Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for "The Witcher 4"?

+

Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for The Witcher 4?

• Total voters
Geralt.

If they ever make the books into games, there could be the chance to play Geralt and Ciri similiar to what we had in Witcher 3 already, but a Witchergame without Geralt is not a Witchergame anymore for me.

I know it is a lame and boring option to choose Geralt again, but imagine Batman is played by someone else than Bruce Wayne, it isn't the same anymore.

I would rather have a new restart of the games (one without amnesia -.-) than a sequel without him.

Young vesemir would be my choice without doubt. We'd get to see the wolf school at it's glory and CDPR would have a lot of creativity freedom regarding the plot, considering Andrej never wrote anything about vesemir's adulthood.

Imagine how it could end with vesemir taking baby geralt with him to kaer morhen.
I'm not sure about this though, because geralt had to wait 6 years to get ciri IIRC.

Geralt Forever

I see a lot of people on this forum with the opinion that either:
1) there should not be any more games in The Witcher series;
2) the main character of new games should be someone other than Geralt.

But why?
I have three objective arguments and one subjective argument for the continuation of the series specifically with Geralt as the main character.

1. Potential.
If the guys from CDPR are able to create an interesting story, then why can't they release a new game? Is everybody so scared of the "conveyor" that they prefer death and a dead end to it? The Witcher series has huge potential, and it has yet to fully develop. It would be great if the devs got rid of the old characters (bye-bye, Triss, Yennefer and Ciri) and put Geralt in a new environment.

2. Geralt is an irreplaceable hero.
You have to understand that Geralt is the cornerstone of the series. It's not Lord of the Rings, where the world and the characters are equal; and it's not Skyrim where the world is more interesting than the characters. In our case the world was written for the hero and it would be dead without him. It's like shooting movies about Indiana Jones or James Bourne with some other protagonists.

3. Geralt is a versatile hero.
Geralt is not John Shepard, whose vocation is to save the world. If Shepard were to do anything else, then everyone would be bored - that's the reason why he appeared in only three games and died in the third.
Geralt is a witcher. His profession is such that it would be easy to make a lot of games about him, like short stories in the first book by Sapkowski, and it won't turn worse. He is like Robin Hood, about whom hundreds of ballads were written in the Middle Ages.

4. Not everyone liked The Witcher 3.
Many people (including me) believe that the series has deviated a lot from TW1's canon. The gameplay has been simplified for the sake of beginners, and the ambiance has changed a lot too. I expected the game to be a bit different and I don't want TW3 to become the last one in the series.

P.S. If Sapkowski can write new books about Geralt, why can't CDPR make a new game? The main thing is that there was no Yennefer and Ciri. They constantly act like an annoying burden, drawing attention to themselves.

Haralder;n8723100 said:
If the guys from CDPR are able to create an interesting story, then why can't they release a new game? Is everybody so scared of the "conveyor" that they prefer death and a dead end to it? The Witcher series has huge potential, and it has yet to fully develop. It would be great if the devs got rid of the old characters (bye-bye, Triss, Yennefer and Ciri) and put Geralt in a new environment.

That could be possible by making games about a much younger Geralt, like 50 years before the events of the current games. Or it could be in a relatively distant future, after all, witchers live very long, but then it needs to be explained what happened to the old characters. However, without them, the protagonist might just as well be new, too, there is potential in that route if the new character is well written. Geralt is largely pre-defined already, and that does limit role playing possibilities in a number of ways. Also, if CDPR did stick with him, there would be pressure on them from fans to bring the other familiar characters back. One might say that already happened after TW1, the later games were about returning Geralt to his "family" from the books. Although at least that cannot be done if the new games are decades in the past, before Geralt met Yennefer in the books or Ciri (and possibly Triss) was even born.

The main thing is that there was no Yennefer and Ciri. They constantly act like an annoying burden, drawing attention to themselves.

I would clearly prefer their absence myself, but the safest way to achieve that is to get rid of Geralt. :p

Last edited:
I would not mine Witcher One Remastered. Since i bounced from this game (clunky combat, last gen graphic). Having old but good story but with modern combat and even more adventures of young Geralt before great war, sure why not.

Playing as Empress Ciri would be ok. But she will be more Mage and Timelord than Witcher.

The problem with custom Witcher is that it does not offer much over Young Geralt, since we cant be mage anyway, and we are probably guy.

felixsylvaris;n8732930 said:
The problem with custom Witcher is that it does not offer much over Young Geralt, since we cant be mage anyway, and we are probably guy.

There would be two advantages: a new character could have a different personality with more room for the player's choices, this can also affect gameplay (let's say we want stealth in the game, or the possibility to rely more on ranged weapons, but those would not be in character for Geralt), and there would not be a pre-defined future from the books and existing games. Anything that happens in a young Geralt's story is already known not to matter in the end, it is ignored by the books which are now sequels. That is, unless these "young Geralt" games essentially treat the books and already released games as non-canon and reboot the whole story, in that case anything can happen in them. This sounds like an interesting idea, but it may confuse players, and rewriting the books might not be received well by everyone.

sv3672;n8728140 said:
Also, if CDPR did stick with him, there would be pressure on them from fans to bring the other familiar characters back.

Not necessarily. As for me, I've gotten bored with them after the three games.

Riven-Twain;n8729520 said:
Threads merged.

It's unfair. There is no option "Geralt" in the poll attached herein. You suppress my rights.:(:p

Haralder;n8790320 said:
Not necessarily. As for me, I've gotten bored with them after the three games.

As much as I would prefer future games not to include Ciri and especially Yennefer, I am aware that a lot of people want to "ship" them with Geralt as a family, and they might be rather upset by a game where only Geralt was present. It would be bad PR for the developers, and possibly lost sales. But they already said it several times that Geralt's story is finished, so keeping their word on that should not be seen as unreasonable (although I guess there will probably still be some negative attitude towards a new protagonist). To be honest, I would rather see a new IP instead of more Witcher, there is just too much money in the brand for that to be a realistic expectation.

It's unfair. There is no option "Geralt" in the poll attached herein. You suppress my rights.:(:p

There is another poll where Geralt is available as an option. In this particular one he was not included probably because of CDPR's statements that Wild Hunt was his last game.

sv3672;n8790800 said:
As much as I would prefer future games not to include Ciri and especially Yennefer, I am aware that a lot of people want to "ship" them with Geralt as a family, and they might be rather upset by a game where only Geralt was present. It would be bad PR for the developers, and possibly lost sales.

I think CDPR need to stop dallying with someone else's opinion, even if this is the opinion of the fans. The game is made by the studio, not by its fans. Therefore, fans should respect the choice of developers. And if they are so disappointed that they will not buy a new game - well, well, this will fully demonstrate the extent of their love for the franchise as a whole. After all, true fans will play anyway.

Haralder;n8817140 said:
I think CDPR need to stop dallying with someone else's opinion, even if this is the opinion of the fans. The game is made by the studio, not by its fans. Therefore, fans should respect the choice of developers.

I agree of course, but the developers already made their choice, which is to end Geralt's story. If the decision is suddenly reversed and he is brought back after all, isn't that possibly already a sign of caving in to pressure from the fans? But whatever the real reason is, the arguments in favor of sticking with Geralt generally also apply to keeping the rest of the cast, that is why I have doubts if there would really be a game where you play as Geralt but everyone else is new, even if it is an interesting idea in theory.

I´d like to see a prequel in the times when witchers were more common. Either a customizable or pre-determined character that would be completing her/his trials and preparing to go moster hunting for the first time out into the world. I would also love to see a similar premise but from the perspective of a magic wielder, with the character maybe about to graduate from Aretuza or some other magic academy.

Custom if it was like Dragon Age - Origins who did amazing job with bringing each race into the story differently. Personally i like Geralt as much as any Witcher player but i think he is also too legendary to be starting out struggling with a Nekker lair. I would prefer he was an NPC in the game because he is pretty much already one of the most powerful in the games/books. I think a new character perhaps someone who has been more a sideline character for example Hjalmar or Cerys would be a great choice. Whoever you pick the other got crowned King/Queen, both are strong and would be great heroes in their own right.
Could also be fun to play as a different class like a scoia-tael archer, knight or mage as alternatives to being a Witcher. Seeing how there are no "new" witchers" that we know of it would be hard to write in new ones....however there are a whole bunch of schools we know nothing about (Griffon, Manticore and Bear) so its not impossible.

A new Witcher series instead of The Witcher 4. Maybe instead of continuing Geralts story or Ciris, create an entirely new timeline many years later. Start out as a kid, even have your own party and have Geralt be your mentor. Kinda like how The Witcher 3 started, but this time you actually go through the process of being a novice to becoming a badass powerful witcher. Maybe be able to play as Geralt on some quests.

Пусть остаётся Геральт!!!! Без него сложно представить игру!!
Геральт самый лучший!!!!!!!

Лучше оставить Геральта главным героем, а то если создавать своего персонажа, то игра потеряет свою индивидуальность!

It's better to leave Geralt as the main character, otherwise if you create your character, the game will lose its individuality !! Without Geralt, the game will not be the same !!
I AM VERY WAITING THAT THE MAIN HERO IS THE GERALT IN THE WITCH 4 !!!!!!

Top Bottom