Explaining Yennefer's behaviour in the game (with a canon Geralt as partner)

+
I bet Kallelinski, after reading latest pages of this thread, is like

Guest 3842753

For me personally, my favorite Yen / Geralt interaction is from the novel when he finds her in the tower as prisoner and how she trusts him to cut through the collar /shackle on her neck. I can't do justice to the scene here, but everything about that scene - how Yen's demeanor changes upon seeing him, her dialogue to her captors - all of it translates into two people who are connected at a very deep level.
That was a great bit. I also liked the paragraph directly before it:

He found her. And it was fast. He met them out of the blue, totally unexpected when running around a corner in the corridor. He was met with a sight that made his blood boil and the veins stick out on the back of his hands.
Yennefer was being dragged down the hall by a group of guards. She was ragged and bound in chains, but it did not prevent her from putting up a fight with her captors and swear at them like a porter.
I love how she's fighting and cussing them out even when shackled, wounded and exhausted after months of captivity.

I actually planned this weekend to catch up my big threads on this weekend, but a certain patch prevented that now, didn't expect it before this weekend. I haven't read yet what was written since my last post, but seeing that it got more pages this time than last time :)

So originally I wanted to do this chronological, but given the circumstances I will look at the new added dialogues now first before I come to the highlight.

[video=youtube;JD-MxkaoHRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD-MxkaoHRk[/video]

I-- Maybe I'll give you two a moment.
Triss, please…
No, no. You must've missed each other terribly, A minute's delay won't hurt anyone.

No. We'd better all go now.
No, we should get going. They're waiting for us.

Fine. A minute, then we go.
Fine. So a minute, then we go, all right?
Hm. This just a little awkward…
Forty-five seconds.
Huh?
We've forty-five seconds left. Well, thirty, now. And then we throw the gauntlet at the Wild Hunt. So I beg you, use these seconds well.
Yen, I adore you.
Hm. No points for creativity. But for your candor…
Time to go.
Really strange I have to say. Yennefer and Geralt already spent a night at Kaer Morhen, why do they need a minute now?

If at all this would have been the perfect moment to have a moment for a family, since you know, all 3 are finally back together?!

Yet it's only one single compliment by Geralt towards Yennefer, "no points for creativity." hehe, get it?

Feels like they included it just there is something for her, too. If they really wanted to give something to Yennefer, they should have made Ciri call her mother. One single word would have been so much better.

Need your advice. It's about Yennefer.
So… need your advice. About Yennefer.
Very well. Ask away.
Thing is… I'd like to take her somewhere. Once it's over. Someplace… picturesque, beautiful, even. Where we can rest.
You've been almost everywhere. Also know Yen well. Any ideas? I was thinking Spalla, or maybe Dol Blathanna…?
The first roadside inn you pass. Take her there. Pay for a month in advance, carve "Do not disturb" into the room door and shut it behind you.
Huh. Just like that?
Just like that.

I liked that one, he is asking her, because she knows her well, too. It's just a bit sad that things like this are not more often in the game, to see that Ciri cares for Yennefer, that she cares for them equally.

Holding up all right?
You, uh, holding up all right?
Ugh, it'll be a hard slog for everyone…
You know what I mean.
What'm I supposed to say? I mean, I knew you and Yennefer… that you'd end up back together. It was a lost cause, always.
I guess so. I just don't want you to--
Can we not dwell on it? I need to focus on other things now.
Right. Understood.

Well, it's not about Yennefer per se, however it only appears when you are with Yennefer, so I thought I include it, as it is the closure for what those two had in the games, not perfect, but better than the farewall at the port. Things are cleared up now, well, at least a bit... (still can't talk about the amnesia with her...).

Our encounter with the djinn - feeling any effects?
So, feel any different after our encounter with the djinn?
Yes. Now I feel… regret.
Mean to say that--?
That I regret we didn't try that earlier. Much earlier.
Think we would've argued less?
Quite the opposite. But the other moments would have been more intense as well.
Moments like this.

Neat, although unnecessary. I think it is ok to use the wish in the same-named quest, but here the wish has to serve again for something, even though the wish shouldn't be an issue in the first place, but at least it shows again that their feelings are unaffected by that, on the contrary they seem to be even stronger than before ;)

You know… perhaps it's not my concern, but… I'm glad you and Yennefer have ended up together.
Me too.
You took your time.
Hm. Guess we both needed a while to grapple with it.
So what was it like? You know, when the wish lost its hold. What did you feel?
Hmm. Well, there we were, the two of us, on the mountain top. I looked at her, and…
And felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be. At long last.

Again the wish...., but YAY, Ciri is speaking out for Yennefer? Finally something.

Maybe it's her after all, however I really wonder, whether the devs really read what many of us wrote before, because I don't feel like any problem a Yen-fan like me had is being considered here, it's like they are missing the point. I know the thread was massive back then, that's why I collected posts and put them together, though most of them pretty much wanted the same: a reunited family.

I didn't need another compliment by Geralt for Yennefer or another proof of love by them to each other.

I know that Geralt can be cheesy, I know that they love each other and they already showed that in the game before this patch.

All I ever wanted is that those three are back together just like in the books, I just wanted the family back, I wanted Ciri to treat Yennefer the way she treats Geralt, to treat her like the mother she is for her, to treat and care for her just like Yennefer does for her.

I don't want to be ungrateful, I am thankful that they also added something for Yennefer, but while they gave Triss-fans exactly what they wanted, I wonder if those additional lines for Yennefer are just there, because it would look weird, if only Triss would get something, so people like me don't get upset about it.

Maybe it was already too late for changes, maybe the voice actors already did those lines, so they couldn't be changed anymore, but I really wonder, whether this is suppose to be the answer to our concerns. As I said in the other thread, what else am I suppose to do to show what I mean?

I am actually quite happy with what we got, not everything is perfect either (as seen with the Garden or the really terrible break-up in The Last Wish), however it is still mostly good enough as I hopefully showed in this thread. Pretty much every dialogue between those two is great. Whenever they talked with each other, it felt always natural and unforced, and I guess the animations and voices did also their best (especially her facial expressions).

The only thing that was really missing was the family thing or in particular the mother-daughter relation and I still don't see it handled well, if at all.

Triss is still insecure in game.

Most people on these forums, I would say, probably agree that Red write both women's personalities closer to the early books personas.

I still find it kind of a shame that Sapkowski never wrote in neither short stories, nor novels the time when Triss and Geralt were together after Gerals in midnight fled Vengerberg castle.

It was described only in four moments - first when Triss arrived at Kaer Morhen upon request of witchers, when Geralt with Yennefer attended ball in Thanned, when Yen spoke to Triss with megascope from Skellige and in the last chapter when Triss and Yennefer were arriving to Rivia.

When I think about it, short story when Geralt saved life of merchant from Sodden who transported him to his home and there he found Ciri, Geralt went to the Sodden hill where he saw Triss name on memorial and never was mentioned that they had such relation. Sapkowki must have thought about it only later, when he started writing Blood of the Elves.

To the topic of Yennefer: Those who read novels and short stories, her personality is a result of her upbringing. She was physically deformed, with father who was ashamed of her and as result beat her and her mother. Her mothers marriage as result of her birth collapsed and she resented her as well. Until magic fixed her spine, she was bitter, cold, hateful and distrusting. That left its scars even long decades after that.

Though I really start disliking her after reading A shard of ice where Yennefer brought Geralt to city where she arrived in the first place to plow another sorcerer. Her "indecisiveness" led both Geralt and the sorcerer, both good guys, to nearly suicidal thoughts. Which came only after they agreed on duel to death. After that she just waltzed away from the town because she "couldn´t choose". Even Nenneke asked Geralt many times why is he with her, on which he never had a proper answer. All in all, Yennefer always had to have things her way. No compromise. Even in relationship. From personal experience I know that can never work out well.

From memory, didn't she go there to end things with Istredd in favour of Geralt, only Geralt couldn't bring himself to tell her that he loved her? Then Istredd proposed, throwing a fly in the ointment...

Pretty much. She's there for one last roll in the hay before ending it with Istredd (hence the first kestrel), but he raises the stakes and proposes. And reading Geralt's mind to find out he loves her is not enough at that point, he needs to admit it to her and to himself. She wants him to say it (and it would take him another ~12 years until he finally does).

From memory, didn't she go there to end things with Istredd in favour of Geralt, only Geralt couldn't bring himself to tell her that he loved her? Then Istredd proposed, throwing a fly in the ointment...

Not fully

From the book (I have czech translation so it may be shabby)

Yennefer: You are correct. I need both. I was wrong to think I need only one.

And more importantly:

Witcher was thinkimg for a moment and than decided to strike his foe
"Because" he said "she slept with me last night and not with you"
Istredd took the scull closer and petted it. To witcher annoyance his hand did not shake for a moment
"And you think that gives you greater right?"
"Ony one. Right to deduce consequences"
"Aha" said sorcerer slowly "Allright. As you want. She slept with me this afternoon. Deduce from it any consequences you want, its your right. I already had."

---

She came there to decide between those two. And she could not, so she left them both. In process Geralt got drunk and went into suicidal fight with thieves and Istredd tried to fight Geralt in hopes that he die,

Bravo. Bloody bravo.

I do like how Yen left her mark in Acallah'c's lab . Just when there seemed to be a separation of the family concept boom Yen's little dig .

This next pic no matter how you slice it Geralt and Yen are going to be linked together this is Ciri's family regardless of feelings Avallah'c included . What ever choices made there will always be some sort of bond to someone else .

Any how aside from how things were handled the importance of some of the images can't be over looked . For me it isn't about for book or against book it is the question is it there . @Kallelinski has shown us it is there and what could have been better with Yen I for one will take what I have got .

Not fully

From the book (I have czech translation so it may be shabby)

And more importantly:

Witcher was thinkimg for a moment and than decided to strike his foe
"Because" he said "she slept with me last night and not with you"
Istredd took the scull closer and petted it. To witcher annoyance his hand did not shake for a moment
"And you think that gives you greater right?"
"Ony one. Right to deduce consequences"
"Aha" said sorcerer slowly "Allright. As you want. She slept with me this afternoon. Deduce from it any consequences you want, its your right. I already had."

---

She came there to decide between those two. And she could not, so she left them both. In process Geralt got drunk and went into suicidal fight with thieves and Istredd tried to fight Geralt in hopes that he die,

Bravo. Bloody bravo.

She needed two birds, each one to end the relationship and at the beginning he only had one.
Yennefer was fanatical to have a child and Istredd used this will, conducting research to realize this dream, since Geralt was not even there he never wanted to have something as a child, you can see how he denied Ciri until the last moment.

nikopololive; said:

Yep, she initially only needed 1 bird for dumping Istredd, but after Geralt couldn't say I love you out loud she sadly pulls a bird out of his arm signifying she will breakup with him as well.

Dumping Istredd was always the plan, that's why she went to Aed Gynvael for the farewell shag. His surprise proposal was a temporary wrinkle in that plan. It was never about deciding between the two, rather the whole event was a plot device to learn more about G+Y's respective insecurities and to see if Geralt could live up to the situation. That's why the climax of the story is their little heart to heart talk- melting shard of ice, queen of winter, his supposed lack of emotions and all that stuff. She just wants warmth and has baby fever while he's afraid of commitment so he lies to himself and others using the 'no emotions' excuse. The event serves as a crucible that melts away all fluff to reveal the truth- he's still an immature fuckboy who'd rather consider the passive-aggressiveness of suicide, and/or would rather duel another man instead of simply raising his game, living up to the situation, and committing to her like a grownup. She was basically committed to him, he just couldn't seal the deal. I see this in business deals all too often - people choke and can't sign on the dotted line or can't go for the jugular. She sees this so with surprise and sadness she leaves him for the moment.

All in all they both could've handled the situation better. I think that's what makes the story interesting - Sapko wanted Geralt to grow and here he is doing just that albeit at the size and speed of a snail. It's only after destiny smacks him in the head 3 times with Ciri encounters (and with Yen's urging at Belletyn) that he accepts his role as father. This does not go unnoticed by Yen who sees it as a positive sign of growth- "something more".

I still find it kind of a shame that Sapkowski never wrote in neither short stories, nor novels the time when Triss and Geralt were together

Yeah, it's such a shame that Tolkien never wrote how strongly Aragorn loves Eowyn. Shame he didn't treat well my precious waifu :(

P.S. You always free to start another weepy petition but I'm pretty sure that A.S. will only facepalm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom