Explaining Yennefer's behaviour in the game (with a canon Geralt as partner)

+
Don't really agree with the argument that Yen lacked content in the early part of the game. Skellige is act 1 as much as Novigrad is, on top of the special introduction. In act 1 both characters are handled well. Issue is far more that player isn't prompted the player to move between areas, with suggested quest levels suggesting they should stay put. Personally i go Skellige before really diving into the Novigrad arc in my later playthroughs.

I think one problem is that when following the recommended quest levels, Now or Never (level 14) forces a choice on the player too early before knowing enough, and then the game does not react to that choice until act 3. Thus, new players are likely to get frustrated either because their choice is ignored, or because they get locked into a romance they do not want later, or they get a threesome ending. A possible better solution could have been to only trigger Now or Never in act 2 after Ugly Baby and before the Isle of Mists, and add one more quest in its place in Novigrad in act 1. This way, the first choice would be in The Last Wish, after already having completed both act 1 quest lines.

Kaer Trolde (or as I would call it the real reunion and the real introduction of Yennefer AND Geralt)

Even without the text, you know what's going, because you can see it in their faces, and it's not just what they say, but also in which tone, their mimics and gesture.

You look beautiful.

Thank you. Nice to see you again.

The eulogy.

You knew Bran?
You knew Bran?
Yes. He was well respected.
Unlike his wife.

You smell wonderful.

You smell wonderful.
Geralt – we’re at a funeral.
You smell wonderful at this funeral.

Go to the wake with me?
Come to the wake with me?
Gladly

Not in the mood for a wake.
Hope we don’t have to go to this wake.
Well… We don’t have to go…

Feasts in Skellige – so predictable. Slobbering drunks, brazen boasting, and the inevitable rows that result…
Yeah, nothing like the banquets mages attend. Remember the one on Thanned?
You were there – how could I forget? I also remember excruciatingly well what happened after the banquet.

Wanna run away with you, spend some time alone.

Haven’t seen each other in two years. I want a solitary cottage by the sea. I wanna lock myself inside with you, stay there for a week.

What would we do there for a week?

Got so many ideas…
The one with the rope you use for trophies, that one seems interesting.

Reading my mind?

Reading my mind again?

Mhm. What’s more, I like what I see.

Really hate it when you read my mind.
Stop reading my mind.
Something to hide?
Don’t like secrets?
No.
(women never like secrets, though love having them :))

I can't imagine choosing any other dialogue option than these.

Politics? Who cares, he has finally a moment with her without anyone interrupting.

Yes, he hates that sorcerers read his mind, though he doesn't always dislike it, when she does it. There are times, when he actually thinks of nice things just for her, but I will come to that later, I don't want to take apart this wonderful moment with that now.

Because this is how I have imagined their reunion would be, almost cheesy, but so good, though so damn late

Anyway it's not just what they say, especially what Geralt can say, but especially how they look at each other or how she looks modestly away at first. You can see the affection and fondness between them and it's just the start of it, if you act accordingly, 'as the man she fell in love with' and not a douche.

In the following 20-40 minutes we can see a lot of facettes of Yennefer, which might even surprise you, if you look and listen closely and think about it for a minute and not just characterize her with a blink of an eye or just repeat what others say.

Did you learn anything in Velen?

As far as Velen’s concerned….
Velen – awful place. Somehow Ciri wound up at the castle of the local ruler – a baron, self-proclaimed. This was after she was injured.
Injured? Was it serious?
Don’t think so. Must’ve recovered, because this baron sent her on to Novigrad. Think she was looking for you at the time.
These witches Ciri came across – she was lucky to escape them.
Witches?
Creatures, more like. Can’t say exactly what they are. But they’re dangerous. Very.
Also ran into an old friend of ours in Velen – Keira.
What on earth is Keira Metz doing in that wasteland?
Hiding from witch hunters. Listen, she told me an elven mage had been there, looking for Ciri.
Good. You’ll need to tell me more when we have some time.

As for Novigrad…
Been to Novigrad. Ciri was there, looking for a way to lift some curse. She’s not there anymore.
You’re certain?
Heard it from Dandelion – with no embellishments.
Do you know any more about this curse?
Not much. Ciri ran into some trouble, never finished what she went there to do. I recovered a phylactery – she was looking for a way to enchant it.
I’ll look at it later.

What’ve you learned?
How about you? What’ve you learned?
Something strange happened on Ard Skellig a time ago. A disaster brought about by a burst of magic. Extraordinary, really, a natural anomaly. Never seen anything like it.
My intuition tells me Ciri was its cause.
As much as I respect your intuition, Yen, we need something specific, evidence.
I’d know for certain if I was able to inspect the disaster zone. Unfortunately, Ermion and his druids aren’t letting anyone near.

Ermion is chief druid here?
Ermion’s head of the Skellige circle? Haven’t seen him since… hmm…
Since Ciri was a little girl.
I doubt he’ll do you any favors. Not even for old times’ sake.

Why won’t they let you examine the zone?
So why won’t Ermion let you inspect the area of the anomaly?
Call it a difference of opinion. A large, loud difference.
Look, it’s Crach.
You can hear concern and anxiety in her voice, when she hears that Ciri might have been hurt or in danger.

White Wolf!
Greetings, Crach.
I shall see you at the wake. And I’ll not accept any excuses – I’ve an important matter to discuss with you.
Guess our solitary hut will have to wait. Crach an Craite’s someone we want on our side.
I shall wear black and white for the feast. I count on you to don something complimentary. Something that doesn’t reek of a thousand hunts.
Yen, you know I can’t stand new doublets. Just too tight till you break them in…
And just like Crach, I’ll not accept any excuses. We’re not here to enjoy ourselves – we’ve matters to resolve and should dress appropriately.
I’ve rented a room at the inn. Took the liberty of laying out some clothes for you there. You ought to go, choose something. In the meantime, I’ve something to attend to. We’ll meet at the entrance to the feast hall.

and a feast
This’s gotta be Yen’s room. She always did like space.
And luxury.

Glamour… Scent of lilac and gooseberries, even with the lid on…
Taste hasn’t changed.

Hm… The stuffed unicorn. She fixed it.

No idea how she managed to bring so much clothing. Must’ve hired out a galleon.
As usual – black and white.

Her megascope…? Guess she never goes anywhere without it.
As Philippa Eilhart said, megascopes and toothbrushes – deeply personal possessions…

Tissaia de Vries, “The Poisoned Source” – still turns to it for inspiration.
Again, Geralt shows that he knows Yen quite well, he knows her bad and good habits, even the more kinky ones

He also can find her journal, which shows:

She is looking fo a djinn, but you don't know why yet, though the reason is obviously to gain a lot of power, for what exactly? Unknown.

But you can find another book, by her old mentor, the one who taught her everything she knew and the one who eradicated every human feeling in her, Tissaia de Vries:

Tissaia is the one responsible for Yennefer's education, but also her human behaviour until it changed with the meeting of Geralt. She is the one, who proposed that no sorcererss should be ever a mother. You have to decide to be a sorceress or a mother, but she didn't let Yennefer decide, she did it for her.

Yennefer's only desire, wish was to be mother, to have a child, that one thing that was stolen from her, before she knew that she want it.

Tissaia even proposed to make every sorceress infertile, so it can't even happen by accident that they get pregnant, maybe Yennefer was even her first victim.

Here you can already suspect a facette of Yennefer, you don't really see in the game, a deeply damaged human being, tortured in her past by her parents and her tutor. Parents? Yes, the ones who never really loved her:

The Tower of the Swallow
Jana! Janchen!
Take this hunchbacked monster away from me! I do not want to see it!
This is your daughter, just like mine.
Really? The children I have fathered are normal.
How dare you insinuate… to…
There were sorceresses in your elven family. You aborted your first pregnancy. It follows that your elf blood and womb are spoiled, woman. Why do you bring this monster into the world?
This unfortunate child… This was the will of the gods! This is your daughter, just like mine! What should I do? Strangle her? Tie off the umbilical cord? What do want from me? To go into the forest and leave her there? What do you want from me, by the gods?
Dad! Mama!
Go away, you monster.
How dare you? How dare you to hit the child? Stop? Where are you going? Where? To her, yes? To her!
Indeed, woman. I am a man, I can appease my desire where I want, when I want. This is my birthright. And you make me sick. You and the fruit of your correspondingly degenerate belly. Do not wait for dinner. I will not come back tonight.
Mama…
Why are you crying?
Why did you hit me and push me away? I was good…
Mama! Dear Mama!

She wasn't always a strong-willed woman, she became like this because of her past. To be stronger than last time, to endure those situations and not crumble under them.

The Lady of the Lake
She came to, and groaned in pain. Both of her forearms and wrists ached like crazy. She mechanically fumbled around and noticed several layers of bandages. She groaned again, without words, desperate. With regret that this was not a dream. And regretting to have not succeeded.
'It did not work,' Tissaia de Vries said, sitting next to the bed.
Yennefer wanted a drink, something to wet her sticky lips. But she did not ask. Her pride would not allow it.
'It did not work,' said Tissaia de Vries. 'But not because you did not try. You cut yourself deeply and accurately. Therefore, I am now with you. If you did not mean it seriously, if it was just a ridiculous, bogus exhibition, I have only contempt for you. But you cut yourself deep. Seriously.'
Yennefer numbly stared at the ceiling.
'I will take care of you, girl I think you are worth it. I'll work with you here. It will not be easy. I have to straighten the spine and flatten the hump. But I also have to treat those hands. When you cut your veins, you severed tendons. And the hands of a sorceress are a very important instrument, Yennefer.'
Moister on her lips. Water.
'You'll live,' said Tissaia factually, seriously, even severe. 'Your time is yet to come. But when it arrives, you'll remember this day.'
Yennefer eagerly suck moisture from a stick wrapped in a wet dressing.
'I'll take care of you,' echoed Tissaia de Vries, touching her hair gently. 'And now … We're here alone, without witnesses. Not one is looking at us, and I'm not going to say anything to anyone. Cry, girl. Pour it all out. Make it your last cry. Starting now you will never cry. There is nothing more pathetic than a sorceress in tears.'

Without becoming like this, she wouldn't have survived so long.

Riiight... Just not something I'd ever wear. Buuut, what don't we do for our--
Hm... Who exactly is she to me?

At first I was a bit grumpy about this comment by Geralt, because he should already know who exactly she is to him, but I think this is just allusion for the player to think about it. To think who this Yennefer actually is and what those both connects. This isn't a comment about Geralt, this is a comment about the player.

Lady Yennefer. So pleased you’ve come to pay your respects to my dead husband.
I knew Konung Bran well. His passing is the Isles’ great loss.
It is… We must do all we can to minimize its traffic consequences.

Bran was a great ruler.
He needs a worthy successor.
You speak as though you have someone in mind.
Skellige’s troubles very much derive from it not being a hereditary monarchy. Any upstart can be king and destroy his predecessor’s legacy.
The King of the Isles is a more symbolic position.
And that should change as well. A strong leader who wields true power – that is what the times require.

Shows that Yennefer is well informed about the politics affairs and knows even the meanings behind the positions.

Introduce me, Yen?
Introduce me?
This is my friend Geralt, and this is Birna – widow of the dear departed Bran.
The queen mother. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Geralt. You must forgive me, but on a day like today, I’m afraid I cannot indulge in my penchant for long conversations.

I’m Geralt.
I’m Geralt. A witcher.
Birna. Queen of Skellige. I’m glad we’ve met, but oyu must forgive me. Duty calls.

Lovely outfit. You look… dashing.
Thank you. You’re… dazzling.
You know I really missed your candidness. I’m glad we’re here, together.
- Interlude -
What happens if you choose other clothes?

1. You picked something that doesn't suit you, her or the situation at all:

2. You picked something that isn't exactly black and white, though you are able to weasel out by making a compliment:

3. You picked something in black and white and it is suited for a wake/feast:

- End of the Interlude -

Ugh, don’t like funerals, don’t like feasts.
I know. You also dislike underdone meat and being teleported. But sometimes we must overcome our disgusts and prevail.
We should mingle before they all get drunk. There’ll be no talking to anyone then.
Good thinking. I don’t know what Crach wants, but when we meet with him we should have clear minds.
I’m not gonna drink. Why dull my senses when I’m in such pleasant company?
Do you plan to compliment me all evening?
I plan to tell you what I think.

Those are the lines that show their relationship, not just the compliment, but also that she knows what he likes and dislikes, she also knows that a intiamte moment has still to wait and Geralt can understand that.

"I plan to tell you what I think" this isn't just about the compliments, but in general.

She also agrees with Geralt here that they should mingle before everybody is too drunk. That also means that Geralt shouldn't drink too much, his own idea to hurry before everybody else is too drunk. She just asks him to do the same, to not drink too much, yet you will be able to drink nonetheless, refusing her plea, Geralt's own thinking.

Yennefer might have also other plans, but the meeting with Crach is the important one. An important talk with him, a drunk Geralt, like we can see later in Kaer Morhen, would be useless.

Geralt, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you.
Hm?
Your beard. Why’d you decide to grow it out?
Don’t really know.
Hm.
Must say it suits you..

That's exactly a bit weird, Geralt actually hate beards. He always shave and he hates it, when he can't, but he does indeed look more badass with a beard and that has nothing to do wtih my own beard

Again a nice small talk, just like all of them, as this is what makes them a good natural pair, these small talks, these glances, this mutual understanding.

Lady Yennefer. Sir.
Greetings, Arnvald. My companion is Geralt of Rivia.
I am honored.

Where can we find Crach?
We wanted to talk to Crach an Craite.

Again, why should Geralt be impolite? He is at a feast for a funeral.

Nice to meet you.
Nice to meet you, too. Quite a few guests.
They come to bid their king farewell. They come to see the claimants to the crown.
We wanted to talk to Crach an Craite.

The jarl will join us shortly. He’s assigned you a place of honor at the table, just beside his daughter, Cerys.
Follow me, please.

They’ve seated us here.
I asked them to. Wanted to meet the notorious witcher Geralt.
We’ve met. Don’t remember?
That was ages ago. Hjalmar and I were children when you last visited our da. But you should meet your feast-mates. Allow me the dubious honor.
That’s Halbjorn, son of Holger Blackhand. Blueboy Lugos, Madman Lugos’ firstborn. And chokin’ down a stockfish over there’s Otrygg an Hindar.

And what’s your name? Sorry, forgot.
Forgive me, I remember our meeting those years ago, but I don’t recall your name.
Cerys an Craite. Crach, her da, and her big brother Hjalmar call her Sparrowhawk. A jarl’s daughter she is. Fat lot of good it does her.

He knows Cerys, he even heard her name seconds ago...

You’re jarls’ sons, all.
Seems they sat us with the sons of jarls, exclusively.
Cerys an Craite is the daughter of a jarl, Geralt. Jarls’ daughters are in no way inferior to their sons.
Do you know every last one of ‘em dreams of bein’ Bran’s successor? Look at ‘em – likely lot.

Cerys is jealous, for the one among us who performs the greatest feat will be crowned king.
We all know the feats are a sideshow. Our fathers will choose who will wear the crown. What d’you think they spoke to Crach about?
You talk like ‘cause you’re short of strength and skill. Remember when Hjalmar challenged us all to a race up the mount? You didn’t stand with us then. As he buried his axe in that stump at the top to mark his victory, you were warmin’ your chicken bones by the fire.
Had my reasons for not participatin’. But I woulda won then, as I’d win now.
Hm, now that you mentioned him… just noticed Hjalmar’s not here.
My brother walks his own paths.
But about the race… why don’t we repeat it? I’m willin’ to challenge any of you, witcher included. If I beat him to the top, venture to say that’d be a feat, eh? So, you in?
If the witcher’s in.
Geralt?

Yennefer is no party killer, she asks kindly, whether he wants, despite having more important stuff to do.

Sure. I’ll race.
Gladly. What’re the rules?
Whoever pulls Hjalmar’s axe from the stump at the top of the hill, wins. Stray off the path, and you lose.
And here I was ready to puke from all the boredom! Let’s go!

Another time.
Honored to be asked, but maybe some other time.
Shame.

Why not?

*race*

Lost sight o’youse. Who won?
I lost.
Lost to a witcher, Sparrowhawk. That’d likely happen to any of us.

Enough of the natterin’. Let’s drink!

Let’s drink.
To Cerys!
Pass the mead and a tankard for the man!
To Bran! May he want for nothing in the world beyond!
To my beautiful companion!

Not me.
Can’t today, for good reason, believe me.
If not today, then when?!

Here I decided to drink, because I think it just fits Geralt to do it anyway, at least once (Once won't hurt), and he also makes a compliment to Yennefer, so she can't really be mad about him

You’ve been great company. Sadly, it’s time we moved one.
Really…?
Indeed. We must talk. But not here.
You shall learn all beyond that door.
He knows they have to talk to Crach, but it's Geralt, give him alcohol and he is happy. But Yennefer already tells him that there might be more and since she will have a reason, he understands.

Widows
I couldn’t help overhearing. Fate was unkind to your menfolk.
Widows’ isles – that’s what Skellige is.
To you continentals, war started a half year back. We’ve been fightin’ Nilfgaard for years now.
And we’re not like to ever stop.
Your husbands died glorious deaths.

Crach’s sure to see that you’re cared for.
Women don’t need men to care for them, Geralt.
The sorceress speaks true. We take care of ourselves. War and death are twin sisters – we’ve long known both.
No one mourns here. Tears we replace with vengeance. The Women of Skellige are fertile, and we birth no cowards.
Farewell. May your sons make port as many times as they sail out.
As the gods will it, so shall it be.

Must say I like the women of Skellige. It’s as if each one would make a good sorceress.
Can’t think of a single sorceress from Skellige. Let alone a famous one.
Lytta Neyd. Known also as Coral. Don’t you remember?
Oh Geralt, oh Geralt. How could he forget Coral? :facepalm2:

She makes an interesting comment here that it seems that every skellige woman might be a fine sorceress, what exactly does that mean?

Skellige women are all strong-willed, no victims, hardliner, live a rough life and can deal with such problems like death. It also says a lot about sorceresses too.

"Women don't need men to care for them, Geralt."

Nobody needs to care about Yennefer either, she can take care of herself. Every (wo)man is the architect of his/her own fortune.

Queen mother
Geralt, this is Holger Blackhand. Birna, Bran’s widow and our hostess today, you’ve already met.
Widow? A widow’s duty is to lie beside her husband.
A window’s duty is to care for the king’s son.
Not by our customs it ain’t.
Your customs are barbarous.

Not our place to get involved.
Not our place to criticize, Yen. All peoples do things their own way.
We’re talking about the self-immolation of woman, not about decorating trees for Yule.
Harsh custom, but this is a harsh land. Tradition is Skellige’s backbone.
People make laws, and people can change them.

Yen’s right.
A custom that demands widows burn themselves alive – too harsh.
Foreigners.
Holger, perhaps you’d like to show us the meaning of courage, walk willingly into flames. I’m sure we can scrape together some wood.
Callin’ me a coward?!
Calm yourself, Holger. You speak to a widow at her husband’s wake.

Heard a lot of good things about Bran.
I will miss him sorely.
I was not his first wife, but I bore him his first-born son and saw him off on his final journey.
We lived a great many years together.
Let’s move on, Yen.
High time we did as well. Come, Svanrige.
Birna’s a scheming whore. Refuses to admit her reign’s ended.
Brawn knew how to keep her in line. Let’s drink to his memory.

I shouldn’t drink.
Bran – a great king, a great man.
May our next king be his equal.
Geralt.
All right. Let’s go.

Why would Geralt defend such customs? Why would he ever defend killing people for the sake of it? Of course he agrees with Yennefer here, but when you say the opposite, you will learn more about Yennefer. It's actually a nice idea, whenever you agree with her, you are already on the same wavelength with her, if you are not, you will learn more about her character.

She holds life dear, it isn't something you should just discard or sacrifice, life is previous and should be protected and not be used.

"People make laws, and people can change them."

Just minutes ago she told Birna that it is custom that the monarch is being voted, that seems reasonable, but this custom is just killing a human being, because the customs demand it, which is just nonsense, it's unreasonable.

Fortune teller
What’s that mean – “The isles are in for hard times”? Speak clear.
The heart was deformed. An ill omen always.
An ill omen for me as well? Hear me? What’ll become of me?
Fear not, Jarl. I’ll not let you perish, I assure you. You need only follow my council.
I present to you Geralt of Rivia. Geralt… This is Udalryk, jarl of the Brokvar clan, from Spikeroog, and his advisor, Hjort.
The White Wolf.
Greetings.

Gotta say, never really believed in omens and auguries.
One’s belief or lack thereof – makes no difference.
Tell him what awaits him. What you told me.
Your fates will intertwine – yours and Uldalryk’s. You will walk in darkness. Before you – fire and shadow.
Hear that, Geralt? Everything clear now?
Didn’t plan to visit Spikeroog.
Man is not the master of his fate.
Thanks for the prediction.
You do not believe now, but you will yet remember my words.

If you don’t mind, Yen, I’d like to ask about us. What’s the future hold in store?
The one you seek you will find, and then she will die.
So I won’t meet a tall dark stranger? I shall have to content myself with you, Geralt.
I sense the mockery in your voice, my lady. But my omens do not lie.

Nice to meet you both.
A toast, to honor King Bran’s memory.

I’m not drinking.
A worthy gesture, Udalryk, but I need to keep my head clear today. Got an important conversation later.

Strange man.
I hear he’s very sick. Carrying himself unusually well tonight.
Here you can see more of Yennefer's more funny side, her sarcastic side, something she has in common with Geralt.

Also both don't really believe in religion or fortune tellers, all this hokus pokus is not for them. Both have the same opinion about it, it's just nonsense, they don't really believe it.

The Last Wish
“I didn't forbid you. But I know it's pointless. Iola doesn't speak.”
“What?”
“She doesn't speak. She's taken a vow. It's a sort of sacrifice through which…Oh, what's the point of explaining; you wouldn't understand anyway. You wouldn't even try to understand. I know your views on religion. No, don't get dressed yet. I want to check your neck.”

“I’ll willingly listen to them. But a trance, I repeat, would do no harm.”
“Don't you think”—he smiled—“that my lack of faith makes such a trance pointless?”
“No, I don't. And do you know why?”
“No.”
Nenneke leaned over and looked him in the eyes with a strange smile on her pale lips.
“Because it would be the first proof I’ve ever heard of that a lack of faith has any kind of power at all.”

But that doesn't mean they don't respect those people, they just don't believe in the same things they do. The Garden quest later makes it even clearer.

2 brawlers
Allow me to introduce Geralt of Rivia, a witcher. Geralt, Jarl Donar an Hindar and Jarl Madman Lugos.
Callin’ Lugos a madman’s an insult to madmen. He’s a common goatfucker.
Call me goatfucker one more time, and I’ll chop off your head, stick it on a pike, and piss down your neckhole.
Enough. Time to settle this – here and now.
Oh, hahahah! Givin’ me a true fright right now! Shat me best trousers! Put that away before you cut yourself, you cunt.

Calm down.
Thought Skelligers called a truce for feasts.
I know the hallowed customs. But Lugos ought to know that I’ll not let him raid my Hindarsfjall bare.
You don’t scare anyone, Donar. I’ll be by soon to plough your priestesses, drink from your tankard and shit on your table. Be sure to leave a candle lit for me.

Take this outside.
Settle this outside.
Who the fuck are you to advise me, eh?
Someone with better manners. You insult Bran’s memory and Crach’s hospitality with this.

Emperor would be very pleased to hear you quarrel.
His Imperial Majesty is more than welcome to visit.
Let ‘im sail over here. We ain’t afeard o’ the Black Ones.
Raiding coastal villages is one thing. Total war with the empire is another.
Awfully mouthy, this one. Go stir your cauldron and pierce some boils, witch. Don’t talk when you haven’t got a fuckin’ clue.

First of all, it's still a feast for a funeral, so it would be disrespectful, that's why it would be better to just take this outside. She even emphasizes with Geralt's reaction here. Here you can also see her allegiance to Nilfgaard, none. She even says that the Emperor would be pleased to hear that the Skelligan are in quarrel. If she would be for Nilfgaard, she would even force such quarrels, but she doesn't, she does the opposite, trying to explain to them that this isn't reasonable and will hurt them in the long run against Nilfgaard, ...

...but if it gets personally...

Gone too far, Lugos.
Know what, Lugos? Just realized I don’t give a damn about your hallowed rules of hospitality.
Finally! Some diversion! And here I was ready to puke from all the boredom.
Come on, freak. Show us what you’re made of!
Move the benches! There’s to be some gob slappin’!

Let’s calm down.
Calm down, Lugos.
No wench’ll teach me how to fight.
That was not my intention.
Come, Geralt, I believe this discussion’s run its course.

While Yennefer is a strong-willed woman, Geralt will still hurt those, who hurt her, even if it is just badmouthing her. But there was a section in the books...

Blood of Elves
But I will tell you something else so you have something to think about on your way to hell. I already know where to find the little bastard you were looking after. And I know where to find that witch of yours, Yennefer. My patrons don’t care about her but I bear the whore a personal grudge. As soon as I’ve finished with you, I’m going after her. I’ll see to it that she regrets her tricks with fire. Oh, yes, she is going to regret them. For a very long time.”
“You shouldn’t have said that.” The witcher smiled nastily, feeling the euphoria of battle aroused by the elixir, reacting with adrenalin. “Before you said that, you still had a chance to live. Now you don’t.”

“You’ve already received a present from Yennefer,” he uttered in a hoarse voice. “Now you’re getting one from me.”
He struck once more. The sorcerer’s head bounced up; blood spurted onto the witcher’s forehead and cheeks. Geralt was slightly surprised – he had not felt any pain but had, no doubt, been injured in the fight. It was his blood. He did not bother nor did he have time to look for the wound and take care of it. He unclenched his fist and walloped Rience once more.
Rience spat blood at him. The witcher struck him yet again.
Geralt gripped the knife. He was angry. Very angry.

Had enough?
Argh, aah, ye got me good. That were quite a wallop. Still seein’ spots… Room’ rockin’ like a leaky tub in a hurricane.
We’ll call it even, then, soon as you apologize to the Lady.

(that glance)
Don’t hold it against me, m’lady. It’s my deep conviction sorceresses’re needed, deeply so.
No offense taken. Forget about it.
That I like. And the knockin’ – it’s what men do. Gimme your paw, witcher, lemme sequeeze. It’s a worthy one.
Witcher, have a drink with me. Proof there’s no hard feelings.
And visit me atimes, I insist. Jorund’s been jabberin’ about bringin’ in a witcher for that haunted lighthouse.
Do me favor, meet ‘im for an ale at the tavern near Arinbjorn. Then you’ve but a short jaunt to find me so’s we can knock back somethin’ stronger.
Here’s to out next!

Can’t.
No Hard feelings, but we’ll have to drink another time.
Yes. We’ve important discussions ahead.
You land rats are all the same – afeard o’ your wenches.

- Interlude -
So what exactly happens, if you drink at every opportunity? This happens:

Let’s drink.
To Cerys!
Pass the mead and a tankard for the man!
To Bran! May he want for nothing in the world beyond!
To my beautiful companion!

To Bran.
Come, Geralt.

Holger… To your health, especially that black hand!
Now I’ve a toast. May the emperor of Nilfgaard’s prick stay as soft as a noodle, so there’ll be no foul spawn to take his place on the throne!
We should go.

To Bran.
To Bran.
Geralt, I need you to be sober.

May your futures not be as black as they look!
Hjort, the pain returns to my head. Once again, it starts.
We’ll leave you alone.

Sure, I’ll knock one back with you, Lugos.
Geralt, I’d have nothing against you drinking yourself stupid if we had nothing important planned…
Drink like you fight, and we’re in for a good time. To Bran!
To Jarl Madman Lugos and his madness!
Forgive us. We should mingle, talk to some of the other guests.
She isn't exactly mad, she is just disappointed that you rather drink instead of keeping sober for such an important talk with Crach later.

Just compare this:

wtih this:

Proudness vs. Disappointment.

She even tells Geralt that she doesn't have anything against him drinking, but this time they have important things to do.

- end of the interlude -

to be continued...

Attachments

• kaer-trolde-wake.doc
    63 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
...continuation

What now?
Now we pay a visit to Ermion’s laboratory.
Didn’t know we’d been invited.
Because we’ve not been.

Let’s go.
Take it Ermion won’t be there?
That’s right.
And what’s the purpose of this visit?
We’re looking for an object – the Mask of Uroboros. We’ll need it.

We shouldn’t.
We shouldn’t be breaking into Ermion’s workshop.
If I didn’t know you better I’d say you needed to grow a pair. But I know that you simply enjoy complaining – it’s the only reason you said that.
Why would we go there?
To retrieve an item – the Mask of Uroboros. We’ll need it and, therefore, must steal it.
Right, ‘course.
What's next? Ermion's lab? Why?
She doesn't want to tell him now, because she knows he wouldn't really agree, but once he will see for what they need it, he will understand.

Again, if you say something, she doesn't expect from you, you get an answer with a comment about how strange you are.

"If I didn't know you better I'd say you needed to grow a pair." She knows him better than the player playing him, she knows the canon Geralt wouldn't be a justice knight, "no, we mustn't do that, it's not justice, it's against the law."

But she also tells you the truth here that they are going to steal it, because otherwise they won't get it.

You learn more about her and about Geralt himself, when you don't pick the dialogue options that would be natural for him.

Why wouldn't he trust her and accompany her? She has always a reason for what she does and not once she has a bad reason for it.

Come, Geralt.
Now you’ll tell me why you need this mask.
Oh, I shall. In due course.
Take you’ll decide when.
Correct.

Footsteps.

Sh.. Guards.
Hide behind the tapestry.

That was close.
Mhm.

This’ll be tough to open.
Surprises never end. See the ravens?
Hard not to.
Ermion’s spies.
An indication that we’re near his laboratory. I also sense a clear magic aura.
Come. There’s a ledge outside this window. We must pass along it.

Seen uglier sights in my life.
Geralt of Rivia, being romantic.

Amazing how a hobby can render a man mysterious, fascinating.
Especially a druid. Must be a real nature lover.

Looks alive.

Had one at Kaer Morhen.
Please.

A hunter’d loose an arrow if he saw that in the woods.

A basin of water…?
For teleprojection.
A reflection of Ermion appears on the surface, supplicants speak to it.

Those remarks

Aaa...
Are you all right?
Cut myself. The door’s locked.
The animals – they’re alive! Yen, watch out!
Monsters… Can feel ‘em… Coming closer… They’re everywhere.
That’s one less!
Strange… smells of mushrooms in here.
No… To my mind it’s the scent of sweet grass drying in the sun.
Shit.

What’s happening?
You were hallucinating. You ran at Ermion’s animals, sword flailing, I had to calm you.

Must’ve looked funny.

Uh, must’ve looked strange.

Your years of vigorous training at Kaer Morhen finally paid off. Bested nearly all the stuffed beasts in here.

Please…

Fine. We’ve passed the Trial of Taxidermy. The door stands open.

We never mention this again.
Mind if we, uh, never mention this again?
Naturally.
Door’s open. We’ll proceed as soon as you’ve collected trophies of your kills.

Okay, the first one is much more funnier

And again you can see a cheeful and funny Yennefer, someone you don't see often, and you only see together with Geralt, noone else (except Ciri...).

Let’s go inside, Geralt.
I’ll lock the entrance. We don’t want to raise suspicions.
Ah, our dear druid’s laboratory. We must search it thoroughly. The Mask of Uroboros must be here.
“Wondrous World of Insectoids,” “Ritual Plants” …Ah, what do you know – “Raymond Maarloeve – A Biography Enhanced.”

Letter bearing Ermion’s seal… To the druids. Warns them about you.
“… that brazen manipulator?”
Hrmph. The shameless schemer.
prejudices and prejudices, just like on the web...

But Geralt also knows what such a reputation means.

Seems Ermion has real tobacco brought in.

Skelliger’s tales about the Wild Hunt..
The islanders believe the wraiths sail on a longship built of the claws of dead men.
Knowledge about myths.

Dwarven triple mead.

Goes in for light reading too. “The Corpse of Novigrad” by Sasha Hahdy.

Laboratory worthy of an imperial alchemist.

A goat carved out of linden wood. Signed: “To Uncle Ermion.”

Little Ciri’s handiwork. That’s what she called him when he was her tutor.
Listen to her voice here, when did you ever hear her saying someting like this? Only here about Ciri, her motherly side shows up for a second.

A sword in a stone… Thing’s begging me to pull it out.
t’s not in the stone, don’t you see? It’s held there by a vise.
The reasonable woman.

Look at this – a detailed map of the Northern Kingdoms. Even shows spheres of influence over the ages...
Out of date.
The political woman.

Ermion’s wand. He’s one of the few druids to use one.

Ermion enjoys jests achieved at the expense of others. I’ve a sneaking suspicion the mask will be in here.

Geralt, come here! I’ve found the mask!
This is it!
We’ve got it. We must return to the feast quickly, before…
Careful, now!

-fight-
It’s a trap! We’re imprisoned!
Damnit!
-fight end-

Geralt. Heart that?
Smelled it. Gas.
Grate’s still closed. Gotta think of something quick.

The damned druid will poison us! This vapor’s deadly, we’ve but a few minutes!
Teleport us outta here.
Think of something! Quickly! First thing to come to your mind!

We’re gonna choke and die.
-
No-no, even though it's a nice reference to the books, in The Last Wish they also get teleported into a feast and crash onto a table, just like here, but who wants to see that, if you can see the following...

Damn, I wanna kiss you, Yen.
Hold on tight!
Hm.
Damn. I tore a hole in my dress. Wait a minute, I must mend it.
Know how to sew?
Please. I’ll enchant a needle.

Wouldn’t mind watching…
Wait
For what?
We must talk to Crach.
Why? Think he misses us? Because I missed you.

Even though she can finally have an intimate moment with Geralt, she thinks first of their obligations, but in the end she can't resist him

Oh no.
I missed you too.

When are you gonna finally burn this piece of junk?
My heart couldn’t take it.
So many memories.
Dammit, Geralt. Do you have any idea how much they cost?

Come here. We gotta hurry. Crach’s waiting.
Is that so?

Yen, let go of the mane.
I know you. I let go – you throw us off.
*laughter*
Don’t even try.

My oh my.
Missed you.
I missed you too.

We oughta get back to the wake.
I must dress. Turn around.

Now it's Geralt who thinks of their obligations.

Anyway such a great scene and not just because of the sex, but because of the whole ambience, atmosphere and the interaction between those two.

This is also the final moment where they finally have each other again, to this point they missed each other and now they finally found each other again. She missed this Geralt and Geralt missed this Yennefer.

You can see that they really missed each other, in their voices, their faces, their stance, their tone, they gesture and glances and they finally found each other again:

Time of Contempt
‘What, Yen?’
‘Love me.’
He embraced her. And touched her. And found her. Yennefer, in some astonishing way hard and soft at the same time, sighed loudly. The words they had uttered broke off, perished among the sighs and quickened breaths, ceased to have any meaning and were dissipated. So they remained silent, and focused on the search for one another, on the search for the truth. They searched for a long time, lovingly and very thoroughly, fearful of needless haste, recklessness and nonchalance. They searched vigorously, intensively and passionately, fearful of needless self-doubt and indecision. They searched cautiously, fearful of needless tactlessness.
They found one another, conquered their fear and, a moment later, found the truth, which exploded under their eyelids with a terrible, blinding clarity, tore apart the lips pursed in determination with a moan. Then time shuddered spasmodically and froze, everything vanished, and touch became the only functioning sense.
An eternity passed, reality returned and time shuddered once more and set off again, slowly, ponderously, like a great, fully laden cart. Geralt looked through the window. The moon was still hanging in the sky, although what had just happened ought in principle to have struck it down from the sky.
‘Oh heavens, oh heavens,’ said Yennefer much later, slowly wiping a tear from her cheek.
They lay still among the dishevelled sheets, among thrills, among steaming warmth and waning happiness and among silence, and all around whirled vague darkness, permeated by the scent of the night and the voices of cicadas. Geralt knew that, in moments like this, the enchantress’s telepathic abilities were sharpened and very powerful, so he thought about beautiful matters and beautiful things. About things which would give her joy. About the exploding brightness of the sunrise. About fog suspended over a mountain lake at dawn. About crystal waterfalls, with salmon leaping up them, gleaming as though made of solid silver. About warm drops of rain hitting burdock leaves, heavy with dew. He thought for her and Yennefer smiled, listening to his thoughts. The smile quivered on her cheek along with the crescent shadows of her eyelashes.

Just like in the books :heart:

We should get back to the wake.
Really wonder if Crach’ll be willing to help…
He knew Ciri well. She and Hjalmar played together as children.
There. Good as new.
Let’s get back to the wake.
Geralt would never reject such an opportunity

Crach an Craite asked about you.
We went out… for a breath of fresh air.
Ahem, the claimants to the throne will step forth in a moment.

And this ends the real reunion, the real introduction of Yennefer AND Geralt, and it ends with this happy and satisfied faces:

And I probably also grinned like an idiot after those scenes

What’s got into her?
She’s your daughter, is she not?
Now I know why she said she’ll sail to Spikeroog. Ah, children! The older they grow, the more trouble they are.
Come with me. All the more essential we talk now.
Like father/mother, like daughter.

How was it, Geralt, when Ciri was nearing womanhood?
I remember well her nan, her mother… what they were like. They say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree…
Ciri was impossible to control. No telling her what to do. Had to have things her own way, almost always. Why do you ask?
No specific reason. She and Cerys – they’re of a similar age. But we’ll speak of my children alter. First, let’s speak of yours. Yennefer claims Ciri’s in trouble, and you seek her.
That’s right.
If you require aid – gold, ships, anything – merely say the word. I’ll give you all I can.
And I know the lass lives. I’m sure of it. When the blood of Rhiannon’s daughters is shed, the sea grows white with fury. I’d mark such a storm.

Need your help with Ermion.
Need your Help. Ciri probably came here to Skellige…
And very likely caused the cataclysm along the coast. The Site upon which the druids focus so intensely now.
A site Ermion refuses to let us explore.
Specifically, he won’t let me explore it. We fought, we’re not friendly now.

We know where Ciri might’ve been.
Magic anomaly on Ard Skellig’s somehow related to Ciri, or so Yennefer believes.
It’s my strong suspicion. But I can only know for certain by examining the site.
I saw the twisted forms – right unnatural. The druids were barely able to contain it. Explain to me, Yennefer, how Ciri might’ve caused this great catastrophe.
I’m intent on learning that very thing. Which I will do as soon as Ermion stops hindering my investigation.

Don’t concern yourself with him. Druids have little trust for mages, but Ermion’s heart is in the right place. Am I right to assume he does not know you seek Ciri?
It’s of no concern to him.
As I thought. At any rate, Ard Skellig’s my isle. You’ve my permission to investigate as you see fit.

Thank you.
Thank you.

Do I need to talk to him?
Wondering If I should talk to Ermion.
Leave that to me. Go, seek and find your Cirilla.
If any ill befell her here, on Ard Skellig, on my watch, I’d never forgive myself.
Thank you.

No need. I swore an oath once. I am to keep it.

The first option signals that they are together in this, "we need your help", Yennefer is certain that Ciri was the cause and so does Geralt, too, because he trusts and believe Yennefer. "Ermion refuses to let us explore it".

The second option suggests that you don't 100% believes/trusts Yennefer, "or so Yennefer believes".

Again, why whould Geralt distrust her? She is one of the few people he can trust 100%, especially concerning Ciri.

Aye. Dozens of refugees have. The giant drove everyone off the isle. I’ve welcome what remains of Clan Tordarroch here on Ard Skellige.
I heard a rumor – that an unnatural frost gripped Undvik before the giant appeared.
Tis true. At yn rate, Hjalmar decided to kill the giant and give the isle back to its people. A deed worthy of a king, he believes.

You should start at the New Port. Ask around. Hjalmar might’ve told someone there his plans.

Now that we’re done thanking one another, let’s get to work. We must determine if Ciri is still on Ard Skellig.
I’ll change into travel attire and find you.
Head south. The anomaly we should investigate destroyed a stretch of forest along the shore of the bay.
A successful feast on all counts, Crach. I will see you later.
*teleports away*

Fun is over, there is work to do.

And this concludes it, the actually introduction of her, but also their relationship. There is probably much more between those lines, would be nice to see how others see those dialogues.

Next stop? Echoes of the Past.

I agree with the OP that Yen's attitude is not so different than Geralt's. But maybe Yen turns a lot of people off just because she is so self assured and some might say manly? She has such a strong personality that Geralt almost looks like the more compassionate and feminine in the relationship. With Triss, it's the other way around.

Guest 3842753

Reference to the books, when Geralt meets Yennefer for the very first time, he brings her apple juice, just because of that, she listened to his appeal and so their fateful relationship started.

I wonder if the apple juice is a bookend reference to when G/Y are in the afterlife on the Isle of Avallach (aka Isle of Avalon, aka Island of Apple Trees).

It certainly fits with the theme that Sapkowski visits many times, given his admiration of Arthurian legend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the OP that Yen's attitude is not so different than Geralt's. But maybe Yen turns a lot of people off just because she is so self assured and some might say manly? She has such a strong personality that Geralt almost looks like the more compassionate and feminine in the relationship. With Triss, it's the other way around.

You talk about superiority and submission about who is leading, Think like that is dangerous, even more if you sense Triss or Geralt like that...

But in the game CDPR failed to show Geralt with a Guideline, that is a shame for me because in the books he is not as passive as he is in game.

In game i don't like Geralt because of that, he is too passive and stupid, he looks like a Butler for NPC who predominantly don't care about him, only 2 or 3 times he can do a quest before someone told him or Her. And I don't talk about Contracts.

How CDPR thought about Geralt, this is not The Geralt i want to see in a game ?

Can we back up a little ? I only am asking this because there is on piece of info missing and I am assuming most have played Witcher 2 but more of an oversight I think by developers . This would revolve around the first meeting and some of the smaller dialogues later in the game . If you talked to Letho in the second game you get a lot of back ground concerning Yen . We don't know how long it took for Yen to get her sanity back . This was something I forgot about but would also help explain some of the perceived coldness in the beginning then why in Vizima there was a little more warmth . Geralt's comment of it being two years is more callous if you take in to account he has an idea of what she went through . As sure as Yen is about herself she was unsure of Geralt in that first meeting ten to one she pretty much knows what Geralt was up to during those two years . The thing is that two years wasn't a period of time she had free reign between recovery and being under the Emperor's thumb bad move questioning those two years .

Love everything so far but needed to make this point on fourth play through it is something that helps put a little bit more context to some of the slow beginning in the warmth department .

I dreamt of Kaer Morhen…
Started in the guest room at Kaer Morhen. I was relaxing in the tub, and next to me…
Triss?
Yennefer. Funny, isn’t it? She’s never been there. Seemed so real in my dream, though.
Was she nagging you about something?

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out - But there is a little mistake in here.

Yennefer has been a guest at Kaer Morhen many times - I believe it's in Blood of Elves in the first chapter.

Found it:

'You know the way. I guess you used to be... a guest there...?'

Yennefer turned away. Dandelion saw her lips pinch, the muscles in her cheek quiver.

'Yes, in the past,' she said and there was something elusive in her voice. 'I used to be a guest there. But never uninvited.'

Last edited:
Yeah, its a bit strange, when Geralt claims that Yen wasn't never be in Kaer Morhen. (She wasn't there with Ciri. It's true. But she visited Kaer Morhen. This pointed in books several times).

It's an odd discrepancy which really gets on my nerves ahaha.

@Wasaabii28, clear some space in your inbox yo' I ain't finished with you yet {:<

Last edited:
More from dialogue with Yen and Dandelion:

'I've noticed.' He grimaced and rubbed his aching shoulder. 'And that is precisely why I believe Geralt should be warned. You are the only one who knows where to look for him. You know the way. I guess you used to be ... a guest there . . . ?'
Yennefer turned away. Dandilion saw her lips pinch, the muscles in her cheek quiver.
'Yes, in the past,' she said and there was something elusive and strange in her voice. 'I used to be a guest there, sometimes. But never uninvited.'

:areukiddingme::
What? No! ​No! ​No! Lie, lie, lie!

:lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom