How to deal with Eithne special cards deck?

+
I main a "non-pure" variation of this deck:

Eithne
Vill - Yen: the Conjurer - Aglais - Schirru
White Frost - Scorch - Last Wish - Nature's Gift - Yaevinn - Ida Emean
First Light x 3 - DB Protector x 3 - Azur's Thunder x 2 - Dshackle x 2 - Hawker Support x 2 - DB Trapper x 2 - Epidemic x 1

I'm shocked more of these decks don't use hawker supports to buff one of the DB Protectors to make sure you don't lose them all to one late scorch. Also I'm shocked to hear that most versions of this deck don't seem to care about CA. Everyone knows it will save DBPs for the end. Having the last card is very important.

Few thoughts on the suggestions here - Playing round 1 to win is definitely a must for opponents. Round two I normally just play Yaevinn and pass unless the first round doesn't go according to plan. I don't give up if I lose round one ... but know that I have a 25% or so chance to win. The opponent should play you down to as few cards as possible, because they know Vill will become useless in round 3 if there aren't more than 3 cards. I'm surprised the "pure" builds would go all in like that generally because of the risk of so little value on the board. Trappers' fireball traps still give you the +1 to DB Protectors, Hawker Supports buff one of you DB Protectors so they're not all gonna get wrecked at once plus they add value to the board.

I dunno just my random thoughts.

Last edited:
If I knew I'd face this stupid eithne deck, of course I would find some cards to crash it. But problem is, I dont know what is coming to me. I cant always carry cards to counter Eithne without ruining MY deck.
​​​​​​So i am ready to lose against it, because usually I dont carry cards to counter it.
Still, its not fun at all to play against it.
I won 2-3 games with eithne deck, its not fun to play it anymore.
glad they "soon" nerf it a little.

Celestes666;n8841510 said:
If I knew I'd face this stupid eithne deck, of course I would find some cards to crash it. But problem is, I dont know what is coming to me. I cant always carry cards to counter Eithne without ruining MY deck.
​​​​​​So i am ready to lose against it, because usually I dont carry cards to counter it.
Still, its not fun at all to play against it.
I won 2-3 games with eithne deck, its not fun to play it anymore.
glad they "soon" nerf it a little.

This special deck it's so dumb that is easily solely get countered by a few cards.. Also, you have to win round 1, so you can milk your opponent on round 2.. Once you have CA you can keep a scortch or some other combo for the end cause the protectors will come 100%... It's so predictable that makes me sick..

You need to tweak constantly your deck if you want to deal with "meta decks".. That's how it is.. For example i hate D.Shackles as a card but once i saw how it's the key to counter many current meta decks i started inclunding 1-2 D.Shackles in all my decks and i don't regret it.. Sadly you can't keep your favorite deck same for ever.. That is at least if you are interested to Ranked.. If you just want to play Casual Mode just to kill time you are free to do w/e makes you feel better...

On a side note i agree that playing against Spell'tael or NGspell is quite dissapointing and non-fun.. It's can be easily fixed though.. Having a limit on special cards (for example 7 or 10 maximum??) That would make these decks dissapear.. I think some people on other threads already suggested something like this..

Now CDPR will nerf the guardians.. Which is good.. But makes me wonder.. is CDPR thinking that there is nothing wrong with Spell'tael because THERE ARE people who enjoy playing these decks?? So instead of making them dissapear completely they nerf them.. That way Spell' tael will keep on existing (for those who like to play these kind of decks) but will be more easily countered.. i think...

I don't want to run 2 d-shackles in deck just to be sure I have one if needed. They are rather useless against weather monsters and mess up my mulligan.
The slight nerf to the DBPs is not important at all. Other factions got nerfed too and they don't use gold weather cards anyway.
Unfortunately they will stick around.

Personally I'd like to see power caps for units. Something like 12 for bronzes, 16 for silvers, and 20 for golds. Or maybe 14/17/20.

It's not that these decks are unbeatable, because they're (fairly) easily countered by a few tech cards.

For me, the issue with spell decks (both NG and ST) is that they just ruin the enjoyment of playing the game, win or lose.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I havent come to terms yet that d-shackles and d-bomb are the only way to demote or affect gold units, and feels weird that d-shackle locks but doesnt reset (making it useless against buffs) and d-bomb resets but doesnt lock (still not as useful as it used to be, dont plan to craft it anytime soon)

DRK3;n8844700 said:
I havent come to terms yet that d-shackles and d-bomb are the only way to demote or affect gold units, and feels weird that d-shackle locks but doesnt reset (making it useless against buffs) and d-bomb resets but doesnt lock (still not as useful as it used to be, dont plan to craft it anytime soon)
Dshackle is a really solid include IMO. Most players are heavily reliant on their golds on the board (especially with Kayran and Tibor being so popular). I had an awesome moment last night where somebody played Tibor and drew a Dshackle for me in Round 3. Shackle + Eithne/Scorch = forfeit.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Rawls;n8844830 said:
Dshackle is a really solid include IMO. Most players are heavily reliant on their golds on the board (especially with Kayran and Tibor being so popular). I had an awesome moment last night where somebody played Tibor and drew a Dshackle for me in Round 3. Shackle + Eithne/Scorch = forfeit.

I actually havent been finding those, only 1 or 2 Tibors and i think i havent even seen a single Kayran used against me. Usually its the bronze units that reach higher values and so, the mardroeme and scorch are more useful to me.

The key to beating these spelltael decks is to force them to commit DBP's into turns earlier than round 3. They aim to win round 1, pass round 2, then explode on round 3. Even if you lose round 1, forcing the DBP into these earlier rounds will make your last round swing into your favor. Also, DBP's are weaker in the first round, due to less spells being played.

This match up can definitely be tedious especially because it plays so differently from most other decks in the game.

To understand how to beat it first you need to know how the deck plans on winning.

It is crucial that ST Spells wins round one so that its opponent cannot bleed them out of cards in round two. Do what you can to win the first round. Most of the cards they play are weather cards so don't be afraid to drop 1-2 of your gold cards early to blank their weather effects or pull an early D shackles out. If you win round 1 this is going to hurt them very, very badly!

If you can't win round one though, the next goal is to keep them from getting card advantage. If they are allowed to get card advantage then they can play their DBPs in round 3 without giving you time to answer them. ST Spells usually plays their card drawing spy as well as Ciri. If you are running d shackles make sure you use them on the ciri. If you run decoy, you can use it on their spies! Do what you can to turn their card advantage options against them and run some card advantage options yourself!

After that it's just a matter of answering their DBPs with cards that will either remove them or reset them.

(Vellentretenmorth, D bomb, Peter Saar, Geralt: Igni, etc.)

I'd go into more detail but I am on break at work and my time has run out.

I hope this helps!

^I beg to differ, the most important thing to do against such a deck is to gain and keep card advantage. Even 1/2 by round 3 is already a huge help, if you can get more, the better. The second important thing is to have in your deck way to deal with big boosted unit (there's plenty of that, like peter, mardroeme, Margarita, scorch, igni, and regis higher vampire (<- very effective). So try to cumulate quickly high tempo play in round 1, and pass, to force him to either go behind or concede the round. Either way, since he has no carry over, he'll be behind by round 3 if you pass right away at round 2.
As long as you can react to the unit being played and have kept the correct cards (you know what's coming so you have no excuse to not have kept any of the useful ones), he's pretty much toasted.

Top Bottom