Explaining Yennefer's behaviour in the game (with a canon Geralt as partner)

+
I have to disagree in this one. Yenn's main concern is finding Ciri: and Emhyr is just a convenient companion: she will play the submissive sorceress in the court just as long as Emhyr help will be important and she feels that role will be the most efficient way to get her objetives.

True but like I said sort of speak Yen's motivations for finding Ciri are her own but Emhyr gives her the extra I want results speech so full speed ahead . I think this just gives her no way out her love for Ciri and a person with holding a gun to your head saying do this , find Ciri for me . I feel Yen has no option to try more ethical means .

As a player (trying to roleplay book Geralt), I have two main concerns against Yennefer's behaviour during the Mask quest. First one is the lack of respect with Skellige customs, in this case, the Mask is not only a magic object, but a Relic with a religious meaning for the islanders. In this regard, the tw3-Yenn behaves remarkly different from Yenn-from-the-books in a similar situation, when she "humillates" herself with a ritual/ceremony in which she doesnt belive in order to get a similar object (something very useful for her to find Ciri but with religiuos meaning for the skelligers). The second one it's the risk that Yenn assumes when she uses the mask, not only for her but for the habitants of the archipelago. The fact that she isn't sure of the side-effects of the activation is noteworthy here,but in this case I can find a similar behaviour in the books; I'm talking about her reckless assault of Vilgefortz hideout: when reading the books I always cry aloud in this momment "For Melitele's tits, could you find Geralt and do this together!". Which incidentaly is exactly what she does in TW3, But in that situation, it's true the risks are personal, while in the Mask affaire are not.

Said that, I am not arguing that Yenn behaviour in TW3 is OOC, just trying to establish some parallelisms with books. When playing TW3 for first time, I got from Yenn a strong vibre of "strong-willed, determinated mother, ready to take risks and assume the consecuences" which I understand is something completely in character

Yennefer don't believe in Gods. She is more like scientist who knows to much to believe in mystical powers. Almost everything in the world she know has logical explanation. And you are wrong about similar scene in the books. She haven't participated in ceremony she just agreed to stay there during their ceremony and was thinking about other things. Her dream about godness has nothing to do with her attitude toward religions and Gods. Same with Gerald who don't believe in Gods.

And she says to Krah why she don't want to search for Geralt. If you don't remember please re-read this moment because it's very important to understand Yennefer.

Yennefer and Geralt relationship are very funny. Neither of them welcome help from other side. Yennefer hate when Geralt is trying to help her and Geralt hate when Yennefer is trying to help him. THough that doesn't stop them from helping each other but very careful and secretly. Both are very independent and too proud to ask help and hate when help comes when they are not asking for it.

As for effects from using Mask I'm sure Yennefer was aware that this item can't destroy world or even Skelige. It's just religion bulshit a very old legend with perverted meaning. For a woman who knows that Earth is round and what Sun really is and archimagister of magic you can't expect to believe that some old mask could destroy world. Leave this to druids and Skelige folks.

Guest 3842753

Yennefer don't believe in Gods. She is more like scientist who knows to much to believe in mystical powers. Almost everything in the world she know has logical explanation.

Mages do have a more logical understanding of the world. Dandelion's response here reflects the general populace's ignorance

(Sword of Destiny)
Dandelion: "I think the lowest depths of the bloody ocean hide an enormous monster, a revolting
scaly beast, a huge toad with horns on its repulsive face. From time to time, he swallows the
water along with everything that lives in it: fish, seals, turtles, everything. After he swallows
it all, he makes water: that's the tide. What do you think?"

Geralt: "I think you're a complete idiot. Yennefer explained to me once that the tides are
linked to the moon."

Dandelion: "What nonsense! What do the sea and the moon have to do with each other? Only
dogs howl at death under the moon."

As a player (trying to roleplay book Geralt), I have two main concerns against Yennefer's behaviour during the Mask quest. First one is the lack of respect with Skellige customs, in this case, the Mask is not only a magic object, but a Relic with a religious meaning for the islanders. In this regard, the tw3-Yenn behaves remarkly different from Yenn-from-the-books in a similar situation, when she "humillates" herself with a ritual/ceremony in which she doesnt belive in order to get a similar object (something very useful for her to find Ciri but with religiuos meaning for the skelligers). The second one it's the risk that Yenn assumes when she uses the mask, not only for her but for the habitants of the archipelago. The fact that she isn't sure of the side-effects of the activation is noteworthy here,but in this case I can find a similar behaviour in the books; I'm talking about her reckless assault of Vilgefortz hideout: when reading the books I always cry aloud in this momment "For Melitele's tits, could you find Geralt and do this together!". Which incidentaly is exactly what she does in TW3, :) But in that situation, it's true the risks are personal, while in the Mask affaire are not.

Said that, I am not arguing that Yenn behaviour in TW3 is OOC, just trying to establish some parallelisms with books. When playing TW3 for first time, I got from Yenn a strong vibre of "strong-willed, determinated mother, ready to take risks and assume the consecuences" which I understand is something completely in character :)

The points you make regarding the mask are very much the issues i have with her actions.
As you say they reflect her desperation regarding Ciri & i don't view them as out of character but neither do i wholeheartedly agree with them, nor necessarily see Geralt 100% agreeing with her methods even if he agrees with her motivation.

As a player (trying to roleplay book Geralt), I have two main concerns against Yennefer's behaviour during the Mask quest. First one is the lack of respect with Skellige customs, in this case, the Mask is not only a magic object, but a Relic with a religious meaning for the islanders. In this regard, the tw3-Yenn behaves remarkly different from Yenn-from-the-books in a similar situation, when she "humillates" herself with a ritual/ceremony in which she doesnt belive in order to get a similar object (something very useful for her to find Ciri but with religiuos meaning for the skelligers). The second one it's the risk that Yenn assumes when she uses the mask, not only for her but for the habitants of the archipelago. The fact that she isn't sure of the side-effects of the activation is noteworthy here,but in this case I can find a similar behaviour in the books; I'm talking about her reckless assault of Vilgefortz hideout: when reading the books I always cry aloud in this momment "For Melitele's tits, could you find Geralt and do this together!". Which incidentaly is exactly what she does in TW3, :) But in that situation, it's true the risks are personal, while in the Mask affaire are not.

Said that, I am not arguing that Yenn behaviour in TW3 is OOC, just trying to establish some parallelisms with books. When playing TW3 for first time, I got from Yenn a strong vibre of "strong-willed, determinated mother, ready to take risks and assume the consecuences" which I understand is something completely in character :)

So Geralt and Filippa steal the Sunstone, the elves could be angry and kill them for that, because for the Elves that Stone is a Relic. And Nobody except Avallac'h knows what it means.

Same Idea, but it's ok because they want to kill Eredin.

So much Ingenuity, this is so cute.

---------- Updated at 01:13 PM ----------

As for effects from using Mask I'm sure Yennefer was aware that this item can't destroy world or even Skelige. It's just religion bulshit a very old legend with perverted meaning. For a woman who knows that Earth is round and what Sun really is and archimagister of magic you can't expect to believe that some old mask could destroy world. Leave this to druids and Skelige folks.

I don't say it's a religion Bulshit, but it's an old religion, Heathen Religion who Sacrifices Flesh and Bones, sometimes humans, sometimes Beasts for Calm Down their Gods.

Yennefer is more Rational. She has both feets on the ground, that's for sure.

Was the introduction good enough for you? As book reader? As a player?

Short answer: no. And I'm too tired for a long answer. It is how it is. Time to let it go.

If i say, i am not agree with you Because Geralt failed to find her first, fucked up as usual, and Trampled in the mud.

Sometimes you need a kick in the ass to Revive, So Yennefer said something like: " Weak up, Geralt, you're Head is in the Clouds."

She speaks about Geralt not the Gamer, but players have made an amalgam and they took that in Primary level. end of story.

Echoes of the Past

You’re mad, woman! Mad, I say!
Maybe. But I’ve got good reason.
I hold Ciri dear too. You know this! Damned well! But the Mask of Uroboros is no triffle!
Have you any idea what could happen if it is used? Any idea of the consequences?
No, but neither do you. So stop panicking.

"Good reason" again :)

Can hear you two clear on the other side of the island.
Good! May all Skellige know Yennefer of Vengerberg is a common thief!
Control yourself, druid. I haven’t stolen anything. I’ve merely borrowed something and fully intend to return it.
Hah! The generosity! Just one small problem – once used, the mask is rendered completely worthless!
Not to mention the risk you’ll bury us alive! And all the Isles with us!

What’re you talking about?
Bury? What’re you talking about?
She’s not told you? Might’ve expected as much!

Sure you’re not overreacting?
Don’t exaggerate. It’s just—
No, Geralt. This no “just”!

The myth is that Uroboros created the Mask when the envious Sea swallowed his beloved.
Unable to bear the prospect that he would never again see his betrothed, Uroboros made the Mask, which would allow him to peer into the past.
He knew, however, that he could only use it once. So he waited. Waited until his longing grew so strong that it became unbearable.
When the Sea learned of the Mask, it was quick to respond. It made known its threat that whosoever used the Mask would bring the Sea’s wrath down on them. For in vengeance the Sea would rise and flood all the lands and drown the living.

Anyone ever used it?
So… No one’s ever used the Mask?
No…But…
So you don’t actually know if it works, how it works?
Of course I do. The myths tell me.

How’d you get this mask?
Where’d you get this mask?
Sailors form clan Dimun pulled it from the sea. Near the Njord Trench.
Yeah, but how can you be sure this is Uroboros’ mask?
Its appearance is exactly as described in the myths.

You believe the myths?
Only ignorant fools belittle their significance.
Besides, it’s not the myths that are on trial here! It’s the thief!

The whole fuss about using the mask is almost ridiculous and you know why? Because all it did was causing a stormy rain.

Do you know what Geralt can do later on? Exactly, helping a druid to change the weather to let it rain heavily:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTIH7bkN1WI

Do you also know what negative effects it had? Exactly, foglets, which you have to kill.

"If manipulating the weather carried no risks, they'd not give me peace. Make it rain, make the sun shine. some would want storms, others a sea calm as a pond frozen over..."

So here in this dialogue not the effect of the mask is the crime, but the theft. Changing the weather is not as wondrous as it seems, on the contrary the druids (or even just one) can change the weather at a whim, as long someone covers his ass like Geralt did in that alchemy quest.

It is as Ermion says, "It's the thief!" and not the myths are on trial here. Dealing with the effects of the mask wasn't even such a huge deal, just as we can see later.

In the end the explosion Ciri caused was much more dangerous that what the mask ever caused. The explosion basically destroyed this part of the island including any animals and even present humans, but the mask made just everything wet...

