Skellige Deck Strategies

+
TH3WITCH3R;n7648470 said:
as you say we going see dbomb in more game plays so setting up whole process & then one card turns everything against us.. nahh I am really not a fan of this kind of play but still I will try this too for sure as skellige is my most fev. faction till now

Tremors.
Tremors+Warcry.
Tremors+Priestess into Berserker.
Even Gremist can pretty pull out a ton of Strength out of nowhere with a couple Axemen and other 2 creatures on the board.
I can tell you it's by far the most fun deck i've played in the game, that's the main reason i'm so excited about the upcoming patch.

TH3WITCH3R;n7648470 said:
Hmm currently mu deck is very simple with aard + coral combo.
Yeah, Coral+Aard combo is ridiculously strong, so that's pretty much the best way to make Queensguard decks work currently. However, with the new Weather system and the new potions that toggle Weather immunity, it will be far less effective. Coral and Aard nerfs don't matter much, because Coral nerf was only to balance with new First Light and, if hitting 3 creatures with Aard isn't enough to win the round, then it definitely wasn't Aard nerf what lost it. I'm expecting to see Kambi+Hjalmar decks more often this patch, even though there will be more Dimeritium Shackles and Bombs, and Spores will be available to use on your own side of the board too. The new "silence"+DShackles can hurt the combo too.
What i mean by this is that i'm expecting a lot of different decks to see play, of course some cheese decks will be top tier, while others will struggle to climb as much, but overall i think the game will be far more balanced. We can only sit and wait for the patch to see if i'm wrong, but i can tell you one thing with very little fear to be wrong: Skellige will be way stronger than it is now.

Last edited:
TheWalkingHawking;n7648910 said:
Tremors.
Tremors+Warcry.
Tremors+Priestess into Berserker.
Even Gremist can pretty pull out a ton of Strength out of nowhere with a couple Axemen and other 2 creatures on the board.
I can tell you it's by far the most fun deck i've played in the game, that's the main reason i'm so excited about the upcoming patch.

Yeah, Coral+Aard combo is ridiculously strong, so that's pretty much the best way to make Queensguard decks work currently. However, with the new Weather system and the new potions that toggle Weather immunity, it will be far less effective. Coral and Aard nerfs don't matter much, because Coral nerf was only to balance with new First Light and, if hitting 3 creatures with Aard isn't enough to win the round, then it definitely wasn't Aard nerf what lost it. I'm expecting to see Kambi+Hjalmar decks more often this patch, even though there will be more Dimeritium Shackles and Bombs, and Spores will be available to use on your own side of the board too. The new "silence"+DShackles can hurt the combo too.
What i mean by this is that i'm expecting a lot of different decks to see play, of course some cheese decks will be top tier, while others will struggle to climb as much, but overall i think the game will be far more balanced. We can only sit and wait for the patch to see if i'm wrong, but i can tell you one thing with very little fear to be wrong: Skellige will be way stronger than it is now.

See this all looks good on paper but this is just a one way strategy but this is not going to be so simple as it looks as other factions too got so many strong units & with blizzard now they got immunity power too..

But lets see after patch & I hope skellige will stand some how.

So far I'm absolutely destroying people with a self wounding deck. Axeman into Raging Bear into Blueboy Lugos into Decoy Lugos. Double whales just destroy everything. Anything destroyed just res it with Restore or Priestesses. Then just play out round one. Round two play out a bit but pass early. Round three play an Axeman, res whatever's left into either Yennefer card. I usually have enough stuff to get through most games, although that might be because people are experimenting right now.

Self-wounding is very strong, and even pre-patch you could play around weather without relying on CS. Post-patch you can play around Dbomb too. I find it much more reliable than discard, but I guess others may have different experiences.

KasumiGoto;n7702010 said:
I'm thinking about buying Cerys, queensguard seem interesting now..though self-wounding..hmm..

Started this patch playing the cerys deck. Its so fun... too bad its not competitive.

GKZhukov;n7692800 said:
Self-wounding is very strong, and even pre-patch you could play around weather without relying on CS. Post-patch you can play around Dbomb too. I find it much more reliable than discard, but I guess others may have different experiences.

Self-Wounding is joke.. trust me. I am almost loosing every battle as this strategy only depends on ct axeman x 3 & there are whole lot counters available to destroy this.

If you think I am bad player then go try yourself. You only going to win if you are too lucky.

TH3WITCH3R;n7702320 said:
Self-Wounding is joke.. trust me. I am almost loosing every battle as this strategy only depends on ct axeman x 3 & there are whole lot counters available to destroy this.

If you think I am bad player then go try yourself. You only going to win if you are too lucky.

I am playing it myself. I'm not saying it's the bees knees, but it works fine. Don't rely 100% on the Axemen. Gremist, for example, is a good way to spread strength away from that middle row in case of Fog/D-Bomb. Depending on opposition, sometimes multiple bear damage is just as useful as the Axe buffing. I think if you go all eggs in the Axeman basket, then yes it's vulnerable to bad match-ups and good counter-play. But the Axeman is for applying pressure, to burn out enemy cards or get an early round win, if your opponent thinks it is not worth hassle. You need other tricks too. And if you play more than one Axeman, it goes without saying try to get them on different strengths to avoid Igni.

GKZhukov;n7703300 said:
I am playing it myself. I'm not saying it's the bees knees, but it works fine. Don't rely 100% on the Axemen. Gremist, for example, is a good way to spread strength away from that middle row in case of Fog/D-Bomb. Depending on opposition, sometimes multiple bear damage is just as useful as the Axe buffing. I think if you go all eggs in the Axeman basket, then yes it's vulnerable to bad match-ups and good counter-play. But the Axeman is for applying pressure, to burn out enemy cards or get an early round win, if your opponent thinks it is not worth hassle. You need other tricks too. And if you play more than one Axeman, it goes without saying try to get them on different strengths to avoid Igni.

Please if possible share your deck. Main problem is most of opp. I am getting is monsters & they really have strong counters for this.

KasumiGoto;n7702010 said:
I'm thinking about buying Cerys, queensguard seem interesting now..though self-wounding..hmm..

Both decks are insanely strong and pretty fun to play currently, although the fact that both are quite OP now removed some of the fun to me.

el_Bosco;n7702170 said:
Started this patch playing the cerys deck. Its so fun... too bad its not competitive.

That must be a joke, i hope.

TH3WITCH3R;n7702320 said:

Seriously man, self-wounding is BY FAR the strongest deck i have played with and against this patch so far, if you still can't make it viable, then, no offense, but without a doubt you must be a bad player/deck builder.
If, after all the advice i gave you, you still think the deck relies only on Axeman... then i don't know what to say.
There are 2 fundamental ways of building the deck, one is relying heavily on Axemen, which still is insanely strong but it's somewhat easier to counter.
The other one is adding the 32845632789513783612873912564132780º561732853º1789356º265º73280540º38256º3289658906542857814365120 millions of alternative win conditions Skellige has available and synergizing with this kind of deck, i'm not going to list them all once again, but seriously, if you can't make it work, then try harder or just give up, but please, stop giving wrong advice to anyone interested in playing them.

TH3WITCH3R;n7703320 said:
Please if possible share your deck.

Leader: Harald
Gold: Igni, Coral, Ciri, Birna
Silver: Restore, Sigfrida, Ocvist, Roach, Gremist, Ranged dude (The Fog immune one that we all started with)
Bronze: 3 Axeman, 3 Bear,(Wounding one), 3 Berserker (Or whatever the one that turns into Frost immune Bear is), 3 Resurrecting Woman, 1 or 2 Stammelford's Tremors, 1 or 2 Warcry

Note: I'm not saying it's T1, and there's also probably a tighter build than I'm running. There are certainly a couple of cards I'm thinking of changing.
Igni, Scorch, Fog, and D-Bomb all need playing around. It has good stall potential which helps with this. It mops up weenies, but struggles more with a few stacked cards - but Igni and Coral both help with that. Also stacking decks are less likely to weather you.

GKZhukov;n7703530 said:
Silver: Restore, Sigfrida, Ocvist, Roach, Gremist, Ranged dude (The Fog immune one that we all started with)
Bronze: 3 Axeman, 3 Bear,(Wounding one), 3 Berserker (Or whatever the one that turns into Frost immune Bear is), 3 Resurrecting Woman, 1 or 2 Stammelford's Tremors, 1 or 2 Warcry

Note: I'm not saying it's T1, and there's also probably a tighter build than I'm running. There are certainly a couple of cards I'm thinking of changing.
Igni, Scorch, Fog, and D-Bomb all need playing around. It has good stall potential which helps with this. It mops up weenies, but struggles more with a few stacked cards - but Igni and Coral both help with that. Also stacking decks are less likely to weather you.

Dang, remove Roach for Blueboy Lugos ASAP.

GKZhukov;n7703530 said:

Nice and thanks.. I will surely try this as at this time I am really focusing on axeman only so may be that's why I am loosing.

I really like the way you rename those skellige units.. specially 3 Resurrecting Woman lol :)

TheWalkingHawking;n7703370 said:
That must be a joke, i hope.

Its not competitive since selfwound skellige is ripping everyone off. I know what i'm taking about since i've leveled from 5 rank to 11 playing it in just 2 days.

Now i'll stop going ranked for a while until things settle down...

el_Bosco;n7704060 said:
Its not competitive since selfwound skellige is ripping everyone off. I know what i'm taking about since i've leveled from 5 rank to 11 playing it in just 2 days.

Same thing, lol. Leveled from rank 8 to 11 as well with masochist deck.

Yeah both of these decks are kind of ridiculous. Already tried eating axemen/queensguard with Letho, or blocking them with Ithlinne, but they still win. :p Maybe I'm just not used to the new mechanics, but the decks are strong either way.

GKZhukov;n7703530 said:

The deck lacks deck-thinning, so Raging Berserkers should be replaced by Shieldmaidens. Also 3 bears are too many, 2 are more than enough, adding at least 1 Berserker as a backup plan will do wonders in specific situations. As KasumiGoto mentioned, remove Roach, it does nothing for your deck and Skellige has like 5 awesome silvers you could add instead. And last, but not least, both Yennefers are a MUST for this deck.
I would change many more things, but it's your deck, so i'm only giving you basic advice you could consider trying out.

TheWalkingHawking;n7704730 said:
The deck lacks deck-thinning, so Raging Berserkers should be replaced by Shieldmaidens. Also 3 bears are too many, 2 are more than enough, adding at least 1 Berserker as a backup plan will do wonders in specific situations. As KasumiGoto mentioned, remove Roach, it does nothing for your deck and Skellige has like 5 awesome silvers you could add instead. And last, but not least, both Yennefers are a MUST for this deck.
I would change many more things, but it's your deck, so i'm only giving you basic advice you could consider trying out.

I don't have either Yennefer or Lugos. I agree with both you and KasumiGoto Lugos is a better fit than Roach, although I think Roach is a little under-rated. Most rounds I'll be dropping a Gold, he deck-thins, and he's an extra unit (profit if there's a bear and more than 1 Skirmisher, profit if I'm Warcrying anyway, profit for Sigfrida). I'm also a bit biased towards Roach just because he's Roach, plus he was my first (and for a long time only) Legendary.

As for Yennefers, I'd stick the Unicorn/Chirothing one in if I had it, but it's worth noting that Lugos and Yennefer mostly just reinforce the match-ups that are already favourable. If my opponent swarms lots of units, I should ruin him the majority of the time. Where the deck struggles is against decks that can super-buff (and deal with axeman). That's where Igni or Coral can win games that Yennefer would lose. And the stall of Birna and Ciri also helps a lot in playing around opponent's who have the tools to counter the axeman (and actually know how to do it).

Essentially I've traded some of the natural strength of the archetype (backing myself to win the favourable match-ups with less tools) in order to give me some adaptability in match-ups that don't favour the deck. I think there's merit in both approaches.

I was going to try out Shieldmaidens, but didn't draw a single one in my post-patch keg-opening spree. I know they cost barely anything to craft, but I used up my scrap too lol. Will probably make some at some point.

Last edited:
el_Bosco;n7704060 said:

Please share your deck then as from many days I am on rank 7 only. Getting so many Mo. & I am loosing with every other monster no matter what I try :( :/

Top Bottom