Increased Lod

+
Increased Lod

Hi, I was just taking some pictures to show off an LOD mod I was working on to Improve Proxy meshes as well as the various LOD's from different distances, heres a link to that. http://imgur.com/a/b7Zsc Something I noticed though is that when I was taking pictures with Nvidia Ansel, small objects that I didn't edit would pop in from further distances. Is it possible for anyone to find out what Ansel is changing when we're taking pictures and possibly work it so that we could actually play the game with better draw distances.

The mod seems to be great.

And yeah, i've always noticed that with Ansel. Not sure if increasing the decal related options in the user.settings file can produce the same effect, but if not... Well, i might be really wrong, but if they could make things have this increased LOD with Ansel it surely could've also been an option in-game for gameplay, right?

Kidoki;n8562680 said:
The mod seems to be great.

And yeah, i've always noticed that with Ansel. Not sure if increasing the decal related options in the user.settings file can produce the same effect, but if not... Well, i might be really wrong, but if they could make things have this increased LOD with Ansel it surely could've also been an option in-game for gameplay, right?

Thanks for the compliment. I would think it could've been an option. I don't know how Ansel achieves the greater draw distance but perhaps somebody could create a script that would stop ansel from pausing the game and eliminate the menu. I'm not a script pro so I don't even know if what I said makes sense but I think someone with more knowledge on the subject could figure it out.

I know some guys that have the talent for that, erxv , skacikpl .

What's the difference between your mod and the LOD mod that is on the Nexus?

Guest 2364765

Well, the fact that ANSEL does this is not exactly rocket science, since it communicates with the game. Once session starts the game does call several functions on it's end (stuff like pause or the proxy meshes, etc.), that's how it works in principle. Of course it's all in C++ side so you can't access it without disassembling the game but if anyone has the required skillset it _should_ be possible to at the very least find the function and see what it does. In ideal circumstances it should be able to fire off the part that's responsible for disabling proxy meshes.

Can you explain me ? Dof, lod, fog and draw of distance ,are they three different system you may use in game to hide low quality of distant objects?
or you try to combine it? And wot system is the best looking? Even if it takes much performance.

Guest 2364765

JohnPearce;n8564790 said:
Can you explain me ? Dof, lod, fog and draw of distance ,are they three different system you may use in game to hide low quality of distant objects?
or you try to combine it? And wot system is the best looking? Even if it takes much performance.

Depth of Field and fog are more of an artistic approach than a technical one. You CAN use them to hide imperfections but that's not the optimal way and those weren't designed just to do that.
Fog often was (and is) used to hide far Z plane (distance beyond which nothing is drawn anymore) so the fog would turn into solid color hiding the fact that there's nothing beyond the point it turns solid.
Obviously primary system to handle objects level of detail over distance is LOD (or Level of Detail), I don't quite understand the Witcher 3 workflow but it's also split into proxy system. Basically beyond certain distance mesh is swapped with a proxy one which unlike standard meshes is always streamed in and doesn't really obey same rules as normal meshes.

This very design makes it VERY uncomfortable to mod and is not really future-proof since you neither can easily override LOD distances nor easily disable proxy meshes. Hopefully, eventually RED Engine will get a redesign which allows people to crank mesh rendering distances and LOD bias via engine variable rather than having them recook each and every asset.

skacikpl;n8564980 said:
Depth of Field and fog are more of an artistic approach than a technical one. You CAN use them to hide imperfections but that's not the optimal way and those weren't designed just to do that.
Fog often was (and is) used to hide far Z plane (distance beyond which nothing is drawn anymore) so the fog would turn into solid color hiding the fact that there's nothing beyond the point it turns solid.
Obviously primary system to handle objects level of detail over distance is LOD (or Level of Detail), I don't quite understand the Witcher 3 workflow but it's also split into proxy system. Basically beyond certain distance mesh is swapped with a proxy one which unlike standard meshes is always streamed in and doesn't really obey same rules as normal meshes.

This very design makes it VERY uncomfortable to mod and is not really future-proof since you neither can easily override LOD distances nor easily disable proxy meshes. Hopefully, eventually RED Engine will get a redesign which allows people to crank mesh rendering distances and LOD bias via engine variable rather than having them recook each and every asset.

Well, thank you. Never noticed anything wrong with it, I always have dof ( on ). Is it so bad actually? And let me guess, e3 build was fine with it, isn't it?

Guest 2364765

I'm not the kind to go full on autistic screeching with "muh E3", we don't know how it looked and behaved in general. I didn't had a chance to play or disassemble it, based on few low resolution screenshots and videos i can't tell whether the mesh system was better or worse. For all we know general mesh quality was somewhat better (although probably also less optimized) and that's that.

All i know is that the game still references old mesh system and engine variables for overriding LOD's but that might go as far as TW2 days so there's no telling.

Olddddd the difference between my mod and the one on the nexus is that buildings will lose little to no quality no matter what distance you are from them. Lots of the buildings in witcher use whats called a proxy mesh which is a very low quality model with a very low quality texture. I'm rebuilding the proxies with high quality assets already used in the game. With my mod you'll even be able to make texture mods that will alter the way buildings look from any distance

VedmakOfOld I put it there, I wanted to make it part of my mod if I can get it working properly. It's very experimental so don't get your hopes up on it but if I can add it I absolutely will. It looks gorgeous in certain lighting, I'll take more pictures.

danielshihab;n8567140 said:
VedmakOfOld I put it there, I wanted to make it part of my mod if I can get it working properly. It's very experimental so don't get your hopes up on it but if I can add it I absolutely will. It looks gorgeous in certain lighting, I'll take more pictures.

But how?! it's mind-blowing to me - I thought adding stuff was not possible.

With God nothing shall be impossible, but you still won't be able to travel to it, its purely for looks. Riven is right, it does look a bit like a mole hill haha. But if I can work out the kinks I'll focus on making it look like a real mountain :)

Top Bottom