Damage Calculation

+
Damage Calculation

Dear Witchers,

currently I'm working on a spread sheet for a more objective item comparsion in terms of damage optimization. I really love to play around with equations, EP values and get lost in theorycrafting. I'm only experienced with combat and alchemy, so don't expect information about signs. If you stack attack power (AP), critical hit chance (CC) and critical damage (CD) this thread is perfect for some background information.

First of all it's necessary to understand the basic damage calculation. Due some reverse engineering of ninjasam in his post [1] he was able to set up the hit damage (HD) formula. This one is also displayed in the character sheet (not DPS). I don't get the math behind the displayed DPS. But it isn't necessary at all. There is enough data avaible with hit damage, critical hit chance and critical damage. Feel free to add your suggestions for the real DPS calculation.

And here is... the hit damage
HD = [BD + mWD * (1 + AP)] * AttackTypeFactor

This one isn't really complex and easy to verify. The base damage (BD) depends and raise with your level. Don't expect a huge impact. If you want to determine your base damage, unequip Geralt and remove all his abilitys. The indicated (fast attack) hit damage minus mWD is BD (eg. 77 for level 74).

The average weapon damage (mWD) is defined by
mWD = (maxWeaponDMG - minWeaponDMG) / 2

The AttackTypeFactor for fast attacks is 1 and for strong attacks 11/6 or 1,83.

The next step is to determine the (fast attack) critical hit damage (CHD) as indicated on the character sheet. It seems that the effect of CD and/or AP decrease when AP and CD will be stacked. Apparently the developers wanted to stop an exponential damage explosion. I'm pretty sure that only mWD receive the critical damage bonus. So no bonus for our poor BD.
CHD = BD + mWD * (1 + AP) * (1 + BCD + CD) * CRF

The function for the critical reduction factor (CRF) behaves similar to a curve
CRF = 1 / (1 + AP * CD * x)
or
CRF = e [SUP]- x * AP * CD[/SUP]

It will take some time to get the right function. I hope x just a constant factor... The good news: I know the base bonus for the critical damage -> 25 %.

View attachment 50621

After many trials, here are some results about the AP and CD interaction:

• if AP = const. -> CHD increases linearly with CD
  • if CD = const. -> CHD increases linearly with AP
View attachment 50611

Another observation note at the end:
If you use the skill Synergy there is some flat AP reduction if you reach certain caps

• 85 % AP -> calculate with 80 %
  • 130 % AP -> calculate with 120 %
  • 465 % AP -> calculate with 445 %

ToDo

• calculate and verify CRF
  • adept formulas for strong attack
  • language optimization

Attachments

• Bild1.png
    Bild1.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Bild2.png
    Bild2.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:
Thank you for your hard work!

My two cents on the DPS value on the left of the stat screen: an average of the normal and critical damage of both strong and fast attacks with the respective sword. I just summed all 4 of the values on the right side of the screen and divided by 4 and it spits out the DPS number on the left precisely. It did the last time I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how damage worked in this game anyway.

I have been dancing around this for months trying to reverse engineer how damage is coded. I had the right ideas, and I knew all of the variables, but I couldn't get an equation that would match the numbers I see in the stat screen and the game screen when in a fight. I have paraphrased this information you graciously shared with us in another post I made today concerning the Forktail decoction. These equations get within about 20 of the actual stat screen value, and is the best estimation I have found considering the normal distribution of sword damage values and other variables like enemy resistance, adrenaline bonus, etc. As far as I'm concerned, everyone that plays should know this in order to make better decisions about how to spec Geralt and what they want to focus on. I too like theorycrafting and using functions to model damage.

I did not know how Attack Power was handled, and that was my hitch. So many things augment Attack Power in the game, and I couldn't precisely put my finger on how it was factoring in, except that it was changing numbers that I saw in the attack screen.

I am particularly interested in using only alchemy to augment Geralt's abilities, and have put all skill points (except for two in tier 1 Yrden, I can't help it) in the alchemy tree in my recent playthrough from scratch. 3 decoctions (Wyvern, Succubus and Forktail) specifically boost Attack Power in some way, (and of course Thunderbolt potion) and the Water Hag decoction addresses "damage" specifically. From what I can tell, these equations hit very close to the mark as I scrutinize them by constantly checking the stat screen when I have met criteria for the bonuses. The vagueness of the Water Hag decoction's description is a bit of a struggle, but i think that at full health, both base damage and mean sword damage have a scalar of 1.5 in front of them when Geralt hits.

Thank you again, I look forward to more nerdy number crunching in the future

The average damage is
mWD = (maxWeaponDMG + minWeaponDMG) / 2

The critical damage is calculated like this:
CHD = BD + mWD * (1 + AP + BCD + CD)
with
BCD = 25%
BD = 0 at lv1 and 77 at lv100 (the gains are not linear and they decrease with the level)

Hi, since im new on the forum, cant post new Thread.
However i was looking for this kind of information.

I noticed there is some bugs on displaying info about bonuses and damage.
For example Cat School Techniques Skill, wich increases 5% damage per light piece of armor. It resulted to be 2.5%
With Basic Cat Equipment, also each piece description says 5% increase, while truly results to be 2.5% again.
On character Info Display, you can prove this.

However testing this on Battle its Difficult because of RNG, but i have the feeling that its 2.5% real.

Well, I must Edit this, Finally discovered that Bonuses only aplies to the Average Damage of weapon, so the global incement result less than expected.

Last edited:
Top Bottom