Mind Games Scoia'tael (Positioning Patch)

+
Mind Games Scoia'tael (Positioning Patch)

I've spent today refining a few decks, and among them, my favorite one by far is my Ambush ST. Here's the link: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/15379-from-the-shadows

It's similar to its older iterations but with the addition of the 8 Strength Vrihedd Sappers as a viable include as well as the old control cards in a mostly un-controllable meta. During all my games the one thing I've noticed overwhelmingly was that besides Weather, Geralt: Igni, and the occasional Scorch, there was absolutely no Strength regulation going on, and everything was focused on either deck cycling or Locking. As a result, pretty much all of the meta decks that have cropped up within the last 24 hours are centered around multiple huge units with the intention of overwhelming your opponents. Because of the large amount of control you have over your Special cards with ST (Brouver, Aglais, Elven Mercenary), this in turn can lock rounds (excuse the pun) in your favor by simply wiping your opponent's buffs.

Worst case scenario, you use it for minimal effect, but due to the fact that all of your power units resolve when the round ends, Scorch will generally target your opponent, and Aglais will allow you to do it multiple times in succession. It's been absolutely wiping the floor with the new cancerous Nilfgaardian Emissary cycling deck. Additionally, I've noticed that since the new changes, all Specials are generally more high-value. I've had Ida chew up Treason, Weather effects, First Lights when my opponent desperately needed a Rally... list goes on. I ran Schirru in the beginning but found that I have enough control as it is and he limits my own Special plays while having him up.

If I don't open with Toruviel or Ciaran to buff, I'll sometimes just Hoog out Ciaran and dunk the round so I can buff him later on. The two things I've found myself needing to watch for is pulling Scorch when I don't want it with Elven Mercenary and rolling Blue Mountain Commandos when I have no Vrihedd Dragoons up.

What can I say, there's something so satisfying about playing out a bunch of Ambushes and watching my opponent squirm with awkward plays until finally they pass the round to end the suffering while they're ahead simply to activate a huge Toruviel that secures the round. Lemme know what you guys think, I generally don't like to share my favorite decks, but I feel like this one isn't a brain-dead aggressive or tempo deck, so if anyone wants to try it, you'll need to get the hang of it.

:victory: Vrihedd, Spar'le!

Last edited:
I chose to run Ithlinne because there aren't really any effective heavy hitting Gold cards in the faction that synergize with Ambushes, and Ithlinne serves as a control tool while you build up your threats, rather than a boost to your strength. Worst case scenario, she pulls Roach on the last round for more points.

i very much love using Ithlinne, since a lot of NR are now using Reinforced Trebuchet and just loves putting all three out.

Do you think switching geralt our for Schirru would still work well?

I've also been trying Milva, she's handy for sending your opponents huge buff minion safely back to his ghand and you can work it to get a second ida if your careful too

Mehariel;n8210570 said:
Do you think switching geralt our for Schirru would still work well?
You can, they serve the same purpose. I personally don't like running Schirru in ST decks that rely too heavily on Elven Mercenary cycling or specials in general, because you can cancel out your own cards either accidentally or because he denies you playing certain cards; and odds are your opponent will already have it in mind and avoid playing into it as well. I use him all the time in other decks, just not this one out of preference. I think if you play it smart with your mulligan and the order in which you play you won't find yourself limited by him all that often, but I just figure why bother.

zantclick;n8210610 said:
You can, they serve the same purpose. I personally don't like running Schirru in ST decks that rely too heavily on Elven Mercenary cycling or specials in general, because you can cancel out your own cards either accidentally or because he denies you playing certain cards; and odds are your opponent will already have it in mind and avoid playing into it as well. I use him all the time in other decks, just not this one out of preference. I think if you play it smart with your mulligan and the order in which you play you won't find yourself limited by him all that often, but I just figure why bother.

Hmm thanks, thats a good point. :)

And what was your opinion on Milva?

Mehariel;n8211020 said:
And what was your opinion on Milva?
Well, since the best you can hope for bouncing with her is Vrihedd Dragoon and it's counterproductive to bounce a Sapper, I wouldn't say it's worthwhile. I mean, she can pass a turn and pull Roach from your deck and bounce to your hand, but it's a bit too risky imo with the pitfalls you can wind up in based on the cards people are running now.

zantclick;n8211230 said:
Well, since the best you can hope for bouncing with her is Vrihedd Dragoon and it's counterproductive to bounce a Sapper, I wouldn't say it's worthwhile. I mean, she can pass a turn and pull Roach from your deck and bounce to your hand, but it's a bit too risky imo with the pitfalls you can wind up in based on the cards people are running now.

You have lots of good points, thanks for your advice ^_^

Playing against ST is not fun but annoying. The card advantage that you always have is too overpowered. Let the dragoons buff the sappers or spamming commando neophyte to keep the strongest card in your hand; pull out hawker support and/or destroy the oppopent's army with this formula: scorch -> nature's gift -> aglais -> eithne'. Just pull out the buffed card in the end and enjoy the ez win. Borrring! People are using identical tactics across all factions atm. I hope that the ST will be nerfed in the next patches.

Guest 4088590

I think just play weather monsters, and just try as hard as you can for card advantage.

pthieu1986;n8298550 said:
Playing against ST is not fun but annoying. The card advantage that you always have is too overpowered. Let the dragoons buff the sappers or spamming commando neophyte to keep the strongest card in your hand; pull out hawker support and/or destroy the oppopent's army with this formula: scorch -> nature's gift -> aglais -> eithne'. Just pull out the buffed card in the end and enjoy the ez win. Borrring! People are using identical tactics across all factions atm. I hope that the ST will be nerfed in the next patches.

................................................................lol

Top Bottom