Improved Particle Systems

+
Improved Particle Systems

Hello, everybody.
As some of you might recall, several people attempted to make Igni particle effects respond to the wind, way back in 2015. The members in question couldn't get the primary version of Igni to work with their code, and eventually appeared to give up (the way to do it is to order the emitters as [2,13,6,10] in CParticleSystem #1 of igni_cone_fx.w2p). A few mods released since then incidentally add windInfluence to certain particle effects, but mostly at vanilla or close to vanilla values, and no comprehensive overhaul of all particle systems had yet been made for this purpose. I created Improved Particle Effects so that that would no longer be the case.

What it does:
- Adds windInfluence at varying strengths to myriad particle effects (Igni, Aard, Quen, Yrden, smoke, sparks, fire, fog, dust, some instances of spume, smoke and sparks from bomb fuses, gas and smoke clouds released by the detonation of all bombs which do so, PhysX APEX debris, monster and NPC-related particle effects, environmental gas, explosions, sparks and smoke from explosions, collision effects (such as wood chips and sparks), smoke from pipes, certain instances of snow, certain instances of frost, blood, walking effects, running effects, and rolling effects).
- Increases the particle count of all of the effects listed above, as well as several more.
- Recolors Igni, smoke, gas released by bombs, and environmental gas.
-Adds particle collision to large monsters and Geralt (this enables billowing smoke and gas).

What it shall do:
- Add windInfluence to leaves and pollen.
- Increase the particle count of leaves and pollen.

Installation instructions:
I. Download the file.
II. Unzip the file.
III. Copy the folder "modImprovedParticleSystems" to your [Witcher 3 Directory]/mods folder.

Just to prove that I am the same person who posted it on the Nexus, despite having a different username, I present this:
https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/hQEvk0GWt.png

Some basic examples of the effects (CDPR forums doesn't allow most 4k photos to be uploaded):
http://imgur.com/a/DiaQf

Download from the Nexus:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2493/?

Download from Mega:
https://mega.nz/#!Ba5lCZLb!-dJXBjUCi56OXqxqlSA9Vhv4Eu2mbSRehURrluR8exU

Attachments

• photo150000.jpg
    photo150000.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
great work! my only problem is that the effect is a bit too exaggerated from time to time. the visuals are not matching the hitbox which feels and looks really strange. If you can fix this, this is definitely a must-have imo.

Lave123 It is completely compatible with COMPILATION v2.0, but there were a couple of issues with earlier versions (I'm sure that this won't be a problem now).
K4rx20 Which effects do you think are exaggerated? I'm working on improving the primary version of Igni, if that's what you're talking about.

yea im talking about igni. take for example the third picture in the imgur library you posted above. The hitbox is far more right than the actual effect.

K4rx20
Just so you know, it isn't. I set the particle collision hitbox to be influenced by wind to the same degree as the sparks themselves.
If that's the only issue that you have with it, it's already been resolved.

A really cool mod! I am enjoying it! Just one little thing, the primary igni blow right behind you if you try to use it upwind in a windy day. I think it will be more realistic if there is a delay? Because the particles travel forward at first and then get blown away by the wind? Maybe? Or maybe I should tune down the wind? Anyway, great mod. Thanks for sharing.

verdwhisper Thank you! I'm going to see how the primary version of Igni can be improved, but give me a little time. It's probably going to be improved in the next big update (which will also add collision and more windInfluenced effects).
Lave123
You're welcome.

Last edited:
Alastre
K4rx20
Version 1.0 is out! I tweaked the primary version of Igni so that the effect is much less intense; sparks should no longer defy the laws of physics.
The update also adds a bunch of other interesting things, including particle collision for certain entities, enabling fog, gas, and smoke to react to the movement of Geralt and certain large monsters, as well as other changes.

Great! Can you make version without signs? :)
I am using already FTD and Lunayah mod and It is tooo much :p Other than that this mod is great! I would appreciate version without signs...:)

Hey, the mod looks great but I have found two things that are bothering me.
1. I think the wind effect is still just a little bit too strong during storms.
2. I've noticed huge fps drops when I use Igni. There is about a 30-35 fps drop.

http://imgur.com/a/TbRz1
1. You can't really tell by the screenshots. I think the general idea of windinfluence is great, but it should be subtle.
2. I'm using a 1070. All the drivers are up to date. I usually get around 70-80 fps with Hairworks on everything enabled. When I use Igni it drops to about 45-55. And that's not even in combat. I use better Fx, Compilation and Improved sign effects in combination with your mod.

Lave123
1. That's kind of how I intended it to look. I'll make a more subtle version, though.
2. I asked what CPU you are using, not GPU. The PhysX in this game (including Igni) is handled on the CPU.

Top Bottom