The Witcher 3 for Linux

+
sv3672;n8503220 said:
In the end, it usually boils down to "the market is not large enough to make it worth it for us".

It's an excuse, but not the real reason, or at least not the rational reason those publishers really have any basis for. Linux market is growing, otherwise companies like Feral who do several big Linux ports a year wouldn't have found any clients to begin with. Apparently CDPR considered Linux market big enough for TW2, so if market size was some concern, it should be even less of a problem now (it only grew since then).

This gives me an impression, it's not about market. But as you said, we can only speculate, because CDPR simply don't care to explain what's going on. And that is why I view them as legacy publisher inclined in this aspect. Other developers don't need to hide the fact that they evaluate market as too small, or they have some problems they can't resolve and etc. Being honest with the community is the attribute of non backwards thinking studios.

Last edited:
Wine 2.8 with a couple of patches:

Looks incredible. Great job done by people, not from CDPR.
Though I hope they'll rethink a work with someone, maybe FERAL and bring it natively to Linux/MAC.

iRevolt;n8921200 said:
Looks incredible. Great job done by people, not from CDPR.
Though I hope they'll rethink a work with someone, maybe FERAL and bring it natively to Linux/MAC.

Yep, Wine developers are doing an incredible job, which should have been done by CDPR themselves.

Regarding Feral, I asked them several times (and many others too), about if they would be interested in porting TW3 to Linux. It should fit their operational model, since normally Feral propose a port to some company, bear all expenses, and then share profits. But Feral avoid commenting on this, and CDPR are silent lately to begin with about everything, let alone about anything Linux related.

According to former Virtual Programming developer, something went sour in CDPR, and despite the initial effort to make TW3 Linux port, they cancelled it. No idea how valid his claims are.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n8921260 said:
Yep, Wine developers are doing an incredible job, which should have been done by CDPR themselves.

Regarding Feral, I asked them several times (and many others too), about if they would be interested in porting TW3 to Linux. It should fit their operational model, since normally Feral propose a port to some company, bear all expenses, and then share profits. But Feral avoid commenting on this, and CDPR are silent lately to begin with about everything, let alone about anything Linux related.

That's even more strange that none of companies wants to talk about Linux version anymore. I'm stuck with a Win machine to play W3 for now, and other titles as well. But looking at this thread, I'll get soon back to Linux machine and play it using Wine.
Thanks for info. :)

Garrison72;n9010280 said:
How's the playthrough going Gilrond-i-Virdan ? Has the port been stable?

It was pretty good in White Orchard and Vizima palace (I think I finished all side quests there so far), but when I got to Velen area, there was some lighting issue what made the ground look almost black. I guess it's not supposed to be that way? See below. So I decided to pause and wait until Wine developers will get to fixing it, since it's somewhat annoying visually.

Garrison72;n9010850 said:
Yeah that doesn't look right at all. You've only finished the prologue basically so it's worth waiting till they get it right.

In areas where it works, I just tested thread dispatch in Mesa, and it produces 40-50 fps with RX 480.

Last edited:

Guest 4074840

It's starting to look good in WINE. I'm probably not gonna be able to play it in WINE until I get a better rig though. My PC wouldn't be able to handle it.

Marcin_Momot : please take note of this article: The Witcher 3 didn't come to Linux likely as a result of the user-backlash from The Witcher 2.

I think the timing isn't even correct. TW2 for Linux came out in May 2014. Then CDPR indicated that TW3 for Linux is in the works (that was throughout 2014-2015). Only in 2016 you started hitting some snags and things fell apart. So it can't be that some outrage in 2014 affected problems that happened between 2015 - 2016.

That's just my view on it, but if you can officially refute it, it would be very helpful :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom