Johnny

+
Johnny

I do not own this card but I see some people play it. I'm reading the long description of JOHNNY and I don't quite understand what he does. Could anyone give me a real life example of when someone would want to use him and what faction he pairs up with the best. Thanks

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
If you have a silver or gold card you cannot use, you can play Johnny to get rid of it by selecting the 'unusable' card. That card will be put back into your deck and you get a random card of the same quality in return. Considering this card can come from anywhere, the randomness is pretty big and sometimes it could give you an even less useful card in return. Also, because of the randomness, I don't think you can really create a solid tactic for it. It just gives you some flexibility and variety. So mostly for the fun factor and something the wow-factor when you get something nice.

Ouch with this known bug I dunno why anyone would play him right now. *When Johnny is played he does not spawn a ​card of the​ same quality - we are investigating it.*

Knightlon;n7418080 said:
But sometimes he just gives you a bronze instead of gold...

That should not happen, unless you discarded a Bronze. When any card (including Johnny) says "Quality" it means Bronze, Silver or Gold (not rarity). So, with Johnny you can discard any card and get a random card in return. Discard a bronze, you get a random bronze from either deck. Same with Silver and Gold. Johnny, right now, is best for newer players who are not yet running a full 6 silver and 4 gold in their decks. Having less means there is more chance of receiving a second copy of the ones you do have. Example: If you have 3 silver and the opponent has 4 silver; Johnny has a 1 in 7 chance of giving you any given silver card (including a second copy of himself) from the two decks when a silver card is discarded. If both players have a full 6 silver, then it's a 1 in 12 chance for any given silver.

It's important to note that Johnny does *not* draw a card, it makes a new copy of the card. So you can end up with, for example, two Scorches, two Commander's Horn, two Geralt, etc. Additional Example, if your opponent has Geralt: Igni and you do not, you could get a copy of Geralt: Igni but your opponent will still have their original copy (which may or may not be in hand, since your copy could come from anywhere and they may not have drawn their copy yet).

usually what i do with johny,is use ciri on an earlier round i plan to lose,get her back in my hand (6 strength gold isnt good with no text),and just swap her with johny for another gold card,which is almost guaranteed to be better than ciri

Johnny is essentially a tutor for card types (which means he goes fetch a card of a specific color in your deck or your opponent's when you discard one of the same color).
He's mainly played in decks that relies on situational cards or combo decks that want a specific card type in their hand.

It's a very good card and I've never got the bug some peoples are talking about. Johnny never disappointed me so far.

An example of a deck that can house him is Monster absorption. Because some cards can be death cards depending of the situation (Ekimmara, Toad, Renew...) and he can be eaten by the Toad if you don't need him.

Last edited:
I never leave home without my Johnny! He gave me a bronze too. Many times I've discarded a witcher to get exact same witcher back, or another card, like Ciri and get Ciri. I know it's random but still not convinced he's at 100%. Not to complain about having 4 witchers though.

mfool123;n7418440 said:
Ouch with this known bug I dunno why anyone would play him right now. *When Johnny is played he does not spawn a ​card of the​ same quality - we are investigating it.*

Not sure how common this is. I've personally never experienced it.

It produces some interesting results too, as you can get cards from the other players decks. Or get a 2nd Hjalmir and end up with 2 35 strength gold cards on your front line.

Uses:

Johnny on roach -> get free silver and pull roach from deck with gold.

(ST) Johnny on any gold round 1 -> draw entire deck and use 5 gold cards during the game.

Johnny on dead Renew -> replace it with another gold card.

Johnny on extra muster cards -> Extra mulligan

Johnny on Ciran or Ciri after use -> Get card advantage and swap for a more powerful card, or get rid of them if you lose round 1.

etc.

He is a really cool card but be careful of using him on a gold vs NR as he can pull any gold card they currently have promoted on the field.

IAxiiYourMother;n7430520 said:
He is a really cool card but be careful of using him on a gold vs NR as he can pull any gold card they currently have promoted on the field.

So that is the trouble!

Good synergy I saw yesterday was: First round, first player: Milva -> brings up Roach, Roach gets returned to your hand; second round: Johnny on Roach -> different silver card and Roach back in the deck and card advantage.

Otherwise Johnny bringing the same card or different color card is a known bug.

Guest 3973540

I just don't get how you guys use Johnny except with things like Roach and Ciri. Usually he just gives irrelevant stuff.

Just lost a game because of him. In round 3, I got him and had Aard in hand, with Dagon as leader (still not used, i.e. 3 cards in total), against Skellige on melee row, with me having the last turn. ANY card but Johnny would be a win! Yet I could not just skip his ability and had to exchange away my Aard :(

xiong2mao;n7442840 said:
I just don't get how you guys use Johnny except with things like Roach and Ciri. Usually he just gives irrelevant stuff.

Just lost a game because of him. In round 3, I got him and had Aard in hand, with Dagon as leader (still not used, i.e. 3 cards in total), against Skellige on melee row, with me having the last turn. ANY card but Johnny would be a win! Yet I could not just skip his ability and had to exchange away my Aard :(

You could just use Aard first. Usually I switch stuff like Ciri or Ciaran. You can also swap Renew etc.

xiong2mao;n7442840 said:

Johnny can also be useful if you can mill through your entire deck consistently in one match, that way you can play him and get your card back. Which is useful if you are not putting in your deck a Johnny target card like ciri.

xiong2mao;n7442840 said:

I don't think it's a good plan to use Johnny on a gold card if you don't have a clear tactic in mind. I rarely do that and generally prefer using him to replace dead cards.
I prefer getting Gerald Aard than dying with a dead Renew in my hand.

If you're playing him as a card replacement in decks that need this kind of effect he will never fail you.

Personally I use him in my Monster absorption deck. Allowing me to replace Ghouls if my opponent is pushing the first round and we have no card in our Graveyard, absorption units when I have no good target, Quen sign if my opponent play very few damaging spells....
It's amazing how many game he won me, sometimes in a ridiculous way.

Not later than today, I played a game against ST control my opponent was setting up for Gerald Aard on my 15 str Grave hag (yes, I have the Grave hag in my deck, it's actually a descent card at least imo). I Johnnied a bronze card before and got an Elvish mercenary.
Guess what? I played the mercenary and got a Quen sign for the win...

Knightlon;n7418080 said:
But sometimes he just gives you a bronze instead of gold...

This bug happened to me once, but I think it only happens when there are promoted units on the board (or in the graveyard for previous patches). My opponent had gold Redanian Elites on the board, I played Johnny on Ciri, and got a bronze Redanian Elite in my hand.

Until the bug is fixed, I suggest only using Johnny on gold cards when there are no promoted units on the board.

Top Bottom