The Politics of The Witcher 2. Part 6: Why do they fight?

+
KnightofPhoenix said:
They are working fine for me?

I recommend reading my articles on tumblr, they are better.
Here's part 1.

Yup, I read them there. But when I click on the images to enlarge them:

I wouldn't personally regard this one of your strongest parts in your Politics of the Witcher series, but considering you have more or less summarized these characters and their motives in your earlier parts, there wasn't exactly much to add then to put their "leadership role" in the lime light. Either way, and intriguing read as always, and nice to have their roles summarized in one blog.

Shame you didn't write further on Foltest and Kimbolt. But I assume this is b/c of their minimum level of political involvment in the game compared to the other players, or?

Chewin3 said:
Shame you didn't write further on Foltest and Kimbolt. But I assume this is b/c of their minimum level of political involvment in the game compared to the other players, or?

Yes pretty much. Also because I thought King Henselt and Prince Stennis were more representative of the traditional authority type.

Awesome blog, Knight! Once again, I learned a new lesson about politics. I'm kinda been interested in it after TW2, and your blogs are a bit helpful as guide points (about the three leader types and everything in between).

As a history and political science major, what kind of books would you recommend to read? Any historical persons you'd find interesting that is worth a read? Would be very appreciated :)

Queenslayer said:
Awesome blog, Knight! Once again, I learned a new lesson about politics. I'm kinda been interested in it after TW2, and your blogs are a bit helpful as guide points (about the three leader types and everything in between).

As a history and political science major, what kind of books would you recommend to read? Any historical persons you'd find interesting that is worth a read? Would be very appreciated :)/>

Thank you for the comment :)

I definitely recommend you read about Augustus:
Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor, by Anthony Everitt
and Augustus by Pat Southern

And Muhammad:
Muhammad: Prophet and Statesman, by William Montgomery Watt
and Muhammad, by Maxime Rodinson
and finally Muhammad: Islam's first great general by Richard A. Gabriel, if you're interested in military history

And there are others like Philippe IV le Bel, Louis XIV, Richelieu, Robespierre, Edward III, Abd al-Rahman I and III, Almanzor, Mua'wiya, Caesar, Constantine, Genghis Khan, Bismarck...etc

That's as far as biographies are concerned. If you're interested in other types of books, that explain a period or phenomenon, let me know what would interest you and I'll compile a book list if I can :)

Thank you very much for the list, Kop! I will look into these!

And certainly, if it isn't too much of a bother, I would love for you to recommend any interesting time periods and such. I personally have no clue where to start, or what would be a "educational" read. :)

To which I might add The History of the Rebellion and Civil Wars in England (Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon), in easily readable online copy at http://archive.org/details/england01claruoft (Clarendon famously calls Cromwell a "brave bad man").

Thank you for the suggestion, Guy! Having been reading A Song of Ice and Fire has made me interested in medieval history, and histories of England sounds like a very intriguing read, but I didn't know where to start, or what is good ones. I will look into this one. Thank you again :)

Just read through this and the previous 5, and they're really well done, gave me some new insights I hadn't considered before. Thanks!

KnightofPhoenix said:
Philippe IV le Bel
I despise him - little to do with his actual policies mainly because I blame him for all the terrible Knight's Templar conspiracy fiction and actual beliefs that plague humanity.

I was wondering, do you think if you kill Henselt will it "help" Nilfgaard in W3? Will it be "noted" by the Nilfgaard Authorities and the Northern ones?

I never could bring myself to kill him in W2, so I even have no idea what happens if he dies, also what happens to Kaedwen if Dethmold is alive and Henselt dead?

Yes, it will help. Letho wanted to kill Henselt, after all. It was "desirable, but no longer necessary". So, by allowing Roche to kill him, you simply finish Letho's contract, so to speak. It seems that Dethmold dies either way, even if Roche went to save Anais alone. He did save her, but did not bring to the summit. We see them in the cut-scene, near a camp fire on a path where Geralt saves Triss. Without Henselt Kaedwen is in chaos and will be until a new king will be chosen (or agreed upon), or someone takes a throne by force. henselt did not leave lawful heirs, so, probably, it will be a civil war, or at least Kaedwen will be less interested in a new Nilfgaardian invasion, and will deal with its internal affairs.

Top Bottom