Weather unbalanced

+
Weather unbalanced

After update Clear Skies is useless against Monsters. Monster deck + Skellige Storm is practically unbeatable against other Factions. Making Clear Skies effective for two but not one row will fix it.

Weather got more powerful, that is true. With the Clear Skies nerf weather spam became truly a force of nature...but this also encouraged people to use alternate ways to deal with weather. Gold cards, removing enemy strength and timely application of blizzard potion are some of those options.

Ugralitan;n7731550 said:
Weather got more powerful, that is true. With the Clear Skies nerf weather spam became truly a force of nature...but this also encouraged people to use alternate ways to deal with weather. Gold cards, removing enemy strength and timely application of blizzard potion are some of those options.

I understand but don't you think that if there is a double weather offence there should be double weather defense especially if it became spam play. This was too excessive nerf.

I personaly don't think it's unbalanced. clear skies has been nerfed but I'm agree with that. It was unfair that a bronze card could deal with any weather card including silver and gold.
On the other hand some changed has been made against weather as well, now units that are immune to weather are immune to all their effect (which sure benefits weather strategy but also works for countering it).

Not to mention, THE best improvement of the weather system imo, now the game keeps in mind the power of your units before weather is appiled and brings them back to that value if you manage to remove the effect.
That's something I always found unfair in the previous system, you invest some resources to make a big fat units and weather just erased everything in one go. It's not the case anymore and that's a really good thing.

I have a feeling that unit cards with clear weather effects for their ability are going to need to become a thing, some what like the new armour smith for SK. As it is dagon decks often have way in excess of 10 weather applications - ragh and the 3 silvers make 9 from 4 cards, there's often far fewer options to remove the effects.

GenLiu;n7737020 said:
I personaly don't think it's unbalanced. clear skies has been nerfed but I'm agree with that. It was unfair that a bronze card could deal with any weather card including silver and gold.
On the other hand some changed has been made against weather as well, now units that are immune to weather are immune to all their effect (which sure benefits weather strategy but also works for countering it).

Not to mention, THE best improvement of the weather system imo, now the game keeps in mind the power of your units before weather is appiled and brings them back to that value if you manage to remove the effect.
That's something I always found unfair in the previous system, you invest some resources to make a big fat units and weather just erased everything in one go. It's not the case anymore and that's a really good thing.

I disagree. there are too many cards with weather effect on multiple rows but no card on countering weather on more than one row. you can play attack on all board or 2/3 of it but defense is just for one row.
Rally and clear skies should be separate and silver + multiple row effect for clear skies.

Ragh nar roog, merigolds hailstorm, skellige storm, white frost, all multiple row effect . there should be at least one card for multiple (2) row defense

silver separate clear skies for two rows but now all three is more balanced that current nerf. I haven't played much after nerf but this is what I think at the moment

I think there are enough ways to deal with weather and every faction has at least one weather immune card. Also I think the change to FL was good. Of course I understand that especially beginners are struggling with weather.

Still I would find it interesting if replaying for example frost on an already frosted row neutralized the weather effect on this row. Maybe that would force people to be a bit more careful with weather. But that idea would bring other issues.

Last edited:
If I may add something, I think one of the problem of the weather mecanics is that there is no ''sidedeck'' in gwent.

Without sidedeck, you must have a deck prepared to deal with everything at anytime, making a lot of archetypes stronger then others.

The weather control is a difficult mechanic in this sutuation, since some decks would need to run a lot of support card to deal with weather and still be succesfull. But, those deck will suffer from deck that only have one Aeromancy or not even one weather effect, since there support would be useless/less effective.

So each deck in the end look similar. You need to be able to dig for answers and fight for the CA in order to cancel the weather or play a trump card that change the state of the board after the opponent has passed. All the Gwent strategies are about that and how to force your opponent to make some plays.

This is what makes Gwent a great game, but also blocks strategies. Some cards will never see play because they do not help the general strategy of the game or are not enough versatile to fit in enough situations.

Yes I know, there is a lot of play to do against weather and any strategy, I am not telling the opposite. I am only trying to say that this gameplay (to be able to fight most of the decks in the main deck) will make deck diversity hard.

I am afraid the differents metas will always be of a limited pool of cards, like the last one having two strong decks that leaded everything.

onelung;n7736670 said:
I understand but don't you think that if there is a double weather offence there should be double weather defense especially if it became spam play. This was too excessive nerf.

Perhaps there could be a 800 scrap First Light which can either summon a non-gold unit or clear all the weather. A powerful yet limited card.

On the other hand nowadays I prefer to play around weather rather then play against weather. Blizzard potions are very effective with a bit of right timing. Especially when the enemy decides to buff their Foglets when they are deprived of other options...blizzard acts as the killer potion.

Ugralitan;n7739420 said:
Perhaps there could be a 800 scrap First Light which can either summon a non-gold unit or clear all the weather. A powerful yet limited card.

Might be an acceptable solution.

I've only got into the beta since the nilf fraction was added to the game.

I'm level 13 and 70% of the decks I meet in ranked are weather spam monster decks.
It's not fun at all since they have units spawning weather.

Do they even need to have the weather in their decks? Units spawning weather should only be allowed to do so by playing it from the deck. I hope that is the case.

The only unit I can think of which removes a weather effect is a griffin which is funny enough a monster card

Current First Light is now pretty balance. If you have struggle agains't weathers, it is either your deck is really bad built, either it has naturally a bad match-up agains't it -which had to happen-.

ispyy;n7789040 said:
I've only got into the beta since the nilf fraction was added to the game.

I'm level 13 and 70% of the decks I meet in ranked are weather spam monster decks.
It's not fun at all since they have units spawning weather.

Do they even need to have the weather in their decks? Units spawning weather should only be allowed to do so by playing it from the deck. I hope that is the case.

The only unit I can think of which removes a weather effect is a griffin which is funny enough a monster card

funny enough they dont need to have the weather in their deck(a nerf which i suggested like 2 months ago,but apparentnly they dont like it).
the bad thing with weather right now is that the only cards that counter it are first light (kind of),dbomb(kind of),and weather immune units(so some skellige,and some other monster decks :D).hopefully in the future we are gonna get some more.

After reading most of the comments I still think weather has become unbalanced since Clear Skies has been nerfed. Highly unbalanced.

Yes, it's true you can still come up with strategies to deal with weather effects, but most are mere palliatives that in no way make up for the power of weather, let alone counter it.

If you think about it, the only real options are using a weather-heavy deck yourself, getting lucky with Northern Realms (mainly Henselt), or using a rather limited Skellige deck. Otherwise, Scoia'tael and Nilfgaard (already quite weak in comparison with the rest of the decks, though I blame it on being the newest deck) are almost useless, and many Skellige, Northern Realms and Monsters decks are severely impaired.

Don't get me wrong, the game is still pretty much enjoyable, but deck diversity is a key factor and these recent changes cut that aspect way too short IMHO.

Weather is not even played at high level beside Schmuddel's version which is not very popular. The only reason that deck is played is due to his excellent MU on Consume Monster and NG Morvran Cow Control.

Otherwise Weather doesn't steamroll anything else, if you have trouble with it and you don't play either Consume or NG, I suggest you to read some guides.

I would love to have a Gold weather card available that clears weather on all rows. And a silver card that clears weather on two rows of your choice. It would only make sense in a small number of decks, but it would give people the option to prepare more for weather at the cost of a gold or silver card....

just a thought...

Top Bottom