GWENT Challenger tournament announced!

+

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED
GWENT Challenger tournament announced!

We’re excited to announce GWENT Challenger — an official GWENT: The Witcher Card Game tournament organized in partnership with ESL.

The tournament will pit 4 best players from the community against professional gamers: Trump (Jeffrey Shih), Lifecoach (Adrian Koy), Noxious (Kacem Khilaji) and ppd (Peter Dager). GWENT Challenger finalists will compete for a total prize pool of $100,000.

“It’s a real privilege to observe how active GWENT players are in the realm of competitive gaming. Community-powered tournaments like The Passiflora Championship, The Seven Cats Brawl or The Gwentlemen’s Open are a source of inspiration for the entire team, and we definitely want this part of GWENT to grow,” said Paweł Burza, Community Manager, CD PROJEKT RED.

“GWENT: The Witcher Card Game was created because The Witcher community wanted it. Now we’re seeing more and more gamers wanting to play GWENT competitively, so here we are with a chance to play against some heavy-hitters, and a prize pool to spice things up,” said Marcin Iwiński, Co-founder, CD PROJEKT RED. “I can’t wait to see who wins!” Iwiński adds.

Registrations for GWENT Challenger Qualifiers, a detailed rule set, tournament roadmap and FAQ are all available on the official website.

Last edited:
i didnt know that trump is playing gwent.

anyway thats a great intiate CDPR,allredy signed for tournament,hopefully it will be a fun one!

GWENT Challenger Qualifiers are played 100% online. However, should you progress to top stage of the tournament, ESL will fly you over to Katowice, Poland, to play against our all star line up face to face.

I don't have passport yet :facepalm: anyways good luck to other participants :cheers:

My all money is on Noxious :)

Last edited:
Great way for the game to get exposure!

So basically ANYONE in the top 512 places on the leaderboard who registers is GUARANTEED to be selected. We can easily assume that not everyone will register so it will probably be more like the top 800+ ranked positions who actually apply get in. This makes entry startlingly easy.

3.3Places. There will be 256 places available in each Open Qualifier. This means there are 512 places available in total across both the ‘Temeria’ and ‘Redania’ Open Qualifiers.
3.4CD PROJEKT RED will use the competitive GWENT in-game ranking of participants at the time of the Final Registration Date as its basis of selection.

Last edited:
Sorry but it makes no sense. First reason is huge RNG which makes Gwent not viable as a competitive game. 2nd fail is inviting Hearthsone players to play totally different game. Being a pro at HS has 0 impact of being good at Gwent. The is not FPS where you can brute force wins by superior aim or RTS where you dominate by superior APM. Gwent is about remembering all cards in the game to minimize risks and be lucky while enemy is unlucky :) HS players are even in worse position as they have no time to learn all Gwent cards as they are busy with being pro at HS.

Btw. "We’re partnering with ESL to deliver the smoothest tournament experience possible." is a terrible lie. ESL is everything but "the smoothest tournament experience possible." ESL has been always the least smoothest host. Just recently They have reached rock bottom with their CS:GO events and got reputation as the worst host ever. CS fans even demand ESL to leave CS to stop ruining the experience. There are also scandals after scandals with ESL involved and dont forget about their evil idea of WESA (thank got they are failing big time in this area). Just check by yourself. In short ESL is the worst possible host. Be ready for a disaster like always when ESL is involved. They as the only one dont even have 1080p stream but max low bit rate 720p. Bad pick CDPR :(

Last edited:
Mak0r;n8114790 said:
Sorry but it makes no sense. First reason is huge RNG which makes Gwent not viable as a competitive game. 2nd fail is inviting Hearthsone players to play totally different game. Being a pro at HS has 0 impact of being good at Gwent.

It took Lifecoach only a few days to reach rank 15 in Gwent, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

And even if HS players had difficulties with Gwent it doesn't matter. It's a smart move to promote the game and reach more people.

Mak0r;n8114790 said:
Sorry but it makes no sense. First reason is huge RNG which makes Gwent not viable as a competitive game. 2nd fail is inviting Hearthsone players to play totally different game. Being a pro at HS has 0 impact of being good at Gwent.

80% winrates showing that RNG is at least not that bad if you master your Deck. Sure in some Decks RNG or if you run into a counterdeck can mess up your whole strategy, But that is the risk you have to take.
And i dont think Hearthstone players become a hard time in Gwent (if they have a big card pool and some weeks to test), Gwent is one of the easier games to master because of the low card pool at the moment.

ImperatorSK;n8126940 said:
And i dont think Hearthstone players become a hard time in Gwent (if they have a big card pool and some weeks to test), Gwent is one of the easier games to master because of the low card pool at the moment.
Being pro means they have contracts so they cant by payed by their orgs to practice for other games... unless CDPR made a deal with their orgs... but there is no info about it... In general it is strange as in reality it is a show match but money are by far too big for a showman for such small audience. Im afraid CDPR overpayed, specially to ESL as for sure ESL will fail big time like they always fail. As G2 is owned by the same people who own ESL this was probably the reason but still it is a failure as ESL and G2 are evil orgs, hated by gaming community. They treat players very bad, dont allow them to e.g. pick events players want to play. Sadly I will boycott it because of ESL and G2 involvement. So sad CDPR has anything to do with them.

Last edited:
Chaob_N7;n8112800 said:
Great way for the game to get exposure!

So basically ANYONE in the top 512 places on the leaderboard who registers is GUARANTEED to be selected. We can easily assume that not everyone will register so it will probably be more like the top 800+ ranked positions who actually apply get in. This makes entry startlingly easy.

3.3Places. There will be 256 places available in each Open Qualifier. This means there are 512 places available in total across both the ‘Temeria’ and ‘Redania’ Open Qualifiers.
3.4CD PROJEKT RED will use the competitive GWENT in-game ranking of participants at the time of the Final Registration Date as its basis of selection.

Im not quite sure, if it means your automaticly selected just becouse your in the top 500.

LuckAffe7777;n8128520 said:
Im not quite sure, if it means your automaticly selected just becouse your in the top 500.

It says using the leaderboard position as the basis for selection the top 256 players from each of the two divisions who register will be chosen based on their standing on March 22nd.

See also the main page where it says:

Q. Can I play in rank mode before the qualifiers registration process ends to improve my leaderboard standing?

A. Yes. We will check your leaderboard position exactly on the 22nd of March at 15:00 GMT.

Chaob_N7;n8128980 said:
It says using the leaderboard position as the basis for selection the top 256 players from each of the two divisions who register will be chosen based on their standing on March 22nd.

See also the main page where it says:

Q. Can I play in rank mode before the qualifiers registration process ends to improve my leaderboard standing?

A. Yes. We will check your leaderboard position exactly on the 22nd of March at 15:00 GMT.

Ah thats awesome. thanks for that info !

maulotov;n8127530 said:
Is it safe to assume that this tournament will take place post the new positioning patch?

good question, wondering that my self, (not that I'll be playing of course).

also, will qwent tracker be allowed? (prolly not but wanted to ask)

maulotov;n8127530 said:
Is it safe to assume that this tournament will take place post the new positioning patch?

The patch will be released right after the sign up closes. So it's logical to assume the tournament will use the new patch. Also, according to the devs, the patch should bring more balance, which is better for the tournament.

magecutter;n8136100 said:
also, will qwent tracker be allowed? (prolly not but wanted to ask)

There is nothing written in the ToA that disallows Gwent Tracker.

4RM3D;n8136530 said:
There is nothing written in the ToA that disallows Gwent Tracker.

true, but seem to remember the dev's saying they would not allow it in tournament play. can't remember where the source for that was though.

thx for the reply and grats on the 'promotion' :cheers:

Top Bottom