Project Toussaint

+
Project Toussaint

Alright my mod is finally out. A lot has changed since i postet the first results on this forum. If this is considered as an double post please delete this thread Moderators!
This is copied from the Nexus Page http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2385/?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Project Toussaint 1.0
This mod is not finished and more features will be added in the future!

Release Trailer:
Dawn to noon:
Nights:

This mod edits the lighting in Toussaint and is aimed to create a more natural look.
It started by just removing the yellow tint and I ended up creating a fully fleshed out day&night circle.

Since this is huge change to the lighting there are some flaws and there will be some bugs!
Still, I tried to polish the mod as good as I can and all in all in runs pretty good.
But if you see anything looking buggy or shit please comment and tell me where,when and what!
This helps me fixing stuff and pushing new updates!

Current Changes:
Atm I don't feel like writing a List of all changes because there are a ton of things that were changed.
In short i redid nearly everything for every time of day. Just judge for yourself if its looking good or watch the Videos above.
I will add a better description in the next days...

To-Do: (to be Updated)
-more bugfixing and balancing (this is the most important thing)
-adding and editing fx like lightshafts, lensflares etc.
-polishing and balancing clouds for Dawn and Sunset
-more balancing the Interiors
-more balancing the water
-adding custom cave/catacombs lighting
-adding custom foggy weather lighting
-adding custom rainy weather lighting

-adding custom quest related lighting

Credits:
-CD Project Red for making this incredibly good game and publishing DLC's which EA could sell as a fullprice Game lol!
-All hail to the godfather of lighting mods Essenthy for helping me and always answering my questions even when they were dumb af
-And thanks to LukeSparow who tested my mod everytime i changed something and provided top notch feedback, without him this mod wouldn't be nearly as polished as it is now!

Last edited:
I really love your mod so far. It is a must have. But one thing is bothering me: The flames/glow of fire seems to be too red imo. Everything else seems fine so far ^^

It changes with different time of day doesn't it? Vanilla Toussaint also had a lot of reds in fire-sources. Kinda liked that actually.

Next Version has some changes to all kinds of fx. Fire light amongst other things too. Should be ready this evening :)

NICE! Honestly, I played like 5 minutes and thought I don't like it that much. But then I reinstalled it and now it is a must have. In some occasions the game appears almost photorealistic. In getting close to photorealism lighting is the most important thing and you did a great job here. Really can't play without it. :) I'm looking forward for the next improvements ;) Keep it up

Hey @K4rx20 I just wanted to say thanks for the work you've been putting into different mods all over the place especially ones that aren't technically yours, your insight and ambition definitely adds to the progress made by the community as a whole.

As for this lighting mod, I've been following your trailers for it since the beginning and actually put off replaying BAW until you released it and It's pretty damn great. Very much worth the wait and one of those mods you just can't go back to playing without so thanks for that too lol.

If I had to give some purely subjective feedback on what i think would make it better:

1) Some of the whites and brighter colors can appear slightly blown out from 8am-4pm as though its clipping all colors above a threshold that is set too low (simple reshade/sweetfx edits rectify that so if changing it messes with any of your other env's forget about it)

2) Sunrise/set's can be way too dark and are exponentially darker than full nighttime. (I think nighttime darkness is pretty much perfect)

3) Reducing as much as possible the Artificial Character Illumination would dramatically improve immersion by making Geralt and NPC's look as though they are actually part of the world and not like they're under a spotlight...
this is most exaggerated during cut-scenes at night or in darkened interiors and caves...
I personally think this is the biggest change you could currently make in allowing players to truly appreciate how well done all the other aspects of your lighting mod really are.

Also i agree with LukeSparow, I think the fire is exceptionally well done. That along with your implementation of bloom stood out to me as uniquely beautiful.

Last edited:
MrMoonshoes
Awesome feedback! On your comment about Character Lighting though, it was a very intentional choice to make it work the way it does.
After running some tests I figured out that certain areas were literally pitch-black, which ruined gameplay and dialogue. Toussaint doesn't have any indoor ENV's it seems so instead or ruining nights by making them brighter K4rx20 decided to implement a very sublte version of Character Lighting.

I take it you find it really noticeable though? I personally find it hard to notice it outside of interiors at night.

MrMoonshoes First thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate that! Tbh your guys feedback is whats keep pushing me to work harder and im really dedicated to create a nearly flawless experience in all situation. I will try to explain how i'm going to approach your mentioned problems.

1. Thats a problem im aware of. I tried to create a blindingly bright feeling and probably pushed it too hard. I will try to balance it in coming updates.

2. Tbh another Problem im aware of but i've not figured out how to solve it yet. There is a small time span between day and night where neither the sun nor the moon is treated as a lightsource. That results in a very dark lighting. In vanilla this is compensated by an overall bright sky. Sadly the new Lighting doesn't fit at all to this sky so i have to find another solution. Well.. while i was writing this i had an idea what i could possibly do.. I will have to try it out.

3. As LukeSparow said, i originally removed the artificial character backlight. Sadly a problem popped up i haven't expected: the interior settings are not accessible for some reason. B&W Lighting works pretty different in some occasion than in the base game. The base game has separate .env files for interiors while in B&W the curve values are integrated into the base file. Sarcens mod editor doesn't know how to deal with this so i can't change interior lighting. The problem was that interiors became pitch black at night because the nights are way darker than vanilla so I had to deal with this. Making the nights brighter again was too painful so i activated the backlight again and made it super low so its not noticable while multiplying the interior scaling.
One thing i surely have to do is balancing the backlight to make it feel more natural in interiors and cutscenes. Completely removing it is not possible without changing alot of other stuff too. Sorry!
I noticed that the backlight in caves and catacombs is extremely exaggerated and thats probably the way you noticed the backlight. Thats caused by the simple fact that caves and catacombs are not edited yet :D My first goal was to polish the simple sunny lighting since you spend 90% or your time in toussaint in this environment. Now that this is mostly done i will focus on other environments like caves, foggy weather, rainy weather and some place specific envs. This envs are layered above the sunny lighting, means, they are replacing some values. This causes the backlight back to vanilla state since most of them are still vanilla.

I hope you guys are comfortable with downloading another update this evening which should lessen the backlight in all occasions. This is not the final state but it should fix some ugly lighting for now.
The reason why im pushing so many updates directly after release is: im on vacation for some days from tomorrow on so i can't work on the mod and can't fix crucial stuff that people may notice. I want push the mod to an balanced state so people can safely play without running into ugly stuff all the time.
I'm aware the new updates are only rough and not polished at all but i can ensure you guys i will instantly continue the work once im home again and smoothen everything before adding new stuff!

Cheers! and sorry for writing a book lol

Hey I just realised something, a long whole back CertainlyStenchy actually released this:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1864/?

Seems like there is a way to specifically edit indoor lighting! To be honest even if that was the case I think I'd still prefer your backlight tweak. The way you subtly implemented it I think makes for a more natural experience than just straight up brightening the interiors.

Have a great holiday dude!

hmm it edits the bob.w2w file..haven't even thought of it... i definitely have to investigate this! Thanks man thats really good to know!

K4rx20 wow your lighting mod is truly a peace of art ;) i love how good it looks at night on geralt skin and npc really brings out the beauty. also between 4am-5am there is this pink strong lighting as you can see on the picture. cant wait for you to edit caves and catacombs. http://imgur.com/gallery/s8xY4

Last edited:
K4rx20 if it affects full day and night cycle dont bother, but if you can weaken it just a bit around 4-5am that would be great. i do like the pink lighting but at the moment around 4-5am it is just a bit to strong :)

Oh, well I think it looks extremely gorgeous. Goves the feeling of a really nice, soft sunrise where the air is still quite cool but you can start to feel the air warm up. Really beautiful in my book.

Top Bottom