Scoia'tael Deck Strategies

+
A question what is the best strategy against SK and NR. I mean I have no problem to win against Nilfgaard and Monsters but with SK is it almost impossible. The card are just too damn powerful. No matter if they play the bronze, silver or gold the power is just a bit too much. Their resurrecting capability is unreal. What is/are necessary cards to have to counter this deck?

MelfiorTheOne;n9047330 said:
Nerf Hjalmar!!! Nerf Skellige!!!! I played 6 games in a row against King Bran. Please.....

If you're playing Dwarfs, consider your throwaway options in case he plays Kambi next.
If you can build up points on resilient Units after the nuke goes off, you can still try to win the round (depends heavily on Gold cards available to you and your opponent).
If you can't put enough value on the board with what you got left after Hemdall spawns, there's not much to do but pass (and conserve ressources for the next round).

If you're sure he won't play Kambi (Hjalmar as fourth enemy gold card), try buffing the Lord of Undvik to keep him on the board.
SK needs to destroy it via damage, which is a race you can win with Thunderbolt Potion or Immune Boost.

If you're playing any sort of control ST, Hjalmar is a worthy candidate for Shackles/DBomb.
Demoting him to Silver is the Key here, as it messes with the Hjalmar+Kambi combo.

Asobimaru;n9088990 said:
If you're playing Dwarfs, consider your throwaway options in case he plays Kambi next.
If you can build up points on resilient Units after the nuke goes off, you can still try to win the round (depends heavily on Gold cards available to you and your opponent).
If you can't put enough value on the board with what you got left after Hemdall spawns, there's not much to do but pass (and conserve ressources for the next round).

If you're sure he won't play Kambi (Hjalmar as fourth enemy gold card), try buffing the Lord of Undvik to keep him on the board.
SK needs to destroy it via damage, which is a race you can win with Thunderbolt Potion or Immune Boost.

If you're playing any sort of control ST, Hjalmar is a worthy candidate for Shackles/DBomb.
Demoting him to Silver is the Key here, as it messes with the Hjalmar+Kambi combo.

I appreciate your advice. Has the ST deck always been a reactive deck rather than proactive deck?

gards;n9089420 said:
I appreciate your advice. Has the ST deck always been a reactive deck rather than proactive deck?
Not exclusively so, but I would say they are certainly the most reactive of all the factions. It's why I enjoy playing them so much, because the strategy is highly dependent on knowing what your opponent wants to do. It's fun to play.

gards;n9089420 said:
Has the ST deck always been a reactive deck rather than proactive deck?

Actually, I've got a problem using labels like "reactive" or "proactive" to refer to entire decks (or even factions). In other games that use ressources - like Mana in MtG - that might make some sense, because it gives a general idea about how the opponent is going to use the resources he builds up.

(If you haven't already, I suggest you read Gravez' Tempo Article. It really gets the information across better than my thoughts below.)

The Dwarf deck relies on consistent positive Tempo swings to keep a positive board position.
It gets so proactive, you're basically inviting your opponent to play reactive, which makes it very susceptible to removal.
The general idea is to use lane positioning (as in Dwarven Mercenary, Sheldon Skaggs or Zoltan) and buffs (Thunderbolt/Immune Boost) to keep enough value on the board anyway. And keeping Units buffed unevenly limits the effect of Scorch/Geralt:Igni.

Spell Control basically builds around low tempo, but with the ability to make big Tempo swings on demand (Eithne+Saskia after opponent passed R1 / buffed Dol Blathanna Protectors in R3).
I sometimes find myself throwing away a Clear Weather for nothing (except +1 on DBP), just to force the opponent to play another card (Removal is worthless when your opponent has little value on the board).
However you've got to pay attention not to lose Card advantage, which can easily happen when your hand cards are suboptimal to counter your opponent (ie. having neither Nature's Gift nor Epidemic while playing vs NR 37 deck).

I haven't tried building a movement or mulligan decks, although I've played against a few. Movement was considered a weak archetype last time I checked, although it could be fun to play in tandem with weather because no one's expecting it. Overall it has less tempo than the average Dwarf Deck, but also more reactionary potential.
Mulligan seems closer to Spell Control - it uses Vrihedd Vanguards instead of Protectors, but dropping 3-4 (Operator) of those in R3 is the overall win condition.

TL.DR: Thinking of whole Decks as proactive/reactive is going too far IMO. You can try to rate a decks' overall Value vs. Deployment time of that value (Tempo). This is why sites like Gwentify list decks ranging from "Control" over "Midrange" to "Aggressive".
Overall, the concept of pure "Beatdown Decks" that lack reactive tools against the opponent doesn't apply to Gwent. Even Dwarf decks can pull some crazy tech plays.

Rawls;n9095660 said:
Not exclusively so, but I would say they are certainly the most reactive of all the factions.

Well, they certainly got the right tools for it. I decided I wanted to play a ST control deck on my first day playing, after seeing Nature's Gift. :D

Last edited:
I just saw that Hawker Smuggler does not buff herself when Golds are being put on the board. Is this intended? First time I've encountered it.

Guest 4187941

Since I can't make my own topic due to my low number of comments, I ask it here:

Is there any strategy behind Ele'yas or it's just a simple epic with a mediocre removal ability?

Because today I picked him since the other 2 choices were also kinda „meh”, but still don’t think this is a good card, don’t see how to use it as a reliable silver in any deck. Sure, could be great if you must remove a potential threat and there are no other removals in your hand…but it’s just feels like too situational compared to other direct damage cards.
Any thoughts?

Gerbid;n9358521 said:
Is there any strategy behind Ele'yas or it's just a simple epic with a mediocre removal ability?
Because today I picked him since the other 2 choices were also kinda „meh”, but still don’t think this is a good card, don’t see how to use it as a reliable silver in any deck. Sure, could be great if you must remove a potential threat and there are no other removals in your hand…but it’s just feels like too situational compared to other direct damage cards. Any thoughts?
That's basically all it does in the current meta. It used to be a great card in CB when you combined it with neophyte swarm. Now it's mediocre removal.

I just played against a Deck where seemingly the only Bronze units were Dwarven Agitator and Mahakam Guard (the one with resilience) He spammed those damn Guards on me and won the wound with boosting them, then in round two i had to beat 40ish points with just two cards...

thaneize;n9449081 said:
I just played against a Deck where seemingly the only Bronze units were Dwarven Agitator and Mahakam Guard (the one with resilience) He spammed those damn Guards on me and won the wound with boosting them, then in round two i had to beat 40ish points with just two cards...

Those Dwarven Agitators are awesome. This is exactly how i use them. Together with an Operator to give me another of those agitators.
I have a deck with Mahakam Defenders and a deck with Mahakam Marauders. You really don't want to add any other dwarfs, so you can be 100% sure of what you get.
You have to be carefull not to draw all 3 of the other dwarfs on hand though.

i managed to break 260+ points on 3rd round yesterdat with the mahakam marauders.
5 marauders on the field. play Denis Cranmer for a 3 points boost. Use decoy and play him again. (and a lot of other boosting going on ofcourse)

I prefer this so much over that Stammelford Cheese

Since don't have 10 posts yet I can't create thread, thus I had to post it here.

I can't believe I never have seen anyone mentioning Yaevinn, why does this card even exist,
You give 12 points swing in your opponents favor as you have to play it on his side of the board, the good part is you get to choose 1 of 2 cards presented to you.
With ST units average swing per card being lower than 11, and without factoring that in, it's very bad. It's the only card I have seen that works against the player using it in his/her deck.

...why would anyone ever use this card?
...why haven't it been removed or changed?

DragonMind;n10007811 said:
Since don't have 10 posts yet I can't create thread, thus I had to post it here.

I can't believe I never have seen anyone mentioning Yaevinn, why does this card even exist,
You give 12 points swing in your opponents favor as you have to play it on his side of the board, the good part is you get to choose 1 of 2 cards presented to you.
With ST units average swing per card being lower than 11, and without factoring that in, it's very bad. It's the only card I have seen that works against the player using it in his/her deck.

You play it as the last card in that round you intend to lose/can't win. NG and SK also have similar cards. Nice to see someone make a comment in the ST section of the forum.

DragonMind;n10007811 said:

Yaevin is one of the "silver spies" that every faction gets, and in fact one of the best. You use them to gain card advantage (CA). For instance, if your opponent has carry-over going into R2 and you won R1, if you simply dry pass the round they can pass without playing any cards, whereas if you play your spy (drawing a card to replace it), that will force them to play a card in response (if they pass you can then play the rest of your cards and 2-0 them). Or if you won R1 and want to bleed your opponent R2 for a short R3 (or to toss away dead cards that you don't want), you can use your silver spy to ensure that they don't gain CA over you for playing into the round. During R1, you can use it to force an opponent's pass to take the round, or to go up even further on them if you have a point lead.

Yaevin specifically is powerful because he draws both the top unit AND the top special card for you to choose from. If you run only one special card you can always guarantee that he'll pull it (for instance, Royal Decree or Gold Weathers). So if you run gold weathers in ST, Yaevin can tutor one of them for you while also occupying a slot on the board that the weather will then eat.

lakired;n10008251 said:
Yaevin is one of the "silver spies" that every faction gets, and in fact one of the best. You use them to gain card advantage (CA). For instance, if your opponent has carry-over going into R2 and you won R1, if you simply dry pass the round they can pass without playing any cards, whereas if you play your spy (drawing a card to replace it), that will force them to play a card in response (if they pass you can then play the rest of your cards and 2-0 them). Or if you won R1 and want to bleed your opponent R2 for a short R3 (or to toss away dead cards that you don't want), you can use your silver spy to ensure that they don't gain CA over you for playing into the round. During R1, you can use it to force an opponent's pass to take the round, or to go up even further on them if you have a point lead.

Yaevin specifically is powerful because he draws both the top unit AND the top special card for you to choose from. If you run only one special card you can always guarantee that he'll pull it (for instance, Royal Decree or Gold Weathers). So if you run gold weathers in ST, Yaevin can tutor one of them for you while also occupying a slot on the board that the weather will then eat.

I can see if you play him in the end of a round to draw a card, but wouldn't it be more viable just to leave it out in such cases?
Furthermore if you opponent doesn't pass when you use it as an opened you would not only have to beat the score he can muster but beat the 12 you added as well,
which based on ST low average score a card, is not that easy. Though I must admit some of the new revealed cards does help with getting the points.

Top Bottom