Northern Realms Deck Strategies

+
I've only just started a couple of days ago and still building a deck so I don't have all that much to add to what has probably already been written. I do quite like the Northern Realms faction though, the abilities of the cards are better suited to my play style than the other factions, though I am considering Nilfgaard or Skillege next.
One thing I just discovered and got randomly excited about is how much one Adrenaline Rush card can save one's butt. As the main strength of the Northern Realms is buffs (from what I have seen so far), I managed to buff a Ballista up to 20, copy it using Foltest's ability and apply Resilience to one of them. This was at the end of round 2 against someone playing Monster faction (my natural nemesis >.>) who still had Eredin up their sleeve + an unknown last card due to last draw. If not for Adrenaline Rush I would have lost the battle but with a 20 Str Ballista I just about beat all the points my opponent could muster for the last round. Combining this with Promote could produce fantastic results!
My thought, essentially, was that using Adrenaline Rush can be extremely useful against any faction, and using it against Monsters just feels like a small sweet victory. 'Oh, you get to keep a random card on the battlefield after a round? So can I, but I can choose mine :p'

MorroEW;n7918980 said:
I've only just started a couple of days ago and still building a deck so I don't have all that much to add to what has probably already been written. I do quite like the Northern Realms faction though, the abilities of the cards are better suited to my play style than the other factions, though I am considering Nilfgaard or Skillege next.
One thing I just discovered and got randomly excited about is how much one Adrenaline Rush card can save one's butt. As the main strength of the Northern Realms is buffs (from what I have seen so far), I managed to buff a Ballista up to 20, copy it using Foltest's ability and apply Resilience to one of them. This was at the end of round 2 against someone playing Monster faction (my natural nemesis >.>) who still had Eredin up their sleeve + an unknown last card due to last draw. If not for Adrenaline Rush I would have lost the battle but with a 20 Str Ballista I just about beat all the points my opponent could muster for the last round. Combining this with Promote could produce fantastic results!
My thought, essentially, was that using Adrenaline Rush can be extremely useful against any faction, and using it against Monsters just feels like a small sweet victory. 'Oh, you get to keep a random card on the battlefield after a round? So can I, but I can choose mine :p'

If you would use Adrenaline Rush on ballista and THEN copy it, both would have adrenaline applied on them, though.

And by the way, Monsters keep a last played loyal card (non gold), not a random one.

KasumiGoto;n7919050 said:
If you would use Adrenaline Rush on ballista and THEN copy it, both would have adrenaline applied on them, though.

Oh dear... This is beautiful <3 Thanks, I will be sure to try that when I get the chance ^^
Still getting used to all those new abilities and stuff, I'm used to the standard Witcher 3 Gwent and this is all new and exciting :D

Edit: Huh. Well, I didn't know that, as I said, still getting to know how things work :) Thanks ^^

Last edited:
How reliable and relevant to the current meta are Henselt's Golden Realms built around Dijkstra and blue stripes units combined with siege units of gold-cards combos?

metalmaniac21;n7919620 said:
How reliable and relevant to the current meta are Henselt's Golden Realms built around Dijkstra and blue stripes units combined with siege units of gold-cards combos?
I almost never encounter something like that (rating is around 3000). I have only seen Ves / Blue stripes once in the last few weeks and it was a weird Hybrid of a Radovid control deck with Redanian elites. Overall I think buffing NR Decks are too weak right now compared to Monster consume / ST Frontrow Buff. You need to have something that does not require a long setup. In my experience Ves (same with Margarite) will either get killed before you can set up your play or the opponent will pass before you can deliver the full effect. Consequently, the deck thinning effect (3 blue stripes) often also does not work and you draw then later on. Same reason that I stopped using the reaver hunters, too unreliable. Temerians and witchers are the way to go right now.

As for Dijkstra... he is too easily countered by shackles / D-Bomb in my experience so I stopped using him... maybe I'll give him another try.

Dijkstra should work like the golden consume monster. add to base str, reset base str when sent to the graveyard.

Last edited:

Guest 3973540

ispyy;n7929720 said:
Dijkstra should work like the golden consume monster. add to base str, reset base str when sent to the graveyard.
Try him as a finisher. He works wonders. Especially when the card before last is Aeromancy in an all-gold 3rd round from both sides (not a rare sight).

But he is tough to play and requires a nice deck. I got him from a keg very early and he was useless back then.

I'm pretty sure that promoted cards looses the gold status at the end of the round. But since I don't use promote myself and haven't been playing Gwent for a while, I might also be wrong.

Sunsibar;n8065820 said:
I'm pretty sure that promoted cards looses the gold status at the end of the round. But since I don't use promote myself and haven't been playing Gwent for a while, I might also be wrong.

Thank you for your reply. Do we know why? Or is it maybe because it would be too easy to have buffed golden cards kept for next round...

ive seen quite many decks now...am i the only one around here who plays a full 40 cards deck? It can be huge benefit, but sometimes a curse^^
Best case, stuff goes wrong i have at least one if not two backup plans. Worst case i end up with some useless stuff (adrenaline rush) as my last card in a 1v1 card on last round

thaneize;n8471670 said:
ive seen quite many decks now...am i the only one around here who plays a full 40 cards deck? It can be huge benefit, but sometimes a curse^^
Best case, stuff goes wrong i have at least one if not two backup plans. Worst case i end up with some useless stuff (adrenaline rush) as my last card in a 1v1 card on last round

Any deck which has more than 25 cards is bad - the less cards you have the more consistent it is.

thaneize;n8471670 said:

It makes no sense to play more then 25 cards since you can only add bronzes. The average value of the cards in your deck goes down, you hurt your chances to draw golds and silvers and neither can you deck thin or play strategies reliably.

Im winning often enough, it depends really, if you play a special type of NR deck its useful to have many bronze cards, considering reinforcements, reaver scouts, temerian foot soldiers and some special abilities like ves or reaver hunter. Combined with the completely mean special abilities of the Siege Machines + Kaedweni siege expert. You cant fit all that potential into 25 cards and then have useful cards like Dbomb, scorch, Dshacks or promote.
With Nilfgaard or sekklige i dont quite like to play full deck, too many thing could go wrong there, but NR is actually benefitting.

Until a few days i was a bit underwelmed w this faction but saw a couple videos that show me that this deck with the right cards can be a force to be reckoned with.

Right now I am playing radovid as leader tho I like it a little bit more tham henselt http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/19672-newbie-hunter If anyone could check it out, got it so far to level 17, I am really looking into runing more tham 26 cards maybe up to 28

PD:the card I want to add is 1 or 3 blue stripes scouts, I like them since i can stack on any lane and avoid all the weathers that are really heavy right now

PD2: kinda want to change Ragh Nar Roog to a better golden but kinda limited trying the f2p thing so takes a while to get cards

Last edited:
rafaelunefa;n8711920 said:
Right now I am playing radovid as leader tho I like it a little bit more tham henselt http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/19672-newbie-hunter If anyone could check it out, got it so far to level 17, I am really looking into runing more tham 26 cards maybe up to 28

PD:the card I want to add is 1 or 3 blue stripes scouts, I like them since i can stack on any lane and avoid all the weathers that are really heavy right now

PD2: kinda want to change Ragh Nar Roog to a better golden but kinda limited trying the f2p thing so takes a while to get cards

Level says nothing. You can reach level 17 with a 30% winrate. You just have to play more.

It seems strange you play Reaver Hunters,Operator and Nenneke but not Henselt. How do you get your Reaver Hunters back late game? Any other Reaver Hunter deck has Henselt for a reason.

RNR is one of the best gold cards.

Top Bottom