Monster Deck Strategies

+
Monster Deck Strategies

So, I love the idea. And, who doesn't love suddenly sprouting a row of nekkers or spiders or whatever? But, I've felt a little vulnerable playing it. Lack of versatility, maybe?

I found the Northern Realms to be a more solid go-to deck. Good force amplifiers, good weather control, nice scattering of combat options.

Maybe I'm making an error building my monster deck heavy for multiplier-monsters. Thoughts?

EDIT: Users are welcome to use this thread to discuss varying Monster deck strategies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like building my Monster deck as all breedable units with Ge'Els + Grave Hag (got all stars aligned a few times and exeeded 40 points on it) or a full weather deck with Dagon, but both decks can be countered by a few cards, I agree that Nothern Realms seems the most solid.

What Deou said, the whole deck acts as a feeder for Grave hag that you keep for last round (I got a 43 once). Another good thing is that if the opponent anticipates the grave hag, he ll save a scorch, meaning that the original breeding deck will push forward. However, I don't think breeding is the most powerful monster deck, there are better combos hidden in the monster faction.

As for the starting cards it is the good option to prepare monster deck with wild hunt units and foglets. They are immune to weather and give me victory in 95% cases. I do not have clear sky in this deck, because the do not need them :)

For me Monster is the most RNG depending deck which is bad. This rule with random monster staying should not include gold cards.

I play monsters most of the time and I use nekkers and spiders for one round (first or second) combined with some buffs (eg growth or potion or chain buff - I play in polish so didnt have time to check english name for it), the I use fog with foglets (also with the 3 upper ones which stack points every round). For scoiatel or northern I need some kill cards like scorch or thunders) and you need to watch opponent play very deeply and react to their cards. I dont use any other special cards, have only geralt and some 3-4 high points monsters, nothing more for 26-27 card deck.
In this deck I can win most of my matches, I only loose when have some very bad luck at first draw and in 3 additional draws.

At high level decks, I think monster will be much better with frozen strategy but now we dont have all cards unlock.

For monsters there is one strategy most ppl use which I dont like and in my opinion can be quickly contra-attacked.
The strategy is to put in first round geralt and eredin - in next we have left on table one of them (thats 10-12 points), then we can put another high level card (grifiin or even ciri which is gold and cant be moved from the table). In that way we have 2 rounds with 20 points each and our opponet must use almost all cards to do anything (if he dont use any contra-atack). So in the last round if well played we have another high card on the table left from prevoius rounds, and our opponent have much less card than we = victory.

Curious as to why we can't craft Foglets. Anyone else not able to or maybe it's just a bug on my end? Wanted to ask before I thought it might be a bug or something.

Curious as to why we can't craft Foglets. Anyone else not able to or maybe it's just a bug on my end? Wanted to ask before I thought it might be a bug or something.

Can't tell couse I already have three of all kinds of foglets. Some1 must to check it. I dropped all from kegs.

I use monster nest most often (if I have some luck in first card draw) - if my opponent wont react fast with scorch or lacerate then it;s very strong. But even if I loose all my minions its still good couse I have prepared already tactics for my second round (fg. with foglets) and my opponent already lost very valueable cards against monster deck.

I think weather control is great deck for monsters. I dont have any monster weather control cards now :( But I already seen this in action and it worked great - I lost to weather with my monster in last round, last card, but still it was nice play and weather slauthered me

As for the starting cards it is the good option to prepare monster deck with wild hunt units and foglets. They are immune to weather and give me victory in 95% cases. I do not have clear sky in this deck, because the do not need them :)

Clear Skies can be useful when used against another monster deck.

For example when you want to bluff or lure the opponent into thinking they are no longer in danger of placing weather vulnerable, breedable cards in melee, with which you can counter with biting frost. There are even more bluff combos for the ranged row.

I've found multiple bluff opportunities when using Clear Skies along with Fog and/or Biting Frost in the same hand.

For example when you want to bluff or lure the opponent into thinking they are no longer in danger of placing weather vulnerable, breedable cards in melee, with which you can counter with biting frost. There are even more bluff combos for the ranged row.

Nice tactic, I think clear sky is now a bit to less used card now.

I really like the monster deck. It's the one I have the most success right now.

The Monster Nest on Nekkars and then using the Thunderbolt Potion is a deadly combo. I also have all 6 Foglets in my Deck. If you draw 2 Fogs, you can just summon them every round.

Also I love the Crones. They bring 21 strength on the board using only 1 card.

This game is so cool, that I decided to do some videos about it. I've just uploaded a video about my Monster Deck if someone is interested in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKf7amUIKV8

I like the monsters a lot so far, but I do agree that all their automatic summon abilities feel vulnerable. And I'm entirely sure that the Northern Realms are the most solid, simple and versatile, and that wins the game more often than not. It brings back the simple brute force of the Witcher 3 version of the game. It feels to me like all the special abilities are too situational, so they depend more on luck than the brute force of the North.

I really like the monster deck. It's the one I have the most success right now.

Honestly, the ratio of people playing the monster deck versus every other deck is ridiculous. this may be because it has the most success rate at an early stage however I'm also going to say it's the most robust (and therefore beginner friendly) until you really build up other factions.

I made two monster decks, one breeding and one weather.

Breeding monsters are superfun, but very vulnerable. I still like to use that deck more than NR or elves though. It's just so fun! FUN! Specially when you get two nest cards and if your opponent can't destroy your little helpers.

Monster weather deck is my favorite if I need to win. All kinds of weather in there. Sadly it isn't a 100% win, but it's quite flexible with different opponents.

Maybe I should also made one deck which combines these two... Ah, monsters, I love that deck!

Sunsibar;n6879270 said:
Monster weather deck is my favorite if I need to win. All kinds of weather in there. Sadly it isn't a 100% win, but it's quite flexible with different opponents.

You just need to substitute weather cards with units creating weather, play Dagon as a leader. Very expensive though.

Maerd;n6883590 said:
You just need to substitute weather cards with units creating weather, play Dagon as a leader. Very expensive though.

Yeah, I have two gold cards in that deck (+ few normal weather cards) which can make fog and frost. And Water Hag (?) for rain. Don't have Dagon yet and not sure if it's my next card to be crafted. All monster leaders are quite good to go with my playstyle, so it's hard to make a pick. I'm kinda building four (five) decks at the same time, so I don't have one superior to focus on and it makes things a bit slow :) But I don't mind taking it slow, this game is just pure fun!

Sunsibar;n6883630 said:
Don't have Dagon yet and not sure if it's my next card to be crafted.

It makes sure you're going to win against buff-copy-pasters almost guaranteed. ;)

Sunsibar;n6883630 said:
I'm kinda building four (five) decks at the same time, so I don't have one superior to focus on and it makes things a bit slow
Same here. Right now I have a blast with Harald the Cripple and Savage Bears :D It's so fun to play... you can feel the my opponents afraid to play units on the board, they think a lot before they make a move. :)

Top Bottom