[Suggestion] Alternative to Clear Skies Buff

+
[Suggestion] Alternative to Clear Skies Buff

There are many, many different ways to go about nerfing weather decks, but Clear Skies' new buff has crippled the deck. Rather than clearing the entire board of all weather effects I think that it should only clear the users side. Along with this change there also needs to be more monster cards that can benefit from weather effects, cards such as Ancient Foglet and Foglet are good examples for this. Another option is to revert Clear Skies back to its original text and implement a different change to weather. This change is an easy and simple fix: weather only halves the strength of a card instead of reducing it to 1. This alternative does not destroy the archetype, but it does diminish the usefulness of weather effects without going to far. Just a few suggestions for alternatives to the new weather nerf, what are your thoughts?

omg it's eredin himself. look what you did CDPR, official complaint from the boss himself. as you mentioned there are a lot of alternative ways to not making the clear skies to clear the entire board. i like a couple of your suggestions, another can be that with this huge buff to clear skies they should give back the old ability of 2 weather cards like skellige storm (and possibly rag na roog)
tho as a player who very much likes to play other factions than MS weather 24/7 i support this buff to clear skies.

traeth;n8174660 said:
There are many, many different ways to go about nerfing weather decks, but Clear Skies' new buff has crippled the deck. Rather than clearing the entire board of all weather effects I think that it should only clear the users side. Along with this change there also needs to be more monster cards that can benefit from weather effects, cards such as Ancient Foglet and Foglet are good examples for this. Another option is to revert Clear Skies back to its original text and implement a different change to weather. This change is an easy and simple fix: weather only halves the strength of a card instead of reducing it to 1. This alternative does not destroy the archetype, but it does diminish the usefulness of weather effects without going to far. Just a few suggestions for alternatives to the new weather nerf, what are your thoughts?

I don't play weather but I 100% agree with this and actually thought of something similar earlier. The use of clear skies destroys the simple need to use weather at all when your opponent can hold it for their last card and launch an enormous swing at the end which not only reverts your own units but also destroys your opponents. The change to only affecting one side of the board would ultimately reduce the amount of power swing created by one card. I, however, don't think that is enough. While I do believe that cutting a unit's strength (or base strength) to half would help, this could be taken a step further.
I believe the best way to fix this is adding another layer of weather to each row: a second power level for that matter. For example, using one Biting Frost would be level 1 on a melee weather condition with the half strength effect you just mentioned. Using another Biting Frost would then power this weather up to level 2 ( thinking White Frost as a name for this) which would cause the same effects weather cards currently have at the moment of dropping all strength to one. The use of clear skies would then reduce the weather level by 1 on one side of the battlefield. This could then be used to further expand weather effects on monster units or to create card that only create a level 2 weather effect on the monster side of the board. I dunno, I believe something like this could actually be viable.

Zilverex;n8175640 said:
[...]I believe the best way to fix this is adding another layer of weather to each row: a second power level for that matter. For example, using one Biting Frost would be level 1 on a melee weather condition with the half strength effect you just mentioned. Using another Biting Frost would then power this weather up to level 2 ( thinking White Frost as a name for this) which would cause the same effects weather cards currently have at the moment of dropping all strength to one. [...]

I pretty much like that idea. It would open up to buff the silver weather cards (Merigold's Hailstorm,...) to cause the level 2 weather effect instantly.

Besides White Frost as the name of the level 2 frost effect would be confusing, because its the name of a silver weather card.

That is an awesome idea! I think it would be interesting and add a fun new mechanic to the game.

TV_JayArr;n8180640 said:
I pretty much like that idea. It would open up to buff the silver weather cards (Merigold's Hailstorm,...) to cause the level 2 weather effect instantly.

Besides White Frost as the name of the level 2 frost effect would be confusing, because its the name of a silver weather card.

Yeah, changing White Frost to only affect melee row with a level 2 frost would be the best route.

Additionally, I think any effect that affects entire rows will soon see changes due to the positioning patch. I think the best route for weather is to change it into an effect that an opponent would want to remove earlier or a weather deck to use earlier as well, without making such a drastic change to an entire row. As such, changing weather effects to remove 1 strength from 2 random units at the end of every turn would sound reasonable. Additionally, level 2 weather could remove 1 base strength from 2 random units so it forces players to use their clear skies earlier or it could demote gold units so they can be affected by the first weather effect. Just throwing out suggestions here.

Zilverex;n8184660 said:
Yeah, changing White Frost to only affect melee row with a level 2 frost would be the best route.

[...]

Actually i thought about to let the player decide either to play a tier 2 frost effect or a tier 2 fog effect.
Simultaneously for Merigold's Hailstorm to decide between a tier 2 frost and a tier 2 rain effect, for Skellige Storm either to cause a tier 2 fog or a tier 2 rain effect.

Top Bottom