Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

Update May 2016:
A video series by @Gilthoniel
Samples from the polish audiobooks + English subtitles from official English translation
just impressive and really really enjoyable.

Did CD Projekt fail Yennefer in The Witcher games?

Yennefer and Ciri’s relationship:

other threads:

The unfulfilled love between Yennefer and Ciri and an incomplete family

Explaining Yennefer's behaviour in the game

Fan Art Thread

Yennefer'ans

The Perfect Yennefer

Actors to play characters from the Witcher / Actors who look like them (*cough* Eva Green, example pics)

Fan translation here!

[SPOILERS] Suggestion: Yennefer and Triss Romance DLC to address the lackluster Epilogue

Excellent Cosplay by @natali_nutmeg they will also release a fan-film about The Witcher, so keep your eyes on it

The Lodge of Sorceresses

The old thread about Yennefer of Vengerberg

Who is Yennefer of Vengerberg?

Yennefer of Vengerberg (born on Belleteyn of the year 1173) — a sorceress who lived in the capital city of Aedirn - Vengerberg. She was the youngest member of the Brotherhood of Sorcerers and later the Lodge of Sorceresses attempted to recruit her. She was the love of the witcher Geralt of Rivia and a mother figure to Ciri, a former royal advisor to king Demavend of Aedirn and a close friend of Triss Merigold.

The lady of Vengerberg was famous for her beauty, even though during the events of The Swallow's Tower she was 94 years old. Yennefer had lots of curly, raven black hair fragrant with lilac and gooseberry perfume, falling in a cascade of curls on the shapely shoulders. Her face was very pale, triangular in shape showing slightly receded chin. Her eyes were cold and sparkling with remarkable violet of a penetrating gaze, in anger blazing with livid, blue-gray fire. Those very eyes also concealed wisdom and imperiousness. Yennefer's nose was slightly too long, mouth was pale with thin and slightly crooked, soft, sweet with lipstick, proud lips. On a long and slender neck hanged a black marigold with a star made of obsidian sparkling with a multitude of tiny diamonds embedded in it.

Yen had pronounced cheekbones, naturally slightly too irregular eyebrows but regulated by hand and emphasized with a charcoal, long eyelashes and petite hands. Even in high-heeled shoes she wasn't tall, was beautiful but threatening, having incredibly thin and slender waist and slender legs. Yennefer's skin was as delicate as this of a sixteen year old girl, breasts were rounded and delicate, with nipples so pale that they were apparent only by their prominence.

She always dressed in black and white, at times wore stockings, wore frilled panties but never wore trivialities with underwire, she didn't need to. Her voice was resonant and mildly derisive. Her overall feminine shape was one of a twenty year old girl and she moved with a natural, unforced grace. She was a quadroon (meaning she had ¼ of elven blood, in her case on her mother's side).​
Alias(es)Jenny (former name)
Yen (used only by Geralt)
Yenna (used by her friends)
ProfessionSorceress
GenderFemale
RaceQuadroon
CultureNorthern Realms
Nationality
AffiliationCouncil of Mages, Lodge of Sorceresses
Eye colorViolet
Hair colorRaven-black
LocationVengerberg, Rinde, several other places in the saga

During the Battle of Sodden Hill she was blinded by Fringilla Vigo, a Nilfgaardian sorceress. Her sight was later magically restored but she still bore the emotional scars.

As most sorceresses, she was sterile. She secretly sought a way of restoring her fertility. She gave her motherly love to Ciri — the child destined for Geralt by the Law of Surprise — teaching her about magic while in Ellander, at the Temple under the watchful eye of Nenneke.
Yennefer first appeared in the short story "The Last Wish" (in The Last Wish short story collection). She later appeared in several more "canon" short stories, including "The Bounds of Reason", "A Shard of Ice" and "Something More", one "non-canon" short story: "Coś się kończy, coś się zaczyna", and of course, all the novels in the Witcher saga.

It is implied in the story "The Last Wish" that her attractive looks were a product of magic and had been acquired during her training, as with most other sorceresses. Geralt notes how her shoulders are slightly lopsided and by the end of the story realizes that Yennefer used to be a hunchback. Nevertheless, his love for her does not diminish.

Source: http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Yennefer

Geralt and Yennefer – The Beginning

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/t...her-3-yennefer

noteworthy links, stuff or just funny things:

Did CD Projekt fail Yennefer in The Witcher games?

Creating The Fierce Women Of The Witcher 3

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1143198...ttle-Sorceress
Geralt and Yen settled far from the war and politics that used to run their lives and one day meet an orphaned dual color eyed girl only a few springs old. Read about a new addition to the family of Yennefer, Geralt and Ciri, a young quadroon girl named Kiko as she finds a place in her new family and takes flight on her own path.

I'm the guy for the realy depressing parts. Shani was written mostly by Karolina Stachyra - in TW3, among others, she was writting Baron dialogues, The Last Wish quest and Ciri & Sorceresses quests in late parts of the game, to mention most recognizable stuff.

Shani has the same voice actress in PL. Not sure about other languages though.

"Hi, I'm Yennefer Of Vengerberg; My Life Is Really Weird" by Eve Beauregard - twitter - facebook - offcial homepage
- the official cosplayer engaged by CDPR to portray Yennefer

yennefer-fan.tumblr by @Gilthoniel

A really good fanfiction (posted 2014) trying to explain much more what happened after Witcher 2 than Witcher 3 did, especially what happened with Yennefer in Nilfgaard. Still a fanfiction, so take it with a grain of salt:

Originally Posted by bichitogamer

Hey! Do you want to read a very very good fan fiction based on the books and the games 1 and 2? Of course... it is Geralt x Yen but it's not only focused on the romance. Not at all, the story has battles, blood, love... hate... and we can see characters like Ciri, Eredin, Emhyr, Iorveth, Saskia, Shani, Philippa, etc etc.

I had very much fun while reading it!

The Witcher 2. The whisper: http://a-d-aether.deviantart.com/gal...26/The-Witcher
Beautifully written by A-D-Aether on Deviantart.

And a little spoiler... Yennefer gets a friend

And a little fragment...
Ciri brightened as she counted the coin. She eagerly and clumsily strapped on her scabbard and sword, and the woman saw the worried looks in the eyes of the witcher and the sorceress: they were hoping she wouldn’t have to use that sword.
The girl practically bounced out the door, ashen hair streaming behind her.
“And don’t let me hear that you ordered vodka and rum again!” the sorceress called after her. She moved to stand but almost squealed when the witcher caught her by the waist and pulled her down on the bed with him.
“No, I have to shave your face before --” the sorceress protested.
“Stop fidgeting and lay here with me for a moment,” the witcher whispered.
The sorceress said something back. Their words were becoming so soft and intimate, the woman had to drift closer to the bed to hear what her dream-self and the witcher were saying.
The witcher kissed the sorceress on the head, somewhere above her eye, and pulled her close as he whispered, “I wish we could stay like this forever, you, me, and Ciri.”
“I know. But I have to go to the Lodge.”
“Or . . . you could ignore those bitches.”
The sorceress laughed softly. “Geralt. You know we can’t ignore them.”
“You’re right. Not any more than we could ignore Vilgefortz.”
They fell silent and both seemed to brood for a moment.
“Let’s never say his name again,” the sorceress said after a pause.

“Agreed.”

Notable Sorceresses (including Yennefer) in the Grimoire

"The Last Wish" Dilemma

English voice actress for Yennefer, Denise Gough

More Yennefer emoticons

Wallpaper Collection by @edwinkyr

A short insight of @Slowdive fanfiction

"In my opinion," says Tomazkiewicz, "There is no Geralt without Ciri and Yennefer."

“Geralt has changed his priorities,” says Mateusz. “He has regained his memory, so he remembers that he had a family once, he wants to find his long lost love – Yennefer, the sorceress.

By the way, the director of TW3 Konrad Tomaszkiewicz was in the Barcelona Gamelab convenction two weeks ago and he was asked this question...

"Triss or Yennefer?" and he answered "Always Yennefer".

Here's the link https://mobile.twitter.com/fergunet/...04396813328384

Curious, eh?

Originally Posted by xxgwxx

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,9645...erce.html?bo=1

^Here's a nice Polish article about Priscilla's song

Aleksandra Motyka, the author of the lyrics, says (more or less, this is my lame translation) :" Transforming Geralt&Yennefer's love story into a ballad was a very ambitious task, but I approached it with an enthusiasm of a hardcore book-fan, as I've just read the whole saga all over again. I was optimistic that I would be able to describe this extraordinary feeling that tied the witcher and the sorceress -just like Jaskier(Dandelion) would.if both of them decided to confide in him openly"

Aleksandra was also responsible for most of Priscilla's lines. When she was writing the song's lyrics, she didn't take into consideration the fact that it's going to be translated into English and other languages - which helped her a lot.

Originally Posted by swordsandroses

Hey guys, if you haven't already, I warmly recommend reading the interview with Andrzej Sapkowski in this thread. It's very insightful about what we're talking in here.

I think this part in particular brings it home as to why people dislike Yennefer:

Interviewer: "The short story The Last Wish (Ostatnie życzenie) is a long metaphor about being very careful what you wish. The way to reach our desires at all costs can be full of dangerous Djinns, meaning unscrupulousness. Here we meet for the first time Yennefer of Vengerberg, who can also be a very dangerous sorceress. Love is born between the two but don't you think it's really too dangerous for Geralt to keep craving for a woman we find out to be not that reliable?"

A. Sapkowski: "Ha! That's what makes the story interesting, don't you think? Being a huge fantasy reader, sometimes I find boring or disgusting the stories where the hero can have sex with any woman, because those women can't wait to have sex with him. In those stories women are the hero's prize, the warrior's reward, and as such they have nothing to say, they can only moan and faint in the hero's strong arms." <----- I recognize a romance option from the game in this description

"I am convinced that only with contact with the other sex - wether it is cause of attraction, care, confrontation or opposition - a hero can fully grow. When I created Yennefer's character I wanted Geralt to fully grow, but then I decided to make things complicated. I created a female character who refuses to be a fantasy stereotype. To please the reader."

I'd like to add a little part of a Sapkowski's nice interview made by FantasyMundo in 2008, taking advantage of one of author's visits to Spain.
Fantasy Mundo

Seeing the 'triangle' compounded by Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri, I can't help seeing in them the scheme of the 'Western traditional family'. Did you have already preconceived the pseudofamiliar development for these characters or the idea came up slowly?
Andrzej Sapkowski

The first thing I did was fighting against stereotypes: the typical hero who seeks a reward, saves the world and has everything all women want from a man. And I've changed the myth, this is about a hero who says 'fuck you and don't bother me anymore'. Putting this hero into different situations, such as being with a woman who also doesn't comply this stereotypes, can be very hard, but also very interesting. Cherchez la fêmme!
PS: You can find the whole interview here > Fantasymundo

more? click here
selected general opinions about Yennefer
more? click here

"Are Geralt and Yennefer made for each other?" by @ajiehb

How Geralt and Ciri changed Yennefer by @Slowdive

dzbrown

oflilacandberries

jockmick

AdamSiuda

AdamSiuda

source

iNeSiNhA

Book quotes (beware spoilers, duh)
more? click here

Yennefer's childhood

Ciri asking Yennefer, when a woman is ready for...

Ciri asking Yennefer what is there between Geralt and her

Trying to explain why Yennefer couldn't decide between Istredd and Geralt

Trying to explain what Geralt sees in Yennefer at the Last Wish

funny moments with Ciri and Yennefer

Triss asks for forgiveness by Yennefer

Geralt and Yennefer utter their love for each other

Yennefer and Ciri (and Geralt) - their relationship in the progression of the books

Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri back together again after a very, very long time

The wedding of Yennefer and Geralt, writing by Sapkowski himself, but it is non-canon (I heard there is still an expansion coming, so maybe~)

"Some of my favorite Yennefer of Vengerberg "quotes" by @Wasaabii28

Wasaabii28's take on the relationship between Yennefer and Ciri

Critical and worrying posts
more? click here

Sagitarii

wichat

wichat

Kallelinski

Kallelinski

Suggestions, ideas and hopes
for more click here

If CDPR decides to take on 0.1% of our suggestions and implement it, it doesn't translate the game will be better for 0.1%. It can easily improve it for 5%, 10% or 50%....

Yennefer in The Witcher 3 ~ Part 1 - Introduction in White Orchard by @Wasaabii28

Yennefer in The Witcher 3 ~ Part 2 - Discussion in Vizima by @Wasaabii28

Wasaabii28's detailed analysis as pdf

Scholdarr's detailed analysis as pdf

swordsandroses

Multimedia

Fan Art Thread

Videos:

NEW:

A video series by @Gilthoniel
Samples from the polish audiobooks + English subtitles from official English translation:

The Wolven Storm - Priscilla's Song [clean polish version with english subtitles]

The Wolven Storm - Priscilla's Song - Multilanguage

Polish English Japanese German French Russian Portugese

The Wolven Storm (Priscilla's Song) - fan edit

Priscilla's Song - rus fan edit

Dialogue at the end of The Last Wish in POV

You are the guy from the ballads?

Cerys wonders about the deal with Yennefer

Giving Yennefer her Crystal Skull back

Giving Yennefer Philippa's megaskop crystal

Talking about the past with the Wild Hunt

Yennefer is flattered

Wrecking the Laboratory as family

Eavesdropping on Ciri and the Lodge

Philippa's view on Geralt's relationships

Yennefer's soundtrack from the polish tv series

Q&A with composers of The Witcher 3 Soundtrack

WITCHER 3 SONG: Wake The White Wolf by Miracle Of Sound

Yennefer 'The Last Wish' Romance Theme Extended

'The Last Wish' Theme Extended

Disabled Kaer Morhen scene thanks @Sarcen

Skellige Fortune Teller

Skellige Widows

Sorceress of Vengerberg (Starring Eve Beauregard & Jon Campling)

Playful Banter Between Geralt and Yennefer in Freya's Garden

Kiss between Geralt and Yennefer (free cam mode)

Banter between them

Tribute to Geralt and Yennefer

My original first post with my first impression
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All-in-One (a bit outdated by now) 499 pages

My appeal to CDPR:

Originally Posted by Kallelinski

In the last few days I went through the whole thread with almost 700 pages now and picked out any comment by any user, which either had a lot of thanks/points and/or seemed interested enough to be seen by others and especially by you, the developers.

I sorted the comments in categories, but some comments could be used for more than one category, but that shouldn’t be such a problem anyway.

First I want to show the various opinions about Yennefer, the one in the books and the one in the game. What people think of her, what people think about your work, about your game.

Then I have collected quite a few worries and concerns about the whole situation with Yennefer, what wasn’t so good, what could have been better and so on.

And the last will be suggestions, ideas and detailed analyses about how one could maybe improve the game, show Yennefer the way it should be.

I can’t expect that anyone reads everything posted here, 700 pages and counting, so I did, twice and several times to correct mistakes and errors.

