Scoia'tael Deck Strategies

+
After a successful couple of days with Skellige switched back to Scoia. Made a new deck built around 4 dragons. Lots of fun and good results so far. Saskia isn't as weak as people tend to portray her. Quite the contrary...

MeliteleM
Is that your video? Nice win.
But I have to say that Russian dubbing is not as good as the English one. I can only hope that Polish version has Fieldmarshal Duda saying "kurwa mać" in it.

Last edited:
HenryGrosmont;n7447670 said:
After a successful couple of days with Skellige switched back to Scoia. Made a new deck built around 4 dragons. Lots of fun and good results so far. Saskia isn't as weak as people tend to portray her. Quite the contrary...

MeliteleM
Is that your video? Nice win.
But I have to say that Russian dubbing is not as good as the English one. I can only hope that Polish version has Fieldmarshal Duda saying "kurwa mać" in it.

Well you wouldn't be disappointed.

What's a Relentless unit? There is no Scoi'tael card specifically labeled as a Relentless, yet there are three cards that say that they "return a non-relentless unit." I'm confused.

I searched "relentless" in the forum search and came up with nothing related to what a relentless-unit is.

N0Lif3;n7535980 said:
What's a Relentless unit? There is no Scoi'tael card specifically labeled as a Relentless, yet there are three cards that say that they "return a non-relentless unit." I'm confused.

I searched "relentless" in the forum search and came up with nothing related to what a relentless-unit is.

Relentless means it can't be picked up (and possibly reused) again. Johnny, Operator for example, are relentless. That means that you can't use Decoy, Milva or Eithne on them.

Noela;n7365900 said:
I am tempted to save scraps for Schirrú. Don't see good sinergies anymore playing neos, and part of the fun for me was playing around the dragoons, so neo deck is dead for now and I'm trying a sticky dwarf deck and an ambush deck. So, is Schirrú any good for those rounds when you don't have wardancers around? Or is he too much of a wild card?

By the way, I'm trying Iris. I play a lot with Saskia, Aglaïs and weather, and I think she is not bad with Yaevinn either. Or for triggering traps, but I have not tried yet so I don't know if her special ability works if killed by a trapper.

I am using Schirru in a number of decks and find him very enjoyable, at least once I got a handle of using him.

I dont use him with Wardancers, mostly because I think he could be problematic. My primary use for him is in a bait combo I like to throw out. In the most common variation let my opponent play a monster with 5 or higher strength, usually happens pretty early. Then I play Schirru, followed by Ocvist on the next round, provided Schirru was not triggered. The net result is usually that my opponent scrambles to remove Ocvist, usually with a special cards, resulting in Schirru activating and burning the enemy creature while defending Ocvist. Alternate tactic is to drop a spy on the enemy side after playing Schirru, hoping to bait a Decoy.

I think the most important aspect to Schirru at the moment is that noone seems to be expecting him. If he goes down as your first card, enemies will play around stuff like Fireball trap or similar, likely dropping something big and setting up a good Ocvist bait.

I usually play Schirru early, rather than late, to reduce the number of situations where the opponent just passes after you drop hidden card and also to increase the odds of my opponent still having a special card on hand. Nothing worse than a Schirru you have to trigger yourself. Dropping him early also makes him less awkward if you plan to set up buffs.

Regarding Idris I dont see why she would not trigger on a trapper play as other spies seem to trigger traps like the Fireball Trap. A smart tip is that if the round ends with her on the field she will trigger and buff Adrenaline units like the Defenders.

Last edited:
I think Francesca's Leader power should be buffed. Going -1 to mulligan again is really weak. You never want to put yourself in a card disadvantage, especially so in Gwent where running out of cards means that you're forced to Pass and the opponent can play whatever the heck they want to finish you off.

I propose they change it to "Draw 1 card; then mulligan up to two cards." It would go neutral like every other leader power does, as it would actually be worth a card.

N0Lif3;n7543620 said:
I think Francesca's Leader power should be buffed. Going -1 to mulligan again is really weak. You never want to put yourself in a card disadvantage, especially so in Gwent where running out of cards means that you're forced to Pass and the opponent can play whatever the heck they want to finish you off.

I propose they change it to "Draw 1 card; then mulligan up to two cards." It would go neutral like every other leader power does, as it would actually be worth a card.

Draw three cards, play one, discard one and mulligan one would be a more balanced approach. If you draw 1 card and mulligan 2, you are effectively gaining a card advantage since you play no cards.

Though considering the current deck thinning and card advantage capabilities of ST, current mulligan ability can ensure you will always play your deck to the full capacity.

N0Lif3;n7543620 said:

Francesca is fine and is one of the best leaders. As said above, with the current deck thinning meta you can ensure you get what you need (Ciri: Dash, Aglais etc) in 3rd round or well, whenever. I'd leave her as it is.

N0Lif3;n7543620 said:

I suggest you check out King Bran (skellige leader card) and reconsider who needs a buff. Francesca isn't a card disadvantage play - every round costs 1 card count. She provides neither advantage nor disadvantage to count. She has an ability that results in no affect to the board, but it's still an incredibly useful play that for thinned deck, results in you getting exactly what you want in 3rd round play.

ST in general needs no buffs right now. It's one of the strongest decks out there with genuinely unique strategies afforded to it that no other decks can imitate right now.

ManwichTuesday;n7546000 said:
I suggest you check out King Bran (skellige leader card) and reconsider who needs a buff. Francesca isn't a card disadvantage play - every round costs 1 card count. She provides neither advantage nor disadvantage to count. She has an ability that results in no affect to the board, but it's still an incredibly useful play that for thinned deck, results in you getting exactly what you want in 3rd round play.

ST in general needs no buffs right now. It's one of the strongest decks out there with genuinely unique strategies afforded to it that no other decks can imitate right now.

It basically needs a nerf, and it will be nerfed for sure in the next update, CD Projeckt isn't satisfied at all with the faction right now.

nestalim;n7551720 said:
It basically needs a nerf, and it will be nerfed for sure in the next update, CD Projeckt isn't satisfied at all with the faction right now.

How can you be so sure of that? References please?

Yep.

Attachments

• Rethaz.jpg?w=704.jpg
    Rethaz.jpg?w=704.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 36
ManwichTuesday;n7546000 said:

Francesca's power is effectively "play card, do nothing."

If I have 20 power on my board and you have less, then you play your Francesca power, you're still going to be minus a card and losing on board. Her power does nothing to help the board state. If I just Pass, you have to burn additional cards if you want to win the round when you're ALREADY behind. It's terrible.

Francesca Power is amazing.

It doesn't help to recover the board by itself but it help card selection and deck consistency.

Often, ST strategy is to win the first round, that it can do due to the amount of Value and deck thinning the deck can provide.
Then, second round is all about tempoing and keeping your advantage. Sometime, your opponent is above you and you should skip, instead, you're just playing Francesca and keep digging for a safe turn 3 win, while your opponent will to keep playing cards.

Francesca give neither card advantage nor board control, but deck thinning and consistency is one of the main factor of the game.

Snfonseka;n7575350 said:
Is anyone having problrm with SG? Specialy with their last row buff units and having multiple spy cards?

Sometimes. Saving Aeromancy (Merigold's Hailstorm is an okay substitute if you don't want to spend the 800 scraps - just be warned of Igni and Aard) for last round is important against Skellige. Even better is Aeromancy and Aglais as you don't have to save Aeromancy, just use Aglais to replay it. They will rez a lot with 3 Priestess of Frey, Restoration, Sig. I rarely nuke their skirmishers as they will frequently just rez them back more powerful than before. Just wait for the end and drop weather. Regarding spies, I will often use Eithne to replay Birna to get another spy of my own.

Snfonseka;n7575350 said:
Is anyone having problrm with SG? Specialy with their last row buff units and having multiple spy cards?

You can weather first & 3rd row or return the strongest ship (near end, when it's buffed with horn etc) with Milva.

Top Bottom