Monster consume without nekkers

+
Monster consume without nekkers

I've been testing out my new consume deck on casual, and I really wanna take it to ranked.
problem is: while in casual I'm doing well with it, I'm not sure a consume deck that's nekker-free is gonna cut it in ranked.
The reason I have no nekkers is that it feels OP right now, and I don't like using such tactics (not criticizing anyone who uses them, it's just that I prefer not to)
Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

well.. i guess you can try some harpies-based deck.. donno how much viable is, but coudl have some space.. 3 harpies, a couple of caelano.. problem is nekkers are kinda good compared to other choices

You can also go for the heavy hitters. Something like Giant Toad on Manticore and then Ghoul (on Manticore). That's a 15 and 14 strength unit in only two rounds.

ArianeGrosmont;n8065700 said:
I've been testing out my new consume deck on casual, and I really wanna take it to ranked. problem is: while in casual I'm doing well with it, I'm not sure a consume deck that's nekker-free is gonna cut it in ranked. The reason I have no nekkers is that it feels OP right now, and I don't like using such tactics (not criticizing anyone who uses them, it's just that I prefer not to) Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Here's the deck I play. It's basically, like ARM3D said, a Heavy Consume deck with resilience. It's not OP but I have a lot of fun playing it because EVERY game is different. It's not like the Nekker -> Nekker warrior -> Nekker warrior -> Nekker warrior -> Monster Nest every game.
I currently use 30 cards instead of 25 (just a preference) but you could easily recude the amount of cards by removing some Special cards or Succubus/Dudu if you're not confortable with them or if you prefer Kayran/Crones over them. Or you could play Regis for another 10str unit.

http://imgur.com/a/IaQEA

Tell me what you think about it.

Anyway there's a lot of combos around consume you could invent like Earth Golem -> Decoy -> Ekimmara -> Ghoul -> Thunderbolt potions. Just make some experiments and see what fits you more.

Last edited:
thanks guys, you're been a lot of help! :cheers4:

4RM3D;n8067760 said:
You can also go for the heavy hitters. Something like Giant Toad on Manticore and then Ghoul (on Manticore). That's a 15 and 14 strength unit in only two rounds.

Not a big fan of giant toad: I prefer Ekimmara for three reasons: 1. it can be played on any row ; 2. it can be used on a Griffin or Archgriffin after their ability has been triggered ; 3. it doesn't take up a silver slot.

ArianeGrosmont;n8092340 said:
Not a big fan of giant toad: I prefer Ekimmara for three reasons: 1. it can be played on any row ; 2. it can be used on a Griffin or Archgriffin after their ability has been triggered ; 3. it doesn't take up a silver slot.

OTOH, Giant Toad draws a card and can be buffed instantly. Incidentally, it can also devour bad cards in hand (like double Crones). In the end, both have their uses.

infringer;n8094670 said:
Just cut monster nest and you will have post nerf deck

I doubt that it will be so easy... Monster nest is a key mechanic in consume decks, and if played properly was winning whole rounds. Now Nekkers are mostly some sort of resilience card. Can still be strong, but rather slow/inconsistent if you hope for more than one nekker each round. Also Nekker warrior gets kinda meh, as it requires you to have two nekkers in the opening hand to actually utilize it's full potential.

But let'S wait and see, atm it feels more like CDPR was intentionally destroying all of the OP decks (SK discard, MS consume, Dorf) to shake up the meta.

I just hope weather becomes a thing again, otherwise MS sort of feels out of options...

after their nerf i assume that nekker warriors and monster nest will back out of deck again
i suppose that in every deck we'll see d-shackles.. 2 maybe
and without nekkers, playing tons of devouring units won t have point anymore, because you won't have any source of buff
it surely too early to say something, but i forsee dark times

I apologize if this has been answered already, I am new to this forum. What exactly are you talking about when you reference Nekker's Monsters? I am getting use to all the cards still. Is there a good resource I can use for not only deck building, but explanation as well?

SnaxOnSnax;n8253010 said:
What exactly are you talking about when you reference Nekker's Monsters? I am getting use to all the cards still. Is there a good resource I can use for not only deck building, but explanation as well?

Nekker is a unit of the Monster faction that gains strength whenever another unit is absorbed (eaten) on your side. When the Nekker dies, it spawns another one from your deck. Furthermore you can add more Nekkers in your deck by using Nekker Warrior. Because of this mechanic Nekker Consume was pretty popular pre-patch.

You can view all cards and different decks on GwentDB (hasn't been updated yet) or Gwentify.

4RM3D;n8253450 said:
Nekker is a unit of the Monster faction that gains strength whenever another unit is absorbed (eaten) on your side. When the Nekker dies, it spawns another one from your deck. Furthermore you can add more Nekkers in your deck by using Nekker Warrior. Because of this mechanic Nekker Consume was pretty popular pre-patch.

You can view all cards and different decks on GwentDB (hasn't been updated yet) or Gwentify.

Thank you for the reply. I am learning a ton about this game. I like the idea that it has way less RNG then Hearthstone.

4RM3D;n8094390 said:
OTOH, Giant Toad draws a card and can be buffed instantly. Incidentally, it can also devour bad cards in hand (like double Crones). In the end, both have their uses.

And the 'retard of the week' award goes to.... I completely​ forgot giant toad draws another card :facepalm:
Thanks for bringing me a much needed reality check :cheers4:

d3vil_dant3;n8151840 said:
...without nekkers, playing tons of devouring units won t have point anymore, because you won't have any source of buff
it surely too early to say something, but i forsee dark times

I think between nekkers being buffed while in deck and arachas behemoth spawning, monster consume may not be dead quite yet.
i've also been toying with the idea of a monster remove deck: pretty much relying on the monster passive, keeping one or two buffed cards on the battlefield, and focusing on f**king the opponent's side of the board... For this, a few consuming cards would be perfect, I think

the main problem of the swarm deck is lacerate: had not received any change.. having tons of arachas it s a double edge sword.. but yep.. monsters are not dead

d3vil_dant3;n8286160 said:
the main problem of the swarm deck is lacerate: had not received any change.. having tons of arachas it s a double edge sword.. but yep.. monsters are not dead

The main problem of monster breeding is not only lacerate. The main problem is immediate removal before you are able to buff those weak units AND buffed units often have the same strength which is very vunerable to Geralt:Igni.
There are lots of possibilities: Epidemic, Old Speartip, Holger Blackhand, Cow Carcass, Wild Boar of the Sea, Ragh Nar Roog and
Stammelford's Tremors, Yennefer Chironex and even Yeavinn was a problem.

Playing harpy eggs and Arachas I often ended up with no breedable units at all with a couple of useless monster nests. [h=1][/h]

Top Bottom