Savage Bear + Lock Interaction

+
Savage Bear + Lock Interaction

If you play a lock card like Margarita lets say and you lock the bear, its ability still triggers and hit Margarita.
I guess that this is a bug cause the ability should not be able to hit after lock.

This could be a bug, but I also think there is room for argument that this works similarly to how it would work in MTG. The bear triggers and goes on the stack, bear gets locked, and then the damage from the bear resolves.

However, this isn't Magic. So really we won't know until someone from CDPR says whether or not it is working as intended.

Savage Bear Interaction

I encountered 2 interactions with savage bear that I found interesting.

1. Fiend got damaged by Savage Bear after locking it.
2. During the end of round, Savage Bear damaged Lesser Earth Elementals that were spawned by Earth Elemental's deathwish but did not damage the Harpies from Harpy Eggs.

Someone please enlighten me if this effects are intended. Thanks.

Fiend (and other lock unit) will get damaged as the ability activates when you play card. It's basically that the savage bear ability technicaly activated before lock that made it activate when locked. Not sure of intended or not.

Savage Bear deal damage when locked

Savage bear still deals damage to the unit that locked it. The lock happens before the bear triggers, so the damage should not be dealt.

1/ This is stupid as hell (like many things in the game). Why should it damage a fiend before he locks and not damage a medic or vico before their effects??? No logic there.
2/ As if savage bear isn't broken enough, yeah let's make it damage deathwish units at the end of the round when he's supposed to be in the graveyard!!!
CD Projekt really needs to improve Gwent and its mechanics. They made 2 amateur streams to announce a few brainless changes. Are we happier after the patch? Do we feel a real difference when playing?? I don't personnally. Moreover many interesting mechanics are not used. 2 example: you have a bronze unit that trigger deathwishes as Monsters but very few deathwishes units. As ST, ambush could be a thing but no way to build anything around it as well. They prefered to up/down card strengh +1/-1 as if it would really matter....
The more I play, the more I fear CD Projekt will not be able to substain a high quality game as it was in the closed beta. Sorry if I'm a bit salty but that game has been so promising!

Actually the ability triggers the moment you deploy unit, it simply allows that unit to use ability before the damage. It wont damage anyone else after that point.

MrRagdoll;n8915210 said:
Actually the ability triggers the moment you deploy unit, it simply allows that unit to use ability before the damage. It wont damage anyone else after that point.

That's the point: The damage should trigger AFTER the effect. if that effect prevents the bear ability, it should do so immediately.

Savage bear prevents Kaedweni sergents from summoning blue stripes commando. Kaedweni Siege Support does it too. There are a lot of game mechanics involving action resolve order that are broken, at the moment.

I'm writing this here as extension on your observations. Another interaction which is severely crippling is the following:

Kaedweni Sergeant buffing a Blue Stripes Commando in the deck from 3 to 4, the Kaedweni receives the damage so down to 3 and therefore, the Blue Stripes Commando never spawns.

Vernon Roche + Iris combo vs. 3 savage bears. Killing the Iris with Vernon which spawns a commando that dies before the buff from Iris triggers.

Savage bear damage should still be fixed to be the last possible interaction.

Last edited:
That's just how they changed the bear so it doesn't one shot 1 health unites is all. It's really not a huge issue or something, better to have one health units actually be playable than save the few damage

Remove Savage Bear from Gwent please. It's bronze card that makes more impact than a gold Yennefer: Conjurer. In fact you could just remove whole Skellige faction. Morkvarg, Axemens, Queensguard, Savage Bears. . . balanced indeed. .

sund_F;n8919210 said:
Remove Savage Bear from Gwent please. It's bronze card that makes more impact than a gold Yennefer: Conjurer. In fact you could just remove whole Skellige faction. Morkvarg, Axemens, Queensguard, Savage Bears. . . balanced indeed. .
What a quality post. really, adds a lot to the suggestion

The bear hitting on unit deployment, prior to lock, would seem logical. The trouble with that logic is if you use a damage unit and kill the bear it doesn't hit the unit, as far as I can tell. This behavior seems a bit odd, as it works one way in one case and another in the other. It may very well be by design. Personally, I think lock should happen prior to bear damage. I don't care what the tooltips say. Savage bear clearly doesn't need any favors. I'm not sure SK does in general. And... the entire point of a lock is to negate an effect. With that in mind, it really should happen first.

Top Bottom