[New card idea] Gaunter O'Dimm as leader.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
[New card idea] Gaunter O'Dimm as leader.

I have been thinking about new leader cards (after all there were 5 per faction in w3) and I came up with a fairly elaborate idea for a Gaunter o'dim leader card.
I'm putting it here so it can be discussed and to see what no of it.

as said, a leader card.

When played it presents your opponent with a choice/offer. That offer will be for you opponent to be able to draw three cards of choice from their deck, or (not sure about this bit) your deck. the downside being that over the next three turns (once per turn) o'dimm takes three cards off your opponent battlefield and returns them to you hand, prioritising higher value cards first.

They have the option to accept or refuse, if they accept the above is what follows, if they decline o'dimm hasn't be used. Although to stop people spamming it, you can only make that offer once per round. But once accepted the card has been used.

Explaining the ideas here.

3 cards of choice signifies 3 wishes, and as they are of choice you give your opponent a very powerful ability, (as befits the 3 wishes idea)

The 3 cards taken from the battlefield is the concept of 'nothing comes free' o'dimm takes back as much as he gives you. And taking from the battlefield is because it gives you an idea as to what you get.

in the end you will have a card advantage over your opponent, but you opponent will probably have a good combo, synergy etc.. After they chose their cards.
so you are not necessarily at an advantage, just simply number of cards is not enough. but you opponent will have to play their cards now carefully.
The idea here being to 'outwit' o'dimm.

It's very dependent on the current state of the game, the factions playing, the cards currently in the decks (which is dependent on how far into the game you are), and the current state of your opponents board. but then it ultimately comes down to the cards chosen, and remove, but more so when you decide to offer it and when you don't, and if they accept or not.

It's hard to shay right now how it would play given how dependent it is without actually testing it out. Although I have really tried to balance it to ensure neither you or your opponent gets an Immediate advantage.

So ideas, thoughts?

It's fairly elaborate compared to all the other cards.

I want to give this a thumbs up as the idea of Gaunter O'Dimm as a leader card with a power to grant wishes to the opponent is just awesome. This implementation is too complicated but maybe we should work on a simpler idea and hope that they're listening.

My suggestion would be a two part power where first the opponent gets to choose and draw any minion from their own deck and then the Gaunter O'Dimm player gets to choose which version of that wish they take for themselves. Gaunter O'Dimm does give you what you wish for, just with extra consequences later.

So the opponent draws a card of choice from his deck, gets to keep it and then the Gaunter O'Dimm player gets to pick one:

a) Create two copies of the card for the Gaunter O'Dimm player. Be careful what you wish for, you might just see it... three times!

b) Create two shadow copies of the minion as cards for the Gaunter O'Dimm player's hand. These are just simple minions that get their strength based on whether the card picked is Bronze, Silver or Gold with the twist that Bronze gives the strongest minions. Nice try Ray, but you cannot cheat Gaunter O'Dimm by trying to wish for the most harmless thing you remember.

c) Ignore the card and draw two cards instead. Gaunter O'Dimm makes the rules and he doesn't have to twist your wish, he can do whatever he wants to.

I can certainly get on board with him being something other than just another unit. Granting wishes that come with an eventual downside..

plmjk;n7098340 said:
the downside being that over the next three turns (once per turn) o'dimm takes three cards off your opponent battlefield and returns them to you hand

Do you mean 3 total cards as 1 card per turn, for three turns; or 9 total cards as 3 per turn for three turns? I don;t think anybody would accept the latter, the former might be very iffy (what if you or they pass before the three turns have expired?) I think it would all have to happen at once. Something Like:

"Opponent may draw up to three cards from their deck. for each card drawn this way, a random unit with the highest power becomes disloyal and is moved from their battlefield to the opposite row"

Another option, instead of giving the opponent a choice, O'Dimm can give the "wish" choice to the player playing him. Either, as a passive ability:

"Once per round you may choose a unit and the opponent may draw a card (or chooses a card in their deck and puts it into their hand). The chosen unit becomes disloyal and is moved to the opposite row."

Or an active ability:

"Choose up to three units on the opponents side. For each unit chosen, the opponent draws a card (or chooses a card in their deck and puts it into their hand). The chosen units become disloyal and are moved to the opposite row."

