New Digital Comic -- The Witcher: Curse of Crows #1 now available!

+
Ciri has one sword in the comic, after the witcheress epilogue she has two. But it could be a mistake, on the cover she has Zireael sword, but inside it is totally different blade. But if it isn't a mistake, then the action could take place before witcheress epilogue, but as well as before empress epilogue. Or she has second sword in the bags.

Last edited:
Is there any official information on exactly how they treat the books as the games' back story ? I mean, there are two possible approaches to that, and there is an important difference between them:
1. Books are canon to the games until the beginning of the games' storyline, that is, the Rivian pogrom in 1268. After that, the stories are separate, and game events e.g. in the 1270's no longer have to be consistent with the books. I clearly prefer this approach that allows for more creative freedom while still providing a pre-defined background history to start from.
2. Books are canon to the games in any case, even in the games' own time frame. That is, the games have to be written in a way that they follow the events (both past and future) already established in the books, and they can only fill in "holes" that are left in the story. This is bad in my opinion, and also not safe for the future, because the holes may disappear later, should more books be written e.g. to continue Ciri's story.
The games obviously treat most of the *existing* material Sapkowski has written to date as canon. There are minor disrepancies, but nothing major. And it's in fact pretty easy to discount those small things, since there's not a minute "hard canon" even across the books - Sapkowski actually manages to contradict himself a few times on some details, mostly dates and how long it has supposedly been between certain events.

So you can read the books and jump into the games and treat them as a direct sequel taking place in the same timeline. And like I said, even all of W3's endstates can be a match with what we've learned about the future from the books. Some (like Empress Ciri) just a take a little more mental gymnastics than some others (like Witcher Ciri).

Now, if Sapkowski ever writes anything new that directly contradicts what's in the games, there's obviously no way for CDPR to fit that into their existing narrative. And I don't think anyone expects them to start retconning things either. I know I sure don't. That's when we'll have two different timelines that branch after the Rivian pogrom. But as of right now, 99% of what Sapkowski's ever written can be directly applied as the games' backstory.

Now that I think of it, Sapkowski writing a sequel to the saga could actually offer an interesting out for CDPR if they ever wish to start developing The Witcher 4. Then they could simply dump the existing trilogy and W3's various endstates altogether and make a new game that follows Sapkowski's new material. That'd sure be a curious take on things.

As for the comic picking up one of W3's endings and expanding on it... While I brought forward the idea that they simply picked the Witcher Ciri ending as a starting point because it best matches Sapkowski's work, I certainly don't wish to enforce the notion that there should be one single canon path. After all, it pretty much goes against the idea of a branching narrative woven into the games themselves. I know I prefer the neutral ending for W1, Iorveth path for W2 and Witcher Ciri for W3 (and I'm happy that my preferences match the stories told in other mediums), but if there's ever a comic or something else that contradicts one of those choices, I simply treat it as a description of events in a timeline where Geralt chose differently.

And that's how I think we all should treat this new comic (and how those who chose the Roche path in W2 should treat the Saskia comic), and any possible sequel that may or may not be coming from Sapkowski.

Ciriously? Unwounded Geralt carrying Adda after the combat?

SMiki55;n6888440 said:
Ciriously? Unwounded Geralt carrying Adda after the combat?
Well the novel has many other flaws as well. Like calling Adda of Temeria Queen for example. Lets hope there will be some awesome twist in last two issues :D

BTW. I've finally bought this 2015 trade paperback of Polch comics and in reality the art looks much better than on screen - maybe the printed version of "Curse of Crows" won't be as ugly as now (though I doubt that).

Juraj103;n6889330 said:
Well the novel has many other flaws as well. Like calling Adda of Temeria Queen for example. Lets hope there will be some awesome twist in last two issues :D

It has surely many flaws, the story is dull, the characters are OOC only good thing about the comic are the main covers of the issues.

if I got it right, there will be a compiled edition soon, right ?
I'd rather wait for this. I do not like soft back covers

Stereofm;n7057990 said:
if I got it right, there will be a compiled edition soon, right ?
I'd rather wait for this. I do not like soft back covers

Yes the last cover I posted above is for the "all volumes in one" version in book (so far the volumes are only released digitally)

That sad moment when you find 2002' parodic TV series more enjoyable than brand new comic book signed by CDPR.

Well, it's something?

I die of thrist for new witcher content, but atleast i know now that I shouldn't expect too much of it.

Wasn't that bad. Looks like it is set after the ending of Witcher 3, but before Blood and Wine. More of the same, a nice quick read afterall.

For me it looks like it happens before witcheress or empress epilogue, because Ciri has only one sword, Zireael without runes.

In addition
I think relationship between Ciri and Yennefer is quiet good developed, but Geralt's permission for Ciri to beat up some thugs without explanation(comic shows it could be Gwent stuff) is, in my opinion, not apropriate. But Yen protecting Ciri, and Geralt also, from striga's contract, is very good point. She nearly lost Geralt when he fought with Adda. But in the comic scene with Adda's curselifting is shown differently than it should be, because Geralt is healthy and carries Adda on his back, so I don't know if I interpreted Yen's concern about Ciri in proper way.

PATROL;n7388380 said:
For me it looks like it happens before witcheress or empress epilogue, because Ciri has only one sword, Zireael without runes.
Yeah, that sword was probably the final gift then.

PATROL;n7388380 said:
In addition
I think relationship between Ciri and Yennefer is quiet good developed, but Geralt's permission for Ciri to beat up some thugs without explanation(comic shows it could be Gwent stuff) is, in my opinion, not apropriate. But Yen protecting Ciri, and Geralt also, from striga's contract, is very good point. She nearly lost Geralt when he fought with Adda. But in the comic scene with Adda's curselifting is shown differently than it should be, because Geralt is healthy and carries Adda on his back, so I don't know if I interpreted Yen's concern about Ciri in proper way.

Yeah, still nice to read more about them, in the end it is just an adaption like everything.

Kallelinski;n7388460 said:
Yeah, still nice to read more about them, in the end it is just an adaption like everything.

Wierd is that they translated those flashbacks very closely from "The Witcher" short story, they kept original Geralt's appearance from Witcher 1 intro (except of two swords on his back during striga fight), as well as Ostrit and Velerad, but they added scene with Geralt carrying Adda. Like they told themselves "Hey, faithful adaptation is boring, let's change something what matters for whole Geralt's story, but has minor affection for the comic book story". But I suppose, the scene when Geralt is nearly dead would be even better, because it would show us that striga is real danger, and that is the fact the whole series try to deliver, so it would be apropriate. So for me it's unnecessary and weird change.

I'm waiting for chapter five despite the drawings, because as I said, relations are quiet good, and we got whole family together. I have my thoughts about the story, I'm 100% sure who is the monster, but I'm still curious how it will end.

I’ve sent to Dark Horse digital a question regarding the release since February is gone and the new issue isn't still available and they replied to me this:
Thanks for your interest in Dark Horse Comics! Witcher: Curse of Crows #5 is scheduled to be released later this month. Best, Judy DH Digital Service

There is also a hidden cover preview for the upcoming issue:

Top Bottom