New Players - Tips and Suggestions

+
Red-Wyrm

Renew can only resurrect a gold card from the graveyard. The resurrected card will be played onto the board and its ability will trigger again.

4RM3D;n8559540 said:
Red-Wyrm

Renew can only resurrect a gold card from the graveyard. The resurrected card will be played onto the board and its ability will trigger again.
Oh, ok... well, that's a shame, i hoped i could resurrect Nekker with that card :p

Public Beta update started. I have updated the Starter deck contents (but not the advice yet - that is italicized to show it has not been updated.

Also, anybody who wants to assist reviewing the previous material can post here with update suggestions (especially info that is obsolete).

Is Ciri still a level up reward? I have to chose between her and Assassination right now.

also something like a general tier list of cards (ranking them from 1 to 5 stars or something) would be very helpful to decide which cards to pick from the last 3 cards in a keg. as a new player it's really hard to see which cards are good and which aren't.

Ascorex;n8640340 said:
Is Ciri still a level up reward? I have to chose between her and Assassination right now.

also something like a general tier list of cards (ranking them from 1 to 5 stars or something) would be very helpful to decide which cards to pick from the last 3 cards in a keg. as a new player it's really hard to see which cards are good and which aren't.

It seems that all level up rewards are random now. Also, you can not just simply rate a card from 1 to 5. It's not as easy as that. As for choosing cards, you could focus on neutral cards first because those can be reused in other decks more easily. After that, you look for the card with the most utility. If you are still not sure about your choice, you can always ask for suggestions in this thread.

Ascorex;n8640340 said:

I don't think anybody has made it to level 20 yet to confirm since public beta began.However, since Decoy is now a starter deck card, I would say previous data on rewards can't be counted as accurate.

A general tier list may be difficult, since so much usability is based on the deck and the player. However, the Gwent Database has some card statistics (deck and leader usage) that can help make a choice (e.g. Assassination shows use in 9.4% of Nilfgaard Decks w/i 30 days - though these numbers will be skewed the first month until closed beta numbers are over 30 days old.

Last edited:
Starter deck suggestions have been updated. Please note: the suggestions are limited to Bronze card selection (as getting a silver or gold could change your strategy; this list is to help you for the early levels until you can get or craft the silvers and golds you want).

I couldn't find the usual "newbie questions" thread, and since I don't have enough posts to open up my own thread, I hope you'll forgive me for hijacking this one for a question.

From what I've gathered I can craft a gold card for 800 scraps, and upgrade it into premium for 400 dust, losing the regular card in the process. Alternatively I can spend 1600 scraps to get the premium card from the get go.
So in short, and for the purpose of upgrading cards, the scraps to dust ratio is 2:1, and while dust can be only used for upgrading normal into premium cards, scraps can be used both for making normal and premium cards. Am I correct in my assumptions, and if I'm not could anyone point out mistakes in reasoning? Thanks in advance.

freeelancer;n8866740 said:
I couldn't find the usual "newbie questions" thread, and since I don't have enough posts to open up my own thread, I hope you'll forgive me for hijacking this one for a question.

From what I've gathered I can craft a gold card for 800 scraps, and upgrade it into premium for 400 dust, losing the regular card in the process. Alternatively I can spend 1600 scraps to get the premium card from the get go.
So in short, and for the purpose of upgrading cards, the scraps to dust ratio is 2:1, and while dust can be only used for upgrading normal into premium cards, scraps can be used both for making normal and premium cards. Am I correct in my assumptions, and if I'm not could anyone point out mistakes in reasoning? Thanks in advance.

You are correct in your assumptions. Either buy animated card at once for 1600 or buy it for 800 and upgrade further with powder.
I fooled myself the very first day of open beta when I mistakenly bought animated vanhemar for 800 scraps.... I did not notice there was one for 200 scraps lol.

Alts-Gamer;n8876360 said:
You are correct in your assumptions. Either buy animated card at once for 1600 or buy it for 800 and upgrade further with powder. I fooled myself the very first day of open beta when I mistakenly bought animated vanhemar for 800 scraps.... I did not notice there was one for 200 scraps lol.
Much obliged.
And sorry for your costly mistake.

freeelancer;n8866740 said:

The way I think of it is this: If I already have the static <cardname> but want the premium, I would not be happy having to pay twice the normal craft cost for a card I already have (or I wouldn't use a premium at all, unless it also came from a keg). CDPR wants to encourage Premium use, so having a way to "upgrade" a card you already own is their answer.

OTOH: If I don't have the card yet, but want to craft the premium <cardname> I probably don't want to waste my powder on crafting a Premium when it could be used for upgrading a card I already own. CDPR, in wanting to encourage access to more premiums, left the original craft process so that Powder can be used for upgrades if players so desire.

The result is three paths to premiums (Keg, Scrap, Powder) and each play can use path they find most palatable. Though I am still waiting for a way to "demote" a premium and get the normal card and powder.

From my perspective, as a casual f2p Heartstone player, I definitely prefer Gwent's system, especially since the premium cards are more elaborate, and having a choice in the way of obtaining premiums is definitely useful especially after the rain of scraps that some have gotten after the latest patch. And yeah, some more options for demoting is a good thing to implement, though I'm not yet at that stage with my collection.

..==>BEST TIP

NEVER PLAY NILFGAARD...!!!

ps. dont listen to others just check all the high players what decks are using so you will understand what I mean. ..and btw the dev they don't care about nilf decks since they made the game. They took the Witcher quest seriously.

Greetings everyone. I'm a new player who bought 25 kegs before the latest patch so I'm sitting at a little bit more than 3100 scraps. I currently exclusively play a Monsters deck and I'm getting a little bit bored of it. I have only crafted the essential silvers for the deck, plus Caranthir. If I want to expand and try some more factions, My question is: should I craft neutral Gold cards or try to finish my Monsters deck?

malakomunis;n9023960 said:
..==>BEST TIP

NEVER PLAY NILFGAARD...!!!

ps. dont listen to others just check all the high players what decks are using so you will understand what I mean. ..and btw the dev they don't care about nilf decks since they made the game. They took the Witcher quest seriously.

Not very helpful as a tip. As patches and abilities change, each faction has been the best and worst at some point. Really, it's just a game, so people should play what they enjoy, whether it is the strongest, weakest or in between.

Karlof;n9047230 said:
Greetings everyone. I'm a new player who bought 25 kegs before the latest patch so I'm sitting at a little bit more than 3100 scraps. I currently exclusively play a Monsters deck and I'm getting a little bit bored of it. I have only crafted the essential silvers for the deck, plus Caranthir. If I want to expand and try some more factions, My question is: should I craft neutral Gold cards or try to finish my Monsters deck?

There's a lot of good info here.

With 3100 scarp to start with, I would suggest a neutral gold or two, and some silvers for the factions you are considering trying. That way you can build a few decks and try things around to see what else you enjoy. With, of course, my standard caveat of making sure you have 3 of each staple bronze you are going to work with to make sure your decks have consistency.

Hi all, this is my first post and I just want to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread! Its a great start for a beginner like me while im fighting through the challanges and learning the game!

I started playing just the other day so have no previous experience with Gwent (aside from within the amazing TW3) but so far it seems like such a solid game! I loved it in TW3 and having it as a fully fledged game on its own is great!

Looking forward to learn this one!

Hello. I would like to express my wish. Make heroes more worthwhile (add strength, armor, more skills) or add platinum cards. It's a shame that Geralt is so weak.
And additionally add a little music from the soundtrack to the cards. Thank you.

Top Bottom