I just saw the Gaunter O'Dimm card in a game for the first time today.

I like what they've chosen to do with him, it's similar to his Gwent card in TW3. I agree with LordOcampo that the execution of what you are suggesting is complicated. It's a fun idea .. but sounds frustrating.

jaakkeli;n7115920 said:
I want to give this a thumbs up as the idea of Gaunter O'Dimm as a leader card with a power to grant wishes to the opponent is just awesome. This implementation is too complicated but maybe we should work on a simpler idea and hope that they're listening.
jaakkeli;n7115920 said:
My suggestion would be a two part power where first the opponent gets to choose and draw any minion from their own deck and then the Gaunter O'Dimm player gets to choose which version of that wish they take for themselves. Gaunter O'Dimm does give you what you wish for, just with extra consequences later.

So the opponent draws a card of choice from his deck, gets to keep it and then the Gaunter O'Dimm player gets to pick one:

a) Create two copies of the card for the Gaunter O'Dimm player. Be careful what you wish for, you might just see it... three times!

b) Create two shadow copies of the minion as cards for the Gaunter O'Dimm player's hand. These are just simple minions that get their strength based on whether the card picked is Bronze, Silver or Gold with the twist that Bronze gives the strongest minions. Nice try Ray, but you cannot cheat Gaunter O'Dimm by trying to wish for the most harmless thing you remember.

c) Ignore the card and draw two cards instead. Gaunter O'Dimm makes the rules and he doesn't have to twist your wish, he can do whatever he wants to.

I like these ideas, B especially. But what if they choose a special card? would his ability be then "your opponent chooses a non-special card of choice from their deck, you create two shadow unit copies of that card and add to your hand"?
that is very balanced, you prevent people just going for their biggest cards, makes them think.

would this be a passive ability? so can your opponent do this at any point, just only once?
can you explain how bronze units would give you the stronger minions?

i think c) is maybe a little too bit powerful for you, true O'dimm should come out on top, but maybe you get to choose one non-gold/non-special card card of choice and one random special card card?

isn't a) bit too similar to b)? it a good idea but i feel b is better.

Treamayne;n7116510 said:
Do you mean 3 total cards as 1 card per turn, for three turns; or 9 total cards as 3 per turn for three turns? I don;t think anybody would accept the latter, the former might be very iffy (what if you or they pass before the three turns have expired?) I think it would all have to happen at once. Something Like:

"Opponent may draw up to three cards from their deck. for each card drawn this way, a random unit with the highest power becomes disloyal and is moved from their battlefield to the opposite row"

Another option, instead of giving the opponent a choice, O'Dimm can give the "wish" choice to the player playing him. Either, as a passive ability:

"Once per round you may choose a unit and the opponent may draw a card (or chooses a card in their deck and puts it into their hand). The chosen unit becomes disloyal and is moved to the opposite row."

Or an active ability:

"Choose up to three units on the opponents side. For each unit chosen, the opponent draws a card (or chooses a card in their deck and puts it into their hand). The chosen units become disloyal and are moved to the opposite row."

nope not 9 cards, that would be a bit too extreme XD, nope, just 3 in total.
if they passed, o'dimm would take the cards as long as you are still playing, would help you if you need to overtake your opponent.

------------------------------------------------------

I like the idea of him being a passive ability, if i remember correctly it was that olgeird who went to o'dimm first. not o'dimm making an offer. so a passive card is a good reflection of the game there (wink, wink).

"Once per round you may choose a unit" From where? from your deck? from the battlefield?
Also, if they choose an already disloyal card, does it stay disloyal? i feel it should change it to loyal.

--------------------------------------------------------

Just completely different idea.

Unit card gold seven strength or so

Time Freeze:

Play odimm and he will freeze time for one turn.

So for example everything with a countdown, such as crinfrid reavers (hunters) etc.... pause for a turn.
this also applies to you, so a fire elemental for example wont spawn a lesser one.
(that's more of a side affect, and it will apply to all cards that do something between turns)

But mainly what happens is that your opponent's next card played wont have any effect on the battlefield, until time has 'un-frozen'
you then play your card, and it is placed on the battlefield. time then resumes and your card has its effect before your opponents.

Thoughts?

EDIT: O'dimm could be a leader card, just he plays a 'spoon' card, which does the same thing. just bronze instead of gold, and a strength of 4 or so.

Last edited:
Ok so I finally got the Gaunter card in a keg and had a chance to test it.
I'm definitely of the opinion now that while it's not a bad mechanic, it's not at all in the spirit of gaunter's character, and he's got a lot of character. He's not someone you can shoot with an arrow, or scorch, or kill in an epidemic (as far as we can tell from the game at least.)
Basically, giving him a stat number isn't doing justice to the character (even if it were a high number), especially as a non-gold card. He's better off as a special card, rather than a minion, because really, he's no one's minion.
He's all about making deals that are good at first but come back to bite you later -- perfect for a countdown timer. Also there's nothing about him that would make him loyal to say, Eredin, but not Foltest or whomever. He's decidedly self-interested, neutral.

It's a chance to create several possible "wish" possibilities that are unique alongside something more mundane, like maybe revealing something from the opponent's hand (something I'd love to be able to do sometimes (do they have scorch??O), but then in three turns it bites you in the butt, maybe even very badly, somehow, something appropriately balanced to the gain.

Silvers are really vulnerable creatures, so yeah, surprising. He shouldn't just get elf-arrowed or scorched off the board. As it stands, his card could have been anyone. Only his art and name identify him as Gaunter, but the ability could have gone to anyone. But a guy who offers shady deals? That's unique.
I'm not sure it makes sense to have him as a leader either, though, because he's not specifically loyal to monsters, or to the northern realms, etc. I assume he makes deals with anyone foolhardy or unlucky enough to end up in his sights. He's not a conqueror with armies, a politician, a general... he's a maker of shady deals/wishes.

Lore wise, Gaunter is not a leader, he does not command armies or involve himself in politics.

I would consider him a gold card, no mundane or low magical power can affect him, he is very powerful.

One power I would consider lore wise and balanced for him is for both sides to discard 2 cards, choose 1 card from the deck.

Last edited:
Hyrenapth;n7294240 said:
Lore wise, Gaunter is not a leader, he does not command armies or involve himself in politics.

I would consider him a gold card, no mundane or low magical power can affect him, he is very powerful.

True and true. He is wasted now, being only a 'lowly' epic silver.

Hyrenapth;n7294240 said:
One power I would consider lore wise and balanced for him is for both sides to discard 2 cards, choose 1 card from the deck.

Lore wise? Not really. Balanced? Nope.

It should feel like making a contract with the devil. Your opponent has nothing to do with it, unless that contract involves assassinating him... Lore wise speaking, you roll the dice, not your opponent.

Even though he's a obviously "character" in the game I think he'd be better represented as a special card than a minion. I mean, sure, I LIKE seeing him as a minion-type card, but I don't think it can capture the dangerous, tricky spirit of the character by making him a minion or a leader. And even gold cards can be hurt by things that I wouldn't expect to hurt Gaunter -- he can stop time!

Gaunter isn't going to stick around in your ranks with your soldiers, fighting for your cause like a minion, taking arrows to the knee, hoping that that sergeant doesn't de-promote him to silver.

What he will do is swear to adore you... gold, silver, jewels, he lays riches before you.
But dues need be repaid, and he will come for you, all to reclaim, no smile to console you.
He'll snare you with bonds, eyes glowin' afire to gore and torment you till the stars expire.

That's no minion, gold or otherwise.

I think Gaunter needs to be better too. I think a Leader would be cool, but not so suited to his personality. I think Golds fits the lore better.

How about this as a revision of current Gaunter: He comes into play as a 5 Strength gold unit along with his current 3 shadows, which remain unchanged except they become Breedable/Fleeting, and two 2 strength Shielded Mirrors. One of these mirrors houses O'dimm (randomly, but marked for player), and when destroyed O'dimm is also destroyed along with all Shadows in play.

