Revive the Live!!! But How?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Revive the Live!!! But How?

Hey nerds

I dunno about you all but E3 had me anxious that we might not get a W3-tier fantasy game (art, mechanics, story, world building) in the foreseeable future. And as hellish as modding this game is, it clearly has so much fertile ground for people to keep it fresh indefinitely. What do you think we can do - us, just the goofballs who like to play and tinker, forget CDPR, they're all tied up in their sci-fi project, what can WE do - to really crack open this game and take it to some wild places? Lore is nice but fantasy is fantasy, and TW3 has so much material in it that with enough manipulation could totally allow people to end up playing radically different games according to their cravings.

Basically the idea here is to inject some imaginative drive into the modding scene so people don't feel beholden to lore to be welcomed, and inject some creative drive into the scene to make some confident non-lore mods to shape the material in the game into more of a true RPG where people can really do whatever and be whoever they want to. So things like

- A framework for players to become mage-types and reach beyond the witcher signs into magic that takes a lot of skill and energy for more massive effects
--maybe even some druid types who can calm beasts and maybe even transform??
- Some more world building frameworks, like
--bringing some of the Blood and Wine sleep system into the inns
--letting Geralt buy some property in the world before he gets to Toussaint
--recording new NPC chatter to enhance immersion mods
- Water travel mods that make working without fast travel in Skellige more viable, maybe give Geralt the opportunity to buy a modest boat from that dude he meets who asks him to deal with the muire d'yaeblen
- Seasons mods????
- Or whatever else is good and different and exciting!!!

We don't have to kill ourselves to make it all seamless immediately. But we don't have to limit ourselves either!! Somewhere in the bowels of the game, there is material to make everything I've noted here possible, except maybe the boat thing.

As for, "Okay, and what are you going to do?" I don't know how to do the code stuff, but I do know how to work with art, and I super know how to work with sound, so I'm 100% happy to help with sound on any crazy thing you want to put together!!

Skyrim is nice but the mechanics are like playing rock em sock em robots through a school bus window. TW3 has insane quantities of material ripe for reuse. *Raises a Mel Gibson fist into the void* "So waddya say!" Are there enough people feeling cooped up enough and itching to tear this thing open to actually do some big stuff? ~~Lemme know if you need me~~

Also in terms of improving the community, we should seriously consider setting up some (I guess by default informal) social agreement wherein unless a modder's work is specifically aimed to exist within lore, we don't try to critique it in terms of lore. That is a toxic thing that we gotta reel in if we're going to attract creativity. Paying homage is valuable, but novelty is equally necessary for progress.

Man, you need to lay off the caffeine!

Jokes aside, modders are already doing their absolute best at modding as much in the game as is possible. An apparently straight-forward task as bringing back the 2013 E3 UI for example has turned out to be a colossal task.

You are asking for things as if it can be done on a whim. This simply isn't the case at all.

Wait for October, and play Assassins Creed: Origins.

WalteriusMaximus;n8972100 said:
Wait for October, and play Assassins Creed: Origins.
Well, I really thought that AC origins will maybe be a good AC again... but tbh the trailer was kinda lame and the gameplay seemed really flat... imo atleast. I'll probably pass Origins again...

marzipanstan Well, what you say is true ofc.
But everybody is already working on stuff. And if you have a great idea, just make a thread. If the idea is good enough people will be found that would like to join and help. Ofc the know-how is important aswell.

All you need are tools for modding as good as skyrim's ones. You need totally control of the game. We have none of these.

traderain;n8974570 said:
That can change.

Unless some genius comes around and builds effective tools, it won't change. The reason why we didn't get a full modding kit is because CDPR is using a lot of middleware to develop systems within the game.

WalteriusMaximus;n8974600 said:
The reason why we didn't get a full modding kit is because CDPR is using a lot of middleware to develop systems within the game.

That's incorrect.

traderain I knew I could count on you - what do we need to do to put together better tools? Would it be useful to compile a wiktionary, like for example the massive one that Civ modders use? And how do we get the attention of people who would know how to do the necessary stuff?

Mishikedman;n8974930 said:
How is that incorrect ? Please explain.
The reason we didn't get proper modding tools is the lack of time and manpower spent on the project by CDPR. Most of the middleware stuff can be/is already recoded. Someone just needs to spend some time on it. Also to mod a game you don't need many of those tools.

We gotta stop nipping at each other or nobody's going to want to do anything. traderain , would you be able to put together a list/outline of things that need doing to build better tools and start a new thread for it? Maybe try to personally reinvigorate anyone you might know of who could help but has grown weary of W3 work?

traderain ! If it can be done it doesn't matter who thinks it can't! Let's focus on trying to make something happen - what's your thought on that outline+new thread proposition?

marzipanstan;n8975160 said:
traderain ! If it can be done it doesn't matter who thinks it can't! Let's focus on trying to make something happen - what's your thought on that outline+new thread proposition?

Pm me your discord.

Guest 2364765

Step one is: We don't have tools to make anything that's both substantial and big scaled
Step two is: There's barely anyone left with required skills and knowledge to work on anything
Step three is: Unlike Skyrim which is still relevant since, what now, 2011 thanks to mods i imagine Witcher 3 playerbase has receeded by solid 80 to 90% by now

TL;DR is, there are no tools, skills, creators and target audience.

Even leaving that alone Witcher 3 was clearly not developed with modding in mind and it has lots of other smaller and bigger quirks and issues which cause any kind of modding become more and more problematic as you try to scale it up.

Yeah, seems like they had different mentality than bethesda
They wanted to release a full game unlike bethesta who releases the game half-done, and lets modders do it.

Reminds me of Achilles from greek mythology tbh,
Glorious but short life (TW3, with the tons of rewards etc)
vs
Long & prosperous (skyrim, thanks to modding tools)

oh well...

Last edited:
I have no fcking clue about scripting and stuff but if i can help to produce better/more tools for modding witcher 3 by any way, message me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom