Replacing Cleaver / Olg & Royal Decree w/ Geralt: igni

+
Replacing Cleaver / Olg & Royal Decree w/ Geralt: igni

Hey all,

I am currently running this deck:

http://gwentify.com/decks/open-beta-dwarf-resilience/

and absolutely loving it.

Two things I am debating:

1) Swapping Cleaver for Olgried. I rarely if ever get to use cleaver for anything other than his power. I initially put him in to unlock locked resilient units -- only to realize once you unlock them, the resilience does not come back. The one thing that makes me hesistant about Olgried though is that I rarely, if ever, get a round 3. I either win the first two rounds, or lose; basically, if I get to a 3rd round, I've already lost. I keep expecting to use Cleaver to lock core mechanics, especially of NR/NG decks, but it just seems like whenever I REALLY need him, he isn't there.
- If anyone has suggestions for a better replacement than Olgried, I am down for that too (just not marching orders).

2) Swapping Royal Decree for Geralt Igni. Royal decree has saved my ass MANY times, but there are other times it becomes a 'dead' card -- and I have seen geralt igni work wonders. I may even debating taking out the mardroeme if I throw in geralt igni, as he would destroy the single-buff unit that is the counter to my deck (hence the mardroeme).
-if anyone has suggestions for a better replacement than Geralt: Igno, I am down for that too

3) Does anyone ever have their Yarpin get alzur thundered? I had a commenter ask if he should play dennis before yarpin, and I told him no, as I've never had my Yarpin get alzur thundered, but as Im breaking the 2k mmr mark, I think I may start seeing alzur thunder... do 2000+ MMR decks run thunders? Please let me know.

I am also sometimes hesitant when I have 2 golds in my hand to mulligan (my last mulligan), for fear of getting a saskia/decree -- this also applies to later rounds when I've played all my golds. Any advice on this?

Thank you all for your input.

P.S. this is for RANKED mode, 2000 MMR level

Last edited:
  1. Olgierd doesn't synergize with your deck. You could use Decoy instead. Heck, even Skellige Storm has a higher potential just for the damage output.
  2. Depends on how much you like Zoltan or Ithlinne. Usually, Geralt: Igni would indeed be the better choice, instead of Royal Decree.
  3. That's always the risk with Order and Muster cards. There is no way around this.

4RM3D;n8941670 said:
  1. Depends on how much you like Zoltan or Ithlinne. Usually, Geralt: Igni would indeed be the better choice, instead of Royal Decree.

Hey! Thanks for the reply.

I am a little confused on that comment. I love Zoltan and Ithlinne -- and would not trade either of them for Geralt: Igni. Your reply suggests (I might have to)? Are you saying because royal decree won't be there, I will have a greatly decreased change of getting Zoltan or Ithlinne? If so, I likely agree with you. I know the chance is decreased, but I still would expect to get 1 of the 2 in each game. Do you think royal decree would cut that down significantly? I've never played this deck without it, tbh. I'd have to craft Geralt: Igni, as I don't have it, so sadly I'd have to play test AFTER crafting it (at which point, if it doesn't work, Im out of tons of scraps) BUT if you think it is worth a go, Ill give it a go.

Also, why don't you think olgried would synergize well with my deck? Because of the no round 3? The decoy suggestions I actually like a lot, especially for when they lock my yarpin. Nvm, you've sold me as I type this, I'm swapping out cleaver for decoy XD.

Last edited:
you barely have any deck thinning tools in this one (namely broover,saskia,barclay els,and double cross) you could try replacing cleaver with another one,or simply change him for ciaran,which gives you another move, unlock, and 2 more power(i know she is not a dwarf,but you get 2 more power which makes up for it).

As for royal decree,pretty much any gold woud work better than that.from the free triss,to geralt igni as you mentioned,to perhaps renew since it should work wonders with zoltan and ithlinne,to my personall favourite in the ladder right now, regis higher vampire.any of these could do the job.

Mystikast;n8941810 said:
Are you saying because royal decree won't be there, I will have a greatly decreased change of getting Zoltan or Ithlinne? If so, I likely agree with you.

Yup, that's what I meant.

Thank you all for your advice,

I have swapped out cleaver for decoy and immediately noticed a huge positive difference. At this point, I am very content with the silvers in my deck and would not swap decoy or ida out for Olgried.

I run both Cleaver and Olgierd. Cleaver for SK and Olgierd for another carryover/bait unit. I'm actually thinking of running both Cleaver/Ciaran, but not sure how to do it without screwing up my deck. In terms of each....

1. Cleaver: Gives another melee row body for tbolt/immune boost. He can also make other factions/decks burn a lock from their lock unit to unlock whatever you lock, thus keeping it off your units. Most importantly, ADC won't pull him (Ciaran is better if you don't run ADC).

2. Olgierd: 15 pt card if used in R1. He fits the carryover concept. Unlike Defenders/Yarp he can be unlocked. You also don't care if he dies R1. Keep in mind Zoltan boosts base strength as well, as does ADC. Either of these can make him a 17 pt card. If you move him he respawns melee as well.

I could understand dropping either card, but neither is a bad choice.

Gigni is a good option, especially with mercs. I do find he often underperforms vs Dagon decks because they have few high value targets for him. Fortunately, he is strong vs everything else. Especially NR, SK Axe at times, Consume, NG if you ever see them, and mirror if you ever see them.

The answer to the Yarpen question is absolutely. Lately I just assume the other player has thunder due to SK now. I actually run it myself with Dwarves for the same reason. So I pretty much never play Yarpen first. Usually I try to ADC him, in fact. ADC to pull him is especially important vs most NR decks, unless you have 2 units out before playing him (Philippa can kill him otherwise). Everyone tries to kill poor Yarpen. If he doesn't get locked he will get thunderered, bear pinged into shieldmaidens, whatever.

Oh, and yes.... Saskia is great tempo but she can really ruin your day some games.

Top Bottom