Vanhemar Seems Lackluster

+
Vanhemar Seems Lackluster

Well, one could argue the whole NG reveal deck is a bit too weak. However, that's a different story. I actually want to focus on Vanhemar.

While in your hand, deck or on the battlefield, gain 1 strength whenever a card in either player's hand is revealed.

That ability is exactly the same as that of Spotter. The only difference between those cards is 4 base strength.

I have two problems with that:
1) Is it really worth giving up a silver slot? Maybe because of the lack of other choices, but that makes things even worse.
2) It seems a lazy and boring choice to just copy-paste the card.

My "favourite" silver in the reveal archetype has to be Serrit. Oh wow, I can deal like 4 damage to the enemy if I ignore a possibly better play and it only gives some value on turn 1? What a deal! Reveal archetype is sure looking strong! *sarcasm off
Comparing Mangorel and War Longship can also make you suicidal when you are desperately trying to make the deck semi-work

Last edited:
Vanhemar's ability was unique before the patch. But Spotters turning into mini-Vanhemars removed some value from the original card. In my reveal deck I add him, because the additional punch he provides often gives me some tempo on other rounds. Though Vanhemar might be 4 strength better, Spotters have Agile advantage. So in that light he can be considered lackluster as a silver card. If Vanhemar could additionally reveal a card from opponent's hand or become Agile...perhaps he would be less lackluster.

Last edited:
I agree. In comparison to Spotters he's kinda disappointing at the moment.

And yeah, Serrit may need a change as well.

I think that he's quite useful in protecting spotters from scorch, as they have always the same value, which is often also the highest.

Vanhemar needs change (buff)

So actually, Vanhemar has become a bit stronger Spotter and less agile Spotter as he can only be played on a siege row. He should receive some kind of change that would make nim more unique, for example revealing cards could increase his base strenght (if unbalanced, his starting power could be lowered). I'm also unsure about Serrit usefulness when it comes to NR deck.

I do agree, Vanhemar's ability is no longer unique with the Spotter change, they need to change something for him.

And well...Serrit is 8 value silver unit and it only requires for you to reveal 2 cards in order to reach 10 strength silver reference point. You could potentially get more value in the long run. Compare it with Sile de Tansarville which is 6 strength and does 4 damage. With Serrit you could get better results if you are playing reveal.

Yep, Vanhemar should get a buff - the base strength thing seems nice.
Serrit is fine IMO, he can gets around 14 value for me usually and he is good for my swallow potions. Might drop him after the patch.

Top Bottom