Legendary Drop Rate Suggestion

+
Legendary Drop Rate Suggestion

I was considering the idea of having the drop rate for legendaries being fixed, Say every 15th keg you open you are guaranteed a random legendary. Increased frequency will reduce the "feels bad" that so often surrounds opening kegs, and I think it would encourage people to work towards their dailies more diligently if they KNEW a nice reward was on the horizon. It also isn't a rate that would suddenly flood everyone's accounts with more legendaries then they know what to do with. With 81 legendaries in the game currently, a player would still have to open 1200+ kegs to get them all. and thats with out getting any doubles. That would still require quite a bit of effort. Even if you paid for a ton of kegs that would be a huge investment.

I know an argument for this is the ability to craft legendaries, and getting all the junk in kegs gives you scrap to craft the cards you need but I don't think any of that would really change too much.

I like the idea of this approach but wondered what everyone else thought. I might be missing some piece of the puzzle.

doctorcheese;n8635790 said:
What is the drop rate? It seems really low for the cost of the kegs.

No one really knows, I dont think CDPR has shared that information. My experience has been about 3%, or 1 in 30 kegs you MIGHT get a legendary. Others have said they've gone through 60 kegs with out getting any. Some people get 3 in a row, its really all over the place and very frustrating.

ValhallasChosen;n8636210 said:
No one really knows, I dont think CDPR has shared that information. My experience has been about 3%, or 1 in 30 kegs you MIGHT get a legendary. Others have said they've gone through 60 kegs with out getting any. Some people get 3 in a row, its really all over the place and very frustrating.

I've got 1 in 70 (I think).. wont be spending money again.

I bought 120 kegs and found about 5-6 for every 60 kegs. I know I definitely found at least 10 so far.

Seems strange you guys are somehow getting so few.
​​​​​​

Please only respond to this thread to discuss the suggestion for having a fixed drop rate for legendaries. If you want to mention how (un)lucky you are, use this thread instead.

Back on topic: Even if your idea has merit, there would be no way to implement it because people already opened a lot of kegs and that cannot be undone bar another reset, which is even worse.

4RM3D;n8638130 said:
Please only respond to this thread to discuss the suggestion for having a fixed drop rate for legendaries. If you want to mention how (un)lucky you are, use this thread instead.

Back on topic: Even if your idea has merit, there would be no way to implement it because people already opened a lot of kegs and that cannot be undone bar another reset, which is even worse.

incorrect and please stop suggesting that CDPR cant implement changes to their game. It doesn't have to be retro-active.

ValhallasChosen;n8638320 said:
please stop suggesting that CDPR cant implement changes to their game. It doesn't have to be retro-active.

CDPR can make all the changes they want to the gameplay. But they cannot change the kegs like that, without consequences. For example, I just opened 150 kegs and I've only gotten 4 legendaries. Then CDPR suddenly implements the fixed drop rate, meaning I just lost out on 6 legendaries. This is not an acceptable situation and players will get mad, which will cause a lot of negativity.

So back to my original point. No matter how good your suggestion is, CDPR cannot implement it without facing the wrath of the community. There is no way around this, unless CDPR keeps a log of EVERYTHING and they retroactively compensate players who have gotten below average drops. But this is an unlikely scenario.

4RM3D;n8638590 said:
CDPR can make all the changes they want to the gameplay. But they cannot change the kegs like that, without consequences. For example, I just opened 150 kegs and I've only gotten 4 legendaries. Then CDPR suddenly implements the fixed drop rate, meaning I just lost out on 6 legendaries. This is not an acceptable situation and players will get mad, which will cause a lot of negativity.

So back to my original point. No matter how good your suggestion is, CDPR cannot implement it without facing the wrath of the community. There is no way around this, unless CDPR keeps a log of EVERYTHING and they retroactively compensate players who have gotten below average drops. But this is an unlikely scenario.

So according to you, its better that it stay broken forever because some people might be upset that they missed out on some legendary cards.

I just opened 200 kegs also, and I WOULD LOVE this system to get fixed. I don't care if its not retro-active. At least i know in the future it will work better.

and if CDPR really feels a need to try and make it right by compensating everyone, they can do something as simple as just give everyone some scrap, maybe like 1600. Every gets enough scrap to craft a couple legendaries. It might not be perfect but it would be a nice gesture.

Last edited:
I definitely feel like the rate should increase as you open kegs.. with the current system you could potentially open any amounts of kegs and never find a single legendary.

If rates are changed, it's not that hard to just give an appropriate amount of scrap per keg opened to players who have potentially missed out.

doctorcheese;n8639190 said:
I definitely feel like the rate should increase as you open kegs.. with the current system you could potentially open any amounts of kegs and never find a single legendary.

If rates are changed, it's not that hard to just give an appropriate amount of scrap per keg opened to players who have potentially missed out.

By "increase as you open" do you mean that for every keg you open that does not have a legendary the odds increase slightly for the next keg you open? I suppose that would work similarly to having a fixed rate because at some point the rate would increase to a 100% chance.

Some people have already speculated that there is a "pity" point at which the game will give you a keg with a legendary due to you not opening one in a while. However, if some people are going 50 - 60 kegs with out getting a legendary that "pity" threshold either doesn't exist or is WAY to high.

ValhallasChosen;n8638760 said:
So according to you, its better that it stay broken forever because some people might be upset that they missed out on some legendary cards.

Broken, in your opinion. Most, if not all, CCG work the same way as Gwent. Actually, Gwent is a little better because you can chose your 5th card, potentially choosing between 3 legendaries.

I WOULD LOVE this system to get fixed. I don't care if its not retro-active. At least i know in the future it will work better.

Once again, that's how you feel. But you have to look at how the majority would feel.

they can do something as simple as just give everyone some scrap, maybe like 1600.

Give EVERYONE the same thing, doesn't solve the inequality of the luck of the draw which you want to fix. Those that were lucky get even more free stuff.

4RM3D;n8640070 said:
Broken, in your opinion. Most, if not all, CCG work the same way as Gwent. Actually, Gwent is a little better because you can chose your 5th card, potentially choosing between 3 legendaries.

Once again, that's how you feel. But you have to look at how the majority would feel.

Give EVERYONE the same thing, doesn't solve the inequality of the luck of the draw which you want to fix. Those that were lucky get even more free stuff.

Broken in pretty much everyone's opinion, the thread you started can attest to that. Pretty much everyone in that thread is unhappy with the way it works now.

If you had bothered to read my original post that you merged into that thread I gave an example of a CCG (probably the most successful CCG in existence) and how it handles rare drop rates. So no, they all don't do it the same way.

And yes, that is how I feel, but don't pretend you aren't just projecting your feelings regarding how you think everyone would react negatively. The system the way it works now has produced enough negativity on its own. So they either take crap from people cause the system is unbalanced or they take crap from players for fixing it and some players feeling that they are owed something. That is the internet, they are never going to please everyone. So why not just fix it.

ValhallasChosen;n8640410 said:
they are never going to please everyone. So why not just fix it.

Fair enough.

I'll mention one last thing. A fixed drop rate does remove the element of surprise, for better or worse.

The only reason some people are unhappy is that other people have been luckier. I think that 'pity points' are probably good things and implementing that wouldn't even need an announcement really as this could make some people think they got a raw end of a deal. I know HS has a system like that and as far I as know it's never stated it was just discovered through testing.

It's a random pack opening. You expect it to be random, there's nothing to get upset about because of the crafting system. The game needs to make money so they can keep making it good.

Taking this further if this system was implemented. 1 in 15 seems high in comparison to people's current average (the OP said this would be 1200+ [1215 to be exact] but this is not true because of crafting, I expect to craft at least half the legendaries), anodically I would say 1 in 30 seems more accurate to the way they want it to be and I for one don't want this to happen.

Swifty4;n8642140 said:
The only reason some people are unhappy is that other people have been luckier. I think that 'pity points' are probably good things and implementing that wouldn't even need an announcement really as this could make some people think they got a raw end of a deal. I know HS has a system like that and as far I as know it's never stated it was just discovered through testing.
Hearthstone awards a legendary every 40th pack if the player was unlucky. I believe simillar system is implemented for epics as well. I find it very fair. Avoiding customer frustration is generally good for business ;p

i'm very confident of there being a bad luck protection system, like every other card game. in hearthstone, for instance, after you open a certain number of packs the game increases your chance to get a legendary, up to 100% in the 40th pack.

4RM3D;n8638590 said:
Then CDPR suddenly implements the fixed drop rate, meaning I just lost out on 6 legendaries. This is not an acceptable situation and players will get mad, which will cause a lot of negativity.

if there is an issue, the proper thing to do will always be to fix it. and if they do so, they could offer an option for people to reset their collections and get their kegs back; with a compensation for the rewards they earned in the meantime

it's obviously not ideal, but the best time to do is early in the beta. (open or not, it's still a beta...)

So after further review, I believe the legendary drop rate MAY need SLIGHTadjustment. Here is data collected by myself over the course of opening 4x 60 packs:

1st 60: 4 legends
2nd 60: 3 legends
3rd 60: 3 legends
4th 60: 1 legend

So out of 240 packs, 11 legends were opened. This is roughly 1 legend per 22 packs -- a drop rate that is pretty consistent with hearthstone.
Now let me point out the fact that 3 of the 4 data clusters above were very consistent in that AT LEAST 3 legends were opened, with the 4th being more of an outlier.

It seems many of you are reporting much worse drop rates, so it would be helpful to cluster as much data as possible about this.

Today I opened 4 kegs and got 2 gold cards. Can't believe it LOL. I spent like half an hour choose 2 out of 6 and decided to go with Caranthir and Saskia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom