The Witcher 3 for Linux

+
Maybe I am (though innactive at the moment) a GNOME Developer?

Good, so you are a Gnome developer who isn't even using Linux for the desktop. Sounds like creator of Gnome himself to me (Miguel de Icaza) who complained how Linux isn't good and admitted he himself doesn't use it for the desktop. I respect contribution to FOSS, but I don't find his rants reasonable. Anyway, I find KDE Plasma 5 to be way better than Gnome. Give it a try if you didn't yet.

Do you trully believe I don't know what is the status of the GNOME Desktop?

Linux desktop is not limited to Gnome. There are better options (see above).

My academical background is in Marketing Management. If you want to take down the industry leader and claiming success based on 'demonstrated by multiple people ditching Windows', I can only say one thing: The naivette is strong within you.

It seems, your management background fails you in this case, since it turns you into defeatist. Inaction is not the way to fix things, and you are proposing exactly that.

Do you really think that people who have been formated for years on the Windows paradigm will just change easilly?

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Majority of people don't care what's installed on their computer. They don't even know if it's Windows or not. They just want to perform some tasks using it. That's all. MS managed to manipulate manufacturers to preserve their desktop monopoly by requiring them to sell only computers with Windows (since only a small minority of users is going to install other operating systems). But if that could change, their monopoly would be seriously undermined. MS clearly admitted this fact in the past, so you don't need to go far for confirming this point.

Trust me, Linux hasn't reached the point where it's easy for everyone to use

I'm using Linux daily, and can see what it reached first hand. I personally installed it for various non technical people who perfectly use it for their desktop needs and prefer it to Windows. You on the other hand aren't even using Linux for the desktop yourself. So do you base your opinion on 15 year old issues you encountered?

pple currently has the best filesystem orientes for Desktop, it's called Apple File System

Their current filesystem is pretty bad which Apple themselves admitted. They even started making a new one recently to replace it, to catch up to all the innovation accumulated in ZFS and BTRFS which are years ahead of anything Apple made. Of course Apple had to reinvent the wheel, since NIH syndrome is in their blood already. So that's expected.

I don't follow KDE but within GNOME

I highly recommend you to look into KDE. It's literally the best DE there is now for Linux.

But you are aware that wayland only works with open source drivers...

Not a problem in practice, since AMD hardware is getting pretty good full OpenGL 4.5 Mesa support this year. Nvidia is kind of trying to sort it out for their closed driver, and they had extensive discussions on this year XDC. Not sure if you followed them. Here is a post which discusses some of it and has relevant links (in comments): https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2016/09/to-eglstream-or-not/

Mate you are talking to someone that played a lot on Linux, at least since the early 2000's. Thats something like in the last 15 years.

Then take a look at Linux gaming today. It's way better than even in the Loki days. There is real gaming renaissance on Linux now. So give it a try.

You are 100% wtrong.

No, I'm not. And I can tell you from the first hand experience. Take some relatively old laptop, and try installing new Windows on it. Hehe, good luck to make it work and not hitting massive amount of missing drivers. With Linux on the other hand they would just work. That happened to me multiple times when I helped people with their old computers. So I'll stand by what I said. Windows support for hardware is abysmal, because they expect you to change it for each new version of Windows.

That was an example. Do you know from a developer point of view what 'cherry picking' is? Nice cherry picking.

Yep, so nice that GOG has a good business fixing such issues for old games. I guess cherry picking gives them a decent harvest ;D

---------- Updated at 10:03 AM ----------

@nmarques Nope, he didn't played it yet if I got that right from all the conversation (which I recognized^^) on the forum

No, I haven't played TW3 yet, since it's not playable on Linux. There is no promised native version which CDPR failed to make, and Wine is still catching up with DX11 support. Not sure if CDPR will ever deliver on their promise (I pretty much lost confidence in them), but Wine will surely eventually reach a good level of usability for TW3, as Wine developers themselves said.

Last edited:
This was one heavy teasing glitch. Or was it a leak? Some noticed this on GOG promo status page:

Tested TW3 (v 1.10 which isn't yet affected by need for huge virtual heap) with Wine staging 1.9.23. Practically no visible progress. Even patches posted above didn't make it in. Until next time.

Sunsibar, Riven-Twain: can you please rename this thread to "The Witcher 3 for Linux?". The original title was made in the times when OS X was a possible target, but by now it's not even a remote option (because of stalled OpenGL and no Vulkan support). And the thread is focused on Linux anyway. And there is a separate thread for Cyberpunk 2077, since situation with it is different because it uses a different engine already. Thanks!

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n7004540 said:
Sunsibar, Riven-Twain: can you please rename this thread to "The Witcher 3 for Linux?". The original title was made in the times when OS X was a possible target, but by now it's not even a remote option (because of stalled OpenGL and no Vulkan support). And the thread is focused on Linux anyway. And there is a separate thread for Cyberpunk 2077, since situation with it is different because it uses a different engine already. Thanks!

Done.

Relevant update from the Wine project: https://www.winehq.org//wwn/403#WineConf 2016 Summary

Józef is working on DirectX 11: A lot of work got upstreamed in the past months, but there are still many missing features. Compute shaders are missing, as are many view types. It also needs Matteo’s GL core context work on many drivers, which depends on the blitter rework Stefan was working on before he left. However, some games start showing signs of life. During the conference Andrew Wesie sent a set of patches to make Blizzard’s Overwatch run. In a way it also depends on the command stream, which would be very helpful to have tfor deferred contexts. [Editor’s note: Józef’s statement was deciphered from a really quiet recording with lots of background noise. It may be inaccurate in some parts.]

Henri is working on upstreaming the multithreaded command stream (Currently it’s in staging, but not the master branch). He wasn’t at WineConf, so we couldn’t really come to a conclusion when that work will be finished. It depends on Henri’s other tasks, CodeWeavers keeps dropping work at him that needs to be finished yesterday. Henri has made progress in the past months, merging the patches that unify 2D, Cube and Volume textures into one texture resource, but merging textures and buffers into one common resource is missing, and the blitter support in the current command stream code is a mess. The ETA depends on where Henri wants to go exactly.

CDPR: It's been a long time since you were "looking into" and "exploring" Linux release of the Witcher 3. Surely in such a long time you could come up with some practical solution?

Meanwhile some progress in Wine (for the reference, I don't get that, it hangs for me after the rotating snake):

May be you can sponsor Wine development to implement missing DX11 features? It would be something, and still better than failed promises.

Hello,

I bought the witcher bundle just before christmas, because I read about a Linux-Version some time ago.
Looking for a release date of the LinuxVersion I found this thread.

Did I get screwed?

Best regards

Last edited:
Proton23;n7408180 said:
Looking for a release date of the Linux version I found this thread.
Did I get screwed?

CDPR abandoned Linux development of the Witcher 3 without much of an explanation about what happened and whether they'll resume it in the future. So, your only option seems to be waiting for Wine to support DX11 better.

Thank you for your answer.
I just started playing The Witcher 1, so there is still some time left, but if I have to play The Witcher 3 with WINE this will be the last time I bought something from CDPR for sure.

Best regards

Wine staging has fixed the 32GB limit for the virtual heap. Now TW3 should start in Wine staging without crashing. It's still unplayable though, since DX11 support still has quite some way to go.

The game now starts with Wine staging (2.0rc5), since the virtual heap limit issue was fixed there. Just tested it with version 1.31. The starting screen looks like this:

Not sure yet if it's a Mesa bug, or a general Wine issue.

OK, the issue was with CSMT. Without CSMT, the main menu looks like this (which is better, just text is distorted):

Of course the rest of the game is still unplayable, but at least it doesn't hang and now you can get up until intro sequence, which looks something like this:

Until next Wine.

Wine-staging 2.0. Not much of a difference, but this time I tried walking around a bit after skipping the broken intro to avoid audio spoilers.

Looks like this:

Top Bottom