PS4 - Geralt's movements compared to Aloy in Horizon: Zero Dawn

+
PS4 - Geralt's movements compared to Aloy in Horizon: Zero Dawn

Trying to play The Witcher 3, after playing Horizon: Zero Dawn.. something doesn't feel right.
With Geralt there are only two paces of speed, walk or run as if I would play on a keyboard, not a controller.
While with Aloy in Horizon, she moves with how much you press the joystick.
So the movements feel a lot smoother and easier to use, while it feel more like a struggle with how I move Geralt.
Is this something the developers are aware of? Because it's a real shame it is this way :\

iCake

Forum veteran
Nattdyr;n8158180 said:
While with Aloy in Horizon, she moves with how much you press the joystick.

It was the same with Geralt untill after some patch along the way rooted out this functionality. PC players can "correct" this with a simple tweak in config files. Consolers are stuck with what we got, it was a conscious choice, presumably to appease those multiple whiners who cried about having difficulties to control Geralt movements.

iCake

Forum veteran
That I've no idea about. The bottom line is this, there'll be no "fix" to this.

In terms of running I see difference only in button on which sprint is activated. Aloy still have 2 speeds - run and sprint, maybe overall controls in Horizon are more smooth but I won't say that sprinting is any joy, it's quite irritating to constantly hold and press stick, spamming of "x" for Geralt is more comfortable (for me). Also there is option for "movement response" in TW3 - try both variants may be some of them will be better for you.

I can't walk slowly as Geralt. If I want to move around in a small place, it's instant march - stop - march- stop.
No flow from standing still to walking. It is pity that no developer look at it. Maybe not much more to say, just wanted to hear.

iCake

Forum veteran
Nattdyr;n8159660 said:
It is pity that no developer look at it

As I said, the developers did look at it and decided to remove full analog stick movement control. If you want details or sort of confirmation to my words, then refer to this thread

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...w-walk-is-gone

Post #565 (last page) in that tread is particularly interesting as it contains a quote from CDRP representative who stated that this removal was by design.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
Nattdyr;n8259240 said:
Is there a way to play Witcher 3 (any patch before 1.06) on PS4?

Why? No, there isn't. Besides, the 2 wonderful expansions, that are arguably a big step up compared to the base game that's already of finest quality, will not work on 1.06. That'd be way more of a miss then some slow walk.

Last edited:
Yea the movement in this game was soo clunky and bad. I was utterly baffled how bad this game controlled especially after coming from Bloodborne back in 2015 at launch. Controls this bad are unacceptable.

WesleyTomsky;n8383630 said:
Yea the movement in this game was soo clunky and bad. I was utterly baffled how bad this game controlled especially after coming from Bloodborne back in 2015 at launch. Controls this bad are unacceptable.

Oh, Praise. Give it up. Also, Dark Souls is so much worse.

Prepare for bounce. Again.

I wish I could move Geralt like Playstation Access did before developers messed it up:

I seriously hate how they removed it and added two speeds only. Go fast, or run.
I'm just sad to think they will never fix this and I will never complete the game because of that.
Was used to moving Geralt like in Assassin's Creed or even the Lego Worlds you can change pace by pushing gently, then they just remove it completely. >_< :(

& WORST PART.. when riding your horse, the movement is like in Horizon Zero Dawn, or like Geralt movements was before patch 1.05!
Big smack in the face, hey, this is how Geralt moved and could had, but we took away -

To make him less life like.. more Terminator? :| SIGH! Sorry the rabble, its frustrating that the moving function (joystick) is still working on the horse, but not on foot.

Last edited:
This really doesn't bother me at all and it certainly doesn't damage the experience in any way at all. It makes sense from a development standpoint when you consider that you can play this game on PC with a keyboard and mouse. Horizon Zero Dawn was developed for a controller, and a very specific controller at that.

I believe the idea here was momentum based animation. We got the additional animation set we can toggle which makes geralt move a bit more "gamey".

Top Bottom