Skellige Deck Strategies

+
Well u can use your gryphs on aeromancy and monsters have a lot of units above 6 which counters traps somehow.

ladymacbeth94;n7306910 said:
SPFOX plays a monster Witchers deck. How did he manage to get that high win/loss ratio? Hell if I know, seems doubtful for me with such amount of Scoia with double Aeromancy and Aard.

Monster Deck survived all Traps, no monster under Power 6. It goes more then 1 Monster over to the next Round and then he convert all his Monster to 1 Big Golden Monster.

Last edited:
Ohh monster.. yeh that new gold monster is horrible 4 sure. In one of my match opp. had chance to eat 3 20+ cards & he reach strength 70 Kayran :/

No way a Scoia player would allow witchers to stay for more than 3 turns in round 1. And even if he has Keyran, he's not played in every game and played effectively because of rnd, right? And this guy has 90%+ win rate

ladymacbeth94;n7307070 said:
No way a Scoia player would allow witchers to stay for more than 3 turns in round 1. And even if he has Keyran, he's not played in every game and played effectively because of rnd, right? And this guy has 90%+ win rate

hmm I really want to play against him :)

ladymacbeth94;n7307070 said:

Monster has a very good Matchup against Scoia, when 90% of the player used scoia then you know why he has 90% winning rate.

And with the one of the next patches we can watch his matches to see his deck. I hope they bring the feature with the next patch.

shdcs1975;n7308220 said:
Monster has a very good Matchup against Scoia, when 90% of the player used scoia then you know why he has 90% winning rate.

And with the one of the next patches we can watch his matches to see his deck. I hope they bring the feature with the next patch.
I hope if they implement the ''spectator mode'' we will have an option to disallow it.

shdcs1975;n7308380 said:
I very lucky today and draw Mokvarg from a Keg. So i build a new SK deck that played very funny.

Here's my deck and suggestion are welcome.

http://prntscr.com/dm4an4

too many target for base str buff. Would drop the skirmisher (at least 2 of them dropped) and put instead a combination of first light and longship to counter weather decks+ thin you deck a bit more.

No Title

Skal!
I'm a pretty new player and I've put what scrap came my way into a Skellige deck, mostly because graveyard interactions and recurring threats are my kind of fun. After reading up on the forums it seems I might've boarded a sinking longboat.

At the moment I'm playing the following list http://i.imgur.com/Zf62ApT.jpg
Playing a single fog feels pretty bad, but I can't afford Aeromancy yet and all the discard makes running tech cards a bit easier. I keep running into card advantage problems, which could be partially helped by Cirri, but I'm waiting to get her as a levelup reward.
My next craft would probably be Brina, she even synergises with the goddamn fog.
How good are Queensguards without the Queen herself? How about Clan Dimun Pirates and their Captains? They seem interesting, but captains are investment big enough not to dive in blindly, especially they seem like they could easily get stuck at their low base power.

I'll be grateful for any advice on the deck or it it sadly is the case a blunt information that discard is dead and I should look elsewhere.

Attachments

• photo91810.jpg
    photo91810.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 58
Hezort;n7313830 said:
Skal!
I'm a pretty new player and I've put what scrap came my way into a Skellige deck, mostly because graveyard interactions and recurring threats are my kind of fun. After reading up on the forums it seems I might've boarded a sinking longboat.

At the moment I'm playing the following list http://i.imgur.com/Zf62ApT.jpg
Playing a single fog feels pretty bad, but I can't afford Aeromancy yet and all the discard makes running tech cards a bit easier. I keep running into card advantage problems, which could be partially helped by Cirri, but I'm waiting to get her as a levelup reward.
My next craft would probably be Brina, she even synergises with the goddamn fog.
How good are Queensguards without the Queen herself? How about Clan Dimun Pirates and their Captains? They seem interesting, but captains are investment big enough not to dive in blindly, especially they seem like they could easily get stuck at their low base power.

I'll be grateful for any advice on the deck or it it sadly is the case a blunt information that discard is dead and I should look elsewhere.

I don't know how Birna synergises with Fog - she's golden so her strength doesn't decrease in that. Also Geralt: Aard seems too situational for a deck with just one weather card, in my opinion. I'd remove that or normal Geralt for Birna, as you wanted to, and then add Ciri. I think you should remove Bran..even Crach is better most of the time.. you lose card advantage with Bran, which is terrible. Since your Skirmisher will often be a very strong unit, I'd remove Scorch and add Dimeritium Bomb instead, as you don't have any drawbacks from using it except for Sigrdrifa. Also I'd replace Svanrige with Restoration.

KasumiGoto;n7314390 said:
I don't know how Birna synergises with Fog - she's golden so her strength doesn't decrease in that.
Oh, duh.

I've been dealing with Brans card disadvantage by using him with 1 card in hand unless i've needed immediate tutor.
Good point about the bomb, I've found myself often discarding scorch.

Which would be a higher craft priority, Brina or Resto?

Hezort;n7315490 said:
Oh, duh.

I've been dealing with Brans card disadvantage by using him with 1 card in hand unless i've needed immediate tutor.
Good point about the bomb, I've found myself often discarding scorch.

Which would be a higher craft priority, Brina or Resto?

That's a bug so you shouldn't base your use/choice of that card on that.
Ina way it tells a lot about that card's problem when peoples feel it needs to be used the bugged way to actually be worth it. I've been asking for a complete revamp of that card since a while.

No Title

Hezort i can give you some advice i'm playing almost the same deck as you do.
I am in the beta for less than a week, played a lot put 20 in it to open some kegs.

Like you my first gold cards made me play skellige and I found King Bran could be a fun one to play. Until I found out that you'll have to fight against the card disadvantage that he generates, as opposed to all other generals.
My deck list is not yet complet i'm trying to craft a decoy as a good way to gain some card advantage and replace some of the silver by stronger ones like king of beggars and restore instead of vanrige and draig.

I can't tell you if it's a viable deck for grinding in ranked play. I tend to use only one of each cards that can destroy some other deck tech. As i can allways end games with fewer than 5 cards in my deck and can tutor anything with the general.

Right now i'm testing coral and aard as a clean board combo that can still put some power on the board. I have mixed feelings about this. The thing is i can allways throw away cards i don't want without losing value. So as far as I don't have better gold cards to play i'll stick with them.

The game plan is to absolutely win the first round, starting with war long ship into dimun to lower the cards left to draw and also -4 the opponent early plays. If they can't deal with the boat you win the first round most of the time. If they kill it you revive it and go on.
Second round you play your draw cards, no one can pass a second round after losing the first so you try your best to go back ahead on cards, while doing so you try to gather the card that will break your opponent when you'll play it last. Can be clear sky against monster, can be scorch...

I hope this can help you improve this strat a little more and tell my what you may add or not.

Attachments

• photo103490.jpg
    photo103490.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 55
I think we don't need this thread anymore as with new patch there is only one strategy for skellige & that is Discard Strategy :yes::smiling2:

TH3WITCH3R;n7647250 said:
I think we don't need this thread anymore as with new patch there is only one strategy for skellige & that is Discard Strategy :yes::smiling2:

We actually got more viable strategies than we ever did, with the most powerful going to be self-wounding and Queensguard probably.

TheWalkingHawking;n7647670 said:
We actually got more viable strategies than we ever did, with the most powerful going to be self-wounding and Queensguard probably.

Both strategies are old nothing new introduced...

Self-wounding - It requires too much setup but opp. can destroy you with just 1 weather or dbomb so almost no one uses it.
Queensguard - I hope you know that queensguard got nerf by 1 strength & Queensguard is almost a same discard strategy only with few diff. cards.

And if you really feels that you have nice new strategy then feel free to play with skellige.. at least I am done.

TH3WITCH3R;n7647780 said:
Both strategies are old nothing new introduced...

Viable was the key word and we can also add Weather to most strategies, we'll see how viable it is in any other than discard decks.

Self-wounding - It requires too much setup but opp. can destroy you with just 1 weather or dbomb so almost no one uses it.

Self-wounding was the only Skellige deck that took me to rank 13 this patch. I agree that Dbomb is a huge counter to them and Dbomb will see way more play the upcoming patch. However, as strange as it may sound, weather was completely unable to counter self-wounding decks if you know how to play your cards. I also agree that it requires some setup, but if i was able to make it work now, i'll make it work next patch without a doubt, where we will see a lot less Mardroemes.
In case you didn't notice, An Craite Warriors got buffed to 9 strength(so did Crach's ability), Axeman and Savage Bear got buffed to 4 strength, Axeman now gets buffed from any damage done to the opposite side too(Harald is happy), also with the changes to Tremors, Axeman will not only deny any damage done to your side, it will be actually beneficial and it's a perfect setup for Warcry. The new shieldmaidens will be awesome for this deck, especially not being immune to Weather, which means Fog will instantly buff Axemen for every Shieldmaiden on the row, the same applies to Aard. Also, with the changes to Weather, Gremist will be insanely strong on this deck again. Add a Berserker to the deck and you got plenty of tools to work with apart from the obvious Axeman buffing, all stronger than before because of the changes to Weather and all working on different rows. Almost forgot about archers, who got buffed to 5 strength and can make for a good filler on this deck.
If you think all these buffs aren't enough to make the deck viable...

Queensguard - I hope you know that queensguard got nerf by 1 strength & Queensguard is almost a same discard strategy only with few diff. cards.

Who cares about them being 2 strength? Their main job was always buffing Cerys, and she is now 12. Also with the changes to King Bran, we got another deck thinning tool, 2 of them will be 4 from the start and you will have access to all 3 from turn 1, making buffing Cerys even easier and Draig Bon Dhu a perfect play to start round 2. As for every other Skellige deck, Mardroemes were our doom, even more for Queensguard, so seeing less of them will have a huge impact on this deck. The new armorsmiths were born for this deck, so we won't have to run any First Lights.
Btw, when i refer to a deck as discard, i'm talking about heavy discards, otherwise every Skellige deck can be considered a discard deck, because all of them run Donar and Birna, considering they're our only tools to get CA. And, in case you're wondering, that's all the discard you need for a good Queensguard deck, of course you can use more and go for a heavy discard deck using them instead of Raiders, or even both, but those are way too boring and predictable.

And if you really feels that you have nice new strategy then feel free to play with skellige.. at least I am done.

Of course i'm gonna try them all eventually, i feel like NG has a lot of potential and will be a faction pretty hard to play, which i like, so i'll probably start with NG as long as i'm not really unlucky with kegs tho.
You talk as if SK is dead, while only the uber-boring Longship cheese deck everybody was running at top tiers got hurt this patch.

Last edited:
TheWalkingHawking;n7648200 said:
Viable was the key word and we can also add Weather to most strategies, we'll see how viable it is in any other than discard decks.

I hope you know about weather changes. Weather is now keeping all buffs so it's indirectly a great disadvantage for skellige. As well coral / aard got nerf too so I am really not getting any plus point playing weather.

Self-wounding was the only Skellige deck that took me to rank 13 this patch. I agree that Dbomb is a huge counter to them and Dbomb will see way more play the upcoming patch. However, as strange as it may sound, weather was completely unable to counter self-wounding decks if you know how to play your cards. I also agree that it requires some setup, but if i was able to make it work now, i'll make it work next patch without a doubt, where we will see a lot less Mardroemes.
In case you didn't notice, An Craite Warriors got buffed to 9 strength(so did Crach's ability), Axeman and Savage Bear got buffed to 4 strength, Axeman now gets buffed from any damage done to the opposite side too(Harald is happy), also with the changes to Tremors, Axeman will not only deny any damage done to your side, it will be actually beneficial and it's a perfect setup for Warcry. The new shieldmaidens will be awesome for this deck, especially not being immune to Weather, which means Fog will instantly buff Axemen for every Shieldmaiden on the row, the same applies to Aard. Also, with the changes to Weather, Gremist will be insanely strong on this deck again. Add a Berserker to the deck and you got plenty of tools to work with apart from the obvious Axeman buffing, all stronger than before because of the changes to Weather and all working on different rows. Almost forgot about archers, who got buffed to 5 strength and can make for a good filler on this deck.
If you think all these buffs aren't enough to make the deck viable...

as you say we going see dbomb in more game plays so setting up whole process & then one card turns everything against us.. nahh I am really not a fan of this kind of play but still I will try this too for sure as skellige is my most fev. faction till now :)

Who cares about them being 2 strength? Their main job was always buffing Cerys, and she is now 12. Also with the changes to King Bran, we got another deck thinning tool, 2 of them will be 4 from the start and you will have access to all 3 from turn 1, making buffing Cerys even easier. As for every other Skellige deck, Mardroemes were our doom, even more for Queensguard, so seeing less of them will have a huge impact on this deck. The new armorsmiths were born for this deck, so we won't have to run any First Lights.
Btw, when i refer to a deck as discard, i'm talking about heavy discards, otherwise every Skellige deck can be considered a discard deck, because all of them run Donar and Birna, considering they're our only tools to get CA. And, in case you're wondering, that's all the discard you need for a good Queensguard deck, of course you can use more and go for a heavy discard deck using them instead of Raiders, or even both, but those are way too boring and predictable.

Hmm currently mu deck is very simple with aard + coral combo. What you are saying is quite interesting too see in practical so I thinks it's good to wait for new patch :)

Of course i'm gonna try them all eventually, i feel like NG has a lot of potential and will be a faction pretty hard to play, which i like, so i'll probably start with NG as long as i'm not really unlucky with kegs tho.
You talk as if SK is dead, while only the uber-boring Longship cheese deck everybody was running at top tiers got hurt this patch.

Yehh of course as skellige is my fav. I am going to try too & never said skellige is dead. I am only saying it's pretty boring & predictable with discard & resurrection compare to other factions.

Top Bottom