Hires Shadows on Geralt

+
Hires Shadows on Geralt

Is there any way to add the Hires Shadows on the Geralt character ?
The "Lip Movement and HiRes Shadows on NPCs" mod works great. I can see better shadows on NPC`s, even on Ciri, but not on Geralt (except cutscenes of course).

Guest 2364765

I believe it does work on geralt but the caveat of method we used with rmemr is that it'll get disabled for all actors that took part in any dialogue or cutscene after it ends, thus every time you talk to NPC it will disable the shadows for geralt.

There's no _real_ way to re-enable them without respawning player entity.

They can work with both rmemr's and skacik's mods. The difference is that by default, when the mimcs are enabled in rmemr's mod, hi-res shadows on Geralt never turn on. They work when you disable mimics by yourself in script file of the mod. In Ansel Utilities the shadows on Geralt works fine, but mimics aren't enabled. Although hi-res shadows work only till first dialogue or cutscene, as skacik mentioned.

I tried hard to get both hi-res shadows on Geralt and mimics for NPCs, but it seems that's a trade. And because shadows get off after the dialgoue, I chose mimics. But I don't know how the situation looks without mod HQ Faces, because that's the mod which disables vanilla mimics for NPCs and we need rmemr's mod to bring it back. Maybe without it one can have both mimics and Geralt's hi-res shadows.

Guest 2364765

Geralt by default is the only actor that actually has mimics enabled without any mods, not sure what you're talking about.

skacikpl;n8549240 said:
Geralt by default is the only actor that actually has mimics enabled without any mods, not sure what you're talking about.

When the mimics for all NPCs are enabled, Geralt has no hi-res shadows. Your Ansel Utilities as I remember don't enable mimics for all NPCs, and in that case Geralt's hires shadows work. I don't know how this is technically connected, but it is how it is. After I got Ansel Utilities working with your big help, I got beautiful shadows on Geralt (till the dialogue), then tried to get both shadows and mimics, and I failed.

Guest 2364765

Geralt is not an NPC but i instance the high res shadows and mimics from actor class which geralt and ciri inherit from.
If you're using ansel utilities, both mimics and shadows are enabled by default, unless you're using some sort of old version.

skacikpl;n8553290 said:
Geralt is not an NPC but i instance the high res shadows and mimics from actor class which geralt and ciri inherit from.
If you're using ansel utilities, both mimics and shadows are enabled by default, unless you're using some sort of old version.

From my testing, mimics only work on spawned actors while rmemr's mod allows for mimics on every character in the world (so you get mouths moving on random chatter), and shadows work's on everyone except Geralt, so we're forced to choose one of the mods.

skacikpl;n8553290 said:

Yeah, I was using 1.3 when I tried that things, I see in 1.5 you got mimics and Geralt's hires shadows! Thank you very much! :D

pretty sure if u just remove the line

actor.useHiResShadows = true;

from modEnableMimics\content\scripts\local\activateMimicsAndHiResShadows.ws
geralts shadows will work too... since it is already set in the actor script to True but when it sets it to True again in the local script it will revert to False for some reason....

erxv;n8553690 said:
pretty sure if u just remove the line

actor.useHiResShadows = true;

from modEnableMimics\content\scripts\local\activateMimi csAndHiResShadows.ws
geralts shadows will work too... since it is already set in the actor script to True but when it sets it to True again in the local script it will revert to False for some reason....

No success here.

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

GroveJr;n8554360 said:
So with skacikpl's NVIDIA Ansel Utilities, rmemr's mod is considered obsolete?

Depending on your needs and likings, essentially both mods do the same except in my mod this functionality is only a part of it.

skacikpl;n8554520 said:
Depending on your needs and likings, essentially both mods do the same except in my mod this functionality is only a part of it.

Unfortunately can't use your NVIDIA Ansel Utilities, for some reason have a script compilation errors:

"Error [content0]game\r4game.ws(1728): Function 'RemoveAllNonAutoBuffs' does not take 2 param(s)

Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(30): Global native function 'EnableDebugOverlayFilter' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(32): Global native function 'EnableDebugPostProcess' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\showflags.ws(11): Global native function 'DebugSetEShowFlag' was not exported from C++ code."

One more thing. I checked it (Ciri sauna scene) and Hires Shadows works as they should on Ciri.

Last edited:
Guzio;n8554650 said:
Unfortunately can't use your NVIDIA Ansel Utilities, for some reason have a script compilation errors:

"Error [content0]game\r4game.ws(1728): Function 'RemoveAllNonAutoBuffs' does not take 2 param(s)

Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(30): Global native function 'EnableDebugOverlayFilter' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(32): Global native function 'EnableDebugPostProcess' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\showflags.ws(11): Global native function 'DebugSetEShowFlag' was not exported from C++ code."

One more thing. I checked it (Ciri sauna scene) and Hires Shadows works as they should on Ciri.

Not related to the Ansel Utilities

ScoutBr0;n8554770 said:
Not related to the Ansel Utilities

But it happens even if I delete all the mods from the "Mods" folder. Game version 1.31 GOTY.

I have checked it more deeply. Some screenshots inside :

When I change, using the console command, the main character model from Geralt to Ciri, Hires Shadows works great on Ciri:

but not on Geralt:

Whan I play as Ciri, everything is O.K. :

but when I play as Geralt with Ciri as a companion, no Hires shadows again (Bald Mountain) :

It is a content0 error which means it is an error with the game's base scripts, try verifying your game's files you redownloading the base scripts.

Guzio in content0/scripts/game/r4game.ws you have to tweak line 1681 by deleting the comma sign. It's default bug from CDPR. Thanks to skacik for this information. :)

Just did a files verification, upgraded to the 1.31 A version (Gog Galaxy to 1.2.7) and now can't even lunch the game. Perhaps I should reinstall it :(

Edit: Strange. Can't lunch the game through GOG Galaxy anymore, something like a "memory leak" problem. The "witcher3.exe" works. Removed all the mods, dll files, did a files verification four times and Ansel Utilities still wont work.

About the line 1681, can't find any comma sign:

Last edited:
Guzio;n8556110 said:
About the line 1681, can't find any comma sign:

Sorry, I took number from my file. In your case it's 1728 :)

Here's it:
thePlayer.RemoveAllNonAutoBuffs( , true );

You have to remove comma. I have even completely empty brackets, without comma and "true". and it's working.

Here's proof that it's working:

Last edited:
Top Bottom