Try to understand Yen.
I’m not about to justify what Yennefer did…
Then don’t!
…but try to understand her.
She’s not doing this to anger you, she’s doing it for Ciri.
I know there are maternal feelings at play, but this is no excuse, no justification.
The Mask of Uroboros belongs to Skellige and should be used for the good of the Isles!
If Yennefer uses it now, it shall lose its power, not to mention—

She did it for Ciri.
On the one hand a theft. On the other, Ciri’s life…
I also care deeply for the girl. I proposed a series of other methods. Yennefer refused to listen!
She claimed they would take too long, whereas she wants, she needs immediate results!
She has always been hot-headed.
True. Least this time she’s got a valid reason for it.
Never mind that she might bring—

We’ve got Crach’s permission.
Theft or no theft, Crach gave us free rein.
First off, this might indeed be his isle, but we the druids watch that no alien magic takes hold here.
Secondly, after the cataclysm occurred, Crach turned to us for help, entrusted this site to our care.
Third—

Here we shouldn't forget for what Geralt is here actually, to find Ciri, because all other leads are dead. So Yen isn't just doing it for Ciri, but because every other lead is dead, making this one the only remaining lead they have, the only remaining chance they have.

As Geralt can say, "valid reason". The worst the mask can cause is a storm, the best it can cause is leading them directly to Ciri.

Not just for Yen, but it should be also a valid reason for Geralt, too. Just think about what you did before this to find any leads to Ciri, so Geralt is already in it a while ago.

Wha… what was that?
No! Yennefer’s used the Mask!
Quickly! Follow me! We must neutralize the Mask, mute its power!

Geralt, watch out!
Great.

What was that?
Unicorns.
Dammit, Yen, I saw the foglets. I meant how’d they get here?
The power of the Mask summoned them.

Ermion says the Mask might cause a natural disaster.
Fortunate he’s here then. He can jump right in, try to tame it.
Realize he won’t let this pass?
Oh, I’ll survive, somehow.

What now?
The Mask reveals the past, but only in certain places.
Places where past events left a strong magical imprint.
Take it.

Want me to wear it.
Yes. I’ll cast a spell that will let me see through your eyes.

Gonna read my mind?
Gonna read my mind again?
You object?

Nope.
You do it whenever you want anyway.
No harm in it then, is there?

Yes.
You know I don’t like it.
Let it go. I just want to see what happened.
Besides, you know there are things I’d rather not know about you…

Let’s go
Well, let’s go.
This way.

Did you realize how angry Geralt actually is and that he actually shows that to Yennefer?

Just seconds ago you were defending her/your cause to find Ciri, but now he is angry with her? Why? Because he can.

Imagine anyone else doing and saying this to Yennefer, do you really think she would tolerate that by anyone? No, but because it's Geralt, he can do it, telling her his opinion. The next quest will show it even clearer.

The next thing is the wicked humor she shows, again quite similar to how Geralt reacts to things.

And now the reading the mind thing, sigh. I don't really understand why it is here anyway, as it doesn't matter in this moment, as she says she wants to see what he sees. It's clear that the game wants you to "play the game", so of course you get the mask, so you can use it. She could have easily used it on her own, but since it's a game, the player has to do it.

But the really annoying thing here is the suggested behaviour that only Yennefer would read his mind and that he clearly hates it. Both assumptions are bluntly wrong, but you already know that, if you have read the books.

First of all Yennefer isn't the only one, who can read minds, actually every good sorcerer can do that, EVERY SINGLE ONE, and they do it ALL THE TIME WITH EVERYONE. They learn this at school!
It doesn't matter who you are, a commoner, a witcher or even a king, if they want to read your mind, they will. So no, Yennefer is not the only one reading Geralt's mind, but while he really dislikes it, she is the only one allowed to do it, at least when Geralt is prepared for it :)

Vilgefortz brushed down his jerkin, straightened his cuffs, looked at the Witcher and read his mind.

This is what you think, you sanctimonious purple pig, thougth Philippa Eilhart, effortlessly reading the hierarch’s mind. Do you want to rule, do you want to dictate and influence? Would you like to decide? Never! The only thing you can decide about is your haemorrhoids and even that is on your own ass, and you decisions there will not be relevant either.

Fringilla seemed to read his [Geralt's] thoughts.

‘Don’t leave here so quickly,’ Fringilla Vigo said suddenly, sipping from a cup. ‘Even if you prefer to run away, none of this will.’
‘Please, do not read my thoughts.’
‘Sorry. They were so strong that I read them involuntarily.’
‘I don’t know how many times I have heard that.’
‘I myself don’t know how many times I know. ....

Time of Contempt [1/2]
Geralt knew what to expect, so with stoical calm he endured the glances of the enchantresses, brimming with insalubrious curiosity, and the enigmatic smirks of the sorcerers. Although Yennefer assured him that propriety and tact forbade the use of magic at this kind of event, he didn’t believe the mages were capable of restraining themselves, particularly since Yennefer was provocatively thrusting him into the limelight. And he was right not to believe. He felt his medallion vibrating several times, and the pricking of magical impulses. Some sorcerers, or more precisely some enchantresses, brazenly tried to read his thoughts. He was prepared for that, knew what was happening, and knew how to respond. He looked at Yennefer walking alongside him, at white-and-black-and-diamond Yennefer, with her raven hair and violet eyes, and the sorcerers trying to sound him out became unsettled and disorientated; confronted with his blissful satisfaction, they were clearly losing their composure and poise. Yes, he answered in his thoughts, you’re not mistaken. There is only she, Yennefer, at my side, here and now, and only she matters. Here and now. And what she was long ago, where she was long ago and who she was with long ago doesn’t have any, doesn’t have the slightest, importance. Now she’s with me, here, among you all. With me, with no one else. That’s what I’m thinking right now, thinking only about her, thinking endlessly about her, smelling the scent of her perfume and the warmth of her body. And you can all choke on your envy.
The enchantress squeezed his forearm firmly and moved closer to his side.
‘Thank you,’ she murmured, guiding him towards the tables once again. ‘But without such excessive ostentation, if you don’t mind.’
‘Do you mages always take sincerity for ostentation? Is that why you don’t believe in sincerity, even when you read it in someone’s mind?’
‘Yes. That is why.’
‘But you still thank me?’
‘Because I believe you,’ she said, squeezing his arm even tighter...

The thing is while he obviously doesn't like it, it became a way to show her what he thinks and feels towards her. While he was unable to say it, he could just think of it and tell it her this way. Just think about what happened when you meet Yennefer at Kaer Trolde:

Wanna run away with you, spend some time alone.
Haven’t seen each other in two years. I want a solitary cottage by the sea. I wanna lock myself inside with you, stay there for a week.
What would we do there for a week?
Got so many ideas…
The one with the rope you use for trophies, that one seems interesting.

Reading my mind?
Reading my mind again?
Mhm. What’s more, I like what I see.
It became a way to communicate between each other, onesided sure, but Geralt even started to think for her:

They lay still among the dishevelled sheets, among thrills, among steaming warmth and waning happiness and among silence, and all around whirled vague darkness, permeated by the scent of the night and the voices of cicadas. Geralt knew that, in moments like this, the enchantress’s telepathic abilities were sharpened and very powerful, so he thought about beautiful matters and beautiful things. About things which would give her joy. About the exploding brightness of the sunrise. About fog suspended over a mountain lake at dawn. About crystal waterfalls, with salmon leaping up them, gleaming as though made of solid silver. About warm drops of rain hitting burdock leaves, heavy with dew.
He thought for her and Yennefer smiled, listening to his thoughts. The smile quivered on her cheek along with the crescent shadows of her eyelashes.

‘A home?’ asked Yennefer suddenly. ‘What home? Do you have a home? You want to build a home? Oh . . . I’m sorry. I shouldn’t . . .’
He was quiet. He was angry with himself. As he had been thinking for her, he had accidentally allowed her to read a thought about herself.
‘A pretty dream,’ said Yennefer, stroking him lightly on the shoulder. ‘A home. A house built with your own hands, and you and I in that house. You would keep horses and sheep, and I would have a little garden, cook food and card wool, which we would take to market. With the pennies earned from selling the wool and various crops we would buy what we needed; let’s say some copper cauldrons and an iron rake. Every now and then, Ciri would visit us with her husband and three children, and Triss Merigold would occasionally look in, to stay for a few days. We’d grow old together, beautifully and with dignity. And should I ever get bored, you would play for me in the evening on your homemade bagpipes. Playing the bagpipes – as everyone knows – is the best remedy for depression.’
The Witcher said nothing. The enchantress cleared her throat softly.
‘I’m sorry,’ she said, a moment later. He got up on an elbow, leaned across and kissed her. She moved suddenly, and hugged him. Wordlessly.

She is sorry for having read what she shouldn't have, she isn't doing it on purpose, she even tells you in the game that there are some things (now...) that she doesn't even want to know (surprisingly...) and now to finish the quote above to show how important those mind reading talks and the actually talks are:

Time of Contempt [2/2]
....and picking up a plate. ‘Give me a little salmon, Witcher. And some crab.’
‘These crabs are from Poviss. They were probably caught a month ago; and it’s really hot right now. Aren’t you worried . . . ?’
‘These crabs,’ she interrupted, ‘were still creeping along the seabed this morning. Teleportation is a wonderful invention.’
‘Indeed,’ he concurred. ‘It ought to be made more widely available, don’t you think?’
‘We’re working on it. Come on, give me some. I’m hungry.’
‘I love you, Yen.’
‘I said drop the ostentation . . .’ she broke off, tossed her head, drew some black curls away from her cheek and opened her violet eyes wide. ‘Geralt! It’s the first time you’ve ever said that!’
‘It can’t be. You’re making fun of me.’
No, no I’m not. You used only to think it, but today you said it.
Is there such a difference?
A huge one.
‘Yen . . .’
‘Don’t talk with your mouth full. I love you too. Haven’t I ever told you? Heavens, you’ll choke! Lift your arms up and I’ll thump you in the back. Take some deep breaths.’
‘Yen . . .’
‘Keep breathing, it’ll soon pass.’
‘Yen!’
‘Yes. I’m repaying sincerity with sincerity.’
‘Are you feeling all right?’
‘I was waiting,’ she said, squeezing lemon on the salmon. ‘It wouldn’t have been proper to react to a declaration made as a thought. I was waiting for the words. I was able to reply, so I replied. I feel wonderful.’

Yennefer is the only one, he lets voluntarily read his mind, the only one. So telling her to stop doing it, is the most unlikeliest event that could ever happen in this regard as this was/is the only way he can tell her what he feels deep inside of him.

Let’s go.
Already found the first spot.

This is the spot. Put on the Mask.
Any instructions?
Keep it on until we’ve seen everything.
And don’t stray far. Telepathy is limited in range.
What’s that? A portal?
Two people emerged from it.
The woman was Ciri.
How can you know?
The way she moved. Like a witcher.
Seems they went that way.
Come, let’s find the next spot.

Watch out!
What was that?
Hmm… A magic explosion of some sort. So powerful even that echo was dangerous. I wager it destroyed the forest.
But Ciri and her companion weren’t harmed… I saw them escape.
Let’s see where to.

Place is creepy. I don’t like it.
Nor do I.
Anyone here when this happened had a slim chance of surviving.
I know what you’re thinking.
But don’t worry. Ciri can take care of herself.

Well? Ready?
Use the Mask.

Someone chased Ciri. See that? Might’ve wounded her.
She escaped. Through another portal.
Know where it led?
Magic residue trail leads to… Velen.
Any chance you can figure out where Ciri’s companion fled to? His portal’s gotta be nearby.
I’ll try to find it. Come.

Don the Mask.
Nice fight.
One repelled the other with powerful magic, then fled through a portal.
A mage?
Most likely.

It’s Ciri’s companion and the one who wounded her.
How do you know?
I don’t. Making an educated guess. They both appeared in the previous visions.
Ciri’s got a powerful ally.

The mage who was with Ciri fled, too. Know where?
Hmm… His trace path leads to Velen as well.. But the target coordinates of his portal differ from those of Ciri’s…
The explosion must have disrupted his teleportation…
Hm, ran into Keira Metz in Velen. Coincidence maybe, but…
She claimed a mage came to her looking for Ciri. Be surprised if it wasn’t the same one.
Hmm… Whoever he is, he grows more interesting by the minute…

May be something left of the one who got hit by the spell.
It’s clearing up.
Ermion must be getting a handle on the weather.
Which means he’ll be free to attack us again.

Are you pleased with yourselves?!
Look at what you’ve brought down on us!
If someone’s death were to help you find Ciri, would you start making human sacrifices as well?!

We’re ready to do anything for Ciri.
Just so happens I’m willing to do anything for some people.
Everyone else, everything else be damned, is that it?!

Calm down, nothing happened.
Relax. Storm’s died down, you’ve clearly got things under control.
For now! But who knows what will be a week or two on!

"I'm willing to do anything for some people" Geralt doesn't just say this, he means it and you can probably guess for whom he will do anything:
Blood of Elves
...And I know where to find that witch of yours, Yennefer. My patrons don’t care about her but I bear the whore a personal grudge. As soon as I’ve finished with you, I’m going after her. I’ll see to it that she regrets her tricks with fire. Oh, yes, she is going to regret them. For a very long time.”
“You shouldn’t have said that.” The witcher smiled nastily, feeling the euphoria of battle aroused by the elixir, reacting with adrenalin. “Before you said that, you still had a chance to live. Now you don’t.”

[...]

“You’ve already received a present from Yennefer,” he uttered in a hoarse voice. “Now you’re getting one from me.”
He struck once more. The sorcerer’s head bounced up; blood spurted onto the witcher’s forehead and cheeks.

[...]

“My destiny,” he said with effort. “My choice… I’ll tell you, Philippa, what I’ve chosen. I won’t allow you to involve Ciri in your dirty machinations. I am warning you. Whoever dares harm Ciri will end up like those four lying there. I won’t swear an oath. I have nothing by which to swear. I simply warn you. You accused me of being a bad guardian, that I don’t know how to protect the child. I will protect her. As best I can. I will kill. I will kill mercilessly…”
“I believe you,” said the magician with a smile.

Geralt isn't a hero nor a good Samaritan, he can do bad things, if he wants to, if it is necessary, especially if it is for those two.

Stop panicking!
Here’s your Mask.
It is worthless. It’s an unwieldy ashtray at best.
I hope you’ve learned something useful at least.
Very.
I’m talking to Geralt. You… You I’ll deal with later.
So?

We think a powerful curse was cast here.
Hmmm… Plausible, considering what happened to the wood.
Do you know upon whom?
Not yet. But we know Ciri was here. She stepped out of a portal. A mage was with her.
Someone chased them, they fought. Ciri was wounded but managed to escape.
Where to?
Velen, probably – the mage opened a portal for her. Then he fought her attacker.
Yes? Is that it?

Got a feeling we’ve found something interesting.
Just need to examine one more thing.

In the vision he went flying in that direction.
Something’s pinned under that tree. Can you…?
I can.

Armor’s clean – no blood, no sword nicks. Ciri’s friend must’ve… What do you call it?
Vaporized him.
Exquisite, the armor… Though the workmanship’s unfamiliar. Can’t even tell where it’s from.
Probably because it belonged to a rider of the Wild Hunt.
What?!
So it’s true… the Wild Hunt… I feared as much.
First here, then on Hindersfjall. What did they want?
They’re looking for Ciri.
But.. why?

Elder Blood flows in Ciri’s veins.
Hmm… ‘Tis true she can trace her lineage clear back to Lara Dorren – which is why the women in her family have always had extraordinary abilities…
But could that truly be so important?
Ciri’s exceptional. She travels between places – her and other worlds. Space is no obstacle for her.
Which is why the Wild Hunt wants to capture her.

Speaking of the Hunt – mentioned it appeared on Hindarsfjall.
Well, it happened at least a fortnight after the cataclysm struck here on Ard Skellig.
The wraiths raided Lofoten, at dusk, in a blizzard.
Itself a strange occurrence for that time of year.
The islanders said the wraiths, they barged into their huts. Killed anyone who resisted, then galloped inland, laughing fiendishly.
Anyone survive?
A dozen or so women and an old man.
Next stop – Hindarsfjall.
I’ll meet you on the bear near Lofoten.

Let’s go together, right now.
Wait. Can’t we go together? Right now?
But you detest being teleported.
Don’t exactly like potions either, but I drink ‘em when I have to.
Mhm… you also drink them when there’s no need at all. Very well, let’s go. Stay close to me.

See you there.

Good luck to you. Inform me once you’ve learned anything new.

I decided to go directly with her, as it became more and more difficult to find Ciri and time was running, it also underlines what Geralt said just seconds ago that he would do anything for her.

All in all I think this quest is misplaced. It seems like this quest was designed for a much more earlier state of the game, before you already know what she did in Velen. This quest and their results are basically worthless, especially if you consider what you "risked" for it. You already knew that she was in Velen, that she has a powerful ally and that she is gone again.

It seems like you were suppose to do this quest much earlier and not so late in the game.

It is also quite ironical that Ermion could have prevent all of this, if he had mentioned that the Wild Hunt was at Hindarsfjall....also a bit surprising that nobody else mentioned this at all nor that Yennefer could find that out before stealing the mask in the first place, but then we wouldn't have those funny and sexy scenes from that quest either :)

So, it wasn't so smart of me to ask what you think about the theft, before actually dealing with this quest, so what do you think about the mind-reading-thing? Especially those who haven't read the books before that.

I think it's a bit unfair that "reading the mind" is only associated with Yennefer, because every good sorcerer can read minds and all of them do it non-stop, and it could be interpretated quite in a negative way, though if you take a step back (and read the books :) ) you will realize that there is more behind that and I think they also tried to show that Geralt and Yen "play" with this, as we have seen at the appointment at Kaer Trolde, however if you don't pay attention to such details, you might miss such things easily.

Next part will be about Lafoten and a certain Garden.

Last edited:
Rather than re quote the wall of text I will give straight answer . The reading mind thing didn't bother me it is nice to know it is common . Now one question is Geralt's mind easy to read or just easy for Yen or if his emotional level make him easier to read ? The impression I got is Yen and Geralt's bond make it easier because Geralt does seem to be able to resist some magic to a point . This would have been a nice way to show more of a bond if Yen said out of the blue don't worry we will find her to answer his thoughts . I this case you are right though Triss should have been able to . Phillipa hints at reading Geralt .

The play through I am doing now I was able to go to Skellige right after Bloody Baron so low and behold the timing was right because I don't remember which conversation it was but there is a line about having to go back to Novigrad . Now I got the Garden and last wish done this seemed like the correct pattern the more fluid conversation wise . I think it you are right about it not fitting right if you go completely Velen , Novigrad , then Skellige .

Last edited:

Guest 3842753

Lilac and gooseberries, of course.
Geralt, stop fingering my toiletries.

Nothing but silver…
Gold clashes with my complexion. You should know that.

She's also combing her hair during this sequence which may be an indirect reference to Sword of Destiny:
"She always combed her hair before going to bed. Geralt thought it strange, but he loved to watch her do it. He suspected that Yennefer knew this."

Before I begin I want to say that this quest design is just great. Different options lead to different outcomes, another quest influences directly the dialogues, depending on whether you have done that quest before or not, not choosing a certain dialogue option leads to a new dialogue and even the order in which you choose the dialogue options changes the dialogue. In my first playthrough I realized none of this, only when I started my 2nd and done some videos to check other dialogue options.
This quest might be not as popular as others, but in terms of choice and influence? Topnotch.

Of course I played all variants, but decided to pick the one, where I didn't do the quest with Morkvag. First of all I went immediately with Yennefer and the second reason is in a canon way, Geralt wouldn't really concern himself with that, because Ciri is more important. Yennefer even remarks on this, if you join her later and not go immediately with her. Of course I will include the different dialogues here as well.

A trip to Hindarsfjall and Freya's Garden

Later
Greetings, Yen.
Good thing you’re here… The Frostbite was starting to set in.

You should’ve worn warmer clothing.
You should’ve dressed warmer.
Mhm. Next you’ll be pinning mittens to my coat. Can we go?
Yeah.

Had something that needed taking care of.
Had a matter to tend to.
A matter that brooked no delay, I presume… What was it? A nekker contract?
Something like that. Can we go?

[If you teleport with her to Hindarsfjall, it jumps directly to this part of the dialogue]
Quite a few years since I was last on Hindarsfjall. But if I remember correctly, Lofoten should be this way.
Yes, in the books there is quite a part about this, showing a lot of Yennefer's personality, dark past and resolution, and it is quite similar to this quest here, however I will come to that later.

Razed huts and fresh graves. Hm, this must be it.
Gathering of some kind… We’ve come at a bad time.
There’s no good time to talk about the Wild Hunt.

Ritual of some kind… We’ll have to wait.
We’ll do no such thing.

Dear sisters… Pardon the interruption, but we’ve an important matter to discuss.
Can you not see we’re commemorating the dead? So…
And we’re looking for someone who’s still alive. Please… This is urgent.
Ugh. Then speak.
The dead are dead, but the living still live, probably. Especially in this quest I wondered about Geralt's resolution about all of this. Shouldn't he know that time is running low? Shouldn't he know that this is the only remaining clue about the whereabouts of Ciri? The last straw? The last remaing trail, because everyone else gone cold? This is the last opportunity to get to know where Ciri is, yet he shows barely any motivation, determination, ambition nor initiative in this quest. This is just the start of the quest, yet this feeling stays until the end of the quest.

It feels like the game wanted to put Geralt into the position of the little angel, while Yennefer becomes a little devil.

Even though Geralt as the player should know that, if this trip isn't successful, it is game over, but only Yennefer seems to understand the gravity of the situation and is resolute enough to pull that off. However this quest also shows something that doesn't really match with how Yennefer acted in the books in the same regard for the same goal.

They say the Wild Hunt destroyed this village…
That is true… Though few believe us. You don’t either, I’m sure.
Did you see riders on skeletal horses? Wearing frost-covered armor?
Aye… That’s how it was… They landed on our shores in a ship made of the claws of dead men… Like in the ballads.
Leif yelled to grab the children… Then they came… cut him ‘cross his face. He tried to whisper… Only blood came out…
You were to ask about someone, not prod their wounds. That’s enough.
What happened then?

Go on
Go on.
I ran out… To get help, to get Leif… But… So many bodies. Jole, Ingvar… Little Nekki…
Which way did the riders go?
Towards the sea… Through the ravine… on horses made of bones… bones and ice… and…
Enough.

Yennefer… Enough.
Yen… Leave her alone.
You don’t understand. If we can learn where—
I understand. And I’m still asking you to stop.
You’re right.
Wait, what? Geralt tells Yennefer to stop and she does it? Contrary to what many people think or believe Geralt is not just subordinate to her, when he says something that is reasonable, she will listen to him, because that's how she is, a reasonable woman.

Just listen to her tone of voice and you know that her motives are led by emotions,

but despite of the situation, how desperate she is and the necessity to hurry up, she still listen to reason and doesn't insist on it, because as she says he is right.

Get to the point. Now.

We're looking for an ashen-haired young woman.
We’re looking for a young woman, name of Ciri. Ashen hair, green eyes…
I’m sorry. She is not here.
Unless she lies in a grave… That is, I do not recall one by that name, but I’ve buried so many… I may have forgotten.
This… This Ciri… Has she a scar? Here, on her cheek?
Yes, yes. What happened to her?
Again her tone.
Don’t know. Saw her but for a moment, right before… before it all. She was in the stables with… Craven.
A thousand curses upon him.

Remember anything else? Anything at all?
Only that she seemed tired. Very tired. And… and her hair was wet.
Great, so we know she bathed. Progress.
Well, still sarcastic though

I’m sorry. Skja—
Craven.
My apologies. Craven. Craven could’ve told you more.

Craven? Who're we talking about?
This Craven you mention… Does he have a name?
He did… Until the elders struck him from the Saga of Ancestors.
It’s as if he has ceased to exist. The law forbids anyone from touching him, speaking to him… Even uttering his name.
What did he do to deserve that?
He fled from the Wild Hunt… He alone!
We need to talk to him… Even if it’s not in keeping with your customs.
You’ve come too late. He went to the garden, to fight Morkvarg.

Cowards don’t usually fight monsters…
A coward who willingly seeks battle… Am I the only one who sees the contradiction?
That’s why he did it. Craven knew he would prove the elders wrong only if he killed Morkvarg.
And thus regain his honor – and his name.
Trial by ordeal. Very Skelligan.
I do not mock your laws – please also respect ours.
So you still remember that dialogue from the feast? When she said that "People make laws, and people can change them." and that their customs are sometimes barbarous. We already saw and heard that she respects life and thinks that it should be treated right and not reckless or ruthless, even though she would do it with her own life for Ciri.

Morkvarg? What’s that?
Morkvarg? What’s that?
Who, you mean…
The vilest man ever to inhabit Skellige. Nothing was ever sacred to him. He attacked his own clan’s lands, took gold from Nilfgaard, killed children, pregnant women…
Mhm. Know the type.
They said he feared only one thing – the wrath of the gods. Morkvarg sought to prove how wrong they were. So he sailed to Hindersfjall to ransack the goddess’ garden. This was over a decade ago.
Arch priestess Ulve stood in his way. He thrust a blade between her ribs and cast her down in the mud. As her lifeblood left her, she cursed him… And Morkvarg transformed into a beast.
A curse, a monster… You’ve got some work to do…

I can rid you of Morkvarg.
I can get rid of Morkvarg. Don’t know what he’s turned into, but a silver sword should do the trick.
It’s not that simple. There have been those who have bested Morkvarg… Yet he always returns.
So, it’s a complex curse… Meaning I need more information.
I understand… But I’ve told you all I know.
Speak with Torador’s son, Einar. He was in the garden when Morkvarg and his men attacked. He saw what happened. Of all the pilgrims there at the time, he alone escaped with his life.
He settled in Larvik. You’ll find him there at the landing, provided he’s not out to sea when you arrive.

I’m not here to work.
I’m not here to work.
I doubt Morkvarg cares. Monsters prowl when they will and where they will.
Fine. He comes within reach of my sword, I’ll deal with him… But only then.
I decided to go with this version, as it would seem to be more proper that Geralt doesn't have time for this, yet if he encounter him, he will deal with him then and only then. When Geralt was looking for Ciri in the books, he also didn't bother to do contracts, but he also didn't ignored people in need, if he encountered them. The reasoning behind Yennefer also seem proper, a monster doesn't care, whether you want or not want to do something and in the end you are what you are Geralt, a monster hunter.

Where is the holy garden?
Where is the holy garden?

Not far from here… North. We cultivated healing herbs there once….
And now?
Now we walk only as far as the tree the goddess planted. We place our offerings and make our please before it.
Those who venture below… remain in the garden, forever.

Thanks for your help
Thanks for your help.
I understand you intend to enter the garden?
I dislike it when foreigners enter the sacred grounds… but so be it.
Custom demands pilgrims make an offering of their own blood before the tree. Craven surely did so… Unless he lacked not only courage but respect for Freya as well.
You needn’t worry about us. Geralt and I always give the gods the respect they are due.
This is a bit misleading.

First she is right, both don't really care about gods or religions. Neither of them is religious nor really believe in such things.

But the problem is, they do respect it. The people who are involved in those cults as their customs and their belief.

Neither of them share their belief, but they never disrespect them, especially Yennefer does everything except disrespecting it, especially the Freya cult.

However the later parts of this quest seem to show another picture and I think a lot of people misjudge it, because they don't know better or misinterpret what the game wanted to show.

-leaving the village-

Worried this trail might’ve gone cold…
Even if Craven’s dead… We’ll manage.
How, exactly?
You’ll see when the time comes.
You could stand to be nicer sometimes.
I suppose… but then I wouldn’t be the woman you fell in love with, would I?
Such an important small talk almost casually mentioned.

"Worried this trail might've gone cold..." Yes Geralt, this might've gone cold and even though you are worried, your dedication to find any clue is seriously lacking, not even mentioning the lack of support for this case.

"Even if Craven's dead... We'll manage - How, exactly? - You'll see when the time comes."
Of course this might be an allusion to the necromancy, but I wouldn't just pin point it at this, but for the whole situation. Whenever there is a problem, you can figure out a solution. It's not a question about whether it is possible, but if you are resolute enough to find a solution and pull it off. She is, she always is.

"You could stand to be nicer sometimes. - I suppose... but then I wouldn't be the woman you fell in love with, would I?!"
And she is right, she is exactly the woman he fell in love with and I am really glad CDPR didn't change her to make her more appealing to the mass, too. Not everybody has to like her, but hating her because of fabricated reasons or just envy is stupid.

My, my… That must be Morkvarg… Quite the appetite.
Mhm. Might even call it wolven…

Hrrr a bite… Just one morrrrrrsel… hrrrr….
And now comes another part, maybe the best, showing the chemistry between those two, their natural behaviour towards each other, they mutual understanding, the same kind of humor (light, dark and sarcastic) and just the same thinking. Almost forgetting why they are here...

He doesn’t seem happy to see us.
Wait till he gets a closer look at me.
So, where shall we start?
Let’s go to that tree the sisters mentioned.
Plant to bleed yourself for the goddess?
Not necessarily. But Craven did… We just might pick up his scent.

Craven was here. Look… the impression – kneeled down on one knee… And cut himself to make the offering. Bloodstains… see them?
No… I may be inhumanly beautiful, but I don’t have superhuman senses. Not like you.
Which is why you should stay up here.
No offense, but in that undergrowth and mud, you’d be like a…
Ball and chain?
Planned to say it gentler, but yeah, that’s basically what I had in mind.
Fine… We’ll do as you say. If the need arises, I can cast spells from up here.

See you later.
Fine… See you later then.
Don’t get hurt. Remember, I need you if I’m to find Ciri.
*silence*
Oh, come on, I was just teasing. Fool. I need you – period. Better?
Mhm. Better.

Expected you to object…

Though you might object…
Me? Please. I can be extraordinarily conciliatory.
Yen, look me in the eye… What’re you plotting?
Many things… How to seize the Temerian crown, how to sell Kaer Morhen out from under you. Go, already.

Well? What is it?

What do you know about this garden?
Whadday know about this garden?
Let me think… That it’s dreadfully overgrown.
Had its history in mind.
They say Freya herself planted it. When the world was young the goddess strode across Skellige, sowing seeds among the rocks. But Uroboros, the snake, bit a hole in her basket.
All her seeds pured from it and landed here. Thus, this garden is bounteous, while the rest of Skellige is barren.
You believe that?
Is that a serious question? Of course not. Favorable microclimate for plant life, end of story.

Transformed into a werewolf… it’s a dog’s life.
To transform into a werewolf… It’s a dog’s life, eh?
Well, there’s not a youth out there who doesn’t have a wolf in his belly.
Then the curse confined him to this garden? Couldn’t really cut his wolf loose.
No question he was top dog here…
Just wolfin’ things down… or not.
Geralt… That’s enough, hm?
Fine. Still had a few good ones at the tip of my tongue.
I’m sure you did. We’ll say you won.
All right. Going back down.
Be careful.
This dialogue... you need to see that in action:

You never see a Yennefer like this ever anywhere, except when Geralt is around. Yes, she smiles from time to time, but there is a trick in real-life how to tell, whether someone laughs from heart or just forced. Whenever someone laughs from heart, unforced, s/he has wrinkles at the corner of his/her eyes.

What does this have to do with Yennefer? She does smile from time to time, but she never smile like this:

except she is with Geralt. Whenever she laughs from heart, she always shows her teeth and that's only with Geralt.

Why? Because she feels comfortable and safe with him, she is able to drop her outer shell and show her inner character, but only with him.

Whenever she is alone with him, the whole atmosphere change, as the world around them doesn't matter for a moment and when this happens, you see dialogues like this with funny remarks, playful teasing, just a good chemistry as they behave naturally.

-Geralt goes around-

No bite marks… Morkvarg doesn’t eat his victims. Strange.
Is it Craven?!
No, this one’s been here a while!
What?! I can’t hear you! If you want to chat, come closer!
Her senses are really dulled…

Claw marks… Craven slammed the door in Morkvarg’s face.
Did you find something?
A trail… leads right to a locked door!
I think you can get around it!

*skipping forward*

Prints lead to the well. Guess Craven didn’t wanna be eaten, preferred to drown.

Roots… So I’m right under Yen. Hey! Can you hear me?
Geralt! You scared me!
Sorry, didn’t mean to.
I hope not! Let me know once you find Craven!

Damn… Dead... has been for a while.
Yen! Found him!
And?
And I’ve seen rotfiends in better condition than this.
Shit…
Fine, scrape together what you can and haul the bits up here!

What’s the point?
Yen… there’s no point…
There’s no point in discussing this through a grate!

I’m guessing you have a plan…

Take it you’ve got a plan?
No, I just like to stare at rotting flesh! [hoho, funny woman]

We’ll talk when you get here, all right?
That’s Yen… charming as ever.

C’mon. Someone wants to meet you.

-cut-

Putrefaction’s set in… but the vocal cords are intact. We might still get something out of him…
Doesn’t look like the talkative type.
[hoho, another funny guy]
Anyone can be made to talk, even a corpse… One must simply know how.
Though necromancy was strictly forbidden.
So is premarital sex. But I’m not about to be bothered by such foolishness.

Black magic is no joke.
-skipped here-
Now it becomes interesting. I didn't even suspect it, I just wanted know what happens in another scene, so I skipped this option without thinking about it, but it resulted surprisingly in a changed dialogue.

But to come back why I didn't include it here, it's why would Geralt lecture her that black magic is no joke? Of course she knows that and Geralt too, why? Because he did something similar in Witcher 2. The whole "black magic/necromancy is bad"-thing is more than exaggerated, especially coming from Geralt, who had no problems doing that for lesser motives in Witcher 2. Their daughter is in danger and now he is doubting this is the right way?

For me personally it feels like this is just an easy way-out for the player, so the player can say "Hell, I didn't do anything in this evil necromancy, it was all Yennefer's doing" Yeah, right, that also explains why he asked what ingredients she needs, because he isn't involved in this and doesn't want answers about the whereabouts of Ciri, too...

Just blame everything on Yennefer, she can take it as usual.

So what happens, if you do choose this option?
Black magic is no joke.
Black magic’s no joke. Casting those spells never ends well. Never.
I don’t like it any more than you do, believe me. But the thought that Ciri is in danger? I like that even less.
I understand. Still doesn’t give us the right to—
Geralt, please. This is not the time to debate ethics.

Need any ingredients for the spell?
Mhm. The blood of a newborn, a virgin’s tongue and the eye of a newt.
Mind trying again, without the sarcasm?
I don’t need a thing. I’m a sorceress, not a village herbalist.
All I need is energy… a great deal of energy. We’re very lucky this place is saturated with magic.
It’s also considered sacred. Priestesses’ll be furious if you use the garden’s Power to revive a corpse.
Geralt, you’re getting on my nerves. I offer you solutions, you try to poke holes in them. [here is another difference]
All the more reason to get it over with before they realize what’s happening.

Fine. Let’s get to work.
Sorry to bother you with my doubts.
Please, Geralt…
That’s just it – your ‘please’ is never a request, only ever a command. But let’s move on.
Let’s get to work.

Just thinking about the consequences. [only occurs, if you decided to lecture her]
I’m not poking holes, just thinking about the consequences. How about you? Given them any thought?
No.
Geralt, I’ll say it again… We’re short on time. Ciri is short on time.
Mhm.
Fine, you busy yourself pouting. I’ll handle the rest.
So what exactly is wrong here? Pretty much everything.

You decide to lecture a 90-ish years old sorceress about magic and what's even worse, you already participated in black magic, in necromancy in the previous game and you had no problem with that.
Instead of helping, you are almost trying to prevent it. You are basically preventing the only way to get information about the whereabouts of Ciri, I don't know if that is really your intention.
"your please is never a request" is not correct. There was not once a moment, when she forced him to do anything. He always had a choice, but the thing is her pleas are almost never incomprehensible, just one example:

Yes, there was/is no point in arguing with her, but was she wrong? No, and that is pretty much always the case, except if you do/say something that makes (more) sense, like at the beginning of this quest, when you tell Yennefer to stop it. She listens to him, because he was for once reasonable, something he lacks quite often.

It's just a piss poor excuse, even Nenneke is pissed off by his behaviour:

"Fine, you busy yourself pouting. I’ll handle the rest." and that's the best, while Geralt is busy nagging, Yennefer gets shit done.

and now back to the normal run.

Mhm. The blood of a newborn, a virgin’s tongue and the eye of a newt.
Mind trying again, without the sarcasm?
I don’t need a thing. I’m a sorceress, not a village herbalist.
All I need is energy… a great deal of energy. We’re very lucky this place is saturated with magic.
It’s also considered sacred. Priestesses’ll be furious if you use the garden’s Power to revive a corpse.
All the more reason to get it over with before they realize what’s happening.
Yeah and this is the part where it is unfair, unnatural and not consisting with what Yennefer from the books would do.

I can understand what the writer(s) intended to show here that she is willing to do everything to find Ciri, but the same also happens in the books and even if she is willing to do anything for her daughter in both cases, she still has respect for such things like the Freya cult. So much respect that she doesn't do anything to disturb it and rather resign than defiling their customs.

Fine. Let’s get to work.
Let’s get to work.

Just thinking about the consequences.
This is ONLY an option, if you tried to lecture her about the black magic. He is basically trying to find excuses to not do it, but this would result in losing the last trail to find Ciri, so seriously, who the fuck is that guy? Is he even interested in finding Ciri anymore?

As I said it feels like they intentionally tried to pass the buck to Yennefer, so Geralt stays "innocent". I tried to be as supportive as I could in this quest and it still feels like I wasn't even remotely useful to find any clue to Ciri, at least not until the very end of the quest.

We’re about to make some enemies.
We are about to make some enemies…
I don’t need everyone to like me. I most value the opinions of those I care about. You, for example.
So… can we start?
Mhm.
Pretty much the first option that really showed any support for this cause and any agreement of what she is doing or will do. It's not Yennefer, who is making enemies, it's them. They are both together in this, because it's their daughter.

"I don’t need everyone to like me. I most value the opinions of those I care about. You, for example." is the perfect description of her. She doesn't care what others think of her, the only one who she cares for her is standing right in front of her and we have seen in this quest before that she will listen to him, if it is reasonable.

Do you also know who doesn't care about what others think about him? Yeah, Geralt. Two of the same kind.

Celain, celain, deffraen!
Celain, celain, davedar!

Aaaaaaach!
Are you Craven of Lofoten?!
Nnn… Nnooooo... Iiiiiii… Haaaaavvvvve…. A naaaaaaammmmmme… Sssssssssskjalll! Skjalllll! Iiiiiii aaaaaammmmmm Skjaaaaallll!

We’re looking for Ciri.
We’re looking for Ciri. Ashen hair, green eyes… Have you seen her?
She… she’s why they cursed me…
I don’t care about that! What happened to her? What was she doing here? Speak!
No…
Speak!
Ach!
Speak!
The sea… she fell… almost drowned…
What became of that creature? Where is he?!
Stop…. Hurts….
What?!
Saw him… at… Donars…But….he…sold…him…
To whom?!
Don’t…know….
Begone.
Tell…theemmm…clean…my…nae….
Begone I say!
Aach!

You died in battle. You’ve recovered your honor.
You died in battle. You’ve recovered--
Geralt, this is not the time to cheer up a corpse.
A young woman, ashen hair, green eyes. What happened to her?

Get your shit together, Geralt. Shows how much Yennefer is dedicated to Ciri, even more as Geralt, if you decide to cheer up a corpse instead of finding clues about your daughter. Makes the lack of Yennefer & Ciri moments even more heartbreaking...
And now something really interesting, you can be either be a douchebag or show sympathy to her. Depending in which order you choose the options, the dialogue changes, however even though there are 3 options to choose first, there are only 2 variations, still very nice.

1. How are you feeling?
Yen… are you all right?
I’m fine now. The spell…
Imagine putting wriggling cockroaches in your mouth… or swimming in manure. That’s more or less how it felt.

2. You could’ve shown a little sympathy.
Could’ve shown some sympathy for the boy. He—
That was no boy, Geralt. It was a hunk of rotting, rancid flesh that spoke through my magic.
Didn’t just speak. It howled in pain.
I know it seemed real… But it was no longer human. Do you understand?

3. What happened to the garden?
What… what happened to the garden?
It died. Like I said… The spell, it requires a great deal of energy.
You knew it would end like this, didn’t you? Didn’t consider it worth mentioning?
No – I knew you’d protest. Your sense of decency is charming, but it does get in the way sometimes.

1. You could’ve shown a little sympathy.
Could’ve shown some sympathy for the boy. He—
That was no boy, Geralt. It was a hunk of rotting, rancid flesh that spoke through my magic.
Didn’t just speak. It howled in pain.
I know it seemed real… But it was no longer human. Do you understand?
Nice of you to be so concerned for the corpse. Much more than you were for me.

2. How are you feeling?
Yen… are you all right?
I’m splendid. I’d feel even better if I hadn’t had to remind you to ask that question.

3. What happened to the garden?
What… what happened to the garden?
It died. Like I said… The spell, it requires a great deal of energy.
You knew it would end like this, didn’t you? Didn’t consider it worth mentioning?
No – I knew you’d protest. Your sense of decency is charming, but it does get in the way sometimes.
In the end it is a matter of trust. Do you trust Yennefer telling the truth? That this boy was no longer a human anymore, just flesh and bones, a rotting thing? It spoke through her magic and only through it, maybe comparable to using electricity on a dead frog to force it to move.

What if the corpse is howling in pain, because it has several flesh wounds, broken bones and is literally eaten partially and now the body is feeling this pain again? It's not the magic that is causing the pain, the magic/electricity is causing the body to move and act.

As I said at the beginning of this thread, there is no reason to distrust her at all, especially concerning her motives and goals regarding Ciri. She might not have said the whole truth here, but only because she knew that Geralt's decency is sometimes hampering him, however decency and Geralt, not exactly two things I would say often in one sentence.

But even though it should be clear, it seems it needs to be said: She is clearly feeling remorseful, bad, ill and absolutely not happy about it either. I can't help but show you something:
This seems to be perfectly fine with many, vengeance:

However this is outrageous:

I don't want to pass the buck now to Triss, I think her reaction is understandable and I like that CDPR finally decided to show a bit more of her "bad girl side" (even though I would have like to see a dispute about the amnesia with her, but that's another topic...), but it's just annoying and really exhausting that people want to glorify one and crucify the other without even reflecting on what and why it actually happened.

Nobody will argue that it wasn't understandable, but it is indeed questionable, whether it was right to kill them, whether it was necessary to kill them.

But using the power of the Garden was necessary to get information about Ciri, an information they wouldn't have get otherwise. There was no way around it. If there was, they (and especially Yennefer) would have done it, at least the one I know from the books would have done it concerning Freya.

Pardon me for pulling here some comparisons, but geez it's so exhausting that one gets a free pass, while the other has to justify every little move she does, to explain it over and over and over again, well, I hope this thread (and others) can help to understand more of her and get rid of those prejudicies, because this is exactly what the common folk in the books and games always did with people like Geralt and Yennefer, judging them without even trying to get to know them. Anyway, I am getting lost in this...

She didn't like it either for a second, yet it had to be done. It was the only way to get the information, the necessary information they needed, without it, it would have been Game Over and Snow Ciri would sleep forever on an island with 7 dwarves. That's why the game doesn't give you the option to choose differently, you are forced to do it, because it is necessary. The only thing you have control of is how you percieve this, either you are entitled to be "innocent" in all of this and only Yennefer is doing the "evil" things or you see the necessity in it and you can understand why it had to be done, even though both of you didn't like it.

to be continued...

Attachments

• Hindarsfjall and Freya's Garden.doc
    46.5 KB · Views: 106
  • black magic dia.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 97
  • done Morkvarg before.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
So great to see others who see the whole Yen / Geralt relationship as I read in the books and the mixed way in parts it has been handled and come across in the game. I cannot criticise CDPR for how they did it mainly because if they hadn't made the 3 games I would not have had the opportunity to read 7 great books involving a gripping saga.
Every play through I have done (now on the 4th) I have never been able to bring myself to pair up with Triss. I did in the first 2 games mainly because it was how they were written and at the time it was very difficult to find English versions of the books to find out the full background story.
But since reading the books there is no way I can even contemplate being with Triss; as Geralt says he only ever thinks of Yen and she is the only woman in whom he loves unconditionally even though he is unsure at times of how to express his emotions.
Thanks Kallelinski your insights and interpretations are a great justice to two very strong characters who are meant to be a partnership. In the Lady of the Lake this is so apparent with how the series ends; I am hoping Andrzej will write another couple of stories about them after their time on Avalon - only because I love the saga.

Thank you for doing this, it's an excellent read.

I'm currently on my second playthrough and as I have with the other Witcher games, am doing the opposite of my first run. As a result, it's a Triss game and I've just completed The Last Wish quest - ouch :( doesn't feel right at all...

A trip to Hindarsfjall and Freya's Garden - Part 2

Let’s get outta here. Now.
Yen… let’s get out of here. Now.
You needn’t ask me twice.

Geralt, I know we should talk… But not here, all right? I don’t wish to stay a moment longer.
The garden… Our garden!
How could you…? We helped… and you—Inconceivable.
Now, now…
Don’t you dare try to calm me. We’ve every right to be furious. Furious! And you… You will pay for this.

We had no choice.
We had no choice. We’d never have learned what happened to our—
Do you really think you’re justified?! That your hunt for a foreign woman gives you the right to destroy our garden?
I’m sure it doesn’t in your eyes.

I’m sorry.
I’m sorry.
Is that all? Will you say nothing else?
Nothing that would help.
"we had no choice"
"...what happened to our---"

It's nice to see that Geralt can at least in the end show that what Yennefer did was necessary and they had no choice otherwise, to show some kind of support, show understanding and not judgement.

I shall make sure all Skellige hears what you did here.
Wait… I did this. I alone. Geralt tried to stop me… I refused to listen.
I might have known. They warned me about you…
Sorceresses.
None shall open their door to you, none shall feed your hunger, and none shall tend to your wounds.
However Yennefer doesn't want that Geralt gets the blame for what she did and even tries to defend him.

-cut-

Yen… you didn’t have to do that.
But I wanted to.
I’d rather not talk about it. We must focus on what Skjall told us.
She doesn't want that Geralt is being blamed for what she did, even though you can share the blame.

But even though her reputation, which was really good before that on Skellige, it isn't important, it's only important what Skjall told them.

We know Ciri’s not in Skellige.
Didn’t learn much. Though… though we can be sure Ciri’s not in Skellige anymore.
Not in Velen or Novigrad, either… She’s disappeared. Again.
Perhaps we should reexamine what we’ve learned. We might’ve missed a clue that would push us forward…
Certainly hope that’s the case.
Ugh. Mkes me wonder what she’s gotten herself into.
Can’t even begin to imagine. But we will pull her out of it, safe and sound. That I promise you.
"We will pull her out of it" no matter what, no ifs, no doubts.

The ugly creature – it’s linked to Ciri somehow.
Key to finding Ciri is that ugly… thing Skjall saw on the beach. That’s what I think.
You know… I saw something… or someone who looked just like that.
Where?
In Velen. At a castle until recently ruled by a self-proclaimed baron. Now controlled by his right hand man, Sergeant Ardal.
You must go and get the creature. I don’t know – buy him, kidnap him…
The thing’s clearly cursed – its mind is a jumble… Can’t have anything resembling a normal conversation with it.
Grumbling won’t get us anywhere. All will be well. A curse? Please. Nothing a sorceress and a witcher couldn’t handle.
Now tell me – do you…? No, never mind.
Without this necromancy they would have never know that there is a correlation between Uma and Ciri.

What is a curse to a sorceress and a witcher? Nothing. As I said, there are no problems, just solutions.

What did you want to say?
You were gonna ask me something. What was it?
Tell me…
Do you think… Is there a chance that thing might be Ciri? That… well… she’s been transformed by some curse?
Don’t even want to think about it.
Geralt… We must.
Might be… From what I know she was looking to cure a powerful curse while in Novigrad.
But I’ll lose it if I try to deal with that possibility now. We have to do what we can… See what happens.
She even goes so far to consider that Ciri is that cursed thing, already preparing for the worst case scenario.

What now?
Ciri’s trail in Skellige – we’ve followed it, exhausted the possibilities… Might be time to go back to the Continent.
Before you do, there’s one thing… It’s important.
What’s that?
Let’s meet in Larvik, at the warriors’ hall. We’ll speak there.

Fine. See you in Larvik.
Fine. Larvik. See you there soon.
Thank you. For that… and for your help in the garden. I’d not have managed without you.
It was nothing.
Geralt, you know me. I’m rare to praise, but when I do, it is sincere.
Yes, ladies and gentleman, that's a "Thank you" by Yennefer. Nothing to see here, oh wait.

Look at that smirk, getting a "thank you" by Yennefer must be something

This following dialogue only appears here already, when you have other "more important business" to do, you will have this talk immediately, because the next quest is optional. Of course Geralt, I went with the first option, because why wouldn't Geralt decline request of help from his love of life

Need a bit of time. Gotta tend to something first.
Can we do this later…? Sorry, need to take care of something.
Well, if you must, you must. I shall wait for you in Larvik for a time. If you don’t make it, we’ll meet in Vizima.
She shows understanding towards him, too. If he has other important stuff to do and he says so, so be it, she won't force him to do it against his will. It's just a plea by her, however Geralt can decline it (despite what he can say in an earlier alternate dialogue!).

After all, we do owe the emperor a report.
Ciri’s our concern. Ours alone.
Perhaps. But that is not what we agreed with Emhyr. We must see him.
She reminds him that he and she agreed to Emhyr, she has a lot more of experience in politics and we all know what happens when Geralt is involved in politics, usually nothings good. She is again reasonable.

Awfully loyal of you…
Being awfully loyal to your patron.
He’s your patron as well, dear. Don’t forget that lest he remind you of it himself.
Yup, Geralt listened to Emhyr and even though he didn't really agree to anything, he is still involved in it, whether he wants it or not.

I refuse to report to him.
I refuse. Don’t have the slightest intention of reporting to him.
Fine… I can’t force you.
!!!! She can't force Geralt to do anything, so stop that bullshit with being a dog or subordinate to her. If he does something for her, then it is voluntary and in particular not because of a wish...but this will be a much longer post I am afraid.

So be it.
If we gotta, we gotta. So be it.
We’d never have known Ciri had returned if not for Emhyr and his agents. We owe him this.
Did I say reasonable? I think I did. Again, politics, you don't have to like it, but you need someone who knows how to play it. Pissing off the biggest military leader in the known world is probably not the greatest idea ever.

I didn't like it either, I didn't like the whole idea of Emhyr getting his precious daughter back after what happened in the books, but as I said, pissing him off doesn't seem to be the smartest thing ever, however I did it anyway

So, what's the difference, if you have done Morkvarg before doing this quest?

Already killed the monster in the garden.
This Morkvarg… half-man, half-wolf?
Yes…
Won’t bother you anymore. Already killed it.
I know… Craven went there before you but has yet to return.
Didn’t see him in the garden… Doesn’t bode well. Don’t know if there’s much point in going there. [this is wrong, I found him and interacted with him]
Even if he’s dead… we could find some clues near his body.
Let’s hope.
Hopeful and determined, if there is a problem, they will find a solution.

You didn’t mention your heroic battle with this Morkvarg character…
You know me… Don’t like to take my work home…
Mhm. I’m afraid you don’t like home – the very concept of it.
I asked you once to move to Vengerberg for me. Remember? Was that ever a row…
Yeah… Those were the days…
Yeah, those days, when Geralt was running away, because he couldn't live for a longer time at one place. Unable to face problems and rather runs away instead of dealing with it.

Ivy-covered walls, a mysterious garden… Shame we’re not here under different circumstances…

You won’t help me track him… so I don’t see any reason for you to go down there.
You’re right…. Besides, trudging through mud in these heels would be murder.
"You're right" just let that sink in, she is agreeing that Geralt is right. So much for "Geralt always have to agree with what she says."-bullshit.

But now you will tell me, "Kallelinski, I thought you have an issue with this quest and how Yennefer is represented in it, however all you do is complaining about Geralt, so what's the issue?"

I will tell you, but it's even better, when I show you the difference.

First off Geralt isn't religious, just the way Yennefer is, but both respect religions and cults and they don't mock those, who worship them.

The Last Wish
“For a torn neck.” The priestess grimaced. “Oh, well, it's a question of price. But you did well to turn cash into these trinkets. The oren is weak and the cost of stones in Wyzim isn't high; it's too near to the dwarves’ mines in Mahakam. If you sell those in Novigrad, you'll get at least five hundred Novigrad crowns, and the crown, at present, stands at six and a half orens and is going up.”
“I’d like you to take them.”
“For safekeeping?”
“No. Keep the nephrites for the temple as, shall we say, my offering to the goddess Melitele. And the remaining stones…are for her. For Yennefer. Give them to her when she comes to visit you again, which will no doubt be soon.”

[...]

“I’ll willingly listen to them. But a trance, I repeat, would do no harm.”
“Don't you think”—he smiled—“that my lack of faith makes such a trance pointless?
“No, I don't. And do you know why?”
“No.”
Nenneke leaned over and looked him in the eyes with a strange smile on her pale lips.
“Because it would be the first proof I’ve ever heard of that a lack of faith has any kind of power at all.”

[...]

“Let's talk, Iola.
“I need this conversation. They say silence is golden. Maybe it is, although I’m not sure it's worth that much. It has its price certainly; you have to pay for it.
“It's easier for you. Yes it is, don't deny it. You're silent through choice; you've made it a sacrifice to your goddess. I don't believe in Melitele, don't believe in the existence of other gods either, but I respect your choice, your sacrifice. Your belief. Because your faith and sacrifice, the price you're paying for your silence, will make you a better, a greater being. Or, at least, it could. But my faithlessness can do nothing. It's powerless.
“You ask what I believe in, in that case.
I believe in the sword."

[...]

“Nenneke,” he said, reaching for his shirt. “I hope you're not annoyed that—You won't punish her, will you?”
“Fool,” the priestess snorted. “You've forgotten where you are. This is neither a hermitage nor a convent. It's Melitele's temple. Our goddess doesn't forbid our priestesses anything. Almost.”
“You forbade me to talk to her.”
“I didn't forbid you. But I know it's pointless. Iola doesn't speak.”
“What?”
“She doesn't speak. She's taken a vow. It's a sort of sacrifice through which…Oh, what's the point of explaining; you wouldn't understand anyway. You wouldn't even try to understand. I know your views on religion. No, don't get dressed yet. I want to check your neck.”

When Yennefer was teaching Ciri magic in Blood of Elves at the temple of the Melitele, this dialogue occurs:
Blood of Elves
“Lady Yennefer? How does it work with this drawing of the force? If I gather force into myself then there might not be enough left down below. Is it right to do that? Mother Nenneke taught us that we mustn’t take anything just like that, for the fun of it. Even the cherry has to be left on its tree for the birds, so that it can simply fall.”
Yennefer put her arm around Ciri, kissed her gently on the hair at her temple.
I wish,” she muttered, “others could hear what you said. Vilgefortz, Francesca, Terranova… Those who believe they have exclusive right to the force and can use it unreservedly. I wish they could listen to the little wise ugly one from Melitele’s Temple. Don’t worry, Ciri. It’s a good thing you’re thinking about it but believe me, there is enough force. It won’t run out. It’s as if you picked one single little cherry from a huge orchard.

She doesn't use those powers how much and whenever she wants it, she wished more people would see how destructive this can be for nature. This is quite contrary to what happened in the game, where she draws every little force out of the garden to use necromancy, but in the game it was needed. She wouldn't haven done it, if it wasn't avoidable. The game tries to show that she is remorseful about that, that she is not happy with this either, but what had to be done, had to be done.
It is for the sake of Ciri, however a really similar situation will occur later in the books, in the Tower of the Swallow and that's where the problem lies.

For some context, Ciri is missing, Geralt is on a trip through the world to find Ciri, unsuccessfully, and Yennefer was held captive by the Lodge until she could escape with the help of Fringilla. When she got through the portal, she landed in the sea, close to Skellige, where she is picked up by a boat.

Yennefer earned a good reputation in that short time she was there:
The audience began to murmur. Hardly two months had passed since the events on Thanedd Island, and they still remembered the names of the Nilfgaard-bought traitors. Especially the famous Yennefer.
‘We had her,’ the woman from the islands continued, ‘brought her from Ard Skellig to Kaer Trolde, to the earl Crach an Craite. Since then I have not seen her. The earl was away on a trip, it is said, and when he came back the magician was severely received, but later he treated her politely and kindly. Hmmm… But I've just been waiting for a vengeful surprise for me from the sorceress, cause I walloped her one with the oar. I thought she might blacken me to the Earl. But no. She didn't speak a word of complaint that I know of. A decent woman. Later, when she killed herself, I even felt sorry for her…’

When she was waiting for Crach an Craite, this happened:
A young, pregnant woman with a thick blond braid supported her belly with both hands, moaned, turned a dull, pale colour, and fainted, falling on the boards of the terrace like a ragged curtain from its rings. Yennefer jumped out immediately, sank to her knees, and pressed her fingers against the abdomen of the woman. She shouted a spell to suppress the spasms and convulsions, and to strongly secure the tissue of the uterus and placenta together against the force that threatened to tear them apart. For safety, she laid a soothing spell on the child, whose legs she could feel kicking under her hands.
In order not to waste her magic strength, she brought the woman to consciousness with a slap to the face. ‘Take her away. Carefully.’
‘Such a fool…’ said one of the elderly women. ‘What was she thinking…’
‘Quite headless… Perhaps her man lives, maybe he is in a different boat…’
‘Thank you for your help, Lady Sorceress.’
‘Take her away,’ Yennefer repeated and stood up. She stifled a curse as she realized that her kneeling had caused her dress seam to burst.

She doesn't care right now what happens with her, everything has to wait, because her daughter is in danger. This is her top priority and nothing else matters.

‘So I,’ Crach took up the conversation again, as he sucked the flesh from the broken leg joints of the lobster, ‘have decided to trust you, Yennefer. You should know I do not do this for your sake. The Bloedgeas, the blood oath that I gave in front of Calanthe, practically binds my hands. So if you plan to help Ciri, genuinely and honestly – which I assume is true – it seems to me that I have no choice but to help you in this endeavour…’

‘Thank you. But please spare me that pathetic tone. I repeat: I did not participate in the conspiracy on Thanedd. Trust me.’

‘Agreed,’ he said finally, wiping his hands on the tablecloth. ‘I believe it. Because I want to believe it. But asylum and refuge, I will not grant you. I cannot. You can leave the Skellige Islands whenever and to wherever you want. I would recommend hurrying. You are here, as we say ‘on the wings of magic’. Others may arrive on your trail. They also know the spells.’
‘I do not seek asylum or safe haven, Earl. I search. I must hurry to help Ciri.

I repeat, Ciri is not in Nilfgaard. And what my witcher, as you call him, intends to do, I do not know. But he… Crach, it's no secret that he and I… that I am sympathetic to him. But I know he will not save Ciri. He will achieve nothing. I know him. He’ll get caught up, lost in his own philosophizing, and wallow in self pity. He’ll vent his anger and hack at anyone and anything he comes across. Then, in expiation, he’ll do some grand, but pointless deed. In the end, he’ll be slain, stupidly and needlessly, most likely by a stab in the back.
‘It is said’, Crach threw in quickly, frightened by the ominous changes and strange trembling voice of the sorceress, ‘that Ciri is his destiny. I've seen it myself, back in Cintra, at Pavetta’s betrothal…’
‘Predestination,’ Yennefer sharply interrupted him, ‘can be interpreted in different ways. Very different ways. However, time is too precious for such discussions. I repeat, I do not know what he's up to and whether Geralt intends anything. I accept that. In my own way. And act, Crach, act. I do not care to sit here, crying and holding my head in my hands. I will act!

The Earl raised his eyebrows, but said nothing.
I will act’, repeated the sorceress. ‘I've been thinking of a plan. And you, Crach, will help me, true to the oath that you have taken.’
‘I'm ready,’ he announced firmly. ‘Right now. The dragon boats are in the harbour. Command, Yennefer.’
She could not resist bursting into laughter.
This is exactly how the game describes her, she acts and only cares for Ciri, even her own well-being is secondary right now.

But now the problem comes. She needs a working Megascope, but for that she needs a really big jewel, but there is no jewel big enough, except for one.

‘How do you imagine that I do that, Yennefer?’ Crach an Craite frowned. ‘Shall I send out soldiers to take this temple by storm and plunder? Should I threaten the priestesses with my wrath if they do not give up the diamond? This is not an option. I'm not particularly religious, but a temple is a temple and priests are priests. I can only ask politely. I can specify how much it means to me and how big my gratitude will be. But it will always be only a request. A modest, humble request.’
‘A request may be granted?’
Yes. An attempt will do no harm. What is there to lose? We two will travel to Hindarsfjall and recite this request. I will let the priestesses understand that I am keen. And then it's up to you. Negotiate. Argue. Try bribery. Appeal to the ambition.

Appeal to your common professions. Cry despairingly, twist into convulsions, excite pity… In all, act like a monkfish. Shall I give lessons, Yennefer?’
There is no use, Crach. A sorceress will never find a common ground with a priestess. Both are too certain about… ideological differences. And to allow a sorceress to use a ‘holy' relic or artefact… No, forget it. There is no chance…

She doesn't mock priestesses, there is just no mutual friendship between sorcerers and priests, too different in their ideologies.

‘One would not even need cut it,’ whispered Yennefer. ‘It has a rosette cut, exactly what I need. Just the right facets for the refraction of light…’
‘That means we're in luck.’
Hardly. Here they are priestesses, and I'm a ungodly witch to be thrown out in disgrace.
‘You're exaggerating?’
‘Not a bit.’
‘Be welcome, Earl, in the temple of the Mother. Be thou also welcome, worthy Yennefer of Vengerberg.

The priestess was tall, almost as big as Crach – and that meant that she was a head taller than Yennefer. She had light hair and eyes, and an elongated, not very pretty and not very womanly face.
I have seen her somewhere, thought Yennefer. Recently. Where?
‘On the steps of Kaer Trolde, leading to the seaport,’ the priestess reminded her, smiling. ‘When the ships arrived in the sound. I stood over you as you helped a pregnant woman who was about to lose her child. On your knees, without worrying about your very expensive camlet dress. I saw that. And will never again tell stories of callous and calculating sorceresses.’
Yennefer cleared her throat and bowed her head.

She did something selfless without any ulterior motive, but only to help and the priestess realized that.

‘Take the Brisingamen from the Goddess' neck?’ Repeated Sigrdrifa, the disbelief in her voice battling holy outrage. ‘No, Yennefer. That is simply impossible. It does not even matter that I would not dare… Even if I would dare, the Brisingamen cannot be removed. The necklace has no clasp. It is connected with the statue.’
Yennefer remained silent for a long moment, measuring the priestess with a calm eye.
If I had known,’ she said coldly, ‘I would have left immediately with the Earl for Ard Skellig. No, no, I think the time I spent talking to you was by no means wasted. But I have very little of it. Truly, very little. I confess, your kindness and warmth misled me a little…
‘I wish you well,’ Sigrdrifa interrupted her indifferently. ‘Also, I approve of your plans, with all my heart. I knew Ciri. I loved that child, her fate moved me. I admire you for the determination with which you rush to help the child. I will fulfil your every wish. But not the Brisingamen, Yennefer. Not the Brisingamen. Please, do not ask.’
Sigrdrifa, to come to Ciri's rescue I have to quickly acquire some knowledge. Some information. Without it, I am powerless. Knowledge and information that I can only get in the way of telecommunications. In order to communicate over long distances, I need to construct, with the help of magic, a magic artefact. A megascope.
Yennefer asks for it and not just take it.

‘A device such as your famous crystal ball?’
‘Much more complicated. A crystal ball allows telecommunications only with a different ball that has been attuned to it. A dwarf at the local bank even has a crystal ball – to communicate with the ball in the vault. A megascope offers somewhat greater opportunities… But why theorize? Without the diamond it does not matter anyway. Well, I'll say goodbye…’
‘Not so fast.’
Sigrdrifa got up, walked through the nave, and stopped in front of the altar and the statue of Modron Freyja. ‘The Goddess,’ she said, ‘is also the patron of psychics. Of clairvoyant women. Of telepaths. This is symbolized by the sacred animals: the cat who watches and listens in secret, and the falcon, who looks down from high above. It is symbolized by the jewel of the Goddess: the Brisingamen, the collar of clairvoyance. Why build any seeing and listening devices, Yennefer? Is not it easier to turn to the Goddess for help?’
Yennefer restrained herself from cursing at the last moment. After all, this was a place of worship.
‘It is almost time for the evening prayer,’ continued Sigrdrifa. ‘Together with the other priestesses, I will dedicate my time to meditation. I'm going to ask the Goddess to help Ciri. For Ciri was here in this temple many a time and has many a time seen the Brisingamen on the neck of the Great Mother. Sacrifice another hour or two of your valuable time, Yennefer. Stay here with us for the time of prayer. Support me while I pray. With your thoughts and your presence.’
‘Sigrdrifa…’
‘Please. Do it for me. And for Ciri.’
She brings up the necessary respect and doesn't act against them. She respects her decision and accepts it, she doesn't work around.

And now comes the part, where Yennefer comes into contact with the superstition and she has to come in terms with herself before she is granted anything.
‘Yennefer.’
She lifted her head suddenly.
It was dark in the temple. It smelled strongly of smoke.
‘Did I fall asleep? Forgive me…’
‘There is nothing to forgive. Come with me.’

‘How much will you sacrifice Yennefer?’
‘What?’
‘Are you willing to sacrifice yourself? Your priceless magic?’
‘Sigrdrifa,’ she said angrily. ‘Do not try these hackneyed tricks with me. I'm ninety-four years old. But please, do not treat that as a confession. I trust you just to let you know that you cannot treat me like a child.’
‘You have not answered my question.’
‘And I will not. Because I do not agree with this mysticism. I fell asleep at your service. I got bored. Because I do not believe in your goddess.
Sigrdrifa turned around, and Yennefer involuntarily took a very deep breath.
‘Your disbelief is not too flattering for me’, said the woman, whose eyes were full of liquid gold. ‘But does your disbelief do anything?
The only action Yennefer could take was to exhale.

‘It's an illusion, a trance… I will not go anywhere!’
I will not force you. That would be shameful. You're an intelligent, proud girl. Have character.
A plain. A sea of grass. Heath. A rock that rises from the heather like the back of a lurking predator.
You have asked for my jewel, Yennefer. I cannot give it to you, not without making sure of certain things beforehand. I want to see what's inside you. That's why I brought you here, to this place, which has been a place of knowledge and power from time immemorial. Your priceless magic is supposed to be everywhere. All you have to do is reach out for it. Are you afraid to stretch for it?

Yennefer could not bring any sound out of her constricted throat.

‘Are you ready now?’ Asked the squirrel. ‘Are you willing to sacrifice? What are you willing to sacrifice?’
‘I have nothing!’ The pain blinded and paralyzed her. ‘And even if I had anything I do not believe in the meaning of such sacrifice! I do not want to suffer for millions! I do not want to suffer at all! For anybody!’
‘No one wants to suffer. But that is the fate of each. And some suffer more. Not necessarily of their own volition. It's not about to enduring the suffering. It's about how you endure it.’
Oh, and she will suffer, for a long time, later, but she is willing to take this risk, this suffering for her, for Ciri.

But before she is granted anything, she has to accept herself.

Jana! Janchen!
Take this hunchbacked monster away from me! I do not want to see it!
This is your daughter, just like mine.
Really? The children I have fathered are normal.
How dare you insinuate… to…
There were sorceresses in your elven family. You aborted your first pregnancy. It follows that your elf blood and womb are spoiled, woman. Why do you bring this monster into the world?
This unfortunate child… This was the will of the gods! This is your daughter, just like mine! What should I do? Strangle her? Tie off the umbilical cord? What do want from me? To go into the forest and leave her there? What do you want from me, by the gods?
Dad! Mama!
Go away, you monster.
How dare you? How dare you to hit the child? Stop? Where are you going? Where? To her, yes? To her!
Indeed, woman. I am a man, I can appease my desire where I want, when I want. This is my birthright. And you make me sick. You and the fruit of your correspondingly degenerate belly. Do not wait for dinner. I will not come back tonight.
Mama…
Why are you crying?
Why did you hit me and push me away? I was good…
Mama! Dear Mama!

‘Are you able to forgive?’
‘I have long since forgiven.’
‘After you avenged only too well.’
‘Yes.’
‘Are you sorry?’
‘No.’

Pain, terrible pain that ate away her hands and fingers.
‘Yes, I'm guilty! Did you hear that? Confession and repentance? Did you hear how Yennefer of Vengerberg repented and humbled herself? No, I do not do this favour for you. I confess my sins and I expect the punishment. But I will not beg you for mercy!’
The pain reached the limits of what can a person could endure.
‘You reminded me of the betrayed, the duped, the exploited, you reminded me of he who died by his own hand, by my hand… The fact that I once laid hands on myself? I obviously had reasons! And I have no regrets! And even if I could turn back time… I have no regrets.’
The hawk perched on her shoulder. The Tower of the Swallow. The Tower of the Swallow. Hasten to the Tower of the Swallow. Daughter.

‘Yennefer. Wake up.’
She threw up her head. She looked at her hands. She had both. Salvation.
‘Sigrdrifa? I fell asleep…’
‘Come’
‘Where?’ She whispered. ‘Where to this time?’
‘What? I do not understand. You have to see. Something has happened… Something strange. None of us knows why or how this can be explained. But I can guess. The grace… You may have fallen to the grace of the goddess, Yennefer.
‘What are you talking about, Sigrdrifa?’
‘Look.’
She looked up. And sighed loudly.
Brisingamen, the sacred jewel of Modron Freyja no longer hung on the neck of the goddess. It lay at her feet.

This is how she got what she needed. Not by just taking it, not by stealing, not by cheating, but by respect, self-awareness and self-acceptance and with that she was given the jewel, because Freya saw just a mother caring for her daughter and she realized that Yennefer would do anything for her.

‘Do I hear you right?’ Crach an Craite asked again. ‘You are going to establish your magical workshop on Hindarsfjall? The priestesses gave the sacred diamond to you? You can use it in your infernal machine?’
‘Yes.’
‘Well, well, Yennefer, have you converted then? What happened there on the island?’
‘It doesn't matter. I'm returning to the temple, and that's final.’

Sigrdrifa, the priestess of Modron Freyja, bowed her head low, as if the Earl’s conversation dragged her down like a thousand-pound weight. ‘She trusts me, Earl,’ she murmured almost inaudibly. ‘She has not asked that I promise not to disclose, but discretion was obviously implied. I really do not know if…’
‘Modron Sigrdrifa.’ Crach an Craite interrupted seriously. ‘What I ask for is not a betrayal. Like you, I support Yennefer. Like you, I hope that she finds and rescues Ciri. Ha, I've taken a Bloedgeas, a blood oath! But Yennefer worries me, I am guided by concern for her. She is an inordinately proud woman. Even if she had to undertake a very great risk, she would not be reduced to asking for assistance. Therefore, it may be necessary to rush to help her unbidden. To do this, I need information.’
Sigrdrifa cleared her throat. Her face was expressionless.
But as she spoke, her voice trembled a little. ‘She has designed this machine… Actually that's not a machine, because there is no mechanism, only two mirrors, a black velvet curtain, the housing, two lenses, four lamps, and of course the Brisingamen… If she says a spell, the two lamps light and…’
‘Let's leave out the details. With whom does she communicate?’
‘She has spoken with several people. With sorcerers -… Earl, I have not heard much, but from what I have heard… There are not really any worthy people among them. None of them unselfishly wanted to help… They have asked for money… They have all asked for money…’
‘I know,’ murmured Crach. ‘I’ve seen the transfers she’s made from my bank account. A pretty, oi, a beautiful chunk of money my oath has cost me! But money comes and goes. What I’ve spent on Yennefer and Ciri, I'm going to repeat on the Nilfgaardian provinces. But keep talking, Mother Sigrdrifa.’
‘Some’ – the priestess bowed her head -’Yennefer blackmailed easily. She indicated that she was in possession of compromising information and that if cooperation was refused she would reveal it to the whole world… Earl… She is a wise and good woman, all in all… But she has no qualms at all. She is ruthless. And merciless.

‘Ciri is not in Nilfgaard. And Geralt does not pursue any plan. Planning is not one of his strong points. Never mind. What is important is that it is the twenty-sixth day of September and I still know too little. Not enough to do something… Unless…’
She trailed off, looking out the window, and played with the black velvet ribbon attached to the star of obsidian.
‘Unless?’
Instead of me laughing at Geralt, I could try his method.’
‘I do not understand.’
I could try to sacrifice myself. Sacrifice will pay off, yes, show good character… And it is in the shape of the grace of a goddess. She loves and appreciates those who sacrifice and suffer for a cause.
He frowned. ‘I still do not understand. But I don't like what you are saying, Yennefer.’
‘I know. Me neither. But I've already gone too far… Perhaps the lion should hear the lamb’s complaint…’

So what exactly is the difference?

In the game she does what is necessary, but without the consent of the local cult. The very same cult she still asked for permission in the books, so why didn't she do it this time? Why did she disregard the priestesses this time and did just what was necessary?

In both scenarios Ciri's life was in danger, in both scenarios she had no other trail anymore, in both scenarios something very precious was needed. In one a giant jewel and the other one a huge amount of force, but for one she asked, but not for permission of using the garden.

I personally don't hold too much of a grudge of her for using the garden's force, if at all, the garden will regenerate with time and it had to be done, otherwise we would have never learned about Uma and his connection to Ciri, and I also believe her- I know that she felt shitty after it, that she truly wasn't happy about it either, but there is still this strange feeling that it could have been "better" handled.

It's clear that she felt lousy, miserable and wretched about it, but I would have liked to see that she tries to make up for it, at least a little bit. She doesn't regret that she did it, no, it had to be done, but she regret that it had to be done this way and there was no way around.

So what should she have done to "pay back" something? Why not let her go with CIri and Geralt to look after Skjall? Why not let her participate in his proper burial?
Imagine you tell Ciri that there is no time for that and then Yennefer says that we can of course make time for that.

It would give her another opportunity to show that while it had to be done, she didn't like it one bit either, but at the same time it would show that she cares more about what happens with him, a nobody to her, than his own clansmen. It would be a nice end to it for all three in the end.

And maybe the problem is just that we see everything from Geralt's perspective, in the books it was seen from Yennefer's perspective. We can even see her thoughts and her struggle with herself.

So in the end it's not a question of whether you should use the garden or not, but whether you trust and believe her that she also felt as bad as you did after it, to show understanding and not just judgement.

A thousand thanks to you, Kallelinski. Your posts about Yen are always a delight to read :)

Top Bottom