FBX exported from 3dsmax are invisible

+
FBX exported from 3dsmax are invisible

Dear friends, I am having a consistent problem when editing hair meshes with 3dsmax. I am using 3dsmax 2018 because it is the most recent and because most of the previous versions crashed when loading dae files. I don't have much experience with it, but I have to use it in this case. So, after exporting the fbx of the mesh I want to edit with w3oven, I load it into 3dsmax, do my stuff and then export it again as fbx type2013. Afterwards I cook it properly, but when testing it in-game it has become invisible, like in the following picture:

As you can see, while the hair mesh is invisible, the little metal decorations that are in the frontal hair strands of Triss, do SHOW up! What am I missing that is causing this problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Make sure the mesh is bound/linked to the armature/bones. Watch marvelmaster 's tutorials on YouTube where he did Kratos' head. It's the same process.

TudorAdrian;n9005370 said:
Make sure the mesh is bound/linked to the armature/bones. Watch marvelmaster 's tutorials on YouTube where he did Kratos' head. It's the same process.

Thanks for the input. I have seen the w3 modding laylist by marvelmaster and more or less I have learned how to do it successfully with Blender 2.75, I even released a mod about it. The problem is that this particular hair mesh and one other are unique in showing buggy behavior, ie strangely flowing hair while the others I have edited also in Blender are working fine. So, that's why I have decided to give it a try with 3dsmax, but unfortunately there is much less support and documentation for this program here, although it was supposedly the same one used by CDPR to make this game. And I'm stumbling mostly in the dark and I'm now getting this strange invisible mesh problem...

Last edited:
Cercaphus;n9005550 said:
Thanks for the input. I have seen the w3 modding laylist by marvelmaster and more or less I have learned how to do it successfully with Blender 2.75, I even released a mod about it. The problem is that this particular hair mesh and one other are unique in showing buggy behavior, ie strangely flowing hair while the others I have edited also in Blender are working fine. So, that's why I have decided to give it a try with 3dsmax, but unfortunately there is much less support and documentation for this program here, although it was supposedly the same one used by CDPR to make this game. And I'm stumbling mostly in the dark and I'm now getting this strange invisible mesh problem...

O'm 100% sure it isn't bound to the armature. Same thing happened to me when doing work on the Eredin VGX mask mod. There's one point in the game where Eredin takes off his mask. When we modified that mask to the new mesh it showed as ''invisible'' like it wasn't there but upon a closer look, it was there but at ground level instead of the face/head where it should have been. The problem was that it wasn't rigged right to the proper bones / armature.

EDIT: make sure your XML file is 10000% accurate. That your materials in the XML match the ones in the mesh, that the path names are 100% correct! Double-check everything, leave no stone unturned.

TudorAdrian;n9006700 said:
O'm 100% sure it isn't bound to the armature. Same thing happened to me when doing work on the Eredin VGX mask mod. There's one point in the game where Eredin takes off his mask. When we modified that mask to the new mesh it showed as ''invisible'' like it wasn't there but upon a closer look, it was there but at ground level instead of the face/head where it should have been. The problem was that it wasn't rigged right to the proper bones / armature.

EDIT: make sure your XML file is 10000% accurate. That your materials in the XML match the ones in the mesh, that the path names are 100% correct! Double-check everything, leave no stone unturned.

Nice mod by the way!

So the problem is weight painting? I will give it another go later. Any tips on easy and safe weight painting with 3dsmax?

For the xml I left it as it was, because I'm only doing a basic recolor to the vertices. It shouldn't be that hard in the first place! xD

I have a question on that though: When I exported the mesh from 3dsmax and opened it with Blender I noticed that its material and texture properties were different than the vanilla mesh. In such a case, do I have to edit the materials and textures properties directly in the mesh, or during cooking they are replaced by the file paths and properties of the xml?

Cercaphus;n9006960 said:
Nice mod by the way!

So the problem is weight painting? I will give it another go later. Any tips on easy and safe weight painting with 3dsmax?

For the xml I left it as it was, because I'm only doing a basic recolor to the vertices. It shouldn't be that hard in the first place! xD

I have a question on that though: When I exported the mesh from 3dsmax and opened it with Blender I noticed that its material and texture properties were different than the vanilla mesh. In such a case, do I have to edit the materials and textures properties directly in the mesh, or during cooking they are replaced by the file paths and properties of the xml?

Weight painting and grouping to the bones / armatures.

I can't help with 3d max; never used it.

If the materials in the .DAE mesh do not match what's in your XML when cooking, the mod will not work. Every material inside that .dae or .fbx mesh you export have to match 100% with what's in the .xml file otherwise you can recook 3000 times and try all the 3d editors in the world :)

Good luck!

No. The unwrap is incorrect. But the mistake is not because of her, since I myself now tried my hair with a dead unwrap.
Lay out your fbx file after exporting from Max. Maybe I'll get lucky and I'll find the problem.

cemkey;n9007500 said:
No. The unwrap is incorrect. But the mistake is not because of her, since I myself now tried my hair with a dead unwrap.
Lay out your fbx file after exporting from Max. Maybe I'll get lucky and I'll find the problem.

Alright, here's the exported file (along with the accompanying xml that I cook together): http://www.mediafire.com/file/67mtf3...rom+3dsmax.rar If you figure out what's wrong and the hair mesh is invisible, while those metal things hang in the air, I will be super happy!

Last edited:
Found the cause of the error. The problem is really in the import error in Max UVW unwrap. To be sure, add the Unwrap UVW modifier, open it and move one or more vertices. Drag the modifier to the second place, that it was between Skin and Editable Mesh. Then export. Hair will appear, but the scan will still be wrong. You'll see for yourself in the game.
Correctly imports unwrap only Max 2010. Or before importing into Max, re-save Microsoft visual studio.
I hope Google translator understood everything clearly.

cemkey;n9009170 said:
Found the cause of the error. The problem is really in the import error in Max UVW unwrap. To be sure, add the Unwrap UVW modifier, open it and move one or more vertices. Drag the modifier to the second place, that it was between Skin and Editable Mesh. Then export. Hair will appear, but the scan will still be wrong. You'll see for yourself in the game.
Correctly imports unwrap only Max 2010. Or before importing into Max, re-save Microsoft visual studio.
I hope Google translator understood everything clearly.

No worries friend, I think I understood you well. So to avoid the problem with uvw unwrap, I have to save the exported fbx through visual studio 2 times? For example, export with w3oven, open in visual studio, save and open again in visual studio, save one more time and then import into 3dsmax?

Convert from w3mesh to fbx, open in visual studio. Next way 1: to make some changes on it in the visual studio, then save it; Method 2: just save the file under a different name; Otherwise, without these actions, it simply will not survive. (The file can be re-saved by its size, it will be twenty times less than the original one.) Then we import into Max.

So, I think I succesfully imported my mesh into 3dsmax thanks to he kelp of cemkey, but now I'm having problems exporting the file from 3dsmax lol. All I did, as an experiment, was to vertex paint the mesh to a pink-purple color like in the following picture, nothing too demanding supposedly:

So, after reading some autodesl tutorials, I create a skin morph modifier and add the bones to it in order to make sure there is no longer any problems with the weights. Unfortunately, whenever I try to export it gives the following errors and everything is messed up naturally:

What am I missing? Obviously it's got tomething to do with the bones and the skin, but what? Wasn't the skin morph modifier supposed to solve this issue?

I have no idea what you deducted there. But if this serves some of your specific purposes, then use Skin Morph. But if you want to just work as worked, then Skin Morph is not needed. Enough imported Skin modifier, just in the list of modifiers it should be on top.

Top Bottom