matchmaking

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
matchmaking

So my main complaint in CB was matchmaking. Balancing was an issue then, same as it is now. I can get over the painful amount of identical NG decks I'm constantly facing, (actually I can't, grow an imagination and make your own deck people, stop being so damned concerned about winning all the time). IN CB, it was explained to me that as a closed game, matchmaking wasn't a priority. Playing as many matches as possible was the goal to work out all the bugs. Made sense. Now we're in open beta. MANY more players. but I'm still getting matched way above my current level. Only thing worse than playing NG netdeckers every match is playing NG netdeckers 10 lvls higher than me. I don't have a decent ranked deck yet. (meaning I don't play NG) so rank shouldn't affect the match making.

When you got opponent with higher MMR, You should be happy. If you lose game - you lose few points of MMR. But if you win - you get huge amount of MMR.
I have opposite problem - matchmaking system often gives me lower MMR opponents... And I stuck at 13-th rank.
I want to wait longer for match but get opponet with MMR maximum similar for mine

katrey;n8867500 said:
When you got opponent with higher MMR, You should be happy. If you lose game - you lose few points of MMR. But if you win - you get huge amount of MMR.
I have opposite problem - matchmaking system often gives me lower MMR opponents... And I stuck at 13-th rank.
I want to wait longer for match but get opponet with MMR maximum similar for mine

This would make perfect sense if I had been playing ranked. But the matchmaking issue is in casual

supafreaky

Casual matchmaking has a hidden MMR which has nothing to do with the level of the opponent. I've faced opponents +10 levels higher than me. That only tells me they have played the game more. It still doesn't say anything about their skill level.

4RM3D;n8867690 said:
supafreaky

Casual matchmaking has a hidden MMR which has nothing to do with the level of the opponent. I've faced opponents +10 levels higher than me. That only tells me they have played the game more. It still doesn't say anything about their skill level.

Nothing can give an indication of a persons skill level. That's why casual matchmaking should be based on level.

supafreaky;n8867860 said:
Nothing can give an indication of a persons skill level. That's why casual matchmaking should be based on level.

Well, the win/lose ratio gives a better indication than the level of the opponent. In theory, you could reach level 100 without ever winning a single game.

4RM3D;n8867900 said:
Well, the win/lose ratio gives a better indication than the level of the opponent. In theory, you could reach level 100 without ever winning a single game.

well if there's a win/loss list, why can't we see it? I'd love to know what my ratio is. We could have the exact same deck, and the exact same skill level. But because of matchmaking, I could progress 3 times fasters than you simply because I'm playing people my own lvl,and you're not. MMr is great for ranked. Match casual by lvl.

supafreaky;n8868090 said:
well if there's a win/loss list, why can't we see it? I'd love to know what my ratio is.

Because it's casual, I don't think players would appreciate their loses to be visible.

supafreaky;n8868090 said:
We could have the exact same deck, and the exact same skill level. But because of matchmaking, I could progress 3 times fasters than you simply because I'm playing people my own lvl,and you're not. MMr is great for ranked. Match casual by lvl.

That's not true. The whole point of the MMR is to match you with opponents having the same win/lose ratio. If you keep winning, then you will be faced with stronger opponents. At some point you will start to lose and drop in MMR and face less strong opponents. The system balances everything.

Player level is not an indicator of anything and should not be used to gauge the player's skill.

4RM3D;n8868190 said:
going on
Because it's casual, I don't think players would appreciate their loses to be visible.

That's not true. The whole point of the MMR is to match you with opponents having the same win/lose ratio. If you keep winning, then you will be faced with stronger opponents. At some point you will start to lose and drop in MMR and face less strong opponents. The system balances everything.

Player level is not an indicator of anything and should not be used to gauge the player's skill.

I would love to see my loss rate. No reason it has to be visible to everyone. The whole point of casual is for new players to get used to the game, and to test out new decks. 2 or 3 matches aren't going to tell me how well my new deck is doing. Either give a visible "skill rating" or match by level in casual.

Saying there's some secretive skill rating mechanism going on that none of us can see is bullshit.

Stuck at rank 10 for the moment. I was a 100 points away from rank 11 and then, of course, the match making system proceeded in saying "LOL, nope!" and give me 3 ST control deck in a row (lvl 14, rank 10... right... I should out right forfeit when I see these people). Playing Morkvarg with no big tempo or solid body golds, I just can't win these games.

And it's not like this situation is a fluke. Previous rank was the same. As soon as I start getting 3-4 victories in a row and get too close to the next rank, I suddenly only fight against people with cancer decks. It is frankly infuriating and not fun at all.

Casual matchmaking is screwed and there is no way to work around it. Why? Simply because people play casual as, well, casual...

Sometimes i play casual with meme decks just for fonzies and loose a lot.

Sometimes i play casual just to test new builds and, again, loose a lot.

Sometimes i just want to quickly do dailies and go to casual with my main deck and roflstomp people (easy 10 win strikes numerous times).

Theres no possible matchmaking to balance that type of behavior.

If you want balanced matches, you have to play ranked... "but laveley, my deck is too shitty to play ranked!". Play it. You will loose a lot on the beginning until your mmr is calibrated and than you will start to face people with decks as shitty as yours. Than, as you start to improve your deck, your mmr on ranked will start to improve and, likewise, you will start to face people with better skill level/card resources.

It is what it is. Asking for balancing in casual is not going to happen man. Like i already said; casual is casual.

Laveley;n8868510 said:
Casual matchmaking is screwed and there is no way to work around it. Why? Simply because people play casual as, well, casual...

Sometimes i play casual with meme decks just for fonzies and loose a lot.

Sometimes i play casual just to test new builds and, again, loose a lot.

Sometimes i just want to quickly do dailies and go to casual with my main deck and roflstomp people (easy 10 win strikes numerous times).

Theres no possible matchmaking to balance that type of behavior.

If you want balanced matches, you have to play ranked... "but laveley, my deck is too shitty to play ranked!". Play it. You will loose a lot on the beginning until your mmr is calibrated and than you will start to face people with decks as shitty as yours. Than, as you start to improve your deck, your mmr on ranked will start to improve and, likewise, you will start to face people with better skill level/card resources.

It is what it is. Asking for balancing in casual is not going to happen man. Like i already said; casual is casual.

Playing your own level should be the balance in casual.

Laveley;n8868510 said:
If you want balanced matches, you have to play ranked... "but laveley, my deck is too shitty to play ranked!". Play it. You will loose a lot on the beginning until your mmr is calibrated and than you will start to face people with decks as shitty as yours. Than, as you start to improve your deck, your mmr on ranked will start to improve and, likewise, you will start to face people with better skill level/card resourcesl.

Except when you get the occasional (not so occasional) player that just want to win and roflstomp you with his ST spell deck. These are often at an inferior MMR and will set you back a lot, especially if you face 2-3 of them in a row! Yes ST spell is easy to counter with some decks (meaning: mostly NG, most likely consume decks too and I had decent results with NR) but it's extremely difficult to counter with some factions/archetypes (like SK, although CBH is supposedly "broken" it just doesn't work against these decks if the opponent is reasonably skilled).

4RM3D;n8868440 said:
You could always use GwentUp for that.

my antivirus seems to hate gwentup. And you shouldn't need to use an outside program to figure this shit out. Casual should be to prepare for ranked or as a testing platform for new decks. A secret win/loss record does not even sort of decide skill level. Casual should be based on your level.

supafreaky;n8868630 said:
Playing your own level should be the balance in casual.

Lvl is just a matter of how many hours you have ingame, it wont balance nothing because you still gonna face people at the same lvl as you that bough kegs or got the rewards from cb with more resources and skill than you, and they will roflstomp you if they want... i face people with higher lvl than me all the time, on casual and ranked. But frankly, on ranked i dont even care about their lvl because, well, i have the indication of their skill on the mmr right there.

Also, you dont quite get that casual is casual. You shouldnt be mad by a 10 loose strike on casual. Again, want fair matches? Go ranked. But dont expect to have a lot of easy wins on ranked as you may do on casual though; its the price you have to pay for fair matches.

Jotun35;n8868730 said:
Except when you get the occasional (not so occasional) player that just want to win and roflstomp you with his ST spell deck. These are often at an inferior MMR and will set you back a lot, especially if you face 2-3 of them in a row! Yes ST spell is easy to counter with some decks (meaning: mostly NG, most likely consume decks too and I had decent results with NR) but it's extremely difficult to counter with some factions/archetypes (like SK, although CBH is supposedly "broken" it just doesn't work against these decks if the opponent is reasonably skilled).

Dude, why are you talking about ST spell decks?

Also, how do you know what people that play such decks are thinking on the first place? You may not enjoy playing it but, flashnews, some people may and they go casual to play it (and i do it occasionally when i'm in the mood since playing that on ranked isnt exactly productive anymore). It doesnt add nothing to the problem presented by the OP; he may get faced against people with a higher mmr and higher skill/resources on casual because it is casual (and what they are playing dont really matter).

Last edited:
Laveley;n8868810 said:
Lvl is just a matter of how many hours you have ingame, it wont balance nothing because you still gonna face people at the same lvl as you that bough kegs or got the rewards from cb with more resources and skill than you, and they will roflstomp you if they want... i face people with higher lvl than me all the time, on casual and ranked. But frankly, on ranked i dont even care about their lvl because, well, i have the indication of their skill on the mmr right there.

Also, you dont quite get that casual is casual. You shouldnt be mad by a 10 loose strike on casual. Again, want fair matches? Go ranked. But dont expect to have a lot of easy wins on ranked as you may do on casual though; its the price you have to pay for fair matches.

Well.....LvLis not just a matter of how many hours you have in game. You win, more xp, lose, less xp. CB rewards or bought kegs mean very little. They have better cards, therefore they win more matches, therefore they lvl up faster. I perfectly get that casual is casual. I doubt you do actually. And if you figure ranked is fair, I doubt you understand the meaning of the word. I'm not mad at all, and I'm not looking for easy wins, but when I'm lvl 11 trying out a new deck and I get paired up with a lvl 20 playing the NG meta, shit ain't right.

supafreaky;n8869110 said:
Well.....LvLis not just a matter of how many hours you have in game. You win, more xp, lose, less xp. CB rewards or bought kegs mean very little. They have better cards, therefore they win more matches, therefore they lvl up faster.

IF, and only IF, they play this game as much as you do, because if they dont, they may lvl as fast as you do with less card resources.

supafreaky;n8869110 said:
I perfectly get that casual is casual. I doubt you do actually. And if you figure ranked is fair, I doubt you understand the meaning of the word. I'm not mad at all, and I'm not looking for easy wins, but when I'm lvl 11 trying out a new deck and I get paired up with a lvl 20 playing the NG meta, shit ain't right.

You say that understand that casual is casual and proceed to say that shit aint right when you get paired against an NG meta while trying to test a new deck. If anything, you should be thankful that you are facing a meta deck so you can at least have a picture of how well your deck will fair against it since it is what you generally will face on ranked anyways....

But anyways, this isnt a matter of opinion, really. This is me saying to you that dont expect cdpr to "balance" casual matchmaking because there isnt actually nothing to balance on casual matchmaking. Or do, and be forever disappointed, your choice.

Laveley;n8868810 said:

Dude, why are you talking about ST spell decks?

Also, how do you know what people that play such decks are thinking on the first place? You may not enjoy playing it but, flashnews, some people may and they go casual to play it (and i do it occasionally when i'm in the mood since playing that on ranked isnt exactly productive anymore). It doesnt add nothing to the problem presented by the OP; he may get faced against people with a higher mmr and higher skill/resources on casual because it is casual (and what they are playing dont really matter).

Right, didn't see that OP was talking about casual (kinda skipped the last sentence).
To which I have to answer then... Who cares? You can get wrecked repeatedly in casual and you don't really loose anything. Sure it will get slower to grind XP/reward, but you're still gaining something out of it.

I think the balance of ranked matches is way more concerning ATM.

Laveley;n8869150 said:
IF, and only IF, they play this game as much as you do, because if they dont, they may lvl as fast as you do with less card resources.

You say that understand that casual is casual and proceed to say that shit aint right when you get paired against an NG meta while trying to test a new deck. If anything, you should be thankful that you are facing a meta deck so you can at least have a picture of how well your deck will fair against it since it is what you generally will face on ranked anyways....

But anyways, this isnt a matter of opinion, really. This is me saying to you that dont expect cdpr to "balance" casual matchmaking because there isnt actually nothing to balance on casual matchmaking. Or do, and be forever disappointed, your choice.

Well I'm glad you cleared that up. I wasn't aware CDPR made you the official spokesperson. Apparently (according to you) it's NOT a matter of opinion, you have firmly established there is no issue, and if we disagree, we shall be disappointed. Maybe you should notify the devs that you have resolved all the issues for them and they can take the weekend off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom