[Mod Request] Relic weapon rebalancing/un-leveling

+
[Mod Request] Relic weapon rebalancing/un-leveling

One of my biggest gripes with The Witcher 3 is the random loot scaling for swords and the naming scheme for them. Apart from relic swords having a maximum level, they also randomly spawn throughout the map at lower levels right alongside the master and magic items. Because there is no intuitive way to tell how strong an item is from its name/status (like Iron->Steel->Silver->Elven->Ebony->Daedric works in TES) and there is no UI indicator of the sword level in the loot menu, it makes looting not just a major chore and hassle but also something that's arguably offensive in how poorly it's designed.

My idea for how to fix this with as minimal tweaking as possible would be to make it more like The Witcher 2; when you reach new areas or levels, you can put in the work to craft or earn a high powered sword or get one from doing quests, but from normal playing you'll just slowly get better gear from fighting harder enemies and performing level appropriate quests. I think that the random leveling of gear would be fine for common, master, and magic items so long as all relic weapons were always at their max level and hand-placed in the world or available as quest rewards.

In the end, I think these would need to be the changes made:
>set chance of random spawning of relic items to 0
>statically level specific quest reward swords (the reward from Skellige, the Blade from the Bits from the Hatori blacksmith quest, final sword from Hearts of Stone, Aerondight, etc.) so that they all can be appropriately strong for their quest level
>hand-place a single instance of each relic sword across the map in interesting places with appropriately leveled enemies
>remove item level equip restriction (so you can wield more powerful swords if you defeat strong enemies/finish high level quests) but keep crafting restriction (so you can't just buy end game gear from saving up)

Apart from the hand-placing of relic items, this seems to be not much more than just editing lists with notepad++, and even then I'm guessing that wouldn't be too difficult, just time consuming.

Can anybody point me to the right area of documentation which would show me how to do these things? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried out Ghost Mode?
That makes a number of tweaks to weapon placement and relic weapon balancing and whatnot. Might be what you're looking for.

No, Ghost Mode doesn't change the loot system the way I want to. It still handles Relic items on a randomly spawning basis and just makes it to that they're leveled stronger. I want the Relic items as they exist when crafted to be placed in the world so that they're unique, and that they're placed with appropriately statically leveled enemies and quest locations or are appropriately leveled quest rewards

also, that Ghost Mode mod makes a million other changes I have no interest in. This minor modification in availability of Relic items would completely change the gameplay philosophy of looting and leveling up gear to more mirror the availability of strong weapons in The Witcher 2. I don't care about making them stronger or more distinct than randomly leveled loot; for instance, if I'm level 20 and clear out a bandit camp of level 10 bandits, I want a level 10 relic sword to be in a chest there

Yeah that's fair.
Hmm, since the game is set up with this randomisation system in place I'm not sure if what you want to do is really possible.

I am no expert however, so hopefully someone with more knowledge/experience can help you out!

My understanding of what can be modified in terms of the loot spawning comes from this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/799/?
which is able to change what level loot scales at (based on item class) and on rarity of loot spawning (reducing the chance of junk from spawning at all). So to me it seems you could at the very least reduce the chance of Relic items from spawning to zero.

As I look up information on the stats of Relic swords, I have seen that many of them even have static spawning locations. My only gripe with them then is I believe that they'll still be scaled to your level rather than at their base static crafting level.

Does anybody have a comprehensive list of all Relic swords in the game with their level and/or set location? I'm really adamant on figuring out how to achieve some semblance of rebalancing with a new mod. I don't think I can play the game again without it.

Wow, this would be a big mod, and I would definitely get down with it. It has been a bummer to keep happening upon all these swords that are neat and tantalizing to play with, but they're just super useless and always appear under disappointing circumstances. Maybe if you look through the scripts for the treasure hunts you can place the swords on the bodies where you find the keys and notes and whatnot? Or in the final chests for each hunt?

marzipanstan as I look more and more into it it would not require so much hand placed effort... in fact every Relic blade in the game already has a static location where it spawns with full specs and/or it has the crafting diagram

All I want then in a mod is to remove Relic weapons from the random loot chance and to remove item equip level, while still maintaining item crafting leveled restrictions. I wonder if that is possible...

Top Bottom