CEO of CDPR Adam Kicinski on (a possibile) Witcher 4. True or fake news?

+
CEO of CDPR Adam Kicinski on (a possibile) Witcher 4. True or fake news?

Hi,

wondering if there's anything true on this news over the internet...

The CEO of the company Adam Kicinski recently dropped this juicy little tidbit on Polish TV station TVN24 BiS.

“It’s too early to talk about it, but it’s not like we’re forgetting about this brand, It wouldn’t be fair towards the fans. We work within this universe for over a dozen years now and I don’t think it’s going to be the end of it.

Even if there will be a new witcher game, it won't come out until 2020/21 or so.
Can't wait for Cyberpunk tho :3

I wouldn't read too much into it as this phrase being a solid confirmation. Personally I think the Witcher brand is too strong to be totally buried. Maybe put on the shelf for a couple of years.

But only time will tell, I guess.

gregski;n8153210 said:
I wouldn't read too much into it as this phrase being a solid confirmation. Personally I think the Witcher brand is too strong to be totally buried. Maybe put on the shelf for a couple of years.

This is a very common theory among the Witcher fanbase, and for a good reason. There will be another game, I don't think any of us have to be worried about that. However, I believe we should worry a slight amount about what they will do regarding the story of said game. I say 'slight' because I have faith in the writers at CDPR, as the last three Witcher games have given me no reason to doubt them.

Alastre;n8144100 said:
Adam Kicinski recently dropped
This interview happened more than year ago, I don't know why is everyone talking about it now, nevertheless I also think that the next Witcher game is (sadly) inevitable.

Last edited:
For those who may be wondering what's being discussed here, the interview in question was from back in December of 2015. Shortly afterwards, Gamepressure.com recounted selected remarks from the original Polish TV interview for those of us who aren't proficient in the language. As far as I can gather, nothing definite was confirmed, although the incident continues to fuel wishful speculations for the expansion of the Series.

Personally, I suspect that Gwent's single-player campaigns will be only new entries set within the world of the Witcher, at least for a while.

Last edited:
A more recent quote from Kicinski (source):

and finally, one investor pressed CEO by saying:

Your current valuation of 7 billion PLN is mostly thanks to the success of The Witcher series, don't you think that if you announced Witcher 4, your valuation would be 10 billion or more?

Kiciński shrugged, and said: The Witcher was designed as a trilogy. Trilogy cannot have a fourth part, however we like that world very much. We have invested 15 years of our lives and loads of money into it and we will probably think about it at some point. But please consider us as rational people, we sometimes have weird ideas, but overall our thinking is very rational. We have full rights to The Witcher games. They are ours. We have invested enormous funds into promoting it, and it's a very strong brand. Answer your own question :)

- But there are also shareholders...

- Sure, but there's also communication and that's a trouble, that we have talking to you guys. We have to be very careful with our words, because what we tell you is also heard by the gamers. Obviously plenty of you are gamers as well, but what we tell gamers is part of the marketing campaign, so we can't discuss certain things even though we know them already. We cannot reveal our full hand.

It says more or less the same as previous interviews, though, it is likely that there will be a future game in the Witcher universe, but also that it will not be a direct sequel to the existing games which were designed as a trilogy, and thus it might not actually be called "The Witcher 4".

Riven-Twain;n8284420 said:
Ay, instead, perhaps we'll see Not The Witcher 4: Beyond the Trilogy.

A spin-off then like Mass Effect: Andromeda as many suspected. Wonder if they'll want to choose a Witcher MC or just have "Set in the world of the Witcher" and let you play as a mage or something.

RepHope;n8304250 said:
Wonder if they'll want to choose a Witcher MC or just have "Set in the world of the Witcher" and let you play as a mage or something.
There are doubtless several possibilities, depending on the approach, but I suppose the choice could be conditioned by considerations such as: A. What sort of character(s) the REDs would be interested in creating. B. What sort of character(s) they feel players would like to play. Since, as I understand it, CDPR is principally made up of gamers, I suppose it would also rather depend on what sort of character(s) the developers would like to play. In any case, the REDs have received no shortage of feedback regarding continuing the Franchise; however, I'm not sure if there's a clear consensus of opinion from the Community when it comes to potential new characters. Some people favour Ciri, some want Geralt back, some want a new, predefined witcher, while a few others would like to see a younger Vesemir, and others still would like to create their own characters. In short, I've no idea.

Last edited:
Riven-Twain;n8304410 said:
There are doubtless several possibilities, depending on the approach, but I suppose the choice could be conditioned by considerations such as: A. What sort of character(s) the REDs would be interested in creating. B. What sort of character(s) they feel players would like to play. Since, as I understand it, CDPR is principally made up of gamers, I suppose it would also rather depend on what sort of character(s) the developers would like to play. In any case, the REDs have received no shortage of feedback regarding continuing the Franchise; however, I'm not sure if there's a clear consensus of opinion from the Community when it comes to potential new characters. Some people favour Ciri, some want Geralt back, some want a new, predefined witcher, while a few others would like to see a younger Vesemir, and others still would like to create their own characters. In short, I've no idea.
Agreed, there are many small divides in this regard. Maybe they should cozy up to Sapkowski and ask him what he thinks. In their latest statement, during their financial review of 2016, it was said that the first three games were designed as a trilogy, and that's that. What was not emphasized, however, was Geralt not returning to the series. I think that they may very slyly bring him back, but for a far different purpose than what we've seen before. They have extremely talented writers that I am sure can create another fantastic storyline without throwing the last three games to the wind.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not a Witcher game or story without Geralt.

Last edited:
gregski;n8153210 said:

I hope that it doesn't get degraded to a game which is a guaranteed money maker, which is the justification for more games. It deserves better than that and, I am sure CDPR feel the same.

Hart95;n8306450 said:
during their financial review of 2016, it was said that the first three games were designed as a trilogy, and that's that. What was not emphasized, however, was Geralt not returning to the series.

Were they asked specifically about Geralt returning? It has been said many times already that his story is over, I do not think there is any special meaning to that not being emphasized once more. And a sequel with Geralt would definitely be extending the trilogy and it would be a "Witcher 4", so saying that the existing games were designed as a trilogy that will not be continued kind of implies not making a Geralt sequel. There are other possibilities, though, like a prequel with a much younger (~50 years?) Geralt, or a sequel, but in the distant future (50-100 years later), those can still be considered more or less separate from the trilogy. Or a complete reboot that starts the story again (differently) from the ending of the novels and ignores the previous games. But I would prefer a new protagonist to any of those and let go of Geralt already, if CDPR really has talented writers, then there is more potential in new characters than just making more of the same because fans wanted it.

sv3672;n8306910 said:
Were they asked specifically about Geralt returning? It has been said many times already that his story is over, I do not think there is any special meaning to that not being emphasized once more. And a sequel with Geralt would definitely be extending the trilogy and it would be a "Witcher 4", so saying that the existing games were designed as a trilogy that will not be continued kind of implies not making a Geralt sequel. There are other possibilities, though, like a prequel with a much younger (~50 years?) Geralt, or a sequel, but in the distant future (50-100 years later), those can still be considered more or less separate from the trilogy. Or a complete reboot that starts the story again (differently) from the ending of the novels and ignores the previous games. But I would prefer a new protagonist to any of those and let go of Geralt already, if CDPR really has talented writers, then there is more potential in new characters than just making more of the same because fans wanted it.
I don't mean that he could be the main character, but rather a supporting character. At the very least I expect him to return in future games as that.

Hart95;n8307390 said:
I don't mean that he could be the main character, but rather a supporting character. At the very least I expect him to return in future games as that.

They'd have to canonize an ending then, since he basically kills himself in one of them. They have canonized some stuff before so while I could see them doing it, I think it's far more likely if a new entry is created it will be separated by either time or space from the Geralt trilogy. A game set outside the Northern Kingdoms or far in the future.

RepHope;n8309940 said:
They'd have to canonize an ending then, since he basically kills himself in one of them. They have canonized some stuff before so while I could see them doing it, I think it's far more likely if a new entry is created it will be separated by either time or space from the Geralt trilogy. A game set outside the Northern Kingdoms or far in the future.
If they decide to do anything else, I hope they go back in time. An interesting idea that I've shared before would be a story based on the creation of witchers, or perhaps more specifically the Wolf School.

Top Bottom