Horst Borsodi and the Auction mechanic in Gwent

+
Horst Borsodi and the Auction mechanic in Gwent

So, I thought of this mechanic while going through the Hearts of Stone in Witcher 3. But before I explain the mechanic itself, let's talk about Horst Borsodi.
Yeah, this guy.
"But why do you focus your attention on this guy?", you will probably ask. "Wields a sword, like any other person; has some wealth, sure; but what is so spesial about him?"
Well, here's my answer: He has an auction house.
And that is the mechanic I thought of. Auction.

So what qualities would Horst have as a Gwent card? He is fairly strong, in fact, strong enough to be considered as a little boss battle.If I had to choose, I would give him 5-7 strength.
But his place is definitly not on the front row. He's an auctioneer, not a soldier, so I'd put him in siege row.
And of course he would have the auction mechanic.

But what does the auction do exactly? Well, it is preety similar to a real auction. You get a lot and you bid for it. The highest bid wins and a lot goes to the winner.
So what do we get as a lot? Cards from the deck, of course. You need thoose to win, remember? But not only from your deck, from your opponents deck as well.
Both players reveal the top card from their decks. That is your lot.
Now, what do we use for bidding? Cards from your hand.The starting bid is usually one card to discard. You choose card(s) to discard. When you are done, place your bid. Then your opponent chooses whether to bid more than you to get the lot or to stay out of it.
The auction keeps going until one player decides to stop. Winner discards his bid and gets a lot, loser keeps his bid.
If both players don't see any reason to discard from their hand for displayed lot, the cards go into players graveyards.

But what do you know, every auction house has its own rules and perks.
Some auctioneers will be willing to sweeten up the deal by throwing a random neutral/from your class/from your opponents class card into lot, some will pull more cards from decks and some will forse you to make a bigger starting bid.

I think, this mechanic fits great into the game. It encourages strategy and planing, a decision whether to sacrifice more cards to get this ones or to stop before you lose too much of your options. Also it allowes you to steal your opponents card that forms a core of their deck, ruining their plans, or to force your opponent to spend too much resources to get such cards.
Many opportunities can be created with such awesome mechanic.

Do you think such action fits Gwent? Is it good or bad? Please, write your opinion on this topic. Also, write any questions regarding "Auction", If you can't quite grasp the conseption of it. I hope I will be able to answer them all.

P.s.: Forgive my horrible grammar, if there any. English is quite tough for non-native speakers.

Last edited:
Here's a variation:

Attachments

• image_121670.png
    image_121670.png
    393.3 KB · Views: 117
Illya_Drach;n8159320 said:
I think, this mechanic fits great into the game. It encourages strategy and planing, a decision whether to sacrifice more cards to get this ones or to stop before you lose too much of your options.

You have quite the imagination. The card looks like fun. However the mechanic doesn't work in Gwent for two reasons:
1) No one will want to sacrifice more than one card because they don't want to lose card advantage.
2) Gameplay-wise it requires inserting a whole new control scheme just for this card. That would be too complex and it would break the flow of the game.

Top Bottom