Nilfgaard's answer to Swim's Dorf Hybrid and Radovid control (gwentDB build included)

+
Nilfgaard's answer to Swim's Dorf Hybrid and Radovid control (gwentDB build included)

N.JPG

GwentDB Build

This power build can easily surpass Swim's Dorf Hybrid relying on base strength and utilizes the seldom seen Nauzica Standard Bearer which gives a 2 buff on the row. Rather than running commanders horn to buff your side you want dimeritium bomb to erase your opponents side if you are matched against swim's dorf hybrid as he can out-buff but never out-base your capability. Stefan Skellen combined with your leader ability means you can reliably pull Dbomb and or Letho to completely flatten his chances. Letho consumes the mahakam defenders and dbomb removes the superior buffs that hawker healers put down.

The sheer high base strength of this build can also power through Radovid removal. I believe this is the most reliable and powerful deck against the 4 most common decks currently in play (radovid control, nilfgaard control, swims dorf hybrid, monster consume) as the raw strength here combined with locking cards / letho / dbomb can thwart and deny them all while putting staggered base power (5, 7, 8, 11) down in a single, manageable row, faster than any other faction can muster.

I developed and have been playing this deck for the last day and haven't come against anything like it in the past so rather than waiting for someone else to publish my deck I figured I ought to get this up. Here's looking forward to a more diverse meta. Enjoy!

General Guide:

You want to hold 1 witcher and as many first lights (for thinning or for clearing the row if matched against weather) and Nauzica Standard Bearer's as possible in your initial draw during mulligan as you want your first light's to draw your base value cards for you.

First card down should always be Regis when you draw him as that allows you the option to use epidemic on anything your opponent puts down if you so desire, otherwise just begin with witchers and then staggering different value cards on the table to prevent scorch from doing much damage if present. Play this basically like swim's dorf hybrid and use letho to banish whatever annoying cards your opponents deck has or as a last line of defense against the kambi apocolypse or villentretenmerth.

Assuming you were able to play him in round one, Regis higher vampire in round 2 allows you to either pass and force your opponent to lose card advantage or a gold card or springboard ahead to seal the win as you absolutely should have won round one unless your draw uncommonly didn't allow for it (biggest hit is missing a witcher draw in which case I'd pass early in round 1 and try again in round 2 since Nilfgaard's mulligan gives you the best odds of any faction to get witchers in round 2)

If your hand lacks Auckes and Cleaver then Epidemic ought to be reserved if your opponent plays rot tossers to prevent your row from being eaten from the bottom up.

Attachments

• N.JPG
    N.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
dwarves are vulnerable due to all the reliance on base 4 strength mahakam defenders and radovid doesnt play that much power so maybe this can work against those

but this deck will have hard time against hungry monsters or SK axemen deck, against monsters even if you manage somehow to stay on-par with them in strength (not very likely) you'll definitely give in once 10-15 strength nekkers pop out in the last round

Lexandre;n7826910 said:
against monsters even if you manage somehow to stay on-par with them in strength (not very likely) you'll definitely give in once 10-15 strength nekkers pop out in the last round

Nilfgaard has more tools to counter these strategies than any other faction has.

Monster consume has no base strength except for crones, all the others cards rely on consume which is why you use Auckes and cleaver to lock the vran warriors which are fueling the whole thing or use letho to banish the necessary cards. If he uses monster nest on neckers or eggs you can use epidemic to wipe them away or as a last resort if you missed these other cards in the initial draw at least get dbomb to use as the final card resetting to the low value base they have.

As far as SK axemen... same thing, but even easier to manage, lock them with Aukes and cleaver or preferably banish them outright with letho and he's done, no hope of outpacing your cards from then on.

Last edited:
What do you think about replacing Auckes or Cleaver for Skellige Storm? As you have no units there. Other than that, damn, I wonder if this deck will get popular. Do you have any way to deal with Borkh though? Outside of dbomb + Letho/lock (you may not have both in hand).

KasumiGoto;n7830070 said:
What do you think about replacing Auckes or Cleaver for Skellige Storm? As you have no units there. Other than that, damn, I wonder if this deck will get popular. Do you have any way to deal with Borkh though? Outside of dbomb + Letho/lock (you may not have both in hand).

As far as SK storm the only inhibition I have with adding weather cards to this deck is the current match-making system would then tend to match you vs other players with weather cards in their deck which is less ideal, but it's up to experimentation, find what works for you and the matches you get. I use the two to lock down SK axemen, monsters consume key cards and the like, without them I feel this is less competitive but again... decide based on the matches you find yourself in the most with each set of cards in your deck.

Borkh is admittedly the hardest card to counter however this deck is based on the concept of swims dorf hybrid deck and is in the same place of pain as that top-tier deck as far as Borkh goes but at least you do have an option unlike that deck which has no chance of avoiding it. Typically your opponent uses him in rounds two or three when you have fewer cards on the table and he's holding all his gold cards so Letho is the ideal choice to consume your own units immediately before borkh triggers, otherwise you are relying on the staggered strengths of your units the same as swims deck in order to escape annihilation (5, 6, 7, 8, 11) so you want to play fewer of the high value targets when you expect Borkh to be coming out.

I always aim to take out Radovids 4 and 5 strength unit spam in round one with epidemic so if Borkh is then played in round one you always have the option to immediately pass as your side of the board should have well outpaced him in strength with witchers and an 8 or 11 card so now he has to lose card advantage waiting for the timer countdown.

Chaob_N7;n7830390 said:
Borkh is admittedly the hardest card to counter however this deck is based on the concept of swims dorf hybrid deck and is in the same place of pain as that top-tier deck as far as Borkh goes but at least you do have an option unlike that deck which has no chance of avoiding it.

Well Swim's deck has Iorveth + Eithne which can shut down Borkh as well.

KasumiGoto;n7830840 said:
Well Swim's deck has Iorveth + Eithne which can shut down Borkh as well.

True, sorry forgot about that. However that is one card in 25 for a faction that has no way of getting to cards not held in the initial draw whereas Nilfgaard has Morvran + Skellen to much more reliably draw the counter cards, in fact more often than not you will be able to get the exact cards you need.

This deck finally pushed me over rank 14 today... currently sitting at 79% win rate out of 15 games in ranked play. I'm happy with this. Biggest advantage has been top-decking the card I need with Stefan Skellen, I really think this faction, card, and leader will be painfully dominating the meta in the next couple weeks.

Chaob_N7;n7829630 said:
Nilfgaard has more tools to counter these strategies than any other faction has.

Monster consume has no base strength except for crones, all the others cards rely on consume which is why you use Auckes and cleaver to lock the vran warriors which are fueling the whole thing or use letho to banish the necessary cards. If he uses monster nest on neckers or eggs you can use epidemic to wipe them away or as a last resort if you missed these other cards in the initial draw at least get dbomb to use as the final card resetting to the low value base they have.

As far as SK axemen... same thing, but even easier to manage, lock them with Aukes and cleaver or preferably banish them outright with letho and he's done, no hope of outpacing your cards from then on.

cleaver and auckes are 2 silver cards, vrans have 3 copies and they can be drawn by first light, not to mention that there is a bunch of other consume effects even without them: Kayran, ekimmas/ghouls whichever ones are preferred, the frog

crones+yennefer start will easily overwhelm and outvalue you since you dont have your own yenn and neither can remove theirs

axemen arent a problem anymore since last patch, monster consume is still rather strong if played properly, at least there is some decision-making involved finally

Lexandre;n7834910 said:
cleaver and auckes are 2 silver cards, vrans have 3 copies and they can be drawn by first light, not to mention that there is a bunch of other consume effects even without them: Kayran, ekimmas/ghouls whichever ones are preferred, the frog

crones+yennefer start will easily overwhelm and outvalue you since you dont have your own yenn and neither can remove theirs

axemen arent a problem anymore since last patch, monster consume is still rather strong if played properly, at least there is some decision-making involved finally

I've played several games vs monster consume already, cleaver, auckes, letho, dbomb = 4 main cards + 2 epidemic. Haven't had any trouble against rank 13-14 players with the exact decks you're talking about.

Chaob_N7;n7835790 said:
I've played several games vs monster consume already, cleaver, auckes, letho, dbomb = 4 main cards + 2 epidemic. Haven't had any trouble against rank 13-14 players with the exact decks you're talking about.

well its nice then if your deck is working for you, always good to see when the game isnt limited to some stale meta

Well it works not really good for me so far - I lost 7 of 10 games mostly against monster and Skellige ... good to see it works for you

LadyAly;n7836460 said:
Well it works not really good for me so far - I lost 7 of 10 games mostly against monster and Skellige ... good to see it works for you

How do you fair with swim's ST deck for comparison?

Top Bottom