x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

• Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Witcher 3 vs Dark Souls 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TouPoutsou
    The first Dark Souls is a masterpiece. No other way to look at it. Sure it had it's problems, and of course it was the worst PC port in the history of gaming, However the atmosphere, the level Design, the WORLD design, paired with the greatest melee combat system in an ARPG to date(surpassed only by the following titles in the series) made it a legendary game that changed gaming forever. And it definetely had a story. It was just that the story/lore was hidden in obsure NPC clues and item description. This new way of story telling was also very interesting at that point.

I feel the same way about The Witcher 2. In my opinion it is a legendary game. It had the greatest visuals/graphics than ANY RPG to date, amazing atmosphere, and a choice and consequence system that was so important that effectively completely changed over 1/3 of the entire game based on your choices, something that to my knowledge had not happened before. Pair that to one of the greatest main quests ever, a very complex political thriller with entirely grey choices, with nothing even remotely semembling a clear good or bad decisions, and you have the materpiece. ALso the combat, despite getting a ton of shit, it was definetely one of the greatest in any WESTERN Action RPG to date, and it was quite hardcore. For me The Witcher 2, in terms of world, quests, dialogues had zero weak spots. The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games ever created in any genre, but to me personally it will always be inferior to The Witcher 2, because it definetely has weak spots, even in the main quest(some might argue ESPECIALLY in the main quest), and i do not like very much some of it's more mainstream influences.

However, getting back to the original question, even though i think that Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 are also amazing games, they feel like the same game as the first one, with just improved aspects of the gameplay, and far worse Level/World design and atmosphere, while one cannot praise enough the amount of work that CDPR has put in their sequels. You can see how hard they worked and how many things they changed in their attempt to improve their games from one another(despite if some people including me might prefer an older entry), instead of playing it safe and building entirely upon the previous. In that regard The Witcher 3 to me is vastly superior to Dark Sous 3. The amount of work that has been put on it is not something to be taken lightly.

I conclusion, since you are comparing 2 of my favourite games(series actually) of all time, to me the original Dark Souls, the Witcher 2 and the Wtcher 3 are the best RPGs since Baldur's gate 2.
    Witcher games aren't even close to the best rpgs category especially with the weak bland limited gameplay they all suffer. There good games but very overrated imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Medhundy
      Witcher games aren't even close to the best rpgs category especially with the weak bland limited gameplay they all suffer. There good games but very overrated imo.
      I agree that from an RPG point of view the Witcher games are far from the best ones but from a general point of view TW3 is the best game ever made in my opinion. Although from an RPG point of view it's beyond impressive how believable the choices in TW3 are without Geralt feeling out of character.
      Last edited by HexerDa; 16-10-16, 16:35.

Comment

Originally posted by TouPoutsou
        The first Dark Souls is a masterpiece. No other way to look at it. Sure it had it's problems, and of course it was the worst PC port in the history of gaming, However the atmosphere, the level Design, the WORLD design, paired with the greatest melee combat system in an ARPG to date(surpassed only by the following titles in the series) made it a legendary game that changed gaming forever. And it definetely had a story. It was just that the story/lore was hidden in obsure NPC clues and item description. This new way of story telling was also very interesting at that point.

I feel the same way about The Witcher 2. In my opinion it is a legendary game. It had the greatest visuals/graphics than ANY RPG to date, amazing atmosphere, and a choice and consequence system that was so important that effectively completely changed over 1/3 of the entire game based on your choices, something that to my knowledge had not happened before. Pair that to one of the greatest main quests ever, a very complex political thriller with entirely grey choices, with nothing even remotely semembling a clear good or bad decisions, and you have the materpiece. ALso the combat, despite getting a ton of shit, it was definetely one of the greatest in any WESTERN Action RPG to date, and it was quite hardcore. For me The Witcher 2, in terms of world, quests, dialogues had zero weak spots. The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games ever created in any genre, but to me personally it will always be inferior to The Witcher 2, because it definetely has weak spots, even in the main quest(some might argue ESPECIALLY in the main quest), and i do not like very much some of it's more mainstream influences.

However, getting back to the original question, even though i think that Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 are also amazing games, they feel like the same game as the first one, with just improved aspects of the gameplay, and far worse Level/World design and atmosphere, while one cannot praise enough the amount of work that CDPR has put in their sequels. You can see how hard they worked and how many things they changed in their attempt to improve their games from one another(despite if some people including me might prefer an older entry), instead of playing it safe and building entirely upon the previous. In that regard The Witcher 3 to me is vastly superior to Dark Sous 3. The amount of work that has been put on it is not something to be taken lightly.

I conclusion, since you are comparing 2 of my favourite games(series actually) of all time, to me the original Dark Souls, the Witcher 2 and the Wtcher 3 are the best RPGs since Baldur's gate 2.
        DS has the greatest melee combat system in an ARPG, and has change gaming forever!?? What a joke!
        You must be young player?
        Check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egad_InYl6I

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient76
          DS has the greatest melee combat system in an ARPG, and has change gaming forever!?? What a joke!
          You must be young player?
          Check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egad_InYl6I
          Oh yea I've heard about this game. The combat for a 2001 game looks amazing and gore is great but this game was a cult classic not the genre defining hit that changed the industry like Demon Souls/Dark Souls 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Medhundy
            Oh yea I've heard about this game. The combat for a 2001 game looks amazing and gore is great but this game was a cult classic not the genre defining hit that changed the industry like Demon Souls/Dark Souls 1.
            Combat in BoD is beyond any ARPG. There is nothing even today that is close. I know this very well cause i have played this game many times with all 4 characters.
            DS is influenced by this game, but unfortunately not enough. BoD combat is way better.
            And since DS is influenced by BoD, your statement make no sense.

Comment

Dark Souls practically lifted BoD combat and you rarely hear anything about it. It was ahead of it's time. But control wise, and skills/special attacks wise, Dragon's Dogma is still the best imo. The spell effects in DD are beyond epic.

Comment

Originally posted by essenthy View Post
                you must have play tested W3, thats why the combat is so bad OP

W3 doesnt even come close to DS3 combat, the slow ass movement and unresponsiveness is crazy, when i die in DS3 i cant blame the game, my character is responsive enough to blame myself for my mistake, in W3 when i die .... wait, no i never die in W3, its too easy, even on hard ( wich consist of higher damage and more health for enemy ), i facerolled my way from start to finish spamming X, maybe one boss forced me to learn his pattern, thats it

also DS3 atmosphere/art direction is way more ballsy than the Disney B&W, The wild hunt had that, at least it tried in the early builds, but we know how the game ended up

its still a great a game
                W3 combat is some of the worst third person combat I've played. Comparing to the excellence that is the Souls series is ridiculous. Just watch Bloodborne boss battles and Witchers. Night and day in terms fluidity, control response, hit detection and AI difficulty.

Bloodborne - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnYw9Vs9V0Q

W3 - https://youtu.be/ewpPkXj0ymA

Western rpgs don't hold a candle to Japanese combat design.

- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137437
                Last edited by Sunsibar; 16-04-17, 14:30. Reason: Cleaned the language a bit... Please keep it civilized.

Comment

Originally posted by WesleyTomsky View Post
                  W3 combat is some of the worst third person combat I've played. Comparing to the excellence that is the Souls series is ridiculous. Just watch Bloodborne boss battles and Witchers. Night and day in terms fluidity, control response, hit detection and AI difficulty.
                  Bloodborne and Souls games are meant to have instant responsiveness to any input, which also makes the game look incredibly "unrealistic". There is no blending of animations, no weight to the movement.

Witcher on the other hand is more grounded in reality, while in no means "realistic". Each animation blends together with the last, you cant just instantly start running at full speed.

Both games i like, but the games are different, deal with it...

Comment

Dark Souls 3 is some empty and boring hack and slay without story and NPC`s, and one dies 59 times per minute even on Level 999.
                    And the stupid knight is out of stamina every second sword hack, the game mechanics are unbearable slow and annoying and undynamic.
                    I don´t care about games with THAT difficulty setting only appeasing masochists any longer, no matter how CREEPY and BLOODY they are - the overall gameplay and combat are so empty and so boring.......

Comment

Originally posted by Triss.Hasengold View Post
                      Dark Souls 3 is some empty and boring hack and slay without story and NPC`s, and one dies 59 times per minute even on Level 999.
                      And the stupid knight is out of stamina every second sword hack, the game mechanics are unbearable slow and annoying and undynamic.
                      I don´t care about games with THAT difficulty setting only appeasing masochists any longer, no matter how CREEPY and BLOODY they are - the overall gameplay and combat are so empty and so boring.......
                      lol, the story is actually very well thought out, more so than most other games.. and as for the gameplay being "hard" well.. its actually really not, Dark Souls 3 is the easiest Souls game and if you are having trouble with it then here is how you can beat the game:

Comment

Working...
                      X