[Suggestion] Let us check the base strength of the already played card.

+
Showing Base stat when click on cards..

Hello,

I feel like this topic must have already come up, but since I don't use the forum regularly. I thought I would make a suggestion on quality of life improvement on the game.
Considering many decks have buffing mechanic, usage of Dimeritium Bomb is often occurring play, and I find myself difficult to figure out the optimal play when using the bomb since cards do not show the base stat once they are buffed. This is same for the injured cards as well which becomes relevant information to know on the plays to restore the injured cards to base stat. I understand the zoom in function of the card when you click them on the battlefield is to inform the players of the cards' effects as well as just to have it there in case some players have difficult time reading the stat on the screen. However, i feel like that particular function isn't utilized fully in the game right now. The buffed/injured number of the card is clearly visible on the battlefield screen, and text for effects are also visible in the hoover over screen on the right side. Essentially, the zoomed-in screen is there for redundancy rather than its functionality. Why not add a unique function to the screen by showing unmodified stat of the card when zoomed-in rather than modified one. Now, I understand fully that remembering the base stat of each cards are part of skill in the game; however, as an avid Magic player myself, even MTG uses dices to often indicate the power/toughness change of each cards on the battlefield and base power/toughness are clearly readable on the card. I feel like this particular part of the gameplay increases the skill floor unnecessarily. The zoomed-in screen does not even have to show how much strength has changed as long as it shows the base stat, so the player can do the math by themselves. I think the change will give more function to the screen as well as make the game more convenient to play.

I questioned myself as well a couple of times back in the days. Also thought about that zoom-in solution like u did, because it doesn't take away any clarity from the game.
However i actually like not to be able to see the base strength of an unit and u already mentioned why.

hylisk;n8161960 said:
[...]Now, I understand fully that remembering the base stat of each cards are part of skill in the game; [...]

4RM3D;n8149060 said:
[...]You don't want to spend your time remembering numbers, instead you want to spend your time making tactical decisions.[...]

Actually i want. Because in my opinion staying aware of all valuable informations is part of making tactical decisions.

TH3WITCH3R;n8149150 said:
[...] [F]or me this kinds of error like using dbomb on wrong units is quite fun where games are turning just because of your wrong move & this can be goes in your favor too if opp. done same mistake so overall it's fun. [...]

I totally agree on that. Its fun and it belongs to a strategic game to make mistake, thus be punished for them and on the other hand, to profit from opponents mistakes.
I don't like the history thing at all. It takes away the need of concentration barely entirely. It'll be too easy to make decisions, because it already shows you what you need to do. Not only regarding Dimeritium spells but also Natures gift.

I hope if that change will be made, ranked games will stay untouched from it.

rams142857;n7422120 said:
Example: I have two skirmishers on board, one strength 7, one strength 15. Opponent plays frost. I have d-shackles in hand and want to use them on one of them (the stronger one, of course). Please give me some means to check, which of them is the intended target.

Example 2: the end of a long round. Some twenty cards on board, all of them buffed or debuffed. Please give me some means to check, what will happen to the score after I play d-bomb.

i have the same opnion as you but i keep this on my mind since my last card game didnt show its base STR.
but im forget this game still CB that need a lot suggetions >.<

TH3WITCH3R;n8149840 said:
Here.. that's what I am saying with new patch cdpr introduced card history panel whic hgoing to look like below image.. where we can see card base strength.

nice to know. is that recap or card history when we are on battle?
I think recap/replay is better.
Since it will take time to scroll from top to bottom in the middle of battle :D

I think People that making this thread is talking about base STR in every card on the battle field

Last edited:
See a unit's base strength?

When using a Reset ability, it would be very useful to view a unit's base strength so I can pick the best target, but there doesn't seem to be a way(?) I'm supposed to memorise the strength of every card and keep track of every "Strengthen" and "Weaken" effect that game?

Viewing the cards base power

So, I was playing Queen's Guard recently and they kept damaging stuff and then they used Aard and moved all my Queens guard to a different line. This also seemed to mess up their order and as I had tried to keep track of all their base power I had no idea anymore as there damaged strength was the same so when I wanted to decoy I didn't know which one to use it on and keep the base powers imbalanced.

My suggestion, when you bring up the screen that gives more info on a card, also show it's base power.

This doesn't only help for these little situations but it would greatly help my opponent in this game as if he has a reset he doesn't really want to hit the one with the biggest discrepancy. Also if I was NG and playing Spotters but maybe newer players haven't seen these before and didn't know what their base strength was they would have no idea how much a reset is worth to them. There's a lot to keep track of and plan around which is what makes Gwent a great game but this skill to remember a cards base power and how it's been changed throughout a game is just a memory skill and I don't feel Gwent benefits from memory skills.

Also just knowing where the base strength from their buffed 14 power unit was is certainly interesting^^

This is a great suggestion. At the moment, the card previews only show "Strength". This is problematic since the tooltips use "base power" and "current power", not strength. Strength isn't actually a functioning card attribute so it's not really useful as a term. Changing strength to "Current Power" (which I think is what it actually represents) and adding "Base Power" would be less confusing.

Adding "Base Power" would be especially useful on a Skellige deck where the differentiation matters a lot to strategy. For example, if I'm using a Clan An Craite Warcrier combo, I would want to know if damaging a card would bring its status down to "Damaged" (i.e. less than Base Power). Otherwise, I can't trigger the effect. Since the preview doesn't keep track of base power, I'm having to manually remember how much I've strengthened the base power of all my cards. This is quite an effort with "Veteran" and other effects in the Skellige deck that routinely change the base power of cards throughout gameplay.

Base strength should be shown when unit is right clicked on the board.

There are times when I forget or don't know the base strength of a unit on the board and I need to compute for the sum of strengths to optimize use of strength resetting cards(e.g. mardroeme,..). I think this will be a good little change and will be helpful for those that have not memorized all the cards yet.
I am not sure though if they should put the base strength(strengthened) or "base copy" strength.

rams142857;n7422120 said:
lease give me some means to check, which of them is the intended target.
TH3WITCH3R;n8148880 said:
is is strategy game where we have to keep track of everything & if cdpr going to this kind of help & easy calculations that's going to ruin all fun from this game. Cdpr

well will just help new player experience to see what base strength minions have, wont know each minion's base stats.
Besides people use 3rd party software for base strength .
Ans showing the same number 3 times (once on board, 2 times in the "right click" screen) is kinda not needed and therefore some space for showing the base strength is left.

Last edited:
Top Bottom