Frustrating

+
Frustrating

I have sung the praises of W3 to every gamer I know, but W2 is the most frustrating game I have tried to play.

After a mountain of save game problems, I decided to wipe the game from my hard drive and reinstall it. Know matter what I try I can't get the game to work. So I uninstalled and reinstalled again and still this game won't work. I love this story but I have only been able to play it through once. I'd love to play it again but I am at the end of my tether with it. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

westyofoz;n7610690 said:
I can't get the game to work
Glad to help, if I can. For starters, what specific problems are you experiencing (error messages, crashes, graphics issues, etc.)? And what version of the game do you have (CD, GOG, Steam, etc.)?

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

I initially had issues we the game not saving but I have reinstalled the game twice since then. I get the initial splash screen to launch the game. I click on launch game, it looks like it is about to start the game but then nothing happens and the initial splash screen comes back. I have cleared the save games, I have cleared the Wither 1 save games in case that was a problem. I have tried different resolutions, and a few other things. I have no problem playing Witcher 3 or any other of my games, just this one. I have the Steam version.

I saw in one of the threads about conflicts with other programs, but the link listing the programs is dead.

westyofoz;n7611380 said:
I have the Steam version.
Thanks for the information. One more basic question: Have you tried verifying your game's integrity through Steam? It's possible that some data was -- or may have become -- corrupt.

Last edited:
Since the last install I have done it twice. The first time it had to download one file, the second time it completed with no problems

I have tried running it from the directory and running the registry suggestion to avoid steam multiple times, no good, it just won't start for whatever reason. I think I just have to write it off I guess. Thank you for your help though, appreciate it.

Last edited:
westyofoz;n7611770 said:
Thank you for your help though, appreciate it.
You're welcome. I'm very sorry I couldn't be of more help! Before we abandon the case, however, I'd like to refer it to my colleague SigilFey, and, if all else fails, you can contact RED Support, here. If you choose to contact them, please, inform them of all the solutions you've already tried.

By all means I am happy for SigilFey to offer any suggestions. I love the game and the story, so preferrably I'd love to find a solution. Thanks again.

westyofoz;n7611900 said:
By all means I am happy for SigilFey to offer any suggestions. I love the game and the story, so preferrably I'd love to find a solution. Thanks again.
Not a problem. He'll probably see my note in a few hours. I'm glad you enjoy the story -- Assassins of Kings has a good one!

Sken

Forum veteran
I seem to recall you can redeem Witcher 2 on GOG.com for free if you have the Steam version. If this is still the case, maybe download and try the version on GOG.

Hello! Just had a read of the thread, and sorry to hear that you're having such issues. I remember hearing a lot about TW2 save issues, but I never experienced any of them myself. Still, there are a few general things it could be. Could you start by answering:

1.) You system specs, OS version, GPU driver version, etc. Can you also state where your virtual memory is located and how much free space is available on that drive?

2.) If you have Steam installed under either Program Files or Program File (x86), move that to the root of the drive (i.e. C:\Steam..., not C:\Program Files\Steam...)

3.) If you are using anything like Geforce Experience, Razer Booster, etc., I recommend uninstalling them completely, as they can introduce problems -- especially with legacy titles. Also, disable any overclocking you may have running.

4.) Disable Steam overlay features.

5.) Once all of the above is done, verify the integrity of the game cache through Steam. Ensure you manually set the .EXE files in the games installation directory to "Run as administrator".

If everything above checks out and problems persist, then it might be something related to User Account Control and/or Firewall.

Sken;n7613240 said:
I seem to recall you can redeem Witcher 2 on GOG.com for free if you have the Steam version.
westyofoz , I had to check whether this was still available, thus I didn't recommend it at once; however, it looks like it could be an alternative, if SigilFey's suggestions don't solve the issue. To redeem your copy, you can visit this GOG page: https://www.gog.com/witcher/backup, and enter your product key, which you should find in your library. If for some reason that doesn't work, you can also try the form here: http://thewitcher.com/en/backup .

Thanks for all the advice, greatly appreciated. I am tied up today, but i will work on it tonight as soon as I can and hopefully solve the problem.

Riven-Twain;n7617720 said:
westyofoz , I had to check whether this was still available, thus I didn't recommend it at once; however, it looks like it could be an alternative, if SigilFey's suggestions don't solve the issue. To redeem your copy, you can visit this GOG page: https://www.gog.com/witcher/backup, and enter your product key, which you should find in your library. If for some reason that doesn't work, you can also try the form here: http://thewitcher.com/en/backup .

Hi, I checked out GOG and it seems like an okay platform. I even saw a couple of titles that were old favourites I might grab down the road. So rather than mess with Steam and waste even more time trying to get it working, I decided to installed GOG, I installed W2, the product key worked fine, and the game plays perfect. I'm stoked. Thank you for the help, I wouldn't be playing without it. You made an old disabled guy very happy.

westyofoz;n7628460 said:
Hi, I checked out GOG and it seems like an okay platform. I even saw a couple of titles that were old favourites I might grab down the road. So rather than mess with Steam and waste even more time trying to get it working, I decided to installed GOG, I installed W2, the product key worked fine, and the game plays perfect. I'm stoked. Thank you for the help, I wouldn't be playing without it. You made an old disabled guy very happy.
Splendid! I'm very glad this worked for you! Enjoy Assassins of Kings!

Top Bottom