Weather monsters, how do you guys counter against ST spell decks

+
Weather monsters, how do you guys counter against ST spell decks

I am currently playing a hybrid weather deck that is able to counter the SK meta and other factions quite easily with a 70% winning rate. However, I really had a hard time to counter against the ST spell decks even with 2x archgriffins and 1x water hag at hand. I wonder how do you guys play your weather deck against spell decks.

My current deck:

Attachments

• photo153500.png
    photo153500.png
    436 KB · Views: 84
Weather control decks are usually in massive disadvantage against spell'atell decks since they require opponent to actually use units to get some value which is obviously bad because your cards have low average value on they own.

That being said generally your best chance of winning is if your opponent goes first and uses any weather ( preferably skellige storm). Once they do you simply pass. Since both of you are at zero he will be forced to use a unit if he wants to win this round ( best case scenario for you - he uses eithne into saskia, worst case - he uses schirru ). Either way you will have 2 CA over him ( or her ) and he ( or she ) will go first next round.

chaosnova6;n8977580 said:
Once they do you simply pass. Since both of you are at zero he will be forced to use a unit if he wants to win this round ( best case scenario for you - he uses eithne into saskia, worst case - he uses schirru ). Either way you will have 2 CA over him ( or her ) and he ( or she ) will go first next round.

Even with CA, I found that most spell deck will bring a spy in case they need CA. They also have Operator to extend the round if you pass too early in the 1st round. And they have plenty of spells to destroy the spy on your side.

Last edited:
Well, i run WH control. Just love the decks aestethics. As for Spell ST matchup - well, its a tedious matchup, and not a favourable one. Basicly, frightener is a must. It gives at least some value to your control tools. Other than that - delay, delay, delay. Remember that even if you dont have crones - the threat of them forces him to keep going (im not sure if you can win this matchup without them). Other than that - quen WH riders are usually what allow me to stay in game. Playing them shielded with gold units on skellige storm row is usually how i stay in game. Obviously scorch/Epidemic effects are a huge threat, operator and eredin allow to replace the losses. That trio going in round 2 is really neccecery, or i can never amass enough power.
Your list doesnt really have long-term high value cards like riders i use, neither do you run crones. Im not sure if the matchup is even possible for you.
Best tech choice against spell ST is Vamp Regis, but with your list i dont think hes gonna cut it. If i were running dagon fog, i would probably try Ancient foglets as a growing threat. Obviously sheer value that harpies bring into other matchups makes them awesome, but against weather control its just multiple bodies to be decimated.
Overall, with your list i dont see you winning this matchup. You can attempt to tech in Vamp Regis + Crones, but it will be a fairly different deck.
You can either abandon matchup all together if deck performs in others. Or you can try to tech in "tempo cheats". Ancient foglets, WH riders, stuff that grows. Or, or even better, alongside plain powerhouse in crones. You need to threaten spell ST constantly that you can take a round in 1 card. They are limited to 3 DBPs, and you need to force them onto the board.
Sad conclusion is, your deck in its current state is "food" for Spell"tael.

I found that spamming blood curling roar works great against weather monsters and spell decks. However, the problem is axemen would instantly be a 80% lost for me since the deck doesn't put out high amounts of point over a long period of time.

I don't get the WH , CA and other abbreviations you guys mention but i just wanted to ask a question. Is the whole "Weather" thing still a problem with Gwent developers ?
I mean we all remember how it was before the big patch and after that, they made this...
The problem I deal with atm is that it's like ALL decks i'm playing against are countering my weather deck, an archetype which is a seldom opponent for me.
Ofc it's not that they actually want to counter my deck, but it's that the "counter weather pack" always implies another great option. So if they don't face a weather card, they simply choose the other option.
My question now is: is this really intended ? After 2 days playing solely with Dagon Weather deck and facing opponents with 3x Clear Weather i just believe we have to just quit this style.

dimiprince;n9033430 said:
I don't get the WH , CA and other abbreviations you guys mention but i just wanted to ask a question. Is the whole "Weather" thing still a problem with Gwent developers ?
I mean we all remember how it was before the big patch and after that, they made this...
The problem I deal with atm is that it's like ALL decks i'm playing against are countering my weather deck, an archetype which is a seldom opponent for me.
Ofc it's not that they actually want to counter my deck, but it's that the "counter weather pack" always implies another great option. So if they don't face a weather card, they simply choose the other option.
My question now is: is this really intended ? After 2 days playing solely with Dagon Weather deck and facing opponents with 3x Clear Weather i just believe we have to just quit this style.

Yeah, I found it is very hard to play weather alone. Weather monsters don't even have any synergy like what SK has with weather effects. Ancient Foglets for example are totally useless. Fortunately, monster gold and silver cards are pretty good. That is the only reason that it is still doable using weather monsters as if it is still a thing.

Top Bottom