Milva shouldn't work the way it does

+
pl91;n7500350 said:
thats just my opinion,im not forcing it to anyone.if your opinion differs,we can discuss as much as you want.

There is nothing really to discuss, a quick glance to the top rank shows how ST is currently dominating, along with NR.

There is a lack of card in the pool of this game, and a faction.

But currently the game is not balanced, ST is the Top dog faction : either CD Projekt publish more card, either they buff/nerf cards.

Trust me, it's easier to nerf.

if there is nothing to discuss,then people PLEASE stop opening rant threads about nerfing NR and ST!the devs got your message already,there is no reason to keep repeating it.

Lets get back on topic to Milva specifically.

geok1ng;n7499260 said:
" well balanced card"? let us dissect Milva value: 10 points for the scorch- a silver effect 7 str points 8 value for returning a card to your hand- i consider Milva's decoy inferior to the true decoy because the player can not choose which card to return. Milva is a 25 value gold, on the worst case scenario, more than twice the average gold value.

IF the player tries to keep her for last card (I usually play her the first time I can get card advantage with her (spies, I have a non-gold on the table and they don't, etc - the last card play will only payoff in 1 or 2 out of five games maybe ... which is not consistent enough for my tastes), then the opponent will lose their highest value card - you'll get 8 points plus the chance to play you highest value non-gold again).

I suppose if it were a demoted Geralt: Igni or Aglais, you could get a scorch out of it. Normally for me the card I get back is a Virhedd Vanguard, which I play again and then get an extra neophyte from. So that's what 8 (for the card itself) + 10 (for the card they lose) + 3 = 21ish. That's IFit works - which is not a sure thing at all. I know of a lot more game-changing last cards - aeromancy, d-Bomb, restoration chain in a discard deck, weather + Geralt: Aard, even Woodland Spirit and Caranthir can get more than that in one go if played in appropriate circumstance.

There is no doubt she can be a huge play in the last round ... but she normally isn't in my experience, and I've had her in my Scoia'tael deck on and off since November. Isengrim was an OP card before and NEEDED to be nerfed because it was an almost guaranteed 30 point play in every game. Milva is nowhere near that consistent. She takes a specific strategy and a little luck to pull off correctly as the last card play.

Last edited:
Oh, another nerf thread. Nerf, nerf, nerf...
Milva is the last Scoia card that hasn't been nerfed yet, correct?

Milva is totally fine as it is.
Currently, only Monsters can't match up ST's card advantage. Both NR and SK can very easily match up ST or be at the most 1 card behind.
NR can easily resurrect a played Yaevinn or any other spy in the next round.
SK have several spies of their own, the most in any faction. There's also Ocvist which is difficult to kill/banish in round 2 and 3 because of the base strength buff it gets in each round.

As others have said, holding on to Milva till the end is actually pretty risky. There are many other more common uses for her, such as getting a spy back in hand, or simply playing it at the start of a round with Roach around to get card advantage.

So, overall, it's not a problem with Milva, but comes down to getting card advantage which is one of the most important things to focus in the game.
Like I said, only Monsters have a problem here, but expecting to see some changes in the next patch to make this a bit better for them.

Countering some of the lies posted before:

- it is a scorch effect: you remove permanently the strongest non-gold card from the opponent. just like a regular scorch, sometimes it best not to wait for the last chance, or even play it at all. But the situations were an unstoppable Milva will not work better than a scorch are quite rare. Milva nets at minimum 10 points more than scorch in your example
-over 360+ games with Monsters, i have seen Milva used as last card Scorch 8-10 times more frequently than as a way to get card advantage, for example fielding Milva on the first round to bring Roach to the hand.

Let us assume that this lie is true: Milva is more used for card advantage than as Scorch.

Then ST players will not feel much if the adversary is allowed to play the cards that were sent back to his hand...

geok1ng;n7501360 said:
Countering some of the lies posted before:

- it is a scorch effect: you remove permanently the strongest non-gold card from the opponent. just like a regular scorch, sometimes it best not to wait for the last chance, or even play it at all. But the situations were an unstoppable Milva will not work better than a scorch are quite rare. Milva nets at minimum 10 points more than scorch in your example
-over 360+ games with Monsters, i have seen Milva used as last card Scorch 8-10 times more frequently than as a way to get card advantage, for example fielding Milva on the first round to bring Roach to the hand.

Let us assume that this lie is true: Milva is more used for card advantage than as Scorch.

Then ST players will not feel much if the adversary is allowed to play the cards that were sent back to his hand...

Hello ? since when is a honest opinion a lie ??? Stop insult players with a different meaning - okay ?

HenryGrosmont;n7501130 said:
InvisibleArrow Interestingly (or not ;P), I just opened a new thread in GD - Monsters are way behind any other deck. A shame, I may add. CDPR can still make them fun...
Yeah, agree with you. Let's hope Monsters get a good lift in the next patch.
There are currently a lot of fun Monster decks, but not very competitive ones at the higher levels.

geok1ng;n7501360 said:
over 360+ games with Monsters, i have seen Milva used as last card Scorch 8-10 times more frequently than as a way to get card advantage, for example fielding Milva on the first round to bring Roach to the hand.
Like I said in my previous post, Monsters are definitely at a disadvantage here because they can't match the card advantage compared to other factions (not just ST).
Milva is a side effect due to this, but not the core of the problem.
Other factions can match up card advantage, so they can get around Milva a lot better.
So hopefully, Monsters will get something in the next patch to make them better in this regard.

Almaron22;n7498800 said:
Milva is not a problem. It's ST ability to generate lots of card advantage which is a problem. Milva is a swing card, just like Geralt: Igni, Commanders Horn, Aeromancy and so on. Any of these cards can create huge swings if played uncontested, and that's just the way Gwent works. Milva is a very cool and interestingly designed card, which when played in the right deck, at the right time, on the right board, can generate a lot of value. Which is really cool. Milva is not the problem. ST's huge amount of card advantage generators and deck thinning capabilities is the problem here :)

This.

InvisibleArrow;n7501550 said:
Yeah, agree with you. Let's hope Monsters get a good lift in the next patch.
There are currently a lot of fun Monster decks, but not very competitive ones at the higher levels.
Every \'buff" they get is as insignificant and non-fun as it gets.
idomyownstunts;n7501750 said:
Err

is the word?
Or so the kids say these days...

A stupid question: is Milva the only card in the game giving card advantage AND points? I do not ask why it has strength 8, I do not really understand why it is loyal...

rams142857;n7503360 said:
A stupid question: is Milva the only card in the game giving card advantage AND points? I do not ask why it has strength 8, I do not really understand why it is loyal...

Because Milva works on BOTH sides of the battlefield, making it a double-edged sword. Even when you can play her as the last card, after the opponent has passed, there is still no guarantee you get card advantage.

Milva is fine but the problem is when she's combined with Roach. She gives the user instant CA if played the first turn, without the player needing to earn it. It shouldn't work like this and Roach should be summoned AFTER Milva's effect, not before.

exie;n7504210 said:
Milva is fine but the problem is when she's combined with Roach. She gives the user instant CA if played the first turn, without the player needing to earn it. It shouldn't work like this and Roach should be summoned AFTER Milva's effect, not before.

thats the only unfair thing about her,but stiill you have to waste a silver slot for roach.ST dont have ways to buff his base strength(other than mardroeme ofcourse).all in all,you can get the same card advantage easy enough without roach,and you can use that silver slot for something actually useful.

exie;n7504210 said:
Milva is fine but the problem is when she's combined with Roach.
pl91;n7505040 said:
but stiill you have to waste a silver slot for roach [...] you can get the same card advantage easy enough without roach,and you can use that silver slot for something actually useful.

Aye, the interaction is weird. But the price you'll have to pay for it, is not worth it most of the time. As such, it isn't really an issue.

My opponent played Garelt Igni on my last round after I passed and it killed my biggest card, I feel that I should have the right to put it back on the field........ There is nothing wrong with her and her ability is one of the most interesting in the game.

If you are 2 cards behind at the end.... you already lost. Milva was just the icing on the cake.

nestalim;n7497660 said:
If you pass and your opponent plays Milva, you won't be able to replay the card. It's skyrocket the value of a card that doesn't really need it.

Thanks to fix it.

Actually, unless its the last round, then you will get to replay that card the next turn. If it is the last round, then there are very few situations where playing milva is better than playing Geralt Igni.

Milva's real strength is in the potential card advantage she provides by playing her when your opponent has no cards to bounce

Top Bottom