Here's a different concept for a Wishmaster Gaunter:

6 Strength - Gold - Fleeting
When Wishmaster Gaunter enters the battlefield your opponent is presented with three choices, and MUST chose one of them:
A) Give a random unit on your side +4 strength and turn it to gold; destroy two random non-gold units on your side of the battlefield
B) Search your opponent's deck for a card and remove it from the game, remove from the game all copies of a random card in your deck.
C) Draw 1 card and discard 2

Remember: wording here concerns your opponent's perspective, not yours.

Last edited:
Hyrenapth;n7294240 said:

Lore wise it's not correct that O'Dimm is a unit on the battlefield at all, if anything he much better is suited to a special card.

basically what Danest said

Last edited:
s1eepy;n7295350 said:
I think Gaunter needs to be better too. I think a Leader would be cool, but not so suited to his personality. I think Golds fits the lore better.

How about this as a revision of current Gaunter: He comes into play as a 5 Strength gold unit along with his current 3 shadows, which remain unchanged except they become Breedable/Fleeting, and two 2 strength Shielded Mirrors. One of these mirrors houses O'dimm (randomly, but marked for player), and when destroyed O'dimm is also destroyed along with all Shadows in play.

Here's a different concept for a Wishmaster Gaunter:

6 Strength - Gold - Fleeting
When Wishmaster Gaunter enters the battlefield your opponent is presented with three choices, and MUST chose one of them:
A) Give a random unit on your side +4 strength and turn it to gold; destroy two random non-gold units on your side of the battlefield
B) Search your opponent's deck for a card and remove it from the game, remove from the game all copies of a random card in your deck.
C) Draw 1 card and discard 2

Remember: wording here concerns your opponent's perspective, not yours.

I like this idea, though I would change two things.

The A options initial effect should not be random I think. Let the opponent choose who is spared, but not what they lose. It is still a very strong effect, but I feel it is perhaps too unpredictable in its current form. You chosing what you gain, but not what you lose also seems a bit more thematically appropiate. You know what you want from Gaunter if you willingly make a deal, but you can never be quite sure just how he will take his payment.

B I would make dependent on the color of card you remove from the opponents deck. More valuable card = higher cost. Not sure exactly how, but once again I just feel it would be more appropiate.

Just a few thoughts, but good ideas.

yeah..Gaunter O'Dimm is should be the leader and buff,it's really a good idea.Maybe your description of ability is a bit complicated.

Hope devs can buff our dear Gaunter O'Dimm,He is a very successful character and most people like him and shocked by his great power.

Last edited:
still waiting for a buff on him. they better not leave him as is. the idea given for o'dimm here is near useless nowadays, i imagine going through your deck and emissaries, elven mercenary and reaver scout/fireld medic chains weren't a thing back then. right now all factions can go through their decks with either discarding and pulling what you want (SK) or musters or/and chains so O'dimms "wish fulfilling" ability of giving your opponent what he wants is impractical when they can get them without O'dimms help.
his ability should not necessarily be so related ot the lore, many cards in the game are examples of them not being related to the lore, but he simply can be something very very powerful in this game, let say letting you play a gold card (gold edition of brouver hoog) while moving 1 (or 2) random silver from your deck to your graveyard.
or a legendary gold neutral/monster that cancels the next special card played and remove 3 strength from all opposing non-gold units (a little lore related the special card being the request to know who he really is (which anyone who knows the answer is long dead)).
what's clear is he needs far more love.

LordOcampo;n7098920 said:
Lore-wise: awesome.

Gameplay-wise: complicated.

Sign.

Another Idea for O-Dimm...
Changing his ability to:
Draw a Card or offer your opponent to draw the strongest Card from his Deck.
If he is doing so, both of you get the strongest Card in your Deck, chosen by rarity.

Another Card Idea (Ability-Effect like Geralts Igni/Aard)
Time Manipulation
Choose beween
After playing this Card, let your Opponent do 2 Turns instead of 1.
and
After playing this Card, do 2 Turns instead of 1.

Either you play 3 Cards beginning with O dimms Time Manipulation, giving Card Advantage away, but you are able to Skip Counters or do Combos wich cannot be blocked, or your Opponent does 2 Turns instead of 1, wich gives you Card Advantage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom