New Factions And Faction Types

+
Hi and welcome to the forums.

If you would turn The Wild Hunt or The Witchers into a new faction it would pretty much break the whole game in terms of balancing because the void needs to be filled and it requires yet another faction to balance. Still, the general idea of some new faction (for more variety) is interesting, but only AFTER the game is properly balanced. The Ofieri could indeed be a new faction. An alternative suggestion for The Witchers is to turn them into a neutral faction. This could actually create some interesting dynamics with hybrid decks.

traeth;n8174520 said:
[...]
- The Ofieri:
In "Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone" we were shown a small amount of the Ofieri, a civilization located in a far away land known as Zerikania. The Ofieri have not been explored much in the Witcher games, but that leaves plenty of room to expand what we know of them with a new faction that would be intriguing to players.
[...]

Straight away I imagine a silver-trio - like the crones and Vesemir,Lambert and Eskel - with Borch Three Jackdaws, Téa and Véa, from the short stories.

Last edited:
TV_JayArr;n8180790 said:
Straight away I imagine a silver-trio - like the crones and Vesemir,Lambert and Eskel - with Borch Three Jackdaws, Téa and Véa, from the short stories.

Yes! That would be awesome!

Thanks for the welcome! I think that a neutral faction would be really awesome. Hybrid decks would be a ton of fun and add a new dynamic to the game.
Any chance you could explain a little bit about how those factions would break the balance? Just curious and interested for a different perspective.

Last edited:
traeth;n8183980 said:
Any chance you could explain a little bit about how those factions would break the balance?

Adding a completely new faction will only potentially 'break' the new faction. But if you would add something like the Wild Hunt, then Monsters also need to be completely re-balanced (i.e. the balance is broken).

4RM3D;n8185810 said:
Adding a completely new faction will only potentially 'break' the new faction. But if you would add something like the Wild Hunt, then Monsters also need to be completely re-balanced (i.e. the balance is broken).

Hmmmm where have i heard this before...

I got you pinned. Yaki Rafiberg

4RM3D;n8185810 said:

I agree that it is unlikely to happen that the Wild Hunt units will be seperated from the Monster faction, although i support the lore argument from traeth them being a standalone culture.
But u could also argue that u can't mash up all of the northern realms, I think it's fine as it is currently. Besides it would have been great if Wild Hunt would have been a faction its own from the beginning.

If any factions will be added, it may not be part of the game yet - like Zerekania - otherwise it wont be possible to rebalance everything - as 4RM3D already mentioned.

traeth;n8174520 said:
- The Ofieri: In "Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone" we were shown a small amount of the Ofieri, a civilization located in a far away land known as Zerikania. The Ofieri have not been explored much in the Witcher games, but that leaves plenty of room to expand what we know of them with a new faction that would be intriguing to players.
I hate to be that guy, but since you bolded the title of the faction, I gotta respond in kind ;)

The Ofieri come from a land "across the sea", essentially in an unexplored part of the world, similar to how the Europeans were unaware of America's existence until they happened upon it. This place is called Ofier, quite naturally.

Zerrikania is south-east of the known portion of the Continent, nearer to Nilfgaard than anywhere else. I think it's a cool idea for either of these lands to be represented in Gwent, but they're totally different.

As far as new factions are concerned, I appreciate the ideas being thrown around but as it's been said by 4RM3D already, adding a faction requires entire rebalancing of everything else in the game, not to mention itself, and there isn't much precedent for a new faction as of yet (Gwent initially being based on W3, where 5 factions existed) - perhaps down the line when Gwent truly comes into its own as a separate game.

TV_JayArr;n8180790 said:
I imagine that would be a bit strange seeing as Borch is already in the game. Also, and this is just me, I think Gwent should steer further away from just implementing countless "muster" (pull rest of copies from deck) mechanics for each faction. They're boring, sometimes too strong, and unsatisfying to play and play against. Personally, I'd like the idea of making trios more similar to the way Redanian Elite functions - play all three during a single round and get a large benefit (much larger than a simple gold upgrade, that makes Redanian Elite pretty bad). It would encourage more combo play and hand value, as of now there's very little (Letho + Shackles + Calveit, or Isengrim + a ton of Specials) since the game surrounds reactive play and putting the most powerful cards in every deck always.

Last edited:
zantclick;n8188760 said:
[...]
I imagine that would be a bit strange seeing as Borch is already in the game.
[...]

He is not. He is as Villentretenmerth - his dragon form -, but not as Borch - the human.

zantclick;n8188760 said:
[...]
Also, and this is just me, I think Gwent should steer further away from just implementing countless "muster" (pull rest of copies from deck) mechanics for each faction. They're boring, [...]

I think it is perfectly fine to use exsisting mechanics, although you are right in pointing out to be cautious to overuse them.

TV_JayArr;n8188890 said:
He is not. He is as Villentretenmerth - his dragon form -, but not as Borch - the human.

I think it is perfectly fine to use exsisting mechanics, although you are right in pointing out to be cautious to overuse them.

These kind of units are required if you want to thin the deck. I use the Witcher units in a variety of decks not purely for strength but just to thin the deck, especially in ST decks which have difficulty in thinning otherwise.

I love the idea of a Wild Hunt deck. Not sure how it would be done to separate it from a Monsters deck but I do think it's in keeping with the Witcher game.

Having thought about it, the most obvious new faction would probably be The Order of the Flaming Rose, the Eternal Fire, or whatever name you want to give religion in The Witcher. It's such a big part of the first game in particular, and is often forgotten by a lot of people. It doesn't seem like it would step on any other faction's toes particularly (first game cards aren't included much anyway). It's got in built leaders (Jacques de Aldersberg, for one), quite a few named characters that could be included as golds/silvers (Siegfried) and potential bronzes (Salamandra agents, Priests, possibly Witch Hunters). It probably isn't quite enough for a complete faction, but it could probably be expanded, and might be the best option if CDPR really want to add one.

I agree with you. In reality a wild hunt faction will most likely never be made, but it would've been awesome to have one from the start.

what about a witcher faction

hallo there
the idea just cross my mind that is it possible to have a new faction of witchers? Witchers got bear ,snake , cat factions, I think there is pretty space to create new cards in this direction and may even create original gwent characters.

greetings

Interesting idea but all of them are either baked into a class or neutral already, and there haven't been enough witchers introduced individually in the lore to support it; OG Gwent characters would be cool but I don't know if that's their next step this early on.

I posted a thread about potential new factions a while ago (http://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...ions-aa/suggestions-aa/7881620-new-factions); the idea of a witcher faction came up but given their neutral status it would seem unlikely that they'd become a faction, they'd be more likely be additional Neutral cards. Toussaint, Zerrikania, Ofieri and a Wild Hunt deck seemed to be the potential options that people discussed in that thread. Personally I love the idea of a Toussaint deck as there's loads of characters/cards in the Witcher 3 game that would translate across easily.

Marcin_Momot;n8268200 said:
I personally think witcher faction would be great, but it's highly unlikely to make an appearance due to the reasons provided by zantclick .
fair enough, but I am still looking forwards to see OG Gwent characters :)

I think a Witcher deck you could play in any faction would definitely be a good idea (and give the game more deck variety, which it kind of needs). It's just whether or not CDPR want to implement more Witcher cards.

Top Bottom