So even if you can’t comment on anything related to the Yennefer and/or Ciri content @GingerEffect

Would it be possible to hand over these documents to those who can, to those who can change something, to those who we can reach with our worries, concerns and suggestions?
Despite selecting only good, informative and emotional comments, it’s still a lot, but I tried to make it easy to read and even if one doesn’t read everything, I think it would reassure a lot of people to know that this arrived somewhere, where it could change something, maybe.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B78...ew?usp=sharing

Probably best to download and view it then, it has bookmarks too.
bichitogamer

Last edited:
Just a thanks Kallelinski .
You deserve it after all your efforts you invest here :like:

Thank you for this there is a clear understanding of Yennifer . Part of the reason I chose Yen in the Witcher 3 is the questions that arose from Witcher 2 but the biggest one was what kind of person would inflame Geralt to the point of dropping everything to find them . I thnk the scene in Avallach's lab was priceless Garelt and Ciri trashing the place Yen appearing to hold her composure You find out at the end of this scene it wasn't so but in this case though it shows a great counter point to the differences in Geralt and Yen's personalities . Then great wall of Yen stuff real sheds some light to the relationship .

Did you know that not only Yennefer was born at Belleteyn? Geralt made funy comment that if he is not mistaken Ciri was born at Belleteyn too and it was symbolic because other very important woman in his like was born at Belleteyn. I'm re-reading books for the fifth time and still find something new each time :) guess I'm not very attentive.

I hope this thread stay open.:)When i see on the Internet fan art about them as family i feel so sad about the fact that there is little content showing these family together in the Witcher 3 . Yennefer is not just typical women that you have an option to have a romace with. She is mother to Ciri, a woman who spend a lot of time finding a cure for her sterility and didn't find it and find that joy of being a mother in Ciri(thanks to Geralt). I like to see a independent, strong female character in video games and in the books like she is.It wasn't always like that. Once there was many things that destroyng her self-esteem, her soul but she overcome that and find some strengh in her.That for me is inspiration.

This thread is for those interested in discussing the character of Yennefer. If you want to discuss anything else, such as the nature of obsession with video game characters, it doesn't belong here and may be summarily deleted. Moderator's decisions as to whether a deleted post was off topic should be understood to be final.

Affiliation to the lodge? Hm, I don't think so. There should at least be a question mark or a note with a deeper explanation of her relationship to the lodge.

Apart from that, great work again @Kallelinski :)

It's really hard for me to discuss Yen after such a long break.Can't think of anything to discuss :( Any ideas?
Does she ever mention her time in nilfgaard prision and how she get captured, apart that time in White Orchad ???

Last edited:
Affiliation to the lodge? Hm, I don't think so. There should at least be a question mark or a note with a deeper explanation of her relationship to the lodge.

Apart from that, great work again @Kallelinski :)

I wonder if her unwilling affiliation with the Lodge actually led to her spilling the beans to her Nilfgaardian captors (if not to Emhyr personally) and that had something to do with her getting in good enough graces with her captors to be released. Just speculation, but her dislike for the Lodge is not a trivial point.

So many questions, so few answers... I wonder if, for example, a comic about the Crazy Nilfgaardian Adventures of a Vebgerbergian Sorceress (tentative tittle) would do more harm than good, creating more problems with the established story while trying to explain some of the chronological gaps. What I know for sure it's that I will pay good money for that story... (u hear that, @marcin-momot ?).

Well, Yennefer and prisons, we all know how that works.

Guest 3842753

So basically Letho in W2 provide more information on their time in Nilfgaard and in prision than she, still i would like to know what is happening in those two years while she was in Nilfgaardian prision.

After Emhyr's mages restored her memory and probed her mind for information, such as info on the Lodge, wasn't she simply left rotting in a jail cell during that time until Ciri reappeared in the world and Emhyr asked Yen for her help in finding Ciri?

After Emhyr's mages restored her memory and probed her mind for information, such as info on the Lodge, wasn't she simply left rotting in a jail cell during that time until Ciri reappeared in the world and Emhyr asked Yen for her help in finding Ciri?
Well could be like that, still i like to hear that from her and her opinion on situation and all time in prision.

Top Bottom