[Mod Request] Better Trees

+
If the tree-textures you are trying to edit are .dds-files, make sure to put the modded textures into the "uncooked" folder of your mod instead of the "modded" folder. At least it works for grass-textures that way.

Yeah, these are indeed .dds-files. But how do I get the modded files in a packed folder when they are not in the modded-folder? and do you know if I can increase the filesize for higher resolution without problems?

GregorWladacz;n8449930 said:
Yeah, these are indeed .dds-files. But how do I get the modded files in a packed folder when they are not in the modded-folder? and do you know if I can increase the filesize for higher resolution without problems?

You put the modded files in the Modded folder and cook the mod, once that is done the mod will be packed (W3Oven and ModKitchen does this automatically), I'd suggest not using .dds because I've had problems cooking it in the past.

Some textures are not packed in the normal way and go into the Uncooked folder. If it wasn't uncooked via wcc_lite it probably goes there.

But nearly all textures, especially the ones for the oaks, are .dds-files. I found one tga-file and tried to modify this, but after I cooked and packed it (and placed in the mods folder) it didn't appear ingame :/

IchWillDeinRegal If I mod .dds-files, can I just rename the modded folder to uncooked? So that I have a raw and an uncooked folder? How do I pack this in mod with modkitchen? It searches for a modded folder, doesn't it?

And is there a way to mod the normal maps? Because photshop seems to export it weird, and direct x sdk isn't working for me because I use win 10

Last edited:
I just saw that the modded .dds-file is in the folder uncooked as a xbm-file. How can i get this to a working mod? If I try to cook it with modkitchen oder another modding tool, is get a modfolder, but without any content. It is just frustrating...:sad:

GregorWladacz;n8451500 said:
I just saw that the modded .dds-file is in the folder uncooked as a xbm-file. How can i get this to a working mod? If I try to cook it with modkitchen oder another modding tool, is get a modfolder, but without any content. It is just frustrating...:sad:

Your modded textures goes like this

Modded -> Uncooked -> Cooked -> Packed

They "travel" like this you begin building a mod, don't copy one over to the other folder.

Your modded raw texture goes into the Modded folder.

Create a mod folder, name it like "treetexture" or something, inside it should have a Modded folder and in it the path of the edited texture and the texture at the end. Once you start the mod building process, it will become an Uncooked asset, then Cooked and then Packed.

ScoutBr0 Yeah, thats actually how I did it, but it doesn't work. I made a raw folder with a path to the file. I edited the texture (.dds), placed with the path in the modded folder. Then I started the process using modkitchen. In the end i got an uncooked, cooked and packed folder. the .dds-file is now a xbm-file in uncooked. It has the same size. in packed, there is nothing in the content file, or if there is, its just some kb, not like 4-6mb like in the modded oder uncooked folder. even if I use the packed mod, it doesn't show up ingame. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
What's the tree texture path? Does it get uncooked by wcc_lite?

Also try using .tga or .png, I personally do have a good experience using .dds file type when making mods.

Let's see: C:\uncooked\environment\vegetation\trees\quercus_deform
I think, quercus deform is for the big oaks, but I'm not a 100% sure. Like I said, if I uncook the game with wcc_lite, I get .dds-files for the textures I want to edit.

I just thought: I'll try to open the .dds-files in Photoshop and save them as .tga. Then edit and save them as tga and convert them in a mod.....

Edit: Nope, doesn't work. When I cook the mod with Modkitchen, the filesize decreases from 9mb to 900kb. I think, there is something wrong.

Edit 2: Found out, how to do it. Changed textures (diffuse and normal map) and upload it on nexus.

Last edited:
I think it's far more important to edit the textures of leaves and grass. They're too low res and it's mostly what you see when you're out in the world. It wouldn't have been a problem if translucency was still a thing. But CDPR removed that without increasing the quality of those textures. The result is low quality texture on what is essentially a pretty huge chunk of the world.

Top Bottom