GOTY/Complete Edition FAQ

+
If you have the base game and the expansions, you technically have the same content as the GOTY Edition. The only difference is the Title.

That's not 100% true. The main menu in the GOTY edition is different from the main menu of the standard version with all DLC : the entry "Downloadable content" doesn't exist anymore in the GOTY edition, the DLC options (alternative outfit for Ciri, Triss and Yennefer, additional Gwent cards) have been moved into the game options, and the main menu display change at each launch of the game.

This is a pain for the modders and oblige CDPR to maintain two software branches for the same product, with as result versions that do not have the same content with the same number (1.31 standard and GOTY are different).

I agree with Kobi_Blade that CDPR should grant to standard users access to the GOTY edition, with the goal to unify the two complete products in the future. If not, at least they should modify the standard version to unify the main menu and the integration of the 16 free DLC, as on the GOTY version.

Riven-Twain;n124112 said:

6. Can I transfer my existing saves or do I need to start over?

A: If you own the base game on PC and you want to buy the GOTY Edition your game saves will work.

TW3 GOTY Edition just appeared in my GOG Galaxy Library and is available for me to "download and install" it. Well, I didn't buy it. I did wanted the Box version but it wasn't released here, for the PC. (Only for consoloes... grrrr)... Niways, is that right? Was I given the GOTY Edition? Like, for FREE? =) My PC saves will work right? I'm all emotional with the deference but in fact, I'm not getting additional 33 GB of software. My Boxed TW3 DVD's version with my Season Pass, few mods and all patches are working fine. Still, one manly tear slipped down my face! Thanks CDPR and GOG! =))​

RageGT;n7151450 said:
Niways, is that right? Was I given the GOTY Edition? Like, for FREE? =) My PC saves will work right?
That's right! In recent news from our friends over at GOG:
Free when you own the base game and its two expansion packs!
You've asked and we listened: starting today [1st of December], courtesy of CD Projekt RED, everyone who owns The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and both its expansions on GOG.com will automatically get The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition added to their library. So, no need to keep casting Axii on us - the upgrade is here! And don't worry, the GOTY Edition will not replace the others but will be added as a separate product (this process might take up to a couple of days - please be patient).

Why are we doing this? Because we can (and because we are always thinking of ways to make your life a bit easier)! For those of you who use GOG Galaxy, your experience will be as simple as it was - you can install The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt with expansions and owned DLC with a single click and update it automatically. And if you don’t use GOG Galaxy yet, you will now have a choice between downloading the game and its expansions separately or as a single comprehensive package directly from the website.

If you've played the base game and are looking for a chance to expand on your The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt experience, then we have some awesome news for you as well! [...] Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine offer new epic adventures with additional locations to visit, characters to meet, and hard choices to tackle. And of course, the moment you purchase your missing expansion(s), the GOTY Edition will materialize in your library along with them!

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt along with Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine have already amassed more than 800 awards and have gained their rightful place among the most celebrated games of all time. Now it's time to give them a place in your library, in the form of the The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition! Note: Currently, there is no time limit to the free upgrade and it's available to all users. You will be notified by email when the GOTY Edition gets added to your account, but for those already eligible this process may take up to a couple of days so please be patient.

Rather nice of them!

And, to answer your last question, provided your saves are up-to-date with the 1.31 patch, they should work fine with the GOTY.

I have a question regarding the main menus. I bought the base game and the expansion pass on Xbox One and the main menu never changed from B&W after I had downloaded it. I sold that ssytem and bought a PS4 Pro with the complete edition of the game. Now the main menu seems to rotate randomly between the three versions. Does the GotY version do this as well? I will be finishing my PC build soon and want the version of the game that does this... I'd also like a physical copy with all of the extras included in the case/box.

Hart95;n8253680 said:
Now the main menu seems to rotate randomly between the three versions. Does the GotY version do this as well?
Yes, it does. As I understand it, this feature was added in the GOTY (Complete) Edition, based on players' requests for the option to switch between screens.

Riven-Twain;n8257880 said:
Yes, it does. As I understand it, this feature was added in the GOTY (Complete) Edition, based on players' requests for the option to switch between screens.
One small problem, I'd like the extras that come with the base game and to buy the expansions one by one for all of the extra stuff that comes in the physical copies (map, stickers, gwent cards, etc.).

Last edited:
Hart95;n8259020 said:
I'd like the extras that come with the base game and to buy the expansions one by one for all of the extra stuff that come in the physical copies (map, stickers, gwent cards, etc.).
I believe most of those items were in limited supply, so I'm not sure what you'll still be able to find. The Gwent Cards were definitely collector's items, and, as far as I know, are no longer officially available.

Top Bottom