Thoughts and Advice? Discard Deck!

+
Thoughts and Advice? Discard Deck!

I have finally been able to create a SK deck which suits me pretty well so far. Although im only in rank 5 it appears to be letting me win a good majority of my matches. Any advice in which might improve upon it would be appreciated.

Leader
Bran

Bronze
3x Raiders
3x Skirmishers
3x Shieldmaidens
3x Priestess
3x War Longships
2x Brokvar Archer
1x Thunderbolt
1x Immune Boost

Silver
Morkvaarg
Gremist
Sigrdrifa
Blackhand
Svanrige
Restore

Gold
Hjalmar
Lugos
Triss
Ermion

I want to eventually replace Triss for possibly Ciri when I get her but im not sure. Again, any advice would be grateful.

Last edited:
You're running too many bronzes imo.

I would straight up:
remove thunderbolt and immune boost
swap bears in place of archers
swap restore for decoy (straight up better)
remove 1 longship (only good on round 1 imo)
remove 1 skirmisher (2 are enough imo)

this way your deck will be more consistent.

in Gwent you basically require 2 win conditions. For that, I would play something like this:
rely on bear/ship/maiden value to shut down opponent on round 1 while thinning your deck, res on skirmishers, etc, go for a round 1 win.
Play a long round 2 while keep thinning your deck
keep just a freya/sig, blackhand, and Hjalmar for round 3.

thinning wise, you have:
-2 from pirates
-2 from maidens
-3 from bran
-1 from svan
-1 from lugos
-2 from Ermion
-13 draws

that is 24 out of 25 cards, meaning that when it works perfectly, you'll always have exactly the cards you want in last round.

shroudb;n8900360 said:
You're running too many bronzes imo.

I would straight up:
remove thunderbolt and immune boost
swap bears in place of archers
swap restore for decoy (straight up better)
remove 1 longship (only good on round 1 imo)
remove 1 skirmisher (2 are enough imo)

this way your deck will be more consistent.

in Gwent you basically require 2 win conditions. For that, I would play something like this:
rely on bear/ship/maiden value to shut down opponent on round 1 while thinning your deck, res on skirmishers, etc, go for a round 1 win.
Play a long round 2 while keep thinning your deck
keep just a freya/sig, blackhand, and Hjalmar for round 3.

thinning wise, you have:
-2 from pirates
-2 from maidens
-3 from bran
-1 from svan
-1 from lugos
-2 from Ermion
-13 draws

that is 24 out of 25 cards, meaning that when it works perfectly, you'll always have exactly the cards you want in last round.

Ive been thinking about getting rid of a skirm and replacing restore for decoy is a good idea as well. The archers I keep so I can just a damage if I need to to proc my maidens or if I need to get rid of rot cows or fireballs from my side of the field. Also, I have been trying out savage bears in another deck and 9/10 times they get thrown off the field before they can put out any real value. The way I ran the deck was setup on round 1 with getting skirms in the graveyard and mork out before just passing which more times than not gives me card advantage. I then go into the 2nd round using longships(prob drop down to 2 though) to an immediate Bran for the raiders and using that damage to then get my maidens out. Turn 3 is for my res if I didn't need to use for round 2 and hjalmar. Also just got Coral and replaced Triss with her.

Yahdop;n8901980 said:
Ive been thinking about getting rid of a skirm and replacing restore for decoy is a good idea as well. The archers I keep so I can just a damage if I need to to proc my maidens or if I need to get rid of rot cows or fireballs from my side of the field. Also, I have been trying out savage bears in another deck and 9/10 times they get thrown off the field before they can put out any real value. The way I ran the deck was setup on round 1 with getting skirms in the graveyard and mork out before just passing which more times than not gives me card advantage. I then go into the 2nd round using longships(prob drop down to 2 though) to an immediate Bran for the raiders and using that damage to then get my maidens out. Turn 3 is for my res if I didn't need to use for round 2 and hjalmar. Also just got Coral and replaced Triss with her.

Good, Coral is a straight up upgrade from Triss. The bears instead of archers I included because they are usually more value if played early in a round. They fill the same purpose, maiden enablers.

usually with discard effects you are better off fighting for round 1 and 3 because an early opponent pass on t2 means that you don't have time to thin your deck, lowering your t3 consistency. Also makes for some bad t2 draws if you haven't thrown your pirates at t1 and etc

shroudb;n8901480 said:
you'll mill yourself with that deck... 28 draws on a 25 card deck.

​​​​​​​also pirate captain doesn't grow in graveyard.

I changed it slightly. Also - you should just draw the captains the old fashioned way.

cgidiot;n8902540 said:
I changed it slightly. Also - you should just draw the captains the old fashioned way.

i was talking about your quote in your actual deck link that said "you should just rez the captains"

because they don't grow in gy, there is no merit in having them as "rez targets" since their base strength is rather low

edit:

the updated list seems way better, but there're still some things that can be improved imo.

the basic premise of a kambi deck is to use her+hjalmar to win round 3, you got the part with renew (for 2nd hjalmar if you're required to use him earlier), double shackles is also kinda required in the deck, and you've got the thinning part down.

the places i disagree is mainly CA. Decks like Kambi or Villen control and etc require some form of CA in order to mitigrate your combo being overturned/disabled. Basically, you need to have CA going round 3. The only card halping with that is Uldaryk, which, imo always, isn't enough.

the second point i'm not so certain is your choice of bronzes:
you basically don't have enough "discard targets" to capitalize on your thinning. You'll be forced to drop your captains, gaining 0 value out of them essentially. Captains are also counterintuitive with a Kambi deck: You are required to discard stuff so that they build up poower, so you can't play them early, but you also gain nothing playing them late because Kambi will take them out. In short, they're kinda akward for thwat you're aiming to do.

I would replace them with a 3rd raider, a skirmisher and a 3rd freya.

The reason for this is that it's easier to use a freya to raise a big fat guy out of your graveyard (skirmisher) for that last push after kambi explodes. Even double res, one before the explosion and one after, will only help buffing him even more and give you something to play in those 3 rounds you're waiting for the explosion.

I also dislike witchers in a skelliga deck. Basically, SK's power was always the silvers, and you're denying yourself 3 silver slots for a tempo play that you can match with a solid rez.

Lastly you don't have a single weather control tech in there, making it a real hurdle to win vs anything running weather, and Dagon foglets is all over the place. Even if not against Dagon, every single deck plays their mage for a clutch weather spawning which you cannot answer cand can easily cost you a round.

Decoy and grmist can easily tilt a round in your favor vs weather, and even if not against weather, they can be quite strong plays by themselves. As for the last slot, you're running Hjalmar and Renew, which COULD have been a double hjalmar, but you don't have a single way to kill the lord outside of Kambi. Blackhand is a solid card even without taking Hjalmar into consideration, but with him in the deck, it seems like much better than witchers.

At least those are my thoughts on the deck.

Last edited:
I came here to see if any SK player is ready to eat the words he was typing when he was crying about QG nerfs and the change on bears.. Now there are so many QG decks that I am seriously thinking on swifting to NG (I am NR player) just for the sole purpose of messing with you with Vicocaro Medics Necromancy and other similar cards..

NickStrife;n8911260 said:
I came here to see if any SK player is ready to eat the words he was typing when he was crying about QG nerfs and the change on bears.. Now there are so many QG decks that I am seriously thinking on swifting to NG (I am NR player) just for the sole purpose of messing with you with Vicocaro Medics Necromancy and other similar cards..

You understand the irony when discard SK is still lacking right?

yes, bears are strong, and QG had their nerf REVERTED (in case you missed it) and they're still as vulnerable to GY manipulation as predicted.

so... yeah, stop crying about SK.

I've created this discard hybrid deck.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/22035-trollige

It's pretty decent so far! The idea is to thin the deck with the Bran + An Craite Raider and the maidens while still getting amazing tempo from thinning. Then the special cards are here to counter all the cancerous crap of the meta. because screw weather, Tibor, Kayran, boosted dwarves and protectors!

Edit: Low numbers so far but that's 5 straight wins in a row (100% win rate), including one game with a crappy mulligan hand (2 maidens, 3 raiders but Lugos, renew and Hjalmar in hand) against a hard counter NG deck (Emyr spy deck with 3 medics, rot tosser, Tibor and such). Also won 2 SK mirror matches including Morkvarg and QG.

Last edited:
So far with a few minor adjustments ive been able to go from rank 5 to 7, almost 8) with 0 defeats against it. So I don't think SK Discard is out just yet.

Im going to try a deck like this today(NR player ).I dont like the way bears behave on my Sergeant+commando tempo deck .If you cant beat them,join them.

shroudb;n8923810 said:
You understand the irony when discard SK is still lacking right?
yes, bears are strong, and QG had their nerf REVERTED (in case you missed it) and they're still as vulnerable to GY manipulation as predicted.
so... yeah, stop crying about SK.

Bears are not strong.. They are OP to the point if you don't shackle them or remove them it's auto defeat and they are bronze cards.. I know that the QG nerf was reverted and i disagree... Why?? Well see the current state of meta.. SK dominates almost eveything.. And yes SK will always be weak against graveyard manipulation.. they are the graveyard faction after all.. If CDPR doesn't give SK some sort of graveyard immunity while nerfing the shit out of you (for balance reasons) SK will be either too weak to do anything or too OP and only weak to graveyard manipulation (which can't be done by any other faction except NG and Monsters).. I will stop crying about SK only when SK players stop crying about Vicovaro Medics...

NickStrife;n8941870 said:
Bears are not strong.. They are OP to the point if you don't shackle them or remove them it's auto defeat and they are bronze cards.. I know that the QG nerf was reverted and i disagree... Why?? Well see the current state of meta.. SK dominates almost eveything.. And yes SK will always be weak against graveyard manipulation.. they are the graveyard faction after all.. If CDPR doesn't give SK some sort of graveyard immunity while nerfing the shit out of you (for balance reasons) SK will be either too weak to do anything or too OP and only weak to graveyard manipulation (which can't be done by any other faction except NG and Monsters).. I will stop crying about SK only when SK players stop crying about Vicovaro Medics...

that's just faulty logic:

"because bears are strong let's nerf QG which are at most an average deck"... that makes 0 sense. That's just salt overdose.

It's like saying "consume monsters are strong, let's nerf wild hunt"

QG, at 4 strength, are, from my own experience, just right. Not too strong, not too weak. Vs graveyard manipulation, you can supplement with something else, currently bears, but it should have been something more discard oriented.

so yes, discard (ships, captains, pirates, etc) needs a BUFF actually, and yes, bears needs a nerf, but that's irrelevant to the QG hilariously stupid nerf (that thankfully didn't happen)

Also, Bears are OP atm, yes. But if they weren't, SK would have ZERO ways to combat weather monsters and/or consume, that's because they lack CORE cardsa that every other faction has, like clear row bronze units, decent removal, and etc.

shroudb;n8944000 said:
Also, Bears are OP atm, yes. But if they weren't, SK would have ZERO ways to combat weather monsters and/or consume, that's because they lack CORE cardsa that every other faction has, like clear row bronze units, decent removal, and etc.

That's the issue.. You say discard deck is lacking.. You say SK is average.. IN COMPARISON WITH WHAT????? Weather??? 0_o You try to compare SK with OP decks for balancing reasons?? That's just wrong.. NG was nerfed to the ground.. The only OP thing NR had was the reavers and they were nerfed to the ground too.. SC is struggling in general.. The only factions that compete with each other are weather monsters (and at least golden weather was nerfed at last) and SK.. Almost all SK decks right now use the OP bears and QG deck is no exception... So yeah, something needs to be nerfed...

Also, apart from QG you have the OP kambi and the damn strong Hjalmar.. Not to mention Morkvarg is still annoying.. And the fact SK likes to strengthen units instead of boosting makes resets useless... And now what's this.?? Weather spamming SK deck??? REALLY??? Like we didn't have enough issues with weather already... Right now, SK DOMINATES almost everything else except monsters...

So yeah, i have all the reasons to be more than salty...

Last edited by a moderator:
NickStrife;n8947910 said:
That's the issue.. You say discard deck is lacking.. You say SK is average.. IN COMPARISON WITH WHAT????? Weather??? 0_o You try to compare SK with OP decks for balancing reasons?? That's just wrong.. NG was nerfed to the ground.. The only OP thing NR had was the reavers and they were nerfed to the ground too.. SC is struggling in general.. The only factions that compete with each other are weather monsters (and at least golden weather was nerfed at last) and SK.. Almost all SK decks right now use the OP bears and QG deck is no exception... So yeah, something needs to be nerfed...

Also, apart from QG you have the OP kambi and the damn strong Hjalmar.. Not to mention Morkvarg is still annoying.. And the fact SK likes to strengthen units instead of boosting makes resets useless... And now what's this.?? Weather spamming SK deck??? REALLY??? Like we didn't have enough issues with weather already... Right now, SK DOMINATES almost everything else except monsters..

So yeah, i have all the reasons to be more than salty...

i say discard is lacking in comparrison to similar archetypes like Reveal. Basically the whole "do X and gain bonuses" that are reveal/discard/mulligan which are similar archetypes:
mulligan is kept behind because it lacks silvers and bronzes
discard is kept behind because it doesn't actually have enough synergistic bonuses and slots (because you need to discard stuff to actually work)
reveal is fine.

basically, the core problem of discard is that there is ONE bronze that you want to discard, raiders, and one that discards itself for thinning, pirates.
pirates are atm the worst thinning of the game power wise (thin by 2 power 6, while everything else is either thin by 3 power 6 or thin by 2 power 9)
and then you're out of space.

if you include the 2 "core" discard bronzes which would be the captains and the ships, the pirates and the raiders because they are the synergy discard cards, that leaves only 1 bronze slot, freyas, and 0 space for antiweather, tech, thinning, discard targets, etc

which is why the archetype fails.

A simple change is to actually allow captains to be buffed in the graveyard AS THE CARD ACTUALLY IMPLIES (everywhere it is) would do wonders, because it would give 6 discard "targets" (which are still not enough for the archetype to work btw)

simply put: when you "reveal" or you "mulligan" something, you don't lose the card, as you do with discard, which allows more freedom and much MUCH more targets, yet they have the exact numeric benefits as discarding, which is why discard lags behind both reveal AND mulligan (despite mulligan actually needing help as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay everyone, let's tone down a bit. No more ridiculing and no more making things personal. Be nice, even if you disagree. Thank you.

Few posts edited.

shroudb;n8949380 said:
simply put: when you "reveal" or you "mulligan" something, you don't lose the card, as you do with discard, which allows more freedom and much MUCH more targets, yet they have the exact numeric benefits as discarding, which is why discard lags behind both reveal AND mulligan (despite mulligan actually needing help as well)

SK can revive units so i think putting a card to the graveyard is no big deal.. you can get it back far more easier than the other factions can... You just like to say that archetypes are lacking without realising what these archetypes are..

Reveal for example.. By round 2 you know ALL the cards that your enemy has in his hand while some of your cards receive additional benefits from it... Your enemy can't bluff, and can't fool you.. If you think this very concept isn't unhealthy and OP by itself and you actually believe it needs buffing then i dunno what to say honestly.. It should be OBVIOUS reveal cards don't need any more buffing... As for Mulligan?? Come on.. I wish i could cycle through my whole deck effortlessly while some of my cards are getting buffed in the process... If these decks received proper additional cards or buffs in order to be made into complete archetypes we will have in our hands more balancing problems than just SK and weather.,..

It's the same for SK.. the graveyard as a theme it's too OP as there is a very limited number of cards which can interact with the graveyard and they are not available to all factions..

Last edited:
Top